5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3.5 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I would look at valve seals on a VQ, I noticed one 4th gen this weekend while started up was puffn out a little bit of blue smoke that smelled like oil- for just a second. This indicates bad oil seals on the valves. SR20s when get old burn oil through the valve seals - sometimes.
You talking about me again Heh heh... great to meet you Mike!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Doesnt the increase in the displacement of the engine also increase the size of the cylinder which in turn changes how much cylinder walls you have?

Isnt the block the same as the VQ30 except bored out?

No doubt the VQ30 and the VQ35 is similar, but why is it the the VQ30 is smoother than the VQ35? I have both sitting on my driveway, the VQ30 is definitely smoother than both my 2k2 VQ35 (deceased) and my 2k3 VQ35.

That being said, oil consumption seems to be an issue aroudn here. I am not the only one going back to the dealer for this.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by foobeca
I'm contemplating getting a 02 6spd and I've read from some people here with oil consumption problems with the 3.5 and >80-100k miles. In general, are these isolated cases or does the 3.5 really have a fundamental problem with oil consumption with higher mileage?
My '03 has 45k miles on it, and while it doesn't get beaten, it does get driven fast (two new sets of tires and two sets of brake pads so far...).

It doesn't burn any oil, no difference in level between changes so far (change oil every 3k miles).

Peace.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:14 PM

we have plastic valve cover gaskets which need to be replaced cause they leak. i found oil in my 5th cylinder spark plug resevoir. i know its not much oil loss but there is still a loss and that is not good at all.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:54 PM

I dont believe there are any TSBs for oil consumption. My '03 has had Mobil1 5w-30 since 1500 miles and has yet to leak a drop, although I would like it too since I work at a dealer, and if they replaced the motor for that, I'd have a free, good running 3.5 to tinker with instead of the 3.5 in my garage that ate a screw...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

3.5 oil consumption

I to have a 3.5. I now have 72,500 miles on it and it uses no oil. It is posible that the max whiches uses 3 quarts of mobile within 4000 miles has not been allowed to break in properly. I would suggest that you stop putting the mobil sen_ in for a while, use conventional oil and see what happens. I also had a 99 Max with 138,000 miles on it, no oil usage. best engine I ever had.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
No doubt the VQ30 and the VQ35 is similar, but why is it the the VQ30 is smoother than the VQ35? I have both sitting on my driveway, the VQ30 is definitely smoother than both my 2k2 VQ35 (deceased) and my 2k3 VQ35.
It actually makes a lot of sense. I read an article about it a while back that used actual math and technical terms, but it all boils down to the number and size of the explosions produced per crankshaft revolution in each engine.

The VQ30 and VQ35 are both V6 engines with similar internal designs. One key difference is their respective displacements. The VQ30 displaces 3.0 liters, and the VQ35 displaces 3.5 liters. The two engines share the same V-angle and firing order, and they have an equal number of cylinders, so they must produce the same number of combustions per crankshaft revolution. So far, the two engines sound very similar, right? This is where the displacement difference comes into play. Even though the two engines are producing the same number of explosions (combustions) per crankshaft revolution, the combustions occurring in each of the VQ35's cylinders are larger and more powerful than the ones occurring in each of the VQ30's cylinders. This increases the violence of the end-to-end vibrations in the VQ35. You can read more about the different kinds of vibrations associated with internal combustion engines below.

YOUR SPECIFIC QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED. ALL OF THE INFO BELOW IS STILL RELATED TO ENGINE SMOOTHNESS, BUT IT IS PURELY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WHO WISH TO READ MORE ON THE ISSUE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND BRACE YOURSELF FOR ENDLESS RAMBLING!

Displacement is one of the least important factors in determining an engine's smoothness. The most effective way of making an engine run smoother is to choose an engine design that reduces vibrations. Different engine configurations produce different sets of interacting forces.

1. The "flat" or "boxer" engine (like Subaru's boxer four cylinder) is one of the smoothest types of engines, and it produces almost no vibrations regardless of how many cylinders it has.

2. The "inline" or "straight" engine (like the I4 in Sentras and Civics, the I5 used in some Volvos, and the I6 used by BMW and Jeep) may or may not be smooth, depending on its number of cylinders. Odd-numbered inline engines (I3, I5) don't usually display vertical or horizontal vibration, but they often have end-to-end vibration. I4 engines don't have the end-to-end vibration of I3 and I5 engines, but they display vertical vibration because the two pistons that are moving up travel at a different speed than the two pistons that are moving down. This is why many I4 engines, especially the larger-displacement I4s like the QR25DE in the Altima and the Sentra, have balance shafts to dampen their vertical vibrations. I6 engines are special, because they can be viewed as two mirrored I3 engines. I6 engines, like I3 engines, don't have vertical or horizontal vibration, and instead of one set of end-to-end vibrations, an I6 has two sets of end-to-end vibrations centered around cylinder #2 and cylinder #5, which cancel each other. That's one reason why BMW I6 engines are always praised for being "turbine smooth" and refined.

3. "V" engines are also special. I will only discuss V6 engines here, since V8 engines are a whole other can of worms. The main type of vibration from a V6 engine is end-to-end vibration similar to the vibration from an I3 or I5, and V6 engines require twice as many camshafts as I6 engines. V6 engines are generally inferior to I6 engines in terms of friction, smoothness, and production cost. The main reason why so many automakers use them is because they can take up less space than I6 engines, which helps automakers reduce costs elsewhere in the car. This is especially important for a front-wheel-drive vehicle. Some of the vibration of a V6 can be canceled by a balancer shaft.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:24 AM

"I to have a 3.5. I now have 72,500 miles on it and it uses no oil."

Woah... you must have one of those new ceramic engines.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BP
that's great. truth is neither of us are nissan techs or engineers so your diagnosis of the problem is just conjecture.

my point is you're making a very large scale assumption by saying there's a fundamental problem with the 3.5L engine design and leading others to believe this is a very common problem when it's not.

seeing as you don't know what's really causing the problem it's irresponsible and mis-information for you to warn others that we'll eventually have the same problem you're having. that's all. good luck with your issue.
Actually, I went to school at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology for Mechanical Engineering. Look them up. Better yet, here: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/news/articles/usnews05.htm
As you can see, they're ranked first in the nation for engineering. I think I just qualified my background. Oh, and I grew up in Indiana where we had nothing better to do other than a) plow fields, b) drink beer or c) make cars go VROOOMMM!!!

Now, as far as where the engine is losing oil: there's only one of three places where it can go if it's not leaking on the ground: the rings, the valvesl, or the emissions control system. The valves are possible, but since there's little to no pressure build-up in the valve cover (I rev'd it with the oil-fill cap off and there was no pressure at all at WOT) when I rev the engine, that's pretty much eliminated. I checked the PCV and inspected my intake for oil. Eliminated. Now, I'm left with one thing: the rings. Now, on modern engines which are designed to go 200k+ miles, the rings and piston sleeves are manufactured to last a long time, through a lot of revs. In fact, if you do the math, they should last through about 600 million revolutions or so (200k miles at 3k rpms). Ford and Chevy can build them that way. Why can't Nissan get them to last 100k? Unless Houdini is in my engine making my oil dissapear...
Old 07-28-2005, 04:34 AM

The rings seems like the most likely theory. Nissan probably switched suppliers for the rings and as in the case of the QR25DE, used a "harder" ring witch required a more "babied" break in period to seal properly. There are many documented cases of QR25DEs burning oil, so perhaps for a period Nissan had used the same supplier for the VQ35de, who knows.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by GBAUER
Actually, I went to school at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology for Mechanical Engineering. Look them up. Better yet, here: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/news/articles/usnews05.htm
As you can see, they're ranked first in the nation for engineering. I think I just qualified my background. Oh, and I grew up in Indiana where we had nothing better to do other than a) plow fields, b) drink beer or c) make cars go VROOOMMM!!!

Now, as far as where the engine is losing oil: there's only one of three places where it can go if it's not leaking on the ground: the rings, the valvesl, or the emissions control system. The valves are possible, but since there's little to no pressure build-up in the valve cover (I rev'd it with the oil-fill cap off and there was no pressure at all at WOT) when I rev the engine, that's pretty much eliminated. I checked the PCV and inspected my intake for oil. Eliminated. Now, I'm left with one thing: the rings. Now, on modern engines which are designed to go 200k+ miles, the rings and piston sleeves are manufactured to last a long time, through a lot of revs. In fact, if you do the math, they should last through about 600 million revolutions or so (200k miles at 3k rpms). Ford and Chevy can build them that way. Why can't Nissan get them to last 100k? Unless Houdini is in my engine making my oil dissapear...
I salute you, sir. That is a damn good school.
I'm going to Bucknell for the same thing. Where are you working now? I hope you're making good use of that degree!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:03 AM

I put about 5-6k miles between changes, I don't burn a drop.

26k on the motor.

The amount of oil some guys talk about burning would be blowing blue smoke out of the tail pipe. If you were burning 2 quarts a week, you would look like a crop duster going down the road.

I think a lot of this is related to the really crappy dip strick that is easily misread. WHen I do an oil change, I have to wait 30 minutes to get an accurate reading from the damn thing, I'm pretty sure one of the oil returns go right over the dipstick so it gets all over and has to settle down before you can get a correct reading.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Ford and Chevy can build them that way. Why can't Nissan get them to last 100k? ...
My old 3.0 has 230k and uses no oil ..... Stating Nissan can't is vague, stating they may not on the VQ35 is a better assumption ... Nissan makes great, reliable engines, maybe not the 3.5L, but definately the 3.0L and SR20 ...
Old 07-28-2005, 06:19 AM

Actually, if you bother to think a little logically here, you might find just the opposite. Rubber and most other soft materials tend to break down over time. This means more stuff breaking over more time. Not to mention that it takes time for things to corrode. Trust me, ask anyone locally, nobody can believe my car has as many miles on it as it does. I keep it as clean outside the engine as in. I didn't rev over 4k for the first 1,000 miles (and I drove every last one of those first 1,000 miles). It's pretty darn obvious what the problem is. Ya, I have 120k miles. And, yes, that's not normal, but, then again, if you looked under my hood or in my engine, the fact that you can still practically eat off every surface isn't normal either and should attest to my maintenance. The 3.5 is a modified 3.0, sure, but those modifications were to the very same areas that seem to be having poblems. Coincidence?

Oh, and I've checked the PCV. It isn't that either.
I drive a little under 30,000 miles per year, mostly highway and I am willing to bet my engine is in much better condition than my neighbor who has an 03 but has to commute into Philadelphia everyday.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:32 AM
BP

i guess you're a more qualified nissan engineer than i am.

well it looks like you're closer to finding out the problem with your particular case and maybe others. however there are several 3.5L owners who've checked in on this thread and have no problems. so i haven't seen anything to change my opinion...

Originally Posted by BP
my point is you're making a very large scale assumption by saying there's a fundamental problem with the 3.5L engine design and leading others to believe this is a very common problem when it's not.
i guess we'll have to take a wait and see approach to see if this is really an epidemic or happens on a small scale. good luck digging into your issue. keep us informed.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by phobix
The rings seems like the most likely theory. Nissan probably switched suppliers for the rings and as in the case of the QR25DE, used a "harder" ring witch required a more "babied" break in period to seal properly. There are many documented cases of QR25DEs burning oil, so perhaps for a period Nissan had used the same supplier for the VQ35de, who knows.
Finally, a good response. Short of tearing down the engine or speaking directly to the VQ35 project manager, I think this is the best explaination.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
I salute you, sir. That is a damn good school.
I'm going to Bucknell for the same thing. Where are you working now? I hope you're making good use of that degree!
Thanks. Unfortunatly, I don't do jack with my degree. Instead, I'm now a manufacturer's rep selling large water pumps to municipalities. I guess I still use some of it, but not as much as I could. The bright side is that I make a lot more than most engineers I know...
Old 07-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Banned

i guess we'll have to take a wait and see approach to see if this is really an epidemic or happens on a small scale. good luck digging into your issue. keep us informed.[/QUOTE]

That's why I've been looking at the other forums with the 3.5.

Incidentally, if you read my thread about the timing chain rattle, I discuss the oil problem. I think I may have temporarily slowed or stopped it.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Kevlo for President

If the oil is comming through the rings, wouldnt there be ALOT of blue smoke?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:25 AM

105k miles on my engine,i drive about 70 miles a day to and from work. I use about a quart of oil every 2 months. No problems, not blue smoke , notta...i also read guys that the 3.5 also consumes oil , spoke to a Nissan tech and he confirmed this too. It doesn't guzzle it, but it does use alittle in everyday operation. So don't panic, it normal for our engines.....
Old 07-28-2005, 09:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Daily Driver2k2
every 2 months. .....
What mileage do you use that 2 quarts in? Every ~1500 miles?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
If the oil is comming through the rings, wouldnt there be ALOT of blue smoke?
We have a heck of a cat on our cars. It'll puff at the shift point at WOT, but that's about it.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:31 AM

Just thought I'd chime in, I just read most of this post and now I dont feel like such an idiot. I had noticed a rattling sound coming from my engine for a couple days and when I checked the oil, there was probably about 1 quart in there. I thought that maybe it all leaked out somewhere, but there was no sign of leaking anywhere. Then I began to think that maybe I was an idiot when I did my last change and didn't put any in! Now i just need to figure out what to do with this thing. I'm glad that I'm not the only one now.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE
Just thought I'd chime in, I just read most of this post and now I dont feel like such an idiot. I had noticed a rattling sound coming from my engine for a couple days and when I checked the oil, there was probably about 1 quart in there. I thought that maybe it all leaked out somewhere, but there was no sign of leaking anywhere. Then I began to think that maybe I was an idiot when I did my last change and didn't put any in! Now i just need to figure out what to do with this thing. I'm glad that I'm not the only one now.
You might have done some permanent damage running with only 1qt..
Old 07-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by njmodi
You might have done some permanent damage running with only 1qt..
If it's rattling, it could be a rod about to break. You're hosed dude.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Banned

If it's rattling, it could be a rod about to break. You're hosed dude.
Timing chain rattle. Common on the 3.5 even with all the oil in it. Read my rattle post for more info.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

If it's rattling, it could be a rod about to break. You're hosed dude
Timing Chain Rattle ..

Common on 95's @ start-up as well...

Never undermine someone who knows tehy're talking about and make an uneducated & misinformed opinion and suggest someone is "hosed" ...
Old 07-28-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
What mileage do you use that 2 quarts in? Every ~1500 miles?

1500-1800- depending on weekend travel to. I don't think it a problem using a quart every 2 months, now if i was using 3-4 quarts in every two months then that would be serious problem. I have been using synthetic 10-30 ever since ownership of my car.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

1500-1800- depending on weekend travel to. I don't think it a problem using a quart every 2 months, now if i was using 3-4 quarts in every two months then that would be serious problem. I have been using synthetic 10-30 ever since ownership of my car.
My problem is that I drive that much or more every week. Seems like I'm spending as much on oil as gas anymore!
Old 07-28-2005, 11:57 AM

Timing chain rattle. Common on the 3.5 even with all the oil in it. Read my rattle post for more info.

Very true...very common with 3.5's. Funny though, i never hear it after a fresh oil change.... ususally happens when i need to change my oil....don't know what that suggest.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

Very true...very common with 3.5's. Funny though, i never hear it after a fresh oil change.... ususally happens when i need to change my oil....don't know what that suggest.
That means your oil level is low and the oil's dirty. Read this thread: http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=419816

I'm too lazy to type it all up again.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:01 PM

My problem is that I drive that much or more every week. Seems like I'm spending as much on oil as gas anymore!
My god ..i thought i was the only one who drove alot.
How much quarts of oil do you go through? Then again if you drive alot your going to consume more then compared to a person just going down the street and back to his house.

When i had my TTZ , i live 10 minutes from my job, and every store known to man was 5 minutes away from my house. I changed my oil twice a year because i didn't have to drive my car anywhere far.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:10 PM

That means your oil level is low and the oil's dirty. Read this thread: http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=419816

I'm too lazy to type it all up again.

Intresting...posiibly more dirty then low, i keep my oil topped off. read your thread and it seems valid, thanks. Oh i learned the hard way when i blew my motor in my civic by running low to no motor oil. Was lazy and irresponsible back then,hardest lesson to learn when your about half way through college and making minum wage and no one around has engine knowledge.

After that episode in my life , i keep my cars topped off and i check them all the time. Don't have time to be waisting my money on engines....
Old 07-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Banned

How much quarts of oil do you go through? Then again if you drive alot your going to consume more then compared to a person just going down the street and back to his house.

When i had my TTZ , i live 10 minutes from my job, and every store known to man was 5 minutes away from my house. I changed my oil twice a year because i didn't have to drive my car anywhere far.
40-50k a year. Time-wise, I go through WAY more of everything including cars. Milage wise, you'd be surprised how much better things work when you use them daily and on the highway. I could probably go 6-7k on an oil change, but I'd never do it.

I was adding a quart every other fill-up, which meant about 1.5 a week (a quart every 700 miles). Now, after my little episode, it's down to .5 a week (one every 2k miles). I'd say it's drastically reduced.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

The rate of oil consumption for short trips is much higher because the rings seal better when the engine is up to operating temperature. But 5 miles a day will still burn much less oil than I do driving 100-125 miles per day.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:07 PM
BP

I was adding a quart every other fill-up, which meant about 1.5 a week (a quart every 700 miles). Now, after my little episode, it's down to .5 a week (one every 2k miles). I'd say it's drastically reduced.
4) regarding the oil consumption: I tried using stop leak. The car ran like crap within a quarter mile. Threw a code within 10 miles. Took it to autozone to get the code pulled: multiple misfire and cam shaft position acutator. That lead to the oil flush mentioned above. Long story short: 2,000 miles and little to no oil loss.
just for clarity's sake, does this mean the oil consumption issue isn't really as much of a (fundamental engine design) problem as originally thought? and i'm not trying to be sarcastic, really trying to talk (type) this situation out. do you think the flush fixed it or maybe a different weight/brand oil was used in the refill which doesn't seep as readily as the previous oil? what do you think fixed your issue?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BP
just for clarity's sake, does this mean the oil consumption issue isn't really as much of a (fundamental engine design) problem as originally thought? and i'm not trying to be sarcastic, really trying to talk (type) this situation out. do you think the flush fixed it or maybe a different weight/brand oil was used in the refill which doesn't seep as readily as the previous oil? what do you think fixed your issue?
Honestly, I think the stop-leak slowed it temporarily. I expect it to be back in a month. I'm just trying to get it to hold off a little until I can do a compression test. I still doubt it's the valves, but there's a part of me that is saying it might be. I'm leaning more towards the rings still. Once I do the compression test I'll be able to tell which it is. If it's the valves, time to port and polish baby! Oh, and if I have to go that far, I'm changing the cams too.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Since we're bringing up additives (and quickly going OT) - any of the 3.5L guys try Auto-Rx to help with the burning?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

never heard of it, but after my experience, I wouldn't recommend any stop-leak type additives!
Old 07-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Do I get a tax break?

never heard of it, but after my experience, I wouldn't recommend any stop-leak type additives!
Actually its not a stop-leak additive. It's supposed to be an engine conditioning/cleaning additive. Its raved about on bobistheoilguy.com and here you go: www.auto-rx.com. It maybe worthwhile to take some time to look into it... I'm not a believer in these snake oils, but this seems to have more legs to it than just marketing magic. I'd be interested to know your opinion once you've had a chance to explore a little.

Quick Reply: 3.5 oil consumption