5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

WANTED: Those whom have had their 60,000 mile maintinence done...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 06:21 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

WANTED: Those whom have had their 60,000 mile maintinence done...

Well, the 'ol search function only turned up a handful of threads, so I thought I would ask: How much did you spend on 60k maintinence? Were there items that you could have done equally as well as the dealer yourself? I think it run most members around $500...how much did it cost you?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Kevlo for President

$200 at dealer. Why, I don't know.

NGK Vpower - 15bucks
Belts - 20?
PCV Vavle - 5dolla
Filters - 20bucks
Labor - FREE
Old 07-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

just do the oil change and spark plugs.. look at the belts... change them if neccesary, other fluids... and you are done.. save money.... like the Geico commercial... "I just save a lot of money by doing the 60K miles maitenance myself". If you take it to the dealer they will overcharge you for stuff that you can do. my .02
Old 07-30-2005, 06:41 AM

Im almost at 60k, but this week I replaced the air filter (phew,what a project ), i bought spark plugs but didnt do anything with them yet, cleaned in-cabin filter, changed engine oil and filter.
Things i think i can do but are still pending: drain and change A/T fluid and filter, and change spark plugs.
PCV i dont know anything about, also ive never changed any belts on this car so i dunno if i can do that easily.Fuel filter i dont think they will change unless requested,but im not doing that.
Post how much it is from the dealer for tune-up if you find out. I assume my warranty wont help me out here
Old 07-30-2005, 06:49 AM

Taken from another site:
"-change oil
-change tranny fluid
-check idle speed
-check ignition timing
-valve adjustment
-replace plugs
-replace distributer cap and rotor
-replace plug wires, if worn
-rotate tires
-top off fluids
-lube chassis(not really sure what that is, but most places list it as one of the things they do for a tune-up :P)"
Old 07-30-2005, 07:05 AM
Kevlo for President

Here, you guys need some 4th gen love
http://web.archive.org/web/200111091...k_service.html
Old 07-30-2005, 08:08 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by instil
Post how much it is from the dealer for tune-up if you find out. I assume my warranty wont help me out here
I'm calling them now...

Thanks for the replies, everyone, I appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just had mine done about 3 weeks ago. Cost was about $350, but that was with me changing my own plugs. Included all fluids being changed, rotate/balance tires, updated ECU for new MAF (self installed prior to visit, thanks DaveB), and new cabin filter. There might have been a few other things done but I don't have the printout in front of me.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:11 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

With coupons...

...$518.50?!

I'll most certainley be doing alot of this MYSELF.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if i were you, i'd just take it to the stealer for a coolant flush and to check my idle/timing...that's it.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:28 AM
BG

Wow, I had not idea maintinence cost so much.

I'm heavily looking into buying a maxima with a 100k Nissan Warranty on it. Does that mean it covers maininence intervals or is it up to me to get that taken care of?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:36 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Bgreenlee
Wow, I had not idea maintinence cost so much.

I'm heavily looking into buying a maxima with a 100k Nissan Warranty on it. Does that mean it covers maininence intervals or is it up to me to get that taken care of?
No, it just covers the malfunction or failure of a list of given things. They do not include items that normally require preventitive maintinence in order to keep opreating, i.e. brakes, fluids, etc. I am a strong believer in maintaining a car as prescribed by the manufacturer, I spend enough in mods in order to warrant keeping the damn thing running as best it can.

Ok so here is how I will be approaching this:

Maintinence by Metal
Fuel Filter
In-Cabin Filter
Spark Plugs
Battery replacement (new audio system going in soon, upgraded to Optima Yellow Top )
Brakes...will be replaced in the spring & upgrading to 6th gen rotors
---------------------------------------
COST: < $100 (Not including the battery & brakes)

Maintinence by Cherry Hill Nissan (good guys there)
Tire rotation and balance
Oil Flush and recharge
Coolant Flush and Reacharge
Tranny Fluid flush and recharge
Diagnostics/ECU check-up
----------------------------
NEW COST : $360
Old 07-30-2005, 08:54 AM

i'm not a pressure tranny flush fan. and i can never pay twenty dollars to have someone rotate my tires....and is the balancing even necessary?
Old 07-30-2005, 09:28 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
i'm not a pressure tranny flush fan. and i can never pay twenty dollars to have someone rotate my tires....and is the balancing even necessary?
After looking over the 4th gen write-up, I am ersiouly considering doing EVERYTHing myself...
Old 07-30-2005, 09:30 AM
scopium

it cost me around 100 bucks in material and 2hour of my time.

-8 qtz of tranny oil
-coolant fluid
- spark plugs
- engine oil and filter
- power steering fluid
- brake fluid

Old 07-30-2005, 10:05 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Did you just add additional PS fluid or was there a way to drain this?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I Miss My Maxima

Did my 60k:

New plugs (had a tech I work with do this, only had to pay for parts and 1.5 labor at half rate -- NGK Laser Plat was $9 a plug which I used)

Coolant drain and fill
Oil and filter change
Tire rotation

Trans fluid drain and fill is requested but i did not since my trans was replaced 8k miles ago.
Air filter is requested but I have a K&N.
Serpentine Belts usually need to be replaced by 60k. (about $40 in parts and as much in labor.)

Cost me about $150 including the plugs, coolant, and labor, the plugs being most of the cost.

Things that dealers (including the one I work for) sell you that are not required:
- Engine, transmission, coolant flush (Nissan does not recommend engine flush, and trans/coolant flush not until 100k or more.)
- Tire balance (not needed unless you have vibration issues)
- Throttle body and fuel injector services (Not recommended by Nissan, but often sold by dealers anyway. Can be beneficial sometimes though.)
- Fuel filter (not applicable to 5.5 gens but you can DIY with the write-up here)
- Front end align (only needed if your tires are wearing unevenly/pulling)
- "ECU diagnostics" not needed unless your CEL is on or has been on and went off
- Idle and timing are not easily adjustable on our cars without a CONSULT II tool. The valve lash may be adjustable but I've never seen one performed on a VQ (lash adjustment.) If the timing (as determined by the diff. between crank and cam angle sensors) is off it will throw a CEL.
- Power steering flushes (Not required by Nissan)
- Brake system bleeding (not required if you're not getting brake-work)

Other notes:
- Plugs are technically good until 100k but most of us see wear when we pull them at 60.
- Coolant is technically good to 100k but it loses effectiveness as it ages.
- Struts aren't mentioned but by 60k both my 2 front struts are leaking and the left front upper strut tower bearing is shot.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Kevlo for President

Coolant - http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/502
Power Steering Fluid - http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/702
Old 07-30-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by paralyse
Did my 60k:

New plugs (had a tech I work with do this, only had to pay for parts and 1.5 labor at half rate -- NGK Laser Plat was $9 a plug which I used)

Coolant drain and fill
Oil and filter change
Tire rotation

Trans fluid drain and fill is requested but i did not since my trans was replaced 8k miles ago.
Air filter is requested but I have a K&N.
Serpentine Belts usually need to be replaced by 60k. (about $40 in parts and as much in labor.)

Cost me about $150 including the plugs, coolant, and labor, the plugs being most of the cost.

Things that dealers (including the one I work for) sell you that are not required:
- Engine, transmission, coolant flush (Nissan does not recommend engine flush, and trans/coolant flush not until 100k or more.)
- Tire balance (not needed unless you have vibration issues)
- Throttle body and fuel injector services (Not recommended by Nissan, but often sold by dealers anyway. Can be beneficial sometimes though.)
- Fuel filter (not applicable to 5.5 gens but you can DIY with the write-up here)
- Front end align (only needed if your tires are wearing unevenly/pulling)
- "ECU diagnostics" not needed unless your CEL is on or has been on and went off
- Idle and timing are not adjustable on our cars. The valve lash may be adjustable but I've never seen one performed on a VQ (lash adjustment.) If the timing (as determined by the diff. between crank and cam angle sensors) is off it will throw a CEL.
- Power steering flushes (Not required by Nissan)
- Brake system bleeding (not required if you're not getting brake-work)

Other notes:
- Plugs are technically good until 100k but most of us see wear when we pull them at 60.
- Coolant is technically good to 100k but it loses effectiveness as it ages.
- Struts aren't mentioned but by 60k both my 2 front struts are leaking and the left front upper strut tower bushing is shot.
fuel filter is applicable to us. idle and timing is adjustable
Old 07-31-2005, 01:22 PM
I Miss My Maxima

My bad. Yes, timing is adjustable via CONSULT. I was thinking of the old-fashioned, turn the distributor-type timing adjustments, and yes, idle is also adjustable via CONSULT. But I was thinking more along the lines of shade-tree repairs, since I'm not a technician. Edited original post.

As to fuel filter, yes, it's replaceable if you have time and patience and the write-up, however, most Nissan dealers will tell you that it's not. If you DO try to get it done at the dealer you're probably going to get screwed on the labor/parts costs, so why bother taking it in?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:42 PM

My bad. Yes, timing is adjustable via CONSULT. I was thinking of the old-fashioned, turn the distributor-type timing adjustments, and yes, idle is also adjustable via CONSULT. But I was thinking more along the lines of shade-tree repairs, since I'm not a technician. Edited original post.

As to fuel filter, yes, it's replaceable if you have time and patience and the write-up, however, most Nissan dealers will tell you that it's not. If you DO try to get it done at the dealer you're probably going to get screwed on the labor/parts costs, so why bother taking it in?
.........well, if you've been following the thread, this is talking about taking it to the dealer...in which case why wouldn't you have them check the timing and idle. and...i personally said i would only take it to the stealer for the coolant flush and timing/idle..not fuel filter. and yes..there's a write up
Old 07-31-2005, 03:58 PM
I Miss My Maxima

The timing and idle don't need to be checked unless there's a problem of some sort with either one, and that would usually trigger a CEL, or you'd be able to tell otherwise (car is idling too high or idling too low, etc.) If they want to check it for free, fine, but if they charge you for it as part of a "package", or separately, that's bs.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:08 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

.........well, if you've been following the thread, this is talking about taking it to the dealer...in which case why wouldn't you have them check the timing and idle. and...i personally said i would only take it to the stealer for the coolant flush and timing/idle..not fuel filter. and yes..there's a write up
There's a write up for the coolant, too...I checked in the Fluids section and there is a how-to for everything there.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Sports Button FTW

copper ngk plugs - 13 bucks
tranny fluid - 40 ish? (redline 90 fluid)
fuel filter - 24
oil/oil filter - 20
air filter still clean
didnt check belts yet
labor - free
knowledge gained from doing things on your own - priceless
Old 07-31-2005, 05:52 PM

The timing and idle don't need to be checked unless there's a problem of some sort with either one, and that would usually trigger a CEL, or you'd be able to tell otherwise (car is idling too high or idling too low, etc.) If they want to check it for free, fine, but if they charge you for it as part of a "package", or separately, that's bs.
i'm not trying to argue but in my experience...the idle needs to be reset because every time its checked it's just slightly off. in addition if you haven't done it before it's not a bad idea...seeing as a lot of us come as 14* BTDC (including me) from the factory
Old 07-31-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Ok so here is how I will be approaching this:

Maintinence by Metal
Fuel Filter
In-Cabin Filter
Spark Plugs
Battery replacement (new audio system going in soon, upgraded to Optima Yellow Top )
Brakes...will be replaced in the spring & upgrading to 6th gen rotors
---------------------------------------
COST: < $100 (Not including the battery & brakes)

Maintinence by Cherry Hill Nissan (good guys there)
Tire rotation and balance
Oil Flush and recharge
Coolant Flush and Reacharge
Tranny Fluid flush and recharge
Diagnostics/ECU check-up
----------------------------
NEW COST : $360
Why not (maybe by now you have decided to do it yourself,i dunno) do the tranny fluid drain and refill yourself. I got a good writeup off of here and printed it out. I feel like i could get it done and i have little experience.
Let me know if you do your sparkplugs if its easy or not. I know some things are in the way of the 3 plugs in the rear (the half towards the firewall,as opposed to the front of the car)that need to be removed for access. My issue is my old car, I didnt have to mess with the coils when changing plugs,so im not so confident about that. Im wating for a little break in the heat as well,so if i run into problems,im not dying outside and cursing. I dont wanna break anything and create an expensive (see:dealer) repair.
Also,since you are near me (within 35-40 minutes) I might be able to help you out with another issue i saw you asking about,which is your new leather seats.I bought some leatherique after reading NUMEROUS good reviews by posters in the detailing forum,as well as recommendations by 2 other detailers (not online..real-life people)
To get to the point, what they sent me is more than enough for one application.Its probably enough for 3-4 uses. After i do my car this week, if you wanna try it out dont order it and pay shipping and have to wait for it. I'll sell you, or give it to you in exchange for help with my plugs or new MAF if you have time.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Maxima Fanatic

I only paid $291 for my 60k which wasnt to bad.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:24 PM

but what did they do
Old 07-31-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by icelandmaxima

Really?? Mine cost $850 for service and labor including the extra work that I requested. TB cleaning, new rear brake light, and new brake pads. Jim Burke service employees are a bunch of stupid crooks. Stupid because I told them NOT to change my oil and filter and they did it anyway

shift_typical
Old 07-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Maxima Fanatic

Everything thats included in the 60k.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Maxima Fanatic

Originally Posted by AcerX
Really?? Mine cost $850 for service and labor including the extra work that I requested. TB cleaning, new rear brake light, and new brake pads. Jim Burke service employees are a bunch of stupid crooks. Stupid because I told them NOT to change my oil and filter and they did it anyway

shift_typical
Wow thats unreal! A co-worker advised me of this place where he goes. He has a 2001 maxima and keeps it in tip top shape. Nissan quoted me like $450 for the job and it usally excedes their inital quote when its time to pay.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by AcerX

shift_typical
You DEFINATELY should have done the brake light yourself,and probably should have done the pads yourself and cut that $850 down to like $500,which is still crazy.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:11 PM

come on Metal Max you can DO it yourself!!! Hell your projects are awesome and you want to take max to the stealership for 60k servise??? BTW since you start thread on maintenance here's my 2 penny : poured 2 bottles of seafoam ovrenight right into cylinders. http://www.jusspress.com/day.php?use...entTime=115036

lol smoke still remains after i came back to the stop signal I left a lap ago http://www.jusspress.com/day.php?use...entTime=115224
Old 08-01-2005, 12:23 AM

did the seafoam do anything noticable? (besides thick smoke)
Old 08-01-2005, 03:40 AM

yep my max finally breathes
Old 08-01-2005, 03:51 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Nomad
come on Metal Max you can DO it yourself!!! Hell your projects are awesome and you want to take max to the stealership for 60k servise???
Haha, thanks man! Yeah, I did some research this weekend in the FLUIDS/LUBRICANTS forum and found a HOW-TO for all of the fluids I need to change. The stealer won't see any of my money!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:46 AM
scopium

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Did you just add additional PS fluid or was there a way to drain this?
i kinda just changed it
www.motorvate.ca
has a how to

Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 AM

The stealership is the last place you should go to for a coolant flush. Just take it to a reputable radiator shop for probably less than 1/2 the cost that the stealer will nail you. The same goes for transmission fluid replacement and flushes.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:22 PM

Guys for tranny flush check stickies Lontar has wonderfull write up for your automagic!!!
All expenses u can expect is only for 12 quarts of synthetic mobil one which cost me a/t80$ well it's just 1/3 of what stealership wants for this procedure. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335521/3 Deff DIY
Old 08-01-2005, 06:42 PM
I choose not to comment.

Originally Posted by icelandmaxima

Where did you have yours done? VOB charged me $500 +. Maybe I need to go where you take yours.