5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed Tokico HP w/stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installed Tokico HP w/stock springs

Had my tokico hp installed with my stock springs. Still need to do an alignment but these are some great shocks/struts. The ride is very very smooth and the car handles great. I don't understand how people pair these with lowering springs because they seem to soft. People saying there about 10% stiffer than stock is about right, but still to soft for lowering springs in my opinion. These shocks absorb bumps and potholes with little effect unlike stock shocks that wallowed around to much....I would def recommend these shocks with stock springs. This is the way the max should have come from the factory....http://www.cardomain.com/ride/691702

Old 09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
No More Maxipad

so with the tokico's and stock se springs the ride is smoother than with the stock shocks? does it feel as smooth as the gle? i'm wanting to change my suspension to something smoother than cuz the se is kinda stiff for me...i feel every bump on the road =/

btw nice car man i like that color
Old 09-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Z

Uhh...who wants to be the first one to tell lowincash?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:38 PM

Wow! So it rides better than the stock SE setup? One more reason for me to replace my OEM shocks.

Is there a reason why you picked the HP series and you did not get the Illumina shocks?

Very important question - i have the 100k miles extended Gold+ warranty that covers everything.
Does anyone know if the warranty will be void in any way if i keep the stock springs and replace the shocks with Tokicos? I really want to put some adjustable shocks on my car. I have the money, but thepossible warranty issues kind of scare me.
What do you think? Any experinece with that?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2005, 04:25 PM

Been riding on Hp for little over a month now and the car rides so much better. People who say Hp are just like stock don't know what they are talking about. Hps rebound faster and you don't feel every little ripple in the road like you do with stock. I remember reading so many post about hp being the same as stock and i can tell you for sure that information is incorrect. If you wanna smooth out the ride on your SE get hps. Better ride quality and better handling
Old 09-19-2005, 04:44 PM
No More Maxipad

thanks for the info man i was originally wanting to change to the gle springs with the hps but if just by changing the hps can make the ride smoother than that's what what i shall do too. thnks for your feedback!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Been riding on Hp for little over a month now and the car rides so much better. People who say Hp are just like stock don't know what they are talking about. Hps rebound faster and you don't feel every little ripple in the road like you do with stock. I remember reading so many post about hp being the same as stock and i can tell you for sure that information is incorrect. If you wanna smooth out the ride on your SE get hps. Better ride quality and better handling
I think this is because you are making your comparison based on stock springs. HPs are almost like stock struts when you have more significant drops as in they do not dampen some lowering springs well. I had HPs/Progress and even though the ride was mostly smooth, it got bouncy over certain bumps because even though HPs have slightly more compression dampening than stock, they have do not have enough rebound dampening for lowering springs, which makes them rebound faster and more bouncy (at least for those with significant drops). So you are right in saying that it rebounds faster, although, that is not a good thing with certain springs.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:12 AM

hmm, that sux. i just installed h&rs on stock struts, and purchase hps last night. you think the ride will be worse with h&rs and hps than stock struts?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I think this is because you are making your comparison based on stock springs. HPs are almost like stock struts when you have more significant drops as in they do not dampen some lowering springs well. I had HPs/Progress and even though the ride was mostly smooth, it got bouncy over certain bumps because even though HPs have slightly more compression dampening than stock, they have do not have enough rebound dampening for lowering springs, which makes them rebound faster and more bouncy (at least for those with significant drops). So you are right in saying that it rebounds faster, although, that is not a good thing with certain springs.
After riding with these struts for awhile now I couldn't recommed Hps for lower springs. I believe they are just a high performance replacement for the stock shock. I think they are to soft to be combined with some lowering springs. If i was to get lowering springs i would put these shocks with either maxspeed or H&R. I would personally just use these shocks to replace the lousey stock shocks and put them with stock springs. It improves the car in everyway
Old 09-20-2005, 11:52 AM

After riding with these struts for awhile now I couldn't recommed Hps for lower springs. I believe they are just a high performance replacement for the stock shock. I think they are to soft to be combined with some lowering springs. If i was to get lowering springs i would put these shocks with either maxspeed or H&R. I would personally just use these shocks to replace the lousey stock shocks and put them with stock springs. It improves the car in everyway
Yup, I agree...
Old 09-20-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
hmm, that sux. i just installed h&rs on stock struts, and purchase hps last night. you think the ride will be worse with h&rs and hps than stock struts?
Depends... it may be slightly less smooth or "cushy" but you'll no longer have that floaty feeling and you'll have a little less body roll. But why not just throw em on there and find out for yourself? After all, you've already bought em.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:49 PM
No More Maxipad

hey just thought i share this...well i got the tokico blues installed and yup it's so much smoother...my stock shocks were super worn out it was so easy to push the pistons in lol car feels very good to drive now i must say

another thing, did your car get higher after installing the new shocks? my front got like about 1-2 finger gaps more =/
Old 09-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
hey just thought i share this...well i got the tokico blues installed and yup it's so much smoother...my stock shocks were super worn out it was so easy to push the pistons in lol car feels very good to drive now i must say

another thing, did your car get higher after installing the new shocks? my front got like about 1-2 finger gaps more =/
Nope it shouldn't change the height of the car. My car is still the same. And i agree very smooth and bumps don't jar the car like it did with stock shocks..
Old 11-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

for GLE too?

lots of good info for me. i have an 03 GLE that is WAY TOO floaty. should i replace the oem struts/shocks with blues or illuminas? oem springs will stay. i'd love to save a few $ and go with blues....looking for combo of ride and performance daily driving. thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:20 PM

My opinion would be to go with blues but change your rear springs to SE springs. The rear springs on the SE is what keeps the SE from having that floaty ride. You should be able to pick up a pair from someone on the org or i saw them brand new for 88.00 which is high for just to springs as you could get all 4 maxspeeds for that..
Old 11-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

so with the tokico's and stock se springs the ride is smoother than with the stock shocks? does it feel as smooth as the gle? i'm wanting to change my suspension to something smoother than cuz the se is kinda stiff for me...i feel every bump on the road =/

My wife's 2000 GLE has had the Tokico Illumina w/stock (SE) springs setup now for over 10k miles, and it feels great.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:00 PM

They all have the same springs, the SE has harsher shocks(rear). If you get the tokico blues, they come with better shocks and struts(front). so that works out that he doesnt have to buy anything from the SE model.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:32 AM

i am contemplating going back to my oem se springs after having h&r's on for a few months. i can feel so many more imperfections its not even funny. i am afraid to even think about what some of the stiffer lowering springs feel like.
i dunno if i am exta picky about my ride, or if the h&r's are sh1tty springs.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2001SE
They all have the same springs, the SE has harsher shocks(rear). If you get the tokico blues, they come with better shocks and struts(front). so that works out that he doesnt have to buy anything from the SE model.
Not true SE have stiffer rear springs then gle or gxe. That's why the have different part numbers. The TSB nissan had for fixing the bottoming out on gle was to replace the rear springs with SE springs........
Old 11-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

Not true SE have stiffer rear springs then gle or gxe. That's why the have different part numbers. The TSB nissan had for fixing the bottoming out on gle was to replace the rear springs with SE springs........

And having read the TSB AND the research on Maxima.Org, that's why I decided to 'upgrade' her GLE to springs from a 2001 SE and the Tokico Illuminas. Much, much nicer ride now, and no bottoming out - which was compounded when I had the 2004 18's on there (I now have 2001 AE's on it).
Old 11-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

great, thanks. Any idea where i could get oem SE rear springs?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:20 PM

I have always said that the rebound was too slow (feels like a boat in quick transitions, especially after installing a RSB), but everyone I talked to just said to switch to stiffer springs. I didn't like that solution, as I thought the ride was plenty stiff, just not well controlled. I didn't know the HPs had faster rebound. I'll have to look into them now. Any idea whether switching out the fronts or rears would make a bigger difference?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:54 AM

thanks for the feedback. i was considering putting these on my 97. 185,000 miles on stock struts and shocks.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:04 AM

wanna trade your SE suspension for my GLE?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:36 PM

Sorry to go slightly off subject, but for some reason I am unable to post new threads. Which would be the better setup on stock se springs......the hp's or the illuminas. I have read that the illuminas tend to stiffen up some in cold weather, but what about the hp's and cold weather? Kinda of leaning towards the hp's because of the price, but wanted some input on which would be better. Also, if there is anyone who can help me with the post issue, I would appreciate that too. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:04 AM

Very good info for me. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by whitemax21
Sorry to go slightly off subject, but for some reason I am unable to post new threads. Which would be the better setup on stock se springs......the hp's or the illuminas. I have read that the illuminas tend to stiffen up some in cold weather, but what about the hp's and cold weather? Kinda of leaning towards the hp's because of the price, but wanted some input on which would be better. Also, if there is anyone who can help me with the post issue, I would appreciate that too. Thanks in advance.
Its in the 30's here in Boston and my HP don't stiffen up at all. If your gonna keep stock springs then just get hp like i did. You will love them and the improved ride/handling quality. It's like night and day difference over stock
Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 PM

Hmmm... Would this be the same with the 01...
Old 10-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it possible to replace the stock springs on a 2002-2003 Maxima with lowering springs and keep the stock struts? Or is it not recommended?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:11 AM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by ebayking90
Is it possible to replace the stock springs on a 2002-2003 Maxima with lowering springs and keep the stock struts? Or is it not recommended?
Yes you can keep the stock struts, but, they don't have the rebound of Illumina struts so over time, you will probably have to replace them. There are tons of people here on the .org with lowering springs w/stock struts.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have blues/stock springs with 18's and my gripe is the wheel shaking violently when I am in the lower rpms. It's been this way for months and although I have learned to deal with it, sometimes it's a real pain in the ***. I Am wondering if maybe my stock springs are shot? I know the shocks are damn near brand new. I am thinking of dropping this **** for xmas, thoughts?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:42 AM

dude i dont care wht ne1 else says about the HP i had HP on my 4th gen max and i just purchased a 02 SE and i agree with bondonmax here that stocks suck compare to tokico........with tokico hps u definitely feel the improvement and DEFINITELY the handling is much much much much much much better and the ride is soo smooothhhhh it doesn't wobble around or u dont feeel road too much..........anyone whos changing stocks i would recommend tokico
Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM

Any comments about the longevity of the HPs'? Lotsa people on my Supra board complain that they are short lived.

BTW - when I installed the HP struts in my 84 Supra, they MOST DEFINITELY raised the front end. This is a documented result to Supra owners. I wound up installing Eibach springs in the front just to return the height to stock.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by greg84mk2
Any comments about the longevity of the HPs'? Lotsa people on my Supra board complain that they are short lived.

BTW - when I installed the HP struts in my 84 Supra, they MOST DEFINITELY raised the front end. This is a documented result to Supra owners. I wound up installing Eibach springs in the front just to return the height to stock.
How well does it work installing aftermarket springs on the front and leaving the rears stock? I'm not particularly interested in lowering - let alone slamming - my car, but I would like to even the stance and get rid of the jacked-up look in the front. I haven't measured the height of the wheelwells, but the front looks like it's at least an inch higher than the rear. Since the rear rides rough enough for me to want to leave the stock springs on there, I'm only interested in lowering the front. But are there issues with that? I have Sensatracs on the front and stock struts on the rear.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:00 PM

My Supra's is setup with Eibachs in front and new OE rear springs, and the car handles very well. I was concerned it might get squirrly too... but its truly fine. I achieved exactly what youre asking about... the looks of the ride height. I hate when cars are squatting in the back... like theyre taking a dump!