5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Raced 1999 or 2000 Mustang GT . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 10:56 PM

I was going for a drive yesterday evening and stopped at a red light when a late model 1999 or 2000 white Mustang GT pulls up along side of me. It was a lady driving so I really wasn't expecting anything but got ready anyway. As the light turned green she punched it (to my surprise) and I did so likewise (I wasn't even brake/torquing the car. I just mashed the accelerator). She jumped out about 1/2 to 3/4 a car length ahead of me but as soon as I hit 4K and entered my boost power I started catching her and was dead even with her at 60 mph. Then I was really surprised to find myself starting to pull away from this late model Mustang GT. When we both shut it down around 80 mph due to an upcoming traffic I had about a 1/2 a car length on the mustang. At the next light this lady pulls up next to me again and just looks at me shaking her head. I reved her and she shakes her head no so I just blew it off. As she pulls away she flips me the bird. Now guys I must say I was pleasantly surprised because I wasn't sure I could take a late model Mustang GT from the line, but hey I guess that torque converter has really helped more than I thought. I really want to get my max to the track now to see what my 1/4 mile time is, and also to see if my time validates the result of this race with the Mustang GT. By the way what kind of 1/4 mile times do the 99 & 00' Mustang GT's run?
Old 05-24-2001, 11:53 PM
nullman

DMan, way to go surprising that Mustang driver with the power of your Maxima. That is the one car I HAVE to beat. There are a lot of Mustangs around where I live. Many of them just put an exhaust on and think they’re such a badazz. My car should be supercharged within 2 months. I’ve ordered a bunch of little knick-knack things this month (spark plugs, air/fuel meter, etc.) and I’m waiting for my credit card to roll over to the next month before ordering the sc kit. My AutoMeter boost gauge is sitting on my coffee table right in front of me! Their Ultra-Lite gauges have a silver face that matches well with the stock gauges.

Anyway, checking in some car mags I have, 1/4 mile times for the current Mustang is in the 14.0 - 14.2 sec. range. My4DSC has a supercharged 5-speed and he just ran a 13.82 w/stock differential and exhaust. I plan on getting the Quaife differential, aluminum flywheel, and full 3” exhaust, so 13 sec. times should be possible, if my skills are up to it.

BTW, you live in Dallas, don’t you? I was born there!

Old 05-25-2001, 04:55 AM

I'd hope you beat her with THAT mod list! Also, why would you brake/torquing your SC'ed car? Don't you already get more then enough wheel spin?

A 98 and up z28 is the car to go after
Old 05-25-2001, 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good one, the lady must of driven her "sports car" Mustang back to the dealership to trade it for something faster now. Complaining it is no faster than a run of the mill Nissan, little does she know what is really going on under your hood.

Mark
Old 05-25-2001, 07:57 AM

Yeah I live in Dallas

Originally posted by nullman

BTW, you live in Dallas, don’t you? I was born there!
Yeah I live in Mansfield which is just south of Arlington. If you are ever in the area send me an email and maybe we could hookup. As for the wheel spin question in the post following yours it really isn't a major problem even when torque/braking the car. I do get some don't get me wrong but the Nitto Extremes REALLY grip well (WAY BETTER than the crappy stock Potenzas that came with the car) I could really light up the Potenzas now if they were still on the car. Hoping to be running in the mid to high 13's in the 1/4 mile.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:48 AM

Re: Yeah I live in Dallas

Originally posted by DMan_2KMax

Yeah I live in Mansfield which is just south of Arlington. If you are ever in the area send me an email and maybe we could hookup. As for the wheel spin question in the post following yours it really isn't a major problem even when torque/braking the car. I do get some don't get me wrong but the Nitto Extremes REALLY grip well (WAY BETTER than the crappy stock Potenzas that came with the car) I could really light up the Potenzas now if they were still on the car. Hoping to be running in the mid to high 13's in the 1/4 mile.
wut is a VB upgrade??
Old 05-25-2001, 11:57 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

If it's the auto 99+ GT then you're looking at mid 14s and the 5 speeds are capable of lower 14s (even 13s under the right conditions). I ran a red 99 GT auto about 2 months ago. We ran twice from a stop and once from a roll. The only time the GT was able to pull away from me was when we hit 90mph in the last race. She (yes she) was able to ever so slowly walk me. I gave up 1 second after I saw her pulling. Last month I saw her at the trak running consistent 14.6s@96mph.

Dave
Old 05-25-2001, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hm...that sound kind of weird. I would think a supercharged Maxima should be able to take out a Mustang GT easily. I know that the newer Mustang GTs are really fast, but if you have a supercharger, you should be able to take it out. Maybe she has a few mods that you don't know about?