5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

spanked by old-school Z...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 10:30 AM
MaximusFelinis

Hey folks. This is my first time posting at his site and have to say, you have a great site going here.

Anyway, I don't consider myself a racer though I do enjoy stop light dragging once in a while. A couple weeks ago, I edged out a late BMW M3 and smiled all the way homee. I also victimized a Type R, BMW 740il and plenty of mustangs. Yesterday however, was a different story: I've always been a huge fan of the Z's especially the old Datsuns. I was a bit surprised when a beautiful 280Z came pulled alongside me on the boulevard. It was gorgeous: had some nice AR Torque Twister-looking 15" rims. Huge brakes and nice paint-job. So while we were sitting at the light, I hollered to him "nice car, wanna race?" and the gentleman humbly nodded. I revved the baby up and as soon as the green light flashed i was off and definitely had the best launch i ever head, there was no wheelspin and the car just hauled ***. We left the line evenly although i think i had a bit of an edge over him. So guess how surprised I was when I looked over and saw the old Datsun AT LEAST 3 car lengths in front of me by 3rd gear. I figured that the farther we'd go, i'd eventually catch up to him, but not a chance. By the time i was hitting 70 mph his car was doing close to triple digits or even faster and was about 60 feet in front of me. This one on a riverside boulevard and by the time I hit a hundred, his car was barely visible...=( I'd guess his car would easily run a low 11 second 1/4 mile.

A little later, I saw that car parked at an ice cream shop and pulled in. The owner complimented me on my car and said he loved the VQ30DE. I did likewise citing his beautiful restoration and asked to take a peek at what was underneath the hood. He had a first gen Q45 engine!!! I'm pretty familiar with the Q45's V8 but this engine looked entirely different. He said he used to involved with the research and testing of Indy V8's and his engine implemented some "stacks" design that incorporated 8 individual throttle bodies ala the new M3 engine and M5 engine. The engine looked gorgeous. I asked if he had done any dyno testing and what the power figures were and he smiled and said "i'm guessing around 360 horses and 350lb/ft." Numbers I wouldn't doubt. I'd never been beaten that bad. Hope it doesn't happen again...=)

Old 05-26-2001, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by MaximusFelinis
Hey folks. This is my first time posting at his site and have to say, you have a great site going here.

Anyway, I don't consider myself a racer though I do enjoy stop light dragging once in a while. A couple weeks ago, I edged out a late BMW M3 and smiled all the way homee. I also victimized a Type R, BMW 740il and plenty of mustangs. Yesterday however, was a different story: I've always been a huge fan of the Z's especially the old Datsuns. I was a bit surprised when a beautiful 280Z came pulled alongside me on the boulevard. It was gorgeous: had some nice AR Torque Twister-looking 15" rims. Huge brakes and nice paint-job. So while we were sitting at the light, I hollered to him "nice car, wanna race?" and the gentleman humbly nodded. I revved the baby up and as soon as the green light flashed i was off and definitely had the best launch i ever head, there was no wheelspin and the car just hauled ***. We left the line evenly although i think i had a bit of an edge over him. So guess how surprised I was when I looked over and saw the old Datsun AT LEAST 3 car lengths in front of me by 3rd gear. I figured that the farther we'd go, i'd eventually catch up to him, but not a chance. By the time i was hitting 70 mph his car was doing close to triple digits or even faster and was about 60 feet in front of me. This one on a riverside boulevard and by the time I hit a hundred, his car was barely visible...=( I'd guess his car would easily run a low 11 second 1/4 mile.

A little later, I saw that car parked at an ice cream shop and pulled in. The owner complimented me on my car and said he loved the VQ30DE. I did likewise citing his beautiful restoration and asked to take a peek at what was underneath the hood. He had a first gen Q45 engine!!! I'm pretty familiar with the Q45's V8 but this engine looked entirely different. He said he used to involved with the research and testing of Indy V8's and his engine implemented some "stacks" design that incorporated 8 individual throttle bodies ala the new M3 engine and M5 engine. The engine looked gorgeous. I asked if he had done any dyno testing and what the power figures were and he smiled and said "i'm guessing around 360 horses and 350lb/ft." Numbers I wouldn't doubt. I'd never been beaten that bad. Hope it doesn't happen again...=)
may i ask wut u have on ur car?
Old 05-26-2001, 10:49 AM
Got Bent?

....damn.....a Z with a q45 engine..... woah...
Old 05-26-2001, 11:12 AM

Gotta be careful with those old Zs...

Whenever you bump into one of those babies, you gotta listen to the engine sound. If it doesn't sound like a Z motor... driver beware!!! I know this for a fact cause my brother had a 240Z. Outside looked completely stock, except for the color ( orange ) and 17 inch rims. Under to hood sites a 350 V8 w/ SC! Dyno hac it putting out 500hp at the wheels. Needless to say it did not sound like a Z motor. I remember one time I took the car out cruising and bumped into about 3-4 guys crusing around in TT Supras. I think it was some kinda Supra club. Well, you shoulda seen the look on these guys faces when they all got smoked... big time.
After they all gave me a try, we pulled over and chatted. They were all very shocked to lose to a older car. Ah, the good old days...
Old 05-26-2001, 11:19 AM
MaximusFelinis

I'm sorry I forgot to mention what my mods. I don't really have anything would seriously boost engine performance. All I have is K&N drop-in filter, Cattman tower bar and Y-pipe, Magnaflow exhaust and Hawker Genesis batter (18 lbs.) I didn't really install anything that would compromise the everyday driveability of the car since I use it to commute. I'm really interested in getting the Stillen supercharger kit.

About that Z though, is the 280Z really light? The early gen Q45 engine I know has lots of torque, over 300 lb./ft torque but mod'd this thing should be a monster. I was puzzled why he would put a V8 especially an Infiniti V8 in the Z but he told me that it is basically the same engine in the Infinti IRL car. Also mentioned that it has a relatively short block and has very good high-end output. Had a custom designed 8 throttle body setup that was gorgeous, all-aluminum and shiny. Engine bay was pretty bare. He went into lengths about his experimenting with the car and also mentioned that he'd used Ford V8's before but was really unsatisfied with their efficiency and high rpm output as the Infiniti has variable valve timing and was easily mated to the 300ZXTT transmission. Really interesting tech talk. All in all, I've seen some very exotic fast cars like Vipers and Lambos, but seeing this restored car was like a dream come true for me. The car is probably one of the fastest cars i've ever seen too, i'm guesstimating 0-60 in mid 4 to low 4 seconds, 1/4 mile in sub 12 seconds?

Old 05-26-2001, 12:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Another car to watch out for is the 510. They are putting Nissan V-6s in them (some turbo) these days.

Old 05-26-2001, 12:33 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-26-2001, 02:59 PM

Great story...sorry about the loss...but great story!
Old 05-26-2001, 06:07 PM

Q engine is ferocious

This is also my first posting at this site. I really like your story. Funny thing is, I own a Q45 AND a previously owned a Z ('91 TT) and it seems like the owner of the Z you raced really is a genius. Not only are the original Q45 and Z two of amongst the greatest vehicles of the previous decade but surprisingly many of their components are interchangeable along with the 240SX. Yes, a 300ZXTT 5-speed manual or auto tranny can be mated to a Q45 engine since it shares same flywheel. Both cars come with the viscous LSD which I'd bet he had also from either one of those cars.

Now on to the Q's VH45DE engine. Do not underestimate this powerplant. It is the largest displacement engine from Japan and it has some serious TORQUE. Power is listed at 278 horses and torque at 292 lb/ft but i believe the torque figure is conservative at best. I'm certain it produces upwards of 300 maybe 310 lb.ft. It has to, at over 4000 lbs. the Q can easily spin it's rear tires to a frenzy. With the usual Jim Wolf mods: ECU, K&N and exhaust torque increases to around 330 lb.ft. Yes it is the powerplant behind the eddie Cheever Infiniti IRL but also the Q45 that set the world speed record for 4-door automobile at Bonneville at 200 mph average speed. I haven't heard about the stacks thing though, but the sounds very intriguing. Do you know if he changed the fuel injectors or rail in any way? Anyone who's driven the very first Q will tell you, this things absolutely screams on straightaways. I believe at the higher end of it's powerband, a Q45 can easily take a maxima let alone have the engine dropped in a car that weighs half as much. Sounds like a lethal combo...