5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

INTERIOR OVERHAUL PROJECT IV - Bone & Black, Suede Interior Worklog!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
Nice work Dan, make me a set of those leds and ill buy it!
I'd definitely go for a set as well.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Droppin logs

Wow you are the f*#%in MAN!

I am now an official MetalMaxima groupie...
Old 11-26-2005, 11:19 PM

I'd Buy a set of those LED's Stock looks soo yellow and ugly compaired to those.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:36 AM
tastey wheat

guys why dont you make them yourself? they're very easy, and im sure metal is busy enough as it is
Old 11-27-2005, 09:17 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by mendon99
guys why dont you make them yourself? they're very easy, and im sure metal is busy enough as it is

Yes, I am VERY busy, but always willing to make some cash on the side...

I will write-up a HOW TO right after I am done changing my spark plugs and powersteering fluid...but right now I need to run to pep boys for a magnetic socket.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:08 PM

ordered 30 20,000mcd white LED's. live 2 min from radioshack. All i need is a writeup. can't wait man.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:54 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by merovi
ordered 30 20,000mcd white LED's. live 2 min from radioshack. All i need is a writeup. can't wait man.
F'UCK!!!!! Ok, so while I was changing out my spark plugs, I f'ucking stripped the threads into which the mounting bolt goes for the ignition coil. F'cuking wonderful. Now I need get a tap kit to fix it. THIS SUCKS. I'll write this crap up from work tommorow morning.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear that man. No hurry on the write up if other things are more pressing at the moment.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:28 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by ICULookN
No you don't, you just have to lower it as low as possible. It would be easier if you could take it off.
Removing the steering wheel is not hard. The manual says you need a special tool...I just wiggled it back and forth and it came right out. I took it out like 4 times this past week alone to get to my signal switches that were acting up.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Nice

Very nice work, i am truly amazed!!! how much do you charge to make that center console, and where did u buy the moniter and dvd from. I have the auto clim. control thou, i dont know if that makes a diff. for you pricing wise. Again very nice work, you have to go to the Johnson Park meet next year I need to see this...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:55 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Metal

Side question - are you good at diagnosing creaks and squeaks in the interior? I have mad creaks and squeeks.... Its driving me nuts!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by SiCkMaX@aol.com
how much do you charge to make that center console
Center console would be $450, painted to the color of your choice. I can do this with an auto.

Originally Posted by rbrown81
Side question - are you good at diagnosing creaks and squeaks in the interior? I have mad creaks and squeeks.... Its driving me nuts!
You never told me what was squeaking.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

ALRIGHT, so, here's a glimpse of what leather seat installation entails. It's nothing too arduous, although it's certainly not an undertaking for the meek.

First you need to unbolt the bottom of the seat and remove the OEM hog rings...

...then you might need to make a relief cut in the aftermarket clips like I did...

...then you need to reattach the aftermarket cover to the OEM hog ring locations...

...other modifications include having to cut out controls such as the powerseat motors.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Then simply reattach...

...there's all sorts of fun stuff to find like this cotter pin...

...installing the top is a real bish...lots of back and forth...

...other fun stuff includes cutting holes for the headrest pins!

...I though I had kmore pics than this. Guess I just wanted to get it done.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:41 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Ok, so, the next project I am undertaking involves putting a master switchboard for all of my LEDs and CCFLS. I will be putting this into the sunglasses holder, so let's get started! First off, we need to make our template. Just some simple tools needed...

...here's how we see it all spaced out.

Then I used a 5/8" bit to bore out the holes. I then enlarged the opening using my Dremel, and viola! We have our buttons in place! The paint did not take too kindly to all of the bending when boring out the holes, so I'll obviously have to go back and repaint it. The switches are not perfect, but about as close as these hands can get them.

HOLD FOR PIC...RESIZING

Old 12-05-2005, 05:27 PM

you deff made the right decision in spacing the buttons man. Looks good
Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by merovi
you deff made the right decision in spacing the buttons man. Looks good
Thanks, man. I'll try and have the resized pic up by tommorow!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 PM

i just copied and pasted and looked at it..i'm not lazy!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:16 PM

Hey where did you get those buttons ive been lookin all over for white ones do you know where i can get any??? ALL IVE found are red ones
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by NOCturnalI30
Hey where did you get those buttons ive been lookin all over for white ones do you know where i can get any??? ALL IVE found are red ones
Try thinkgeek.com
Old 12-05-2005, 07:46 PM

Found it thanks incase anyone is looking for them as well here is the link

http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cables/6ca5/
Old 12-05-2005, 09:42 PM
tastey wheat

thats a lot of switches, metal. how are you gonna remember which one controlls which? you're gonna have that many LEDs in your car?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Ok, so, the next project I am undertaking involves putting a master switchboard for all of my LEDs and CCFLS. I will be putting this into the sunglasses holder, so let's get started! First off, we need to make our template. Just some simple tools needed...

...here's how we see it all spaced out.

Then I used a 5/8" bit to bore out the holes. I then enlarged the opening using my Dremel, and viola! We have our buttons in place! The paint did not take too kindly to all of the bending when boring out the holes, so I'll obviously have to go back and repaint it. The switches are not perfect, but about as close as these hands can get them.

HOLD FOR PIC...RESIZING

hey metal....good job..question though...can you get a a pic of how you wired it..and possibly a description?...i was wondering if you need to put a fuse on it when running it to a live positive wire...you just ened to conenct one side of a positive wire...then some extra wire to what you need powered and so forth..correct?...lemme know..thx...gj by the way
Old 12-06-2005, 05:48 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Are you worried about the paint getting like that in/on other parts of the car?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:19 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by nismos14
Are you worried about the paint getting like that in/on other parts of the car?
Negative. I twisted the S'HIT out of this thing when I was boring the original holes. The only other time that any of my panels would be exposed to this kind of abuse would be if I were involved in an...
Old 12-06-2005, 04:41 PM

Regarding the seats, do hogrings pull down the middle crease? I'm seriously considering installing heated seats since it's gotten down into the teens.

Wonder if I can cut the heating element to provide a hole to pull the creases down through.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM

you an an amazing man i want to do something drastic like you someday with my automobile
Old 12-07-2005, 05:52 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
hey metal....good job..question though...can you get a a pic of how you wired it..and possibly a description?...i was wondering if you need to put a fuse on it when running it to a live positive wire...you just ened to conenct one side of a positive wire...then some extra wire to what you need powered and so forth..correct?...lemme know..thx...gj by the way
Thanks! I have not wired these yet. I am going to run a 4-pin Bosch relay off of the glovebox illumination bulb; this relay will supply power from my AFG fuse board to the LEDs, which will be wired in 4-button series. I should have it done by this weekend.

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
Regarding the seats, do hogrings pull down the middle crease? I'm seriously considering installing heated seats since it's gotten down into the teens.

Wonder if I can cut the heating element to provide a hole to pull the creases down through.
Leather seat kits differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. The ones I have feature a velcro strip down the middle to the OEM foam...it's super strong. You would more than likley need to cut a hole in the middle of the heating elements in order to make this work.

THE PROJECT IS EXPECTED TO BE DONE BY DECEMBER 30TH.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Alright, time to put the DVD player in a better place. First we see the inital cut into the glovebox...

...and here we see how it starts to shape up.

ENTER MY WORLD.

Ugh. There's a fawking metal plate in the glovebox?! WTF?! Surprisingly, the steel is actually pretty tough here too, so this is something I will have to take to work tommorow and saw through using a metal disc grinder. This is a PRIME example of the kind of crap I have been fighting every step of the way...but, as always, I'll find a way around it!!!!

Evenso, I can at least get a dry fit of my brother's Alpine HU faceplate (thanks, Jes(for being asleep when I was trying this)) to see how it's going to look, barring some minor height adjustments.

Lastly, I spent the remainder of the evening starting to cut the wires for the button assembly previously posted. Unlike some people, I solder my wire to the crimp connectors and tape for full insulation. I'm ****.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:31 AM

Better to over do it than have to go back and do it again.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Yes u are officially the maxima custumization god LOL it is looking awesome though i have to say you are gonna have one of the sickest interiors in the maxima community LOL
Old 12-15-2005, 07:24 AM

Lastly, here are the connectors I will be using to splice into the OEM wires...as you can see, this will allow me to switch between either my 5th gen or 4th gen cluster with ease.

...then I had to strip all 30-some wires, crimp the connector, then solder the wire. THIS SUCKED.

...alright, that's it for now...more pics and updates as things carry on!
I assume you'll insulate those bare wires somehow?

Never mind. You're the most detailed/****/crazy/brave person here. I should know better.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Suspension Yoda

Brave enough to drill holes through his door jambs!

Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by pikers
I assume you'll insulate those bare wires somehow?

Never mind. You're the most detailed/****/crazy/brave person here. I should know better.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:36 AM

Wow, that was a lot of reading!

Great job with the mods, I can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:55 PM
MaximaFreak

How come no pics of your hands after completing the leather install?

Mine were torn to SHREDS.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:00 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
That's been taken care of.

Alright, I will try and provide update pics as things come along, but things are pretty slow it being the holiday season and all. Just a quick update is that I now have 8" woofers in the doors, drilled holes in the door panels for my tweets, and have domes in the kicks. All of the audio wire has been upgraded to stinger expert, and I am running a 3-way active steup off of 2 Arc Audio XXK amps.

BUT...I am having some PITA noise issues with the digital crossover/equalizer that must first be resloved.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:38 PM

...then I had to strip all 30-some wires, crimp the connector, then solder the wire. THIS SUCKED.

I'm new to Maximas, so I don't know if it would be possible, but I've done some extensive rewiring in my Camaro. Again, I have no idea what he stock connector looks like, but would it have been possible to repin the connector(s)? I have done this when switching the ECM on my Camaro, and when I went to a newer dash/cluster. Makes for a cleaner install, and no soldering required.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:39 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Alright, so now it's time to make the wires for the switchboard. There are a total of 18 wire leads that need to be run from the power source in the glovebox to the sunglasses holder. Here's how it all breaks down

SWITCH I - Center vent LEDs and door handle LEDs
SWITCH II - Underdash CCFLs
SWITCH III - Driverside map pocket CCFL
SWITCH IV - Passenger map pocket CCFL
SWITCH V - Driverside Underseat CCFL
SWITCH VI - Passengerside underseat CCFL
SWITCH VII - LCD Screen
SWITCH VIII - DVD Player

...the final two leads are for powering the in-button LED lines which will be run in series off of a BOSCH relay.

Now, in order to make the wires neat, I made the 18 leads using 18AWG KnuKonceptz wire, crimped spade connectors on each end, soldered the connector to the wire, electrical taped the end, and put a label on each wire. Then the wires were twisted together and taped in electrical tape. I used standeard black elec. tape for the first half, then ran out. SO, the only thing I had left was ceramic-fiber re-enforced elec tape, which was used for the remaining length. Here's how it looks...

I then ran this length from the sunglasses holder down the A-Pillar.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:42 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Then it landed in where the glovebox will be.

I also made the cuts for the dvd player. I had to remove the back section because it was a real PITA to cut out the metal plate otherwise.

Here's how it all looks...I will paint it tommorow, clear coat on Tuesday, and likley install everything sometime between Wed/Thurs! The black stuff is a Rigid Parts Two-Part repair expoy I used to fill in the gaps.

Quick Reply: INTERIOR OVERHAUL PROJECT IV - Bone & Black, Suede Interior Worklog!!!