5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

URGENT: What the F is this!??!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 08:05 AM

URGENT: What the F is this!??!

I just purchased a wheel/tire package (Axis/Hankook) from the Wheel Studio out in CA. I had endless conversations with them discussing the required offset to ensure that all wheels would be flush with the wheel well giving the car an aggressive stance.

Wheel Studio ensured me that a 45 offset all the way around was the way to go and the purchase was made.

Wheels/tires were shipped and installed....and how odd; the rear wheels are set further in then the fronts.

I discussed this with the Wheel Studio who then informed me that '01 Maximas have a shorter axle in the rear than in the front; thus the difference.

Okay, I have several questions now that I desperately need answers for;

1. First off, is this axle statement true??
2. Wheel Studio indicated that they could ship out some 35 offsets for the rear to get them lined up with the front 45 offsets. Obviously, rotating the tires becomes an issue, but otherwise; would this work...would 45 fronts and 35 rears line up?
3. Should I go with spacers on the rear? If so, I have heard that spacers cause more wear and tear. What size spacers for 45 offset would I purchase?
4. I'm actually not pleased with the 45 offset on the front either. Even the fronts sit into the wheel well further than I would like for a nice appearance. Would would you guys recommend?

I am very frustrated now as I thought I had this all figured out and feel like the Wheel Studio's incompetance has just f'ed me. Any recommendations would be appreciated....I need to get this figured out ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Bg

'01 AE Maxima
Old 09-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When I ordered my Axis Hiros, I specified that I wanted a 35 offset, which acording to the boxes when i got them, is what i got. i even spoke to one of the higher up guys there, i cant remember his name, and he made sure I had a maxima and confirmed that that offset would be fine for me. im pleased with how the wheels sit, the rear is inside the well a little too much, but spacers can fix that. anyway, you could just use spacers, a lot of people here use them, im not sure if they cause extra wear, since people who used larger spacers got longer wheel studs to use with them.

i had a good experience with Wheel Studio, even though it took a while to get my wheels in (Axis fault more or less, not theirs). maybe you can talk to them about just exchanging them for an entire 35 offset set.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Rob01ski

Dude the rear fenders are larger or flare out more then the fronts thats why the illusion that they are different, dont see how you could just change the front tires to rear. Since you got unidirectional tires probably thats the only way you could rotate them any ways. If you want the rears to line up you gotta get spacers dude.

Oh yeah show us some pics of how it looks fool

Old 09-11-2005, 11:23 AM

I had OEM TE 17" rims (45 offset) with 235/45/17 tires on my Max and used 15mm H&R spacers up front and 20mm H&R spacers on the rear. The wheels were flush with the fenders up front and just barely tucked at the rear. I now have OEM G35C 18" rims (30 offset) with 235/40/18 tires and they sit flush with the fenders without spacers.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:28 PM

I don't understand how a 30 offset all around would fix the problem. With 30 offsets, I would suspect that the fronts are outside the wheel well slightly and the rears are slightly inside or flush?...

Regarding your preference package, would a 15 mm on front and a 25 mm spacer in back (versus a 20 mm) work better...or?...

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:25 PM

The A$$ on the 5th gen is wider than the front. I don't think the rear axel is shorter than the front.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 PM

If you got the same offset wheels, they will sit pretty much the same way as stock. The rear wheels will be "tucked" in unless you get a smaller offset in back or get spacers.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Keep the 45mm offsets and get a set of 15mm spacers for the back....
Old 09-11-2005, 01:27 PM

the rears do sit in further than the fronts no matter what. Its the axel or the fenders... When I got wheel spacers for my lowly 17's, I bought 1 inch in front and 1.3 inch in the rear. even with that, my fronts are about 1mm or 2mm further out.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:06 PM

Matt...you have the same setup as mine.

235/40/18 with Eibach Pro kit and Tokico Illumina's.

So you think 15 mm spacers on the rears will push out enough to match up nicely with the fronts?

What's your recommendation on spacers?...namebrand?, etc. Also, will I have to replace the studs also?...I'm assuming so. What do you think I will pay for all parts?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Originally Posted by golzbra
Matt...you have the same setup as mine.

235/40/18 with Eibach Pro kit and Tokico Illumina's.

So you think 15 mm spacers on the rears will push out enough to match up nicely with the fronts?

What's your recommendation on spacers?...namebrand?, etc. Also, will I have to replace the studs also?...I'm assuming so. What do you think I will pay for all parts?

Thanks.
For the most part, 30mm offset for the rear is the lowest you can go without rubbing (although some have used 20mm spacers with the factory 45mm rims without complaints of rubbing). Since you have a 45mm offset, you can go up to a 15mm spacer and be relatively safe. H&R and Eibach make spacers (probably others as well) . 15mm costs somewhere in the $110-ish range dependant on where you get them.

I think you may need new studs if you go with spacers >10mm.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Audtatious
Keep the 45mm offsets and get a set of 15mm spacers for the back....
for what he said!!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:17 PM

The difference between the front and rear appears to be roughly 3/4 of an inch.

With that in mind (assuming I'm accurate), wouldn't a 20 mm be closer, versus a 15 mm spacer?

25.4 mm equals 1 inch.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Bandwagon Lover

The difference between the front and rear appears to be roughly 3/4 of an inch.

With that in mind (assuming I'm accurate), wouldn't a 20 mm be closer, versus a 15 mm spacer?

25.4 mm equals 1 inch.
Depends on the rims/tires. With factory 17's, probably. I know others who had 18"+ rims had rubbing issues with wider tires when going lower than 30mm offset.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:32 AM

I don't understand why the rims or tires would factor in. An offset is an offset, not? A 235/18 is a 235/18??

There must be some type of standard that someone has developed to accomodate Maximas. I can't believe we, as Maxima owners, have been guessing on this offset/spacer topic for the past decade, because Nissan doesn't want to match up their front and rear axles (which is an entirely different and irritating topic!)??

I would like to see a simple equation such that if you get 35 offset rims with 235...you need 5 mm spacers on the rear. Or if you get 45 offset rims with 225...you need 35 mm spacers on the rear. Or whatever....I don't know what the correct equations are; but it has to be easier than this!??!

Thoughts anyone!!

Bg
Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 AM

I believe a total offset of 25 at the rear and 30 up front would bring your wheels flush with the fenders if you use 235 tires.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:14 AM

I can't believe we, as Maxima owners, have been guessing on this offset/spacer topic for the past decade, because Nissan doesn't want to match up their front and rear axles (which is an entirely different and irritating topic!)??

You sure Nissan doesn't know what they're doing? The new GXP Pontiac has smaller rear tires for a reason. Maybe Nissan found that having the track in the front wider than the rear improves handling or stability and it's just us going for looks that want to push the rears out farther.

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Linky
to improve handling, the front tires will be larger than the rears. That's right, the fronts will be 255/45R-18s on eight-inch-wide forged aluminum wheels, and the rears will be smaller 225/50R-18s riding on seven-inch-wide wheels.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 AM

Just throw some spacers in the rear, that way you can still rotate. The fenders in the rear are large. Also there's no actual axles in the rear.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by NISMAX03
I believe a total offset of 25 at the rear and 30 up front would bring your wheels flush with the fenders if you use 235 tires.
i'm with ^^^ knowing they are the same offsets as stock 17's:

a) people with 20mm spacers for the rear think they sit flush to the fender
b) people usually buy 10-15mm spacers for the front to match with the rear. (i hear that 10mm matches up perfectly with 20mm spacers in the rear)

get 20mm for the rear and 10-15mm for the fronts. you will have to get longer studs.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:03 PM

Just talked with another shop who indicated that most spacers are not hub-centric and can do more harm than good.

I'm still not sold on the spacers route. Leaning toward keeping the 45 offsets on front and replacing rears with 35 offsets. Thinking this would avoid spacers and would get the front and rear wheels lined up.

Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:33 PM
ABS

The rear track is more narrow than the front. This is a fact for all 5th gens.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Seoul Man

Even on stock wheels, the rears look "tucked in" to the rear wheel wells while the fronts look flush with the sides of the car. I just switched to 350Z wheels, and now my fronts come out just a little (looks very aggressive) and the rears are out flush, which looks a lot better than the old "tucked in" look.