5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sirius Satellite Users - Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Sirius Satellite Users - Please Advise

Has anyone installed “Sirius Satellite Radio” in their Max? I’m specifically looking at Sirius because it only broadcasts a specific show I want to get, just so the thread does not get off on a tangent comparing providers.

I’m looking for input and opinions on which specific module is preferred by users (there are several), where they mounted the unit (I saw one nicely mounted in the pop-down sunglass holder), where they placed the antenna, etc.

Thanks in advance…
Old 09-12-2005, 01:52 PM

free bump cause i wanna know too. this is the one i was thinking of getting, i was going to mount it somewhere maybe in front of the ashtray only a few more months till stern is on

Old 09-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Got Projectors?

I have a DDX7015 head unit and just control the satellite tuner through the HU.

I think you're asking about PNP units, right?

I got an Audiovox Sportster (I think that's what it was called) for my dad on father's day and installed it in his I35. I mounted the unit with a custom made bracket where it was suspended to the right of the stock bose HU. His is FM modulated, which suits him just fine, but personally I think sounds like crap.

I put his antenna on his rear deck. Since I have metallic window tint, I put my antenna on the front dash, next to the VIN plate.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:59 PM

theres two basic options

ther sirius sportster2 and the starmate, they bothe transmite thru fm channels so no wires, they mount to the windshield glass if u want, the antenna can easily be run up the a pillar and out thru the weather stripping, but i think thats ugly, id run it onto the trunk lid, but thats just me.

the sportster2 has 44mins of tivo-ish pause and rewind and has a feature where it will alert u of bands or sports events that are coming up soon. it goes for 160-30rebate

the starmate is 80-30rebate
its cheaper but its smaller and not as easy to use or as nice looking.

when u replace the hu and add a tuner u lose the ability to move it with u, that seems kinda wasteful but it does look classier.

those prices are best buy prices. i sell them thats how i know
Old 09-12-2005, 05:06 PM

Like Meta I have a headunit, a Kenwood Excelon, that has Sirius built in. I just added the sat receiver and antenna and voila! I'm sure the other options are OK, like using the FM modulator, but I have heard the sound quality isnt the best. If you like your stereo to sound great, got for the headunit.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by djsoniq
Like Meta I have a headunit, a Kenwood Excelon, that has Sirius built in. I just added the sat receiver and antenna and voila! I'm sure the other options are OK, like using the FM modulator, but I have heard the sound quality isnt the best. If you like your stereo to sound great, got for the headunit.

Similarly, I have the Kenwood KDC-MP528/SR902/C719. Ultimately, I may swap the MP528 for one of the DDX units and add Navi.

When we were looking into getting a new Honda Ody (XM only), we were looking at the Sportster. (But as it turned out, we bought an 05 Murano with OEM Sirius.)
Old 09-13-2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
theres two basic options

ther sirius sportster2 and the starmate, they bothe transmite thru fm channels so no wires, they mount to the windshield glass if u want, the antenna can easily be run up the a pillar and out thru the weather stripping, but i think thats ugly, id run it onto the trunk lid, but thats just me.

the sportster2 has 44mins of tivo-ish pause and rewind and has a feature where it will alert u of bands or sports events that are coming up soon. it goes for 160-30rebate

the starmate is 80-30rebate
its cheaper but its smaller and not as easy to use or as nice looking.

when u replace the hu and add a tuner u lose the ability to move it with u, that seems kinda wasteful but it does look classier.

those prices are best buy prices. i sell them thats how i know
Even though the PNP units transmit through FM you need to do some form of hardwire FM mod. In the Sportster case you could use the Audiovox unit. It costs around $15-20. It's basic function is to turn your outside antenna off when your PNP is on, thus stopping all static. It makes a huge difference in the sound quality. I personally have a Kenwood Excelon HU in my Max and my Audiovox PNP is running through my AUX port in my Titan. I installed the FM mod in my brothers Highlander.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:46 AM

Wow... that's a lot to digest, but that's part of getting educated before you buy My Bose unit works great so I did not want to go to the additional expense of a new HU. The talk about sound quality makes me want to hear one first. I also do want the PNP unit as I'll end up with a home, boom-box, and another car cradle that I will integrate into my motorcycle comm system.

Anyone in the Souther NH area that has a modulated unit?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:18 AM

Go to www.siriusbackstage.com. It's the Maxima.org of Sirius information. Personally, I would wait until the 4th quarter to purchase my PNP equiptment as the new models will be in for xmas and they look awesome with great features. Hardwire FM is an absolute must!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 PM

I reccomend just getting a new HU with sirius built in. I have been very happy with mine since I got it last year (Kenwood). I suggest going this route because I have two friends who got the RF modulated receivers and they did not last very long.

As for the antena mounting, Just run the cable back and leave in on top of the trunk lid by the rear window. Just make sure you get the new one that is magnetic and not the stick-on type.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:24 PM

cool! nice link. im going to wait a little longer!

Originally Posted by Virus
Go to www.siriusbackstage.com. It's the Maxima.org of Sirius information. Personally, I would wait until the 4th quarter to purchase my PNP equiptment as the new models will be in for xmas and they look awesome with great features. Hardwire FM is an absolute must!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.siriusradio.com/servlet/C...=1107202268644

This is what I have in my max. I mounted the display unit in the shallow secondary armrest tray(the one i never use.) the antenna is on the trunk.
I really like the setup, only problem is you have to set all your presets so you dont have to keep looking down at what station you are on.

James
Old 09-13-2005, 06:59 PM

i have the starmate, like the one in the secont post, attached to my dash with a panavise arm. it looks great, in my opinion, and very easy to use, also has tons of memory and alert features and only 50 buks after the rebate...good luck ever getting it thou, u can see how it looks here...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/570891
Old 09-13-2005, 08:46 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Wow, I actually just got the September announcement in the mail today along with a new guide.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 AM

where can you get that panavise arm? does it come with the car install kit?

Originally Posted by super6
i have the starmate, like the one in the secont post, attached to my dash with a panavise arm. it looks great, in my opinion, and very easy to use, also has tons of memory and alert features and only 50 buks after the rebate...good luck ever getting it thou, u can see how it looks here...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/570891
Old 09-14-2005, 08:34 AM

the arm comes with the unit. i should be recieving the new models at my work soon ill keep ya updated, just remember when the new ones come int he old ones prices will drop like a rock till theyre gone, hold out till the very end and $20-50 wont be too unreassonable for a brannd new old one.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by maxgangsta02
where can you get that panavise arm? does it come with the car install kit?
the arm does not come with the unit, but i have seen them sold at best buy, but not car specific ones. i belive they are sold throgh panavice.com and they are car specifit, dman expensive tho about $25.

also anybody have a pic of the unit installed in the eyeglasses viser? i had that idea to make it kool real nice but my thing would have taken way too long and im pretty lazy.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:50 AM

any links to the new units on-line? i would like to see what they look like

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
the arm comes with the unit. i should be recieving the new models at my work soon ill keep ya updated, just remember when the new ones come int he old ones prices will drop like a rock till theyre gone, hold out till the very end and $20-50 wont be too unreassonable for a brannd new old one.