5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Do you go to the dealer service to replace brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 03:19 PM

Do you go to the dealer service to replace brakes?

Hi,

during my last visit to the dealer service, they quoted a pretty expensive price to replace my brakes.

I just wanted to know if you went to the dealer to replace yours, and how much did it cost. Or did you do it yourself?

I was thinking if it was a good idea to buy the pads from nissan, and have someone else put them in for me. Is that possible?

Let me know,
Thanks!
Old 09-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by hubbabubba
Hi,

during my last visit to the dealer service, they quoted a pretty expensive price to replace my brakes.

I just wanted to know if you went to the dealer to replace yours, and how much did it cost. Or did you do it yourself?

I was thinking if it was a good idea to buy the pads from nissan, and have someone else put them in for me. Is that possible?

Let me know,
Thanks!
Replacing four wheel disc brakes is VERY easy - there are write-ups in the org, and it's about an hour job (not including having the rotors turned).
Old 09-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

it will take you less than 30 minutes to do do the 4 sides...even if you have no clue on what to do. PM me if you need help
Old 09-14-2005, 03:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

Lotar1 ... Easy as pie ... same procedure on both my 95 and 03 .. So Haynes/Chilton from a 4th gen will also help out.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Hi,

Really?!! How do you get the car off the ground to change the brakes? A simple jack would do?

I really don't have much experience so any manual or writeup or link would be really appreciated.

Alos, do you get genuine nissan brakes or aftermarket ones? How much should I expect to spend?

Thanks so much!!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

From the look of your post, if I were you, I'd get a hand from a local org'er on the change for the first time. Most of us on here have been doing stuff like this for years, so it's old hag for us, but since you have never tried it before, it would be best to get some help even though there is a write up.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:11 PM
dot dot dot ...

You owe me some asprin for the headache you just caused me.

And you've bene here almost 3 years ..

The jack that came with the car will do, I personally like a pretty good floor jack ($40) from most palces, and do a search because brake discussions on here are like y-pipe threads in the 4th gen forum, a dime a dozen.

I haven't used OEM brakes, meaning from Nissan, since I've had eitthher of my cars, so it's not mandatory to use Nissan products. Any good set from a local store will do if you don't plan on doing any auto-xing .. .And AutoZone blank rotors do fine as well.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:11 PM

hey guys.
i'm having the same delema... I have 4 brembo rotors and hawk pads that I purchased a month ago... i was planing to do it myself but I have never done it myself and am a little afraid to do so. I asked my dealer how much labor would cost and they said somewhere around $300... so that's out of the question... i was looking to ask around other shops but if it is as easy as you say I might as well give it a try with a good write up.
Anyone have a good write up and a list of exact tools that are needed? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

You don't need a write-up and very limiter tools, well a simple socket set will do, I forget what sizes, but besides the wheel lug nuts, you'll only need 2 other size sockets, a brake tool(8$ at local auto store) for the rear, and maybe for the front (c-clamp)

It's self explanatory after you take the wheel off.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

Once you get the wheel off, the two bolts holding the caliper on can be a b!tch to loosen. After that, you'll pull off the caliper, take out the old pads (look at how they are put in before you pull them out to get an idea of what it should look like once done), compress the piston with a C clamp, install new pads, put back on car, start on next wheel. The rears are simular until you compress the piston. That's where you need the tool mentioned above. You'll use the tool, a 1/4" driver w/ extension, and turn the piston while giving it pressure (I don't remember what direction off the top of my head, but it'll go in one way and just spin in the other). After that, it's just putting it back together. Still, since it's your first time, bribe a fellow orger with a 6 pack and get a hand.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by hubbabubba
Hi,

Really?!! How do you get the car off the ground to change the brakes? A simple jack would do?

I really don't have much experience so any manual or writeup or link would be really appreciated.

Alos, do you get genuine nissan brakes or aftermarket ones? How much should I expect to spend?

Thanks so much!!
Here you go.... follow this link.... and you are all set
Front
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300

Rear
the same procedure but instead of using a C-clamp you will need a retractor form Autozone... rent it it is free..... and that's it......!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:02 PM

well, its actually not all that self explanatory... in canadia, you have to have 5 years experience before you can even touch brakes.

hope you get it back together right... brakes arent something to take lightly.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:04 PM

and yes, i do my brakes at the dealer
Old 09-15-2005, 06:41 AM

thats rediculous. 5 years?? All it takes is a few tools, some common sense and a 15 minute explaination.

I blame Canada.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you have common sense it's self explanatory.

Sometimes you don't even have to remove the calipers ...
The pads will come right out, the only reason you need to remove them is because the new pads (thicker) will not fit in the old footprint of the worn pads.

But I've had some instances where all I wanted to do was compare different pads, so I'd try one set out for a week and then change them, so since there wasn;t that much wear involved, i did not need to beack the caliper, and was able to just slide the new pads in, w/o removing the caliper assembly.

Special attention must be paid to the rear, in that the button/nub on the back of the new pads must line up with the indent on the caliper.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:18 AM

I will never pay someone again just to change out pads and the rotors for the rear, the process is too easy. There are couple of writeups on the Org, just print them out and take them outside with you to do the job. You can do all 4 wheels in 30 minutes.
Does anyone have a writeup(with pictures) on how to install 2k4/5 rotors on the 5th gen. I know Irish and others have done the install before, but I don't believe anyone actually did a writeup.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 AM

Before i learned to change the brakes on my max i went to the dealer and had front and rear done for a cost of 425.00. Don't get roasted like i did. Second time i changed them myself. 35.00 for front ceramic pads and 22.00 for the rears for a total of 57.00. 10.00 to cut front rotors for a grand total of $67.00. Easy decison 425.00 verus 67.00 .Never again will i let the stealership replace my pads.........I also did it off the write up on movcarte....
Old 09-15-2005, 03:19 PM

i guess you have to understand how a braking system can fail, and proper diagnosis, and what would happen if xxx were to fail and could cause a crash or whatever.

my g/f helps with my brake jobs. its easy, just PAY ATTENTION to what youre doing, and make sure you apply the brakes a couple times before backing the car out, and bed them in properly
Old 09-15-2005, 09:06 PM

Hi,

can you help me out with what brand, make or model brakes that you use? How much should I be spending and where would be best to get them.

Thanks for everyone's help. I think it's about time I learned how to do these things myself.

Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:02 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

gat Hawk front pads and OEM rear unless you want to have Hawk all around. If you have the extra money get the Powerslot rotors too.... but that is up to you.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:06 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
i guess you have to understand how a braking system can fail, and proper diagnosis, and what would happen if xxx were to fail and could cause a crash or whatever.

my g/f helps with my brake jobs. its easy, just PAY ATTENTION to what youre doing, and make sure you apply the brakes a couple times before backing the car out, and bed them in properly
Yes you areright but....I have a story for you. I took my car to Universal Nissan and you might know where that place is.. i n central florida. anyway, they were replacing the front rotors under warranty and the guy who did the job, put the brake pads the wrong way.. he forced them in and I saw something wrong and it felt funny, so I stopped and THERE YOU GO he is/was a tech and he screwed up ....so it can happen to anyone at a ny time. I had to tell the guy which I went and talk to him personally, I didn't want him to get fired or nothing...........
Old 09-16-2005, 07:51 AM

Does anyone have a writeup(pictures) on how to install the 2k4/5 calipers on the 5.5 gen?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
it will take you less than 30 minutes to do do the 4 sides...even if you have no clue on what to do. PM me if you need help
I'd like to know how you can replace 4 rotors and 8 pads in 30 minutes. I've done it before and I knew what I was doing, and it's not 30 minute job. If you're fast and don't have any problem it's maybe 30 minutes per wheel.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:08 PM
vsamoylov

at the nissan dealer that i work at, they are actually dont rip people off. i seem some quotes for services and they are not as high as some of you guys have gotten.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
and yes, i do my brakes at the dealer
I hope you don't mean THEY do them.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:30 PM

^^ youre not rolling your eyes at me, are you

im not familiar with universal nissan, but sometimes mistakes do get made. techs arent perfect, including myself... but when its the difference between someone crashing with their two year old in the back, i double check everything. the only time i ever had a brake job come back was on a focus, the pad retainer lock wire was rubbing against the wheel. and im blaming that one on poor design
Old 09-16-2005, 05:17 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Fr33way
I hope you don't mean THEY do them.
well you got the idea of what i meant anyway.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stereodude
I'd like to know how you can replace 4 rotors and 8 pads in 30 minutes. I've done it before and I knew what I was doing, and it's not 30 minute job. If you're fast and don't have any problem it's maybe 30 minutes per wheel.
I was talking about pad replacement, not rotors.