5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone have the Stillen LED taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone have the Stillen LED taillights?

I think they are ugly and expensive but am wondering what they would look like smoked like I have my taillights.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:02 PM

ya if you smoke them they should look ok. and you wil only see the leds flashing
Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 PM

LEDs are cool....when they work....unlike 1/2 of mine on my car. Stupid things are always going out.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:33 AM

Led Tails

just curious, why do all of you say the LED tails are ugly? they look STOCK, you can't see anything.. you do know that the pic on their website is the inner part.. the housing goes over the assembly, so it looks like a stock tail light.. but they're too expensive.. i'll get them when they're $150/pair! lol
Old 09-19-2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ikalinin
just curious, why do all of you say the LED tails are ugly? they look STOCK, you can't see anything.. you do know that the pic on their website is the inner part.. the housing goes over the assembly, so it looks like a stock tail light

are you sure about that? I've never seen another picture of them besides the website to support your claim. In the picture below you can see the bulb in the reverse light a lot of bright chrome, smore red and some LEDs. Where does this "housing" you speak of go?

Old 09-19-2005, 10:51 AM

i wanna see what these look like with the covers on them. do the covers look like OEM 5.5, or 5th gen SE or GLE? or are there aftermarket versions of the cover too? We cant buy these just from the look of the INNER part.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by xtantmaxima
are you sure about that? I've never seen another picture of them besides the website to support your claim. In the picture below you can see the bulb in the reverse light a lot of bright chrome, smore red and some LEDs. Where does this "housing" you speak of go?

uhhhh yua i havent heard or read anywhere saying that there is a cover, as far as the what they show on their website....thats what you get
Old 09-19-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by xXx TeCaO xXx
uhhhh yua i havent heard or read anywhere saying that there is a cover, as far as the what they show on their website....thats what you get
and that's why no one has one to show us. what were they thinking when they made these?
Old 09-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Z

Looking at these closely...I think these are just the housings. Someone should call CE and ask them.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:06 AM

am i the only one here who can read??

look here: http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_pr...cat=158&dsbp=1

the description reads: "00-03 NISSAN MAXIMA CRYSTAL CLEAR L.E.D. TAIL LIGHT"

to me, it sure sounds like it doesn't have a cover...what you see in the picture is what you get...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:08 AM
Z

That sucks. I don't bother visiting Stillen or CE's websites. They can both blow me. =)
Old 09-20-2005, 09:39 AM

just paint it black
Old 09-20-2005, 09:55 AM

with that smoked...really smoked, if you could do a custom color, and basically make it look like an SE tail light with an all red circle, that could be hot, and you would have it light up like the G35 tails, but that is a lot of custom work with Testors red paint and lots of coats of nightshades. a lot of money to spend on something that could end up lookin horrible. i wonder how many of these have actually been sold. 95% of the ORG things they are horrible.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Z

If you're talking about the LEDs: that woud be a pain and wouldn't look right.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
If you're talking about the LEDs: that woud be a pain and wouldn't look right.
yeah, i think he's just saying that if someone were to buy these (fat chance) they could possibly make them look ok by painting the lense of the housing with several coats of red paint for the circle and maybe something like nightshades on the outside to make it look like the SE tails...that way, when the LEDs light up, it would put out that G35 'effect' ... but yes, that would be a crapload of work, and not only that, i doubt that there is ever going to be a person willing to spend all that money with the chance of them still looking like the ugly POS's that they are....
Old 09-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

paint them black.. they look to Honda for a Maxima taste....
Old 09-20-2005, 10:10 AM

yes maxi, thats exactly what im saying. its entirely too much work and time and money to make these look good, but if someone was gonna do it, that is the only way i can see it even looking remotely good.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:28 AM

hmm..

try to look at the picture, and picture this in 3D. look at the top right, how it bulges out... it looks like it sticks out.. you know what i mean?? YES, what you see in the pic, is what you get... but it doesn't mean its a complete assembly.. I.E. you can get the headlights in the case, or just the housing.. i will try to find more info on this for you guys.

I just called the guys, they didn't sound like they know much about the product... "uhmm, i'm not sure" "uhmmm, this is how it comes right out of the box"

so i'm not sure - i could be wrong...
Old 09-20-2005, 10:35 AM

try to look at the picture, and picture this in 3D. look at the top right, how it bulges out... it looks like it sticks out.. you know what i mean?? YES, what you see in the pic, is what you get... but it doesn't mean its a complete assembly.. I.E. you can get the headlights in the case, or just the housing.. i will try to find more info on this for you guys.

I just called the guys, they didn't sound like they know much about the product... "uhmm, i'm not sure" "uhmmm, this is how it comes right out of the box"

i was gonna say use the SE's covering and lenses and just refit it usin a dremel but whtever
Old 09-20-2005, 10:37 AM

the reason it bulges out like that is the angle the picture is taken at...and thats even more proof that those are, in fact, the complete housings, because only the lense (OT: is it lense or lens?? i can't figure it out! lol) bulges like that; not the housing....
Old 09-20-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by g4nismo
i was gonna say use the SE's covering and lenses and just refit it usin a dremel but whtever
again, that would be a lot of work, and instead of just sacrificing the POS LED housings to make them look good, you would be sacrificing good tail lights as well...and since the bottom half of the circle on those lights is clear, you would still be able to see the ugly crap underneath...

also, come to think of it, is the black (or bronze or w/e) part of the SE tails on the lense or actually in the housing??? i think the lense is just clear...
Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 PM

i wanted LED tail lights, so i just went to superbrightled.com and bought the bulb replacements. now the break light comes on right with the 3rd break light and turns off just as quickly.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:43 PM

man this thread quickly went from to about even more
Old 09-20-2005, 02:06 PM

if they doesn't have cover and if u can use your stock one and if u paint chrome red it'w be nice
Old 09-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

alright i have read enough. someone owed me a favor and i had them get me the taillights. they just got in today and let me tell you, what u see is what u get. now the very observant noticed a bulge, and that bulge is the clear cover. it comes out about 1.5" and covers the brake and turn signal. it then becomes flush till you get to the revers light, which also comes out 1.5". so you couldn't use your stock cover if you tried. the stock light sits flush and follows the flow of the rear corners where these stick out. oh yeah did i mention that they do not round off to the body. you look at the light area in the picture and that is the only area that sticks out. i will install when i get some time and take different angle pics and post them. untill then
Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cmoore135
alright i have read enough. someone owed me a favor and i had them get me the taillights. they just got in today and let me tell you, what u see is what u get. now the very observant noticed a bulge, and that bulge is the clear cover. it comes out about 1.5" and covers the brake and turn signal. it then becomes flush till you get to the revers light, which also comes out 1.5". so you couldn't use your stock cover if you tried. the stock light sits flush and follows the flow of the rear corners where these stick out. oh yeah did i mention that they do not round off to the body. you look at the light area in the picture and that is the only area that sticks out. i will install when i get some time and take different angle pics and post them. untill then
wow, that sucks....i think i would have had my friend buy me something more useful/better looking than those things....i guess it's good that someone is finally able to chime in and give real answers to unknown questions....now all the .orgers know that buying these is DEFINITELY out of the question...
Old 09-21-2005, 11:21 AM

those taillights are ugly as sin. Not worth paying the money for them
Old 09-21-2005, 11:31 AM

i think that its funny how what ever company produced these tail lights didnt look for any input from the maxima community THE ONES WHO WOULD BUY IT if these tail lights looked any bit tastefull, that company would have sold hundreds.