5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loose front drivers seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 05:39 PM

I posted this over on Shings forum when this one was down a few weeks ago but the thread turned into something about sparkplugs... So please bear with me if this seems like a rehash....

Symptoms: Drivers seat seems to be put together really shoddily compared to the passenger seat.....if I take a corner a little hard and you get that "My butt is fighting gravity feeling" instead of being firm and supporting me, the seat will sometimes "shift" with my butt and I'll hear a click as the seat moves a little. To check the difference between the drivers and passenger seats I grab the bottom part of the seat by the leg supports and shake it side to side...the passenger seeat is solid but the drivers seat flexes and rattles. I mean it doesn't feel like it is ready to fall apart but in no way shape or form is it as rigid as the other seat....bolts on the floor appear to be solidly in place and the looseness appears to be in the construction of the seat....not the brackets that hold it but who knows...

I have a cloth interior with no power seats so I guess this would only apply to base SE's and GXE's. My former co-worker actually noticed this on his Max also but I never did the "shake" test on his car and now he is gone so...

Any ideas? Honest guys I'm not making this stuff up...every week seems like something else

[Edited by jnm2kse on 10-11-2000 at 07:41 PM]
Old 10-11-2000, 07:49 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I got that too.

and so does Shing on his 4th gen. Alot of us do. look under the seat, you will see 2 screws (like a garage door). What I do is simply tap the controls alittle and it puts a bind on the screws and takes out the slop. just barely bump the foward/back and the seat back too. it will clear it up for months until they get unbound or you move them again...
Old 10-11-2000, 08:31 PM

Tim

don't you have power leather seats in your GLE? I would think they are better constructed then my el cheapo cloth seats

I'll look in the morning at what you mentioned.....just to clarify, my seat goes side to side, not front to back..

Don't be suprised if I ask you some more questions on this lol
Old 10-12-2000, 08:20 AM

I have SE with Leather Power Seats and

they seems very firm and fine to me. I like to corner hard and they give good support . I don't notice any moving in the seat itself.
I was getting the little movement in my 1995 SE, but this seats in 2000 SE looks good to me.

Anyways, Only if the rest of car looked good this would be great.
Freaking Nissan and there build quality. ;(

So, this might be different car to car, as you guys saying that some seats move when you turn and stuff.

Heh

Enjoy the Ride.
Old 10-12-2000, 11:07 AM

I have the same problem

I noticed my power leather seat does that sometimes too....

sometimes during braking the seat will *slide* forward, just a tiny bit, but it's enough for you to notice it's not firmly installed and you can hear this little *click* sound. Brought it to the dealer, they didn't do jack about it.....

Not a big problem, but annoying at times.