5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

to paint or not to paint, that is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 07:07 AM

I took my car in yesterday to get the new TCM installed and rear bumper clips replaced as per the TSBs. The car shifts much more smoothly with the new TCM so I'm glad I got that done. After some discussion with the Service Manager about the rear bumper clips and the paint damage to both the bumper and the trunk lid he offered to completely repaint the rear bumper and fix the trunk lid as well.....all under warranty. They would have to take the bumper off anyway so it makes sense I guess. While I'm glad that he was willing to go the extra mile and repaint everything I am a little scared about how the finished product is going to look. Just wanted to get your opinions on whether I should do the repaint or just have him buff the scratches out of the bumper and touch-up the trunk lid.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:54 AM

I would let him do the entire bumber repaint. After all, the paint that they will use can't be any worse quality than what is already on the car. Just my opinion though!
Old 05-29-2001, 10:17 AM

It depends.............

Originally posted by fatboyp
I took my car in yesterday to get the new TCM installed and rear bumper clips replaced as per the TSBs. The car shifts much more smoothly with the new TCM so I'm glad I got that done. After some discussion with the Service Manager about the rear bumper clips and the paint damage to both the bumper and the trunk lid he offered to completely repaint the rear bumper and fix the trunk lid as well.....all under warranty. They would have to take the bumper off anyway so it makes sense I guess. While I'm glad that he was willing to go the extra mile and repaint everything I am a little scared about how the finished product is going to look. Just wanted to get your opinions on whether I should do the repaint or just have him buff the scratches out of the bumper and touch-up the trunk lid.
Not a great answer, but it's the truth. My dealership contracts out with a body shop. They also agreed to re-paint my bumper and it looks amazing. If you don't think the Nissan dealership will do a good job or if they contract out with a questionable company, then maybe you don't want to have it done. I am glad I did it although it needs to be done again - apparantly there is a 2nd set of clips - the first set only fixes the scratches on the side.