5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5-Speed LEAKING CRAP IM SCREWED....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:20 PM

5-Speed LEAKING CRAP IM SCREWED....

So i've had this car for less than 1000 miles and my biggest nightmare with getting a 5-speed max is coming to pass... i think. I got it up in the air for the first time this weekend only to see tranny fluid all over the tranny on the drivers side. So at the very least i need a new cv axle seal but it probably means diff bearings. This of course requires pulling the transmission, for the bearings that is. So im going to tomarrow to get a new cv seal and hopefully put it in sometime in the next few days in the RARE RARE chance that its just the seal. Oh yeah, its not only leaking.. its leaking terribly. As soon as i realized it was leaking i checked the level and put fluid in it....it took a FULL quart. damn. I have read of at least three other 5-speeds with this problem but i was just hoping i wouldn't have to deal with it. My questions though is once i get it fixed how long till it happens again. I know its caused by the wrong preload on the diff. bearings but I am not about to pull a transmission apart myself. So, my only hope is that whoever i have do it does it correctly. I really really don't have the money for a transmisson rebuild right now. My neightbor does own 5 or so AMMCO transmission shops so i might see if he would let me "barrow" on of his techs. We'll see. On a good note though, i did fine a TSB to get a free new AE shifter because mine is falling apart. shifter=free .... transmission= Do you have to drain the trans. when pulling the axles on a 5-speed. i didn't on my 97 auto. hope not. this sucks
Old 09-26-2005, 08:22 PM

has anyone had this done at a dealer? how much? is nissan addressing this issue at all? can you say recall....
Old 09-26-2005, 08:40 PM
retired moderator

can't say I ever recall having seen this problem come up on the forums before...

the 5sp on the 00-01 is almost identical to that of the 4th gen. I haven't taken one apart, but what worked on your 97 should work on your 01.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 PM

well i have now heard about it from motorvate ,another guys car domaine page (its a great site here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763858/1 my car is pretty much identical to his.), and some other guys. It just seemed like not that uncommon of a problem.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had a simliar problem with my clutch fluid leaking. there is a 68 dollar hose that goes from the slave cylinder to god knows where. change that and your problems with the fluid should go away
Old 10-17-2005, 06:04 PM
6spd Swapped

Here in NY after you buy a used car from a dealer you have a 60 day 3000 mile lemon law warranty. So if you bought it at a dealer you should check into your local lemow law. Within 1500 miles of buying my car all four O2 sensors threw codes and my CV axle also went bad and it was all covered under the lemon law. So if your state also has these laws you'll save yourself a lot of money. Good luck
Old 10-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Sports Button FTW

good luck with this...i've had my tranny issues in the past with my 4th gen. My 5th gen has been very good to me, knock on wood.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 AM
enthuzed.........

my axle seal is leaking right now. i dont think you should be too worried.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

why would there be a recall just because a part failed, esp one that doesnt cause a safety, emissions, compliance or customer satisfaction issue.

thats like 'omg my brake pads wore out after 40,000 miles, issue a recall!'

his car is a 2001, it wont be lemon lawed. its a failure due to normal wear of the vehicle, fix it, be happy, wait for the next thing to break.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by samsonite
So i've had this car for less than 1000 miles and my biggest nightmare with getting a 5-speed max is coming to pass... i think. I got it up in the air for the first time this weekend only to see tranny fluid all over the tranny on the drivers side. So at the very least i need a new cv axle seal but it probably means diff bearings. This of course requires pulling the transmission, for the bearings that is. So im going to tomarrow to get a new cv seal and hopefully put it in sometime in the next few days in the RARE RARE chance that its just the seal. Oh yeah, its not only leaking.. its leaking terribly. As soon as i realized it was leaking i checked the level and put fluid in it....it took a FULL quart. damn. I have read of at least three other 5-speeds with this problem but i was just hoping i wouldn't have to deal with it. My questions though is once i get it fixed how long till it happens again. I know its caused by the wrong preload on the diff. bearings but I am not about to pull a transmission apart myself. So, my only hope is that whoever i have do it does it correctly. I really really don't have the money for a transmisson rebuild right now. My neightbor does own 5 or so AMMCO transmission shops so i might see if he would let me "barrow" on of his techs. We'll see. On a good note though, i did fine a TSB to get a free new AE shifter because mine is falling apart. shifter=free .... transmission= Do you have to drain the trans. when pulling the axles on a 5-speed. i didn't on my 97 auto. hope not. this sucks
Whats the TSP on the AE shifter?