5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

have you put heated seats in a non-heated seat max?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

have you put heated seats in a non-heated seat max?

i currently have a 2000 max with leather seats and they are not heated. how hard would it be to put the actual heated part of the seats in and not switching out my seats? like i want to keep my seats but make them heated i guess you would say.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:20 PM

I've done this and these are basically the steps
1.) First you have to find the heating elements for the butt area and the back area of the seats for both sides. These are cloth like pieces that have metal elements in them that go on top of the foam and underneath the leather. You will also need the switches that go into the center console.
2.) Take each seat out making sure you uplug everything down under the seat if u have electric motors or ect.
3.) Get some hog wire pliers if you can makes it much easier if not, then with the seats out get two pairs of needle nose pliers. The back part where the document/map holder of the seat pops out; be careful as these are fragile and can tear. Then take all the framework that attaches to the car off if you can. Now get to work with those neddlenose pliers and undo all the places where the leather comes together. Now witht the leather off, be sure not to cut yourself the seating frame can be sharp underneath the leather. The elements go onto the seats ontop of the foam. One part going ontothe back and the other on the butt part. The wiring will go inbetween the butt and the back part of the seat. Now that the elements are on put the leather back in the same way you took it off.
4.) Now with the seats ready to go back in take the center console out and there should be two wires that have connnector on the end of them taped down around the e-brake area. These are for your switches. One will be green and the other black.
5.) put the switches in where they belong and connect them to the wiring that was under the center console the switches are also color coded so its no prob there.
6.) Next when putting the seats in there should be an extra plug under where the seat supposed to be. This is where the elements plug up into. Put the seat in and plug everything up.
7.) Wait for cold day, Turn on car, switch on heaters (lights will come on) and enjoy a warm to roasty butt.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:29 PM

I'm also going to be doing this...as a matter of fact, i'm going through a purchase right now for the heating elements and switches I figured it would be just as straight forward as mentioned above....I'm going to buy some leather seats from the leatherseats.com GD and just kill two birds with one stone....cant wait!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:45 PM

ru getting aftermarket heating elements, or did you find oem somewhere? junkyard?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
ru getting aftermarket heating elements, or did you find oem somewhere? junkyard?
a guy in the 5th gen classifieds is selling them from an 01 max....i'm just waiting for him to respond to my offer..
Old 10-03-2005, 11:55 AM

is it possible that the 5.5 gen (2002) is pre wired for these heated seats aswell, i wanted to do this a while ago but the stealership wanted $1,200 for all the parts, and they said the car probably isnt wired up for this if it wasnt an option.

i say, how cost efficiant would it be if the car was pre wired and if the buyer wants the option, then just install it.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:03 PM

daaaaam. i imagine its labor intencive, but not $1100 worth of labor. the parts may cost a few hundred, the rest is labor and markup. they are raping ppl on that.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:30 PM

nope, these prices were pure parts, no labor, but that is nissan parts, for all i know they could have bee selling me the seats with heated leather, idk, but if my car is pre-wired, i would buy aftermarket seat warmers and install em to the stock wireing, does abnyone know if the 02 is pre wired?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:32 PM
jjs

Originally Posted by bugbite77
nope, these prices were pure parts, no labor, but that is nissan parts, for all i know they could have bee selling me the seats with heated leather, idk, but if my car is pre-wired, i would buy aftermarket seat warmers and install em to the stock wireing, does abnyone know if the 02 is pre wired?
Might be a straightforward idea, but have you looked under the seats for wiring harness(es) that aren't attached to anything??
Old 10-03-2005, 01:49 PM

re:heated seats

I put power/ heated seats in an 02 there are no plugs under seats or under center cosole to use on mine. i had to wire the power for passenger side the driver side was power already so plug was there for that I still havent hooked up the heat part yet I was trying to find some info or wiring diagram for some plug pin info. if anyone is familiar with the plugs for these could you give me some info. Basically what pins are for what on the seat heat side.
Ryan
Old 10-03-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ryanmc
I put power/ heated seats in an 02 there are no plugs under seats or under center cosole to use on mine. i had to wire the power for passenger side the driver side was power already so plug was there for that I still havent hooked up the heat part yet I was trying to find some info or wiring diagram for some plug pin info. if anyone is familiar with the plugs for these could you give me some info. Basically what pins are for what on the seat heat side.
Ryan
hmmm that's interesting...i have plugs under both the driver and passenger seats and i don't have a power passenger seat
Old 10-03-2005, 03:29 PM

There are two plugs under my passenger seat circled in red...i believe they both go to the power seat, but i'm sure you could splice a heating wire in for power....

EDIT: anyways, it's been done before, and here's how see post 2....

4.) Now with the seats ready to go back in take the center console out and there should be two wires that have connnector on the end of them taped down around the e-brake area. These are for your switches. One will be green and the other black.
5.) put the switches in where they belong and connect them to the wiring that was under the center console the switches are also color coded so its no prob there.
6.) Next when putting the seats in there should be an extra plug under where the seat supposed to be. This is where the elements plug up into. Put the seat in and plug everything up.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 PM

i do have a wire not pluged in under my seat but i thought this was for the memory seat option or the active headrests, could my drivers seat already have the heating element in it, just not hooked up?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:09 PM

I worked on an 02 GXE that had a blank in the fuse box, that is the htd seats on mine, so idk if you need a new fuse box or not, on another related question how hard would it be to do rear htd seats like 6th gens with the elite pkg?