5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

!!! I brought my MAF back to life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:45 AM

!!! I brought my MAF back to life!!!

yes, my "blown" MAF is back and feels like new! here's exactly what i did and i didn't intend to bring it back to life. after putting in my test pipe, i felt no gain and barely noticable that it was even in (if someone else drove they wouldn't have known any difference whatsoever). i wanted some sound in my exhaust, so i got irritated and put in my GAB (gives the exhaust more sound) that i retired a couple months ago due to bad MAF. btw, car has been running sluggish and SLOW for nearly 6 months!!! this is my 2k1 maf too. SES light is on due to P0138, P0139, P0140 codes. doesn't affect performance.

1) went to my car and took out the filter for GAB mod. i disconnected my battery. made the coat hanger within 5 mins, went back to the car and installed the GAB (overall 15 mins since batt was dc). connected battery.

2) started up the car and went back to listen to my exhaust, sounded nice and rumbly, also noticed that SES light is off (usually stays this way for 5 mins then goes on because of my codes, i need o2 simulator)

3) went for a drive, car ran nice and felt louder (test pipe came to life lol) didn't go WOT because i just wanted to hear my exhaust, never reved past 3k.

4) half hour of driving, came home and parked.

5) went inside but decided to go back to mess with the MAF. unplugged the battery and disconnected the MAF plug from the tube. connected battery back.

6) started up the car and SES light back on immediately, reved up to 2k for 15 secs and then shut off the car.

7) connected MAF and turned car on car again, SES still on so i got mad and decided to dc battery and went inside my house.

8) 4 hours later, went to my car and drove for a bit. cherped 1st-2nd gear no PROB! car felt more POWERFUL than when i first bought the MAF (the new MAF felt like the old bad one actually).

this wasn't intended for fixing MAF, but rather for having the SES light off. and i'm not sure why this worked. if someone with a blown MAF can do this, perhaps see if it works for you too. save my butt 100 beans. SES still hasn't come on! btw, idling issues are GONE! no bouncy revs
Old 10-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No idea what you exactly did. I gues just bunch of connecting and disconnecting..
Old 10-03-2005, 10:16 AM
大陆弟弟

Ya, all I learned was take of MAF start car, re-connect MAF and disconnect battery for uber long time.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sure your MAF was blown?

You sure your MAF was "blown"? If your MAF was "restored" from non-working to working, the only thing I can think of is that your MAF wiring was a little loose and the all your connecting/disconnecting/connecting you got lucky and restored an electrical connection. The MAF sensor is basically a little slip of thin metal which is heated (1 wire) and then the airflow over the metal causes voltage fluctuations your car ECU reads (another wire, and the third wire being the ground) - maybe one of these connections was restored? Otherwise, I can't see anything from what you did to "restore" your blown MAF. Maybe something else unrelated to the MAF was fixed with the general ECU reset? Not flaming at all, glad your car had its power restored, just trying to figure out what may have happened as I just replaced my MAF last month and am always open to saving $100 bucks if I can....
Old 10-03-2005, 02:07 PM

not sure either, i guess i'm just lucky. i'm sure my MAF was gone and bad. i know the symptoms. all i know is that i did what was listed above and my car is running awesome.

sorry, i'm just happy and i don't care if anyone flames or talks smack. if you've got a bad MAF, try what i did... it's not like you're not paying me and i'm promising it's will work.