5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Impression on the D2 after 6 months ride...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 06:42 PM

Impression on the D2 after 6 months ride...

Hey guys, last year I bought a set of D2 coilover from a GD, I installed the D2 this past spring. At first I was really excited to experiment this new suspension set-up, I was upgrading from stock shock and Maxspeed spring.
It's been 6 months now that the D2 are on the car and in term of performance the D2 improve the handling a lot, no matter if you had stock or aftermarket shock & spring. As far as the comfort, coilover are race derivated so I was expecting a harsher ride, actually I was expecting it to be worst that what it is. Now for the negative aspect, first the flimsy rubber broke after few days only and it make the spring squeak when turning or entering the drive way. The front colar regularly unlock which make the spring become loose it also make a clunk noise that is really bothering me, every time I have to jack the car and re-tight everything. I also find that the car alignment Is harder to keep strait sort of speak, I have a negative camber of .5 I have had my car align 2 or 3 times over the summer. Last week I had to re-tight everyting after hearing a clunk noise coming from the front right, but to my dismiss everything was very thigh and could not find what was klunking. I think I might have a blown strut, how can I be shure ? Any idea ? I have been driving the car daily and I'm still not satisfied with my actual set-up, I want the car to be solid and I'm shure it can be improve. All the D2 tweaking bug me sometime, I dont mind to spend time on my car but doing the same thing over and over kill me. I'm wondering if all the coilover require all that tweaking ? I'll be fabricating new seat for the D2 over the winter, if that cure the noise then good otherwise I will move to something else. Feel free to share your personal experience with different suspension set-up.

Cheers

AA
Old 10-04-2005, 10:37 PM

Yeah Ive had my D2s no for about almost a year now. I still have some noise coming from the front Coilovers!! I got my 2 front struts changed once and now they feel really good but yeah that small clicking noises when turning still bother me. Im gonna re tighten things and try to figure out whats still making noise under there. Over all I like the feel of them I thought I would have a stiffer ride but Ive grown to like the ride and fell of my car. The handling is way better than what it was. I love the way I can take turns with these!!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Horra!!

I've learned to live with all the creaks and moans that come out of the D2's. The bad side I've experienced is that the D2's have eaten their way through 2 sets of wheel bearings and can never keep an alignment for more than a month. Other than that I love the look and the handling.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Hmmm...I've had good luck with mine over the past 6 months. Alignment has been great, no problems that I know of. My spring isolators are a type of white plastic. I greased them when I installed them and once since then and there has been no creaking/popping noises.

I love the ride and handling. I'm dropped almost 3 inches and love the way it looks.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Main reason why i have upgraded to any type of new suspension. I can't stand any type of noise and i like my car to ride sporty but not harsh. To me the stock SE suspension with tokico hp make the max perfect..
Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
Hey guys, last year I bought a set of D2 coilover from a GD, I installed the D2 this past spring. At first I was really excited to experiment this new suspension set-up, I was upgrading from stock shock and Maxspeed spring.
It's been 6 months now that the D2 are on the car and in term of performance the D2 improve the handling a lot, no matter if you had stock or aftermarket shock & spring. As far as the comfort, coilover are race derivated so I was expecting a harsher ride, actually I was expecting it to be worst that what it is. Now for the negative aspect, first the flimsy rubber broke after few days only and it make the spring squeak when turning or entering the drive way. The front colar regularly unlock which make the spring become loose it also make a clunk noise that is really bothering me, every time I have to jack the car and re-tight everything. I also find that the car alignment Is harder to keep strait sort of speak, I have a negative camber of .5 I have had my car align 2 or 3 times over the summer. Last week I had to re-tight everyting after hearing a clunk noise coming from the front right, but to my dismiss everything was very thigh and could not find what was klunking. I think I might have a blown strut, how can I be shure ? Any idea ? I have been driving the car daily and I'm still not satisfied with my actual set-up, I want the car to be solid and I'm shure it can be improve. All the D2 tweaking bug me sometime, I dont mind to spend time on my car but doing the same thing over and over kill me. I'm wondering if all the coilover require all that tweaking ? I'll be fabricating new seat for the D2 over the winter, if that cure the noise then good otherwise I will move to something else. Feel free to share your personal experience with different suspension set-up.

Cheers

AA
I have had the same problem with mine.... I have been on the phone with Urban Import for two weeks about it. They sent me new Bottom mounts for the fronts. That seems to be where the noise is comming from, I think they wear out and cannot tighten down enough to hold the strut so it clunks. I have yet to install them since I moved this weekend, I hope to before the weekend. I would call UI about it since they told me I was the only one with this problem in the new batch ( yeah I am from the nightmare GD as well).

PS- they have a new # now.... 919-544-4140
Old 10-05-2005, 08:44 AM

well i can say the same for k sports but i have learned to live with it...the creaking and clunking ..but the ride is great other than that...then again im on 19's so...
Old 10-06-2005, 03:22 PM

The clunking nois is only coming from the front left side, so I might have a blown strut anyway the car will be store for the winter in about 2-3 weeks so I'll have planty of time to check it out. Thanks for Urban Import phone number I'll give them a shout tommorow.

Thanks for your comments guys.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:26 PM
drag racing is for wussies

My JIC Magic FLTA2s make some clunking noises from the spring poping at speeds up to 10MPH, anything past that everything is great. I never driven them on anything higher than 8th setting and the ride is stiffer than a stock EVO.

Bluesbrekr- what kinda insulating plastic did you use on the springs ? Where did you buy it from ? I wanna put some on my springs to cure the right front spring from making the noise. It seems as if I rotate the spring a lil bit the poping stops for a few weeks and it comes back. My front shocks are brand new, I got ES bushings all around and the ride is nice and solid, no body roll at all.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
My JIC Magic FLTA2s make some clunking noises from the spring poping at speeds up to 10MPH, anything past that everything is great. I never driven them on anything higher than 8th setting and the ride is stiffer than a stock EVO.

Bluesbrekr- what kinda insulating plastic did you use on the springs ? Where did you buy it from ? I wanna put some on my springs to cure the right front spring from making the noise. It seems as if I rotate the spring a lil bit the poping stops for a few weeks and it comes back. My front shocks are brand new, I got ES bushings all around and the ride is nice and solid, no body roll at all.
My D2's will clunk even at 80mph down the highway, the wierd thig is, it does not clunk on bigger bumps just the little ones. I have turned off my radio and bring my car to about 3000rpms on the highway (the quitest point for my exhaust) and I can hear the passangers front coilover clunking like crazy. Thats when I decided to call UI. I hope to have the new bottom mounts installed tonight after work.... then I am going to experiment with the old ones
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 AM

Ok I left a message to Urban import, I believe I have the same problem as upstatemax, I hear that clunk noise mostly on small bump, it's like somthing is loose up there.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:06 AM

I had the same clunking problems until I realized the coilover assembly had not been tightened enough from the top. Basically the bolt under the hood under the purple adjustment **** and collar needed to be tightened and once I did that I have not heard a single clunking noise. The only problem I have had so far is the usual creaking from the spring isolators disintegrating and a busted CV boot. Other than that everything has been good.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:21 AM

Hey nadeemp8, I've tightened that bolt before but yesterday when I've double check I find out that the bolt are thigh and the collar too so it might be the upper mount that are shot.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ

Mine came with the plastic. I didn't replace anything. I'll grease them again when I put on my winter rims/tires. They creak a small amount when the grease wears off.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:37 PM

Ok... I just installed the new lower mounts and there is NO CLUNKING.

It is amazing how sloppy it made the handeling to have worn out bottom mounts. The car feels much better and is quite again
Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 PM

Can you please be more precise about the lower mount ?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

How the hell does a lower mount wear out that fast? Talk about shoddy craftsmanship....

I've been riding on my D2's for about 9 months now. I've had all the same issues you guys are talking about less the wheel bearings (thank God). Here is what I've found...

1. Clunking noise -- comes from loose bottom collars and loose top nut. I check the bottom collar regularly, and used an impact wrench and loc-tite on the top nut to keep it secure. This has pretty much eliminated all clunking noises. Just annoying to have to check the lower collars all the time (basically every oil change).

2. Creaking -- this comes from the springs rubbing on the top and lower collars. I got some coil spring isolaters from Summit racing. They fit, but are VERY snug...I had to stretch them out a bit to get them to fit over the top and bottom mounts. I used to grease the contact points prior to installing the isolaters. Since installation no more creaking or groaning noises. **I posted information about ordering and the part number for the coil spring isolaters in the other D2 thread (feedback and idea thread).

3. Alignment -- Well not much to do about this one. Lucky I have a lifetime alignment with Firestone. But I have noticed that if you go over large dips or bumps at an angle it tends to throw alignment off. But after a while the car will regain alignment. I think this is because the spring is separated from the top and bottom seats and when the shock compresses again the spring doesn't sit right and tweaks the alignment.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by doublea
Can you please be more precise about the lower mount ?

The thing circled in green....

Old 10-08-2005, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
How the hell does a lower mount wear out that fast? Talk about shoddy craftsmanship....

I did notice quite a bit of gunk that accumlated between the two plates that come togeather to hold the strut... I am going to clean the old ones really well and put them back on someday, see if it was accumulated crap that would not let it tighten all the way.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
I did notice quite a bit of gunk that accumlated between the two plates that come togeather to hold the strut... I am going to clean the old ones really well and put them back on someday, see if it was accumulated crap that would not let it tighten all the way.
That is definately a must, if there is debris between the two collars it will not tighetn down fully and they will break loose.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:52 AM

I will double check the lower mount, that sound like it might be my problem.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Horra!!

I've been riding on my D2's for about 9 months now. I've had all the same issues you guys are talking about less the wheel bearings (thank God). Here is what I've found...

1. Clunking noise -- comes from loose bottom collars and loose top nut. I check the bottom collar regularly, and used an impact wrench and loc-tite on the top nut to keep it secure. This has pretty much eliminated all clunking noises. Just annoying to have to check the lower collars all the time (basically every oil change).

2. Creaking -- this comes from the springs rubbing on the top and lower collars. I got some coil spring isolaters from Summit racing. They fit, but are VERY snug...I had to stretch them out a bit to get them to fit over the top and bottom mounts. I used to grease the contact points prior to installing the isolaters. Since installation no more creaking or groaning noises. **I posted information about ordering and the part number for the coil spring isolaters in the other D2 thread (feedback and idea thread).

3. Alignment -- Well not much to do about this one. Lucky I have a lifetime alignment with Firestone. But I have noticed that if you go over large dips or bumps at an angle it tends to throw alignment off. But after a while the car will regain alignment. I think this is because the spring is separated from the top and bottom seats and when the shock compresses again the spring doesn't sit right and tweaks the alignment.
Thats some good info. Looks like you've been looking into your problems pretty extensively. I'm gonna go check on my setup right now.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

FYI...here is a link to the post where I give the info about the coil spring isolators I used.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=127
Old 10-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Finally I spend some time this morning re-checking and tighting all the bolts on my D2, and I still have that clunk noies coming from both front side, is it possible that both shock are shots ? My D2 where purchase from the first group deal that was made... I cant see anything other than that I mean it make a sound like something loose is banging, both front bearing and wheel hub has been replace last spring so I would have a doubt it could be that again. Does anyone has an idea how I can test the D2 and make shure the shock are not shot.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM

FYI...here is a link to the post where I give the info about the coil spring isolators I used.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=127
I might try these thanks..

I have some clunking noise from the passenger side but I have the
Cattman coilovers.. its getting annoying.. its been 2 months since Ive installed my Coilovers.