5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rain issues need help bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:50 AM

rain issues need help bad!!!

Well I live in NJ and if anyone lives on the east coast they know what kinda rain we have had all week. It has been pretty bad. So I was driving home on the park way on thursday night and it was pouring rain out. I have an injen intake look alike and so I avoid puddles at all cost. In fact I will turn around and go another way just to avoid puddles. So when I was driving down the park way all of a sudden my car felt like I hit the breaks while cruising at like 70. Then the car went back to having power again and the SES light came on. So when I tried to give it some gas it would bog out and now the rev limiter kicks in at like 2500 rpm. When at idle the rpms jump around and sometimes it feels like it's going to die when I try to take off from a light. When I got home I turned the car off and then started it again. It took me 3 tries till it finally would start. It kept starting then stalling out after a couple of seconds. I just don't know what happened. I am guessing the filter just got to wet due to all the rain and maybe some water came through and blew my MAF. I am not sure if these symptoms sound like a MAF problem though. Please help me out. I am going to cut the piping on my injen to make it more like a frankencar or berk intake. I don't want to worry about the water anymore. I mean who knows I might even see better results with it being a WAI setup anyways. I have a 6 speed if that helps anyone. So if you guys could give me some input I would definately appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Alfred.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by hawaiiankine
Well I live in NJ and if anyone lives on the east coast they know what kinda rain we have had all week. It has been pretty bad. So I was driving home on the park way on thursday night and it was pouring rain out. I have an injen intake look alike and so I avoid puddles at all cost. In fact I will turn around and go another way just to avoid puddles. So when I was driving down the park way all of a sudden my car felt like I hit the breaks while cruising at like 70. Then the car went back to having power again and the SES light came on. So when I tried to give it some gas it would bog out and now the rev limiter kicks in at like 2500 rpm. When at idle the rpms jump around and sometimes it feels like it's going to die when I try to take off from a light. When I got home I turned the car off and then started it again. It took me 3 tries till it finally would start. It kept starting then stalling out after a couple of seconds. I just don't know what happened. I am guessing the filter just got to wet due to all the rain and maybe some water came through and blew my MAF. I am not sure if these symptoms sound like a MAF problem though. Please help me out. I am going to cut the piping on my injen to make it more like a frankencar or berk intake. I don't want to worry about the water anymore. I mean who knows I might even see better results with it being a WAI setup anyways. I have a 6 speed if that helps anyone. So if you guys could give me some input I would definately appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Alfred.

Damn man that sucks I'm sorry, and I don't really know what could cause that, but I just want to say this...

People WAY OVERESTIMATE the dangers with water and intakes. That intake is so far up in the bay that no water will really get to it, and second off the only time you have to worry about it sucking in water is if it's completely submerged (only time a bypass valve will help is if its totally submerged) and that will never happen. I have had a PR CAI sitting like one foot off the ground for 3 years and I've driven in water that was more than half way up my tire for a distance of about a half mile driving 10 miles per hour and NOTHING happened and I don't even have a bypass valve. I've driven in horrible rain storms and through huge puddles more times than I can count with a filter much lower than the Injen and have had no issues. I'm not sayin that isn't what's wrong, but I highly doubt that it sucked up much water, if any at all, that could cause a problem. My friends car (stock) stalled out yesterday at a light when I was in it and took him forever to start it back up and we have no idea why. If i figure it out, i'll tell you bc maybe its the same type of problem with yours. Good luck resolving the issue.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:11 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I had a similar thing happen to me in pouring rain with filter exposed by the left front wheel- all the water coming off the wheel was hitting the filter. I was bout to get on the highway and the car just died, everything down to the radio and clock, lights was OFF. I got out of the car on the onramp for the AutoBahn (I355) unplugged my MAF and she started right up. I drove home at 59MPH on cruise and basically drove it very lightly as the ECU wouldn't let me give it more than like 10% throttle or the engine would die out. I just put that MAF in my Maxima like 2 week before that to see if it would smoothen out my slight hesistation I was getting when cold, so I went to the dealer and told them to warranty it since I bought it from them. I got a new MAF, went home, and next day came back to them with the old one. Funny thing is, rain stopped on the way home and looks like the MAF had dried off, cause as I was leaving the dealership I poped the hood, and plugged the MAF back in and she ran normal again. I still put in a new MAF, and gave them back the wet one -- warranty.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:31 PM
retired moderator

In your case, it's probably not intake-related with water, unless you drove through some DEEP water (rain will not do anything).

It sounds like a textbook blown MAF, and probably just coincidence it happened in the rain.....unplug the MAF and you should be able to drive, to some extent...to the dealer (or call DaveB for a new MAF). Like I said, though, I doubt it was related to water unless you submerged the intake...
Old 10-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

blown MAF and expensive repair for 02-03 Max.... good luck
Old 10-15-2005, 07:10 PM

well is there a better year MAF to get for my car than the 02?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:11 PM

well I called up Dave B. and he hooked me up with a 2001 MAF and I am just goin to swap out the IAT sensor. He said it's cheaper and stronger and it should be better than the 2002 model. I just can't wait to get it in and get my car back. I was also looking into getting rid of the so called injen CAI intake and just cutting the piping down so that it is like a WAI. This way I don't have to worry about water or the filter sitting so low. What do you guys think? Do you think I will lose any power or who know's maybe I might gain something from the deal. Any input would be appreciated.

Alfred.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:14 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Injen CAI sucks in hot air, and its bout as good on performance as carrying 3 400lbs bisshes while going down the 1/4.

Get a Berk intake, since Place Racing no longer is in existance.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:23 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
.... carrying 3 400lbs bisshes while going down the 1/4.
and Mike knows this from experience, so listen to him
Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by irish44j
and Mike knows this from experience, so listen to him

I just switched from Injen to Berk right before all this rain happened in Jersey. I was happy I did, I got my low end back... and It started flooding at my workplace, and I had to drive through it! I was a happy pappy!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:44 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Injen CAI sucks in hot air, and its bout as good on performance as carrying 3 400lbs bisshes while going down the 1/4.

Get a Berk intake, since Place Racing no longer is in existance.
Oh just out of curiousity, did the Place Racing CAI loose in the low end like the Injen?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by rbrown81
Oh just out of curiousity, did the Place Racing CAI loose in the low end like the Injen?
Yah it does but not as bad as Injen and it makes up for it in the higher RPMs
Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by hawaiiankine
well I called up Dave B. and he hooked me up with a 2001 MAF and I am just goin to swap out the IAT sensor. He said it's cheaper and stronger and it should be better than the 2002 model. I just can't wait to get it in and get my car back. I was also looking into getting rid of the so called injen CAI intake and just cutting the piping down so that it is like a WAI. This way I don't have to worry about water or the filter sitting so low. What do you guys think? Do you think I will lose any power or who know's maybe I might gain something from the deal. Any input would be appreciated.

Alfred.
DO IT, I JUST DID BC I LIVE ON THE SOUTH SHORE OF LONG ISLAND AND WE GOT HIT BY THAT RAIN TOO, I FEEL MOST OF MY LOW END POWER HAS COME BACK ASWELL AS MID POWER!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:37 PM

When I had my 94 accord I sucked up water through the intake then I pulled it over and took out the spark plugs and then tried to start it. The water poured out of each cylinder and all I had to do was repalce the plugs. The car was an automatic.
In my 97 civic I suck up some water but intake had no bypass vavle and motor hydrolocked. It was a 5 speed so I was out of luck. Try just replacing the plugs for safety purposes.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:40 PM

yea well i'm definately going to cut my injen. I mean there is really no point in me buying a whole new intake. I will just modify the one I have for money's sake. I just can't wait to get my car back. I am having withdrawls. Is there a right up on swapping the IAT sensor out of my old MAF into a 01' MAF?