5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Altima is faster than your 2k Max.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 09:23 PM
PodiumPaul26

You might want to think about selling that new Max of yours while there is a strong market for them. 2002 Altima will come with the vq30 eng. (maxima motor). The next gen Maxima will come with the vq35 (2001 pathfinder motor). I got rid of mine ..........

Old 05-29-2001, 09:33 PM

hmmmmm. hehe. Ill say nothing.
Old 05-29-2001, 09:36 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by PodiumPaul26
You might want to think about selling that new Max of yours while there is a strong market for them. 2002 Altima will come with the vq30 eng. (maxima motor). The next gen Maxima will come with the vq35 (2001 pathfinder motor). I got rid of mine ..........
I'm different for sure! I don't sell something until I something to replace in right away. I love my Max5pd and the Mods I have on it. Intake, Y-Pipe (installing this week), FSTB, RSB, STS and lighting...I noticed the new Altima doesn't have stock side markers...I love my Piaa Plats in my Headlights, Fogs and front/back clear side lenses. I would put my car up against the new Altima right now. With my fstb and rsb, Intake/Y-Pipe I can't see them blowing me away and I will probably out handle the Altima...well until they get start getting modded out....

PS I am going to enjoy my Max all summer long! I don't believe the Max will drop big time in price. Remember most people who buy them aren't on the Org and go nuts for mods. With gas prices the way they are and probably getting worse the Maxima looks like a promising ride since the Altima is going to be a huge gas guzzler. I'm not worried...

Old 05-29-2001, 09:40 PM

Oh Jesus God, NO! Can this possibly be true!!! (insert SHOCK here)

Perhaps we should petition to make the search link BOLD... in fact, I remember there is a fabled, yet very rare <blink> tag... hmmm....

-Tom Z.
Old 05-29-2001, 09:41 PM

vq35
Old 05-29-2001, 10:07 PM

You might want to think about selling that new Max of yours while there is a strong market for them...
which would be why I was offered a whole 17k for my SE?
Old 05-29-2001, 10:23 PM

Yeah, but...

Good God man, it's an A-l-t-i-m-a! They could
put an 8 cylinder engine in it and it's still an
A-l-t-i-m-a.

You won't see me trading in my Max for an Altima for
the same reason you won't see me trading it in for
a Subaru WRX. Why? It's a S-u-b-a-r-u!.

Need I say more? OK, I will. ;-) If you have to be the
fastest thing around, go get yourself a Lamborghini
or a big-block Corvette and be done with it.

Quit whining about the bloody Altimas! I can't believe
people actually wrote letters to Nissan complaining
about this! They won't fix our paint, did you expect
them to ship you a new engine? Enough already!

Old 05-29-2001, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by tomz17

Oh Jesus God, NO! Can this possibly be true!!! (insert SHOCK here)

Perhaps we should petition to make the search link BOLD... in fact, I remember there is a fabled, yet very rare <blink> tag... hmmm....

-Tom Z.
I like the blink idea!

As I've said before... KILL ME NOW!
Old 05-29-2001, 10:30 PM

Gee, thanks for the advice. Not to be mean but we've been aware of the impending power of the Altima for awhile now. Personally, no car of "similar" specs will motivate me to lose thousands on my Max. The Max is a great car. But to each man his own.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:34 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

confused...

what are you driving til the end of the year when the 3.5's are available? You bought a car that isnt even here yet?

RULE #1 of buying a nissan.... DO NOT BUY A CAR YOU HAVENT SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't put down a deposit until you have DRIVEN THE EXACT CAR THAT WILL BE YOURS.

go ahead, roll the dice, good luck.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:36 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

btw...

who cares about faster??? I don't, my max is pretty damn fast as is. I care about refinement. that remains to be seen with the new altima.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:37 PM

Re: Yeah, but...

Originally posted by Scooter
*snip*

You won't see me trading in my Max for an Altima for
the same reason you won't see me trading it in for
a Subaru WRX. Why? It's a S-u-b-a-r-u!.

*snip*
Whats wrong with Subies? They've got a higher reliabilty rating that Nissan. The WRX and Max are really in two different categories. WRX = Performance, Maxima = Sport Sedan
Old 05-30-2001, 12:01 AM

The speed difference between the 2002 Altima and the 2000 Maxima is not worth fretting over. If you're going to upgrade, why not spend a few more thousand and upgrade to a real sports car (ie. possibly the Z)? Selling right now would be a total waste of money.

The only sore point for me is the IRS...grrr.

Nissan
Old 05-30-2001, 12:03 AM

Yoooo U gonna take my offer of $150 for the Body Kit??

Old 05-30-2001, 05:23 AM

altima vs maxima

Not to try to rub more salt in everyone's wound out there
but the new Altima motor IS the 3.5l according to the Nissan website. Only tuned to 240 HP thought in the Altima.
May also give styling clues to the 2002 Max......the new Altima does appear to have clear taillights and a nice (IMO) dual exhaust set-up similar looking to the Acura TL.
But like some others here, Nissan has always made the Altima a crappy simple little car and trying to revive the nameplate may have just come too late................
I'll be keeping the Max
Old 05-30-2001, 05:32 AM

Re: altima vs maxima

Originally posted by 01SEMAX94SE4X4
Not to try to rub more salt in everyone's wound out there
but the new Altima motor IS the 3.5l according to the Nissan website. Only tuned to 240 HP thought in the Altima.
May also give styling clues to the 2002 Max......the new Altima does appear to have clear taillights and a nice (IMO) dual exhaust set-up similar looking to the Acura TL.
But like some others here, Nissan has always made the Altima a crappy simple little car and trying to revive the nameplate may have just come too late................
I'll be keeping the Max

Very well put.
Old 05-30-2001, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: altima vs maxima

Besides, look how crappy and cheap the inside of the altima looks

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/200...l2483mult.html
Old 05-30-2001, 11:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: altima vs maxima

Originally posted by JDOGG118
I don't think the Altima looks bad at all. It's quite nice, actually, especially when compared to the yawn-inducing Accords and Camrys of the world. With class-leading performance specs and a new shell, I would hope Nissan does well against those two best sellers.

I wouldn't trade my Maxima for it, that's for sure, since I love her and intend to keep my SE until the very end of her life, but if the Altima turns out to be good, I wouldn't have any problems recommending it to others.

Go, Nissan! (Dang, I feel like a cheerleader or something! )
Old 05-30-2001, 11:06 AM

I think the inside is ugly..with that radio thats looks like its popping out around the sides..and all the space under those 3 BIG A/C ***** (the BIG 3 ***** remind me of the fords).. the inside looks like crap!
Old 05-30-2001, 11:30 AM

Sigh... , I guess you're right PodiumPaul. What kind of car do you think I should get? Before you say something else, let me have you talk to Deez...Deez Nutz!

.org guys: C'mon now; let's not get all worked up by a juvenile statement like this. It's best to ignore it. We all know better.

An Altima by any other engine, be it a 5.4 litre 60valve V12 or a 2 hamster powered 1.8 litre L4, is still an Altima.
A Maxima will never be an Altima and Altima never be a Maxima. Remember: the Altima IS the Nissan Stanza if they didn't change the name.

It's all in the NAME and the MARQUE.
Old 05-31-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by maximawanabee

Sigh... , I guess you're right PodiumPaul. What kind of car do you think I should get? Before you say something else, let me have you talk to Deez...Deez Nutz!

.org guys: C'mon now; let's not get all worked up by a juvenile statement like this. It's best to ignore it. We all know better.

An Altima by any other engine, be it a 5.4 litre 60valve V12 or a 2 hamster powered 1.8 litre L4, is still an Altima.
A Maxima will never be an Altima and Altima never be a Maxima. Remember: the Altima IS the Nissan Stanza if they didn't change the name.

It's all in the NAME and the MARQUE.
Funny that you mention that the Altima is the Stanza. The first year or two (can't remember) Nissan actually put "Stanza" on the Altima in small letters on the left side of the trunk.

I really do think that Nissan should have come up with another name for the new Altima. Heck, some of us might have actually thought about trading our Max's eventually for the car if it had another name. I can't imagine telling someone that I traded my Maxima for an Altima. I know it's all psychological but to me Altima=Alternative while Maxima=Maximum. I just can't help but feel that way. Especially after this last 2nd Gen Altima (1998-2001)...what were they thinking???
Old 05-31-2001, 02:01 PM
DOM

So I trade my Maxima in for an extra 18 hp and lose thousands of dollars? Or I get really dumb and do this only to trade it in a few years for more money losses for 18 more hp? No way.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: altima vs maxima

Originally posted by JDOGG118

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/200...l2483mult.html
well I do like the exterior of the Altima, but disappointed in the inside... it appears as if there isn't going to be automatic climate control. I guess there will be other little things missing (which is good in that it will still give the Max other distinctions).

So it appears they are just trying to directly compete with Camry. The Max was always a little better than the Camry but not quite as big as the Avalon (nor as fugly, I might add).

Regardless, I'll be keeping the Max :-)
Old 05-31-2001, 07:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: altima vs maxima

wow.. u know I disappear for a couple of months, and I need to fix my signature :-P

...guess it's time to go investigate all the other changes I've missed!!
Old 05-31-2001, 10:35 PM
PodiumPaul26

I guess its easy to run at the mouth so to speek when you hide behind a keyboard. Why didnt you take your own advice "wanabeaMAN" and just "ignore" this thread. And talk about a "juvenile statement", what the hell is the "nutz" thing all about.
The real meaning behind all this is that Nissan is now looking up for a change. It wasnt too long ago that they were a company billions of dollars in debt. Now with Renult onboard we are now starting to see some real cool stuff. As for the altima, the 3.5L is going to be an option. The Maxima will come standard with it. Any one who has driven a 2001 pathfinder knows that this motor realy KICKS ***. Do me a favor dont sell your Maxima with the clear lights, Red dome light, neon dash tubes, DTC making intake, and oh ya K&n Filter. As long as you "Enjoy the ride", then that is all that matters.

Old 05-31-2001, 10:46 PM

Blah... blah... blah...

Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...Blah... blah... blah...

To the reg peeps... sorry.

NFCATAS.