5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

reading ABS error code again

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:14 AM

reading ABS error code again

Hi
Asked this question few months back, but got no answer.
My ABS light is on... I'm not paying $81 for dealer diag. ;D
Service manual states that theres a way to read ABS error code by shorting 2 pins in OBD-II connector. but i could not get it to work.
Any ideas? Anyone knows how to do it? or any other way to find out whats wrong with my abs?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did you follow the prcedure exactly as specified? did you have a good ground?

it would also be helpful if you posted your y/m/m
Old 10-21-2005, 07:14 AM

Well i have 2000 GLX

And i think i followed the procedure correctly

it says: Ground terminal "8" of "Data link connector"

By Data link conector they mean the OBD-II port underneath on the driver side, right?

and here's pinout for the connector looking from the bottom on the car side, am i right?

/16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9\
/ 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 \

I'm suppose to ground pin 8 : 1st pin on the left on the wider side of connector?

if yes.. i tried that... and nothing happens. ( of course i'm following the whole procedure, not only grounding pin 8)
is it possible that ABS computer is shot?
my front ABS is working fine... back wheels... hard to say... but i don't think so.
tested all sensors with multimeter with procedures from the manual, and seem to be ok..
Old 10-22-2005, 02:03 PM

lol... try pin 9 and see what happens
Old 10-22-2005, 02:07 PM

isn't pin 9 a +12V?

please explain exactly which pin is which ;-) i'm lost, winter's coming. my ABS is not working for over 6 months now ;D
if you know how to read these codes, let me know... pleeeassse ;D
Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 PM

no, pin 16 and 8 are B+ (which means you should ck fuse 10 also )

FUNCTION

When a problem occurs in the ABS, the ABS warning lamp on the instrument panel comes on. When a problem occurs in the TCS, the TCS OFF indicator lamp and SLIP indicator lamp on the instrument panel comes on. To actuate the self-diagnostic results mode, ground the self-diagnostic (check) terminal located on "Data link connector". The location of the malfunction is indicated by the ABS warning lamp or SLIP indicator lamp flashing.
Without TCS...A self-diagnostic result is indicated by means of the ABS warning lamp.
With TCS...A self-diagnostic result is indicated by means of the SLIP indicator lamp.
SELF-DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE

Drive vehicle over 30 km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
Turn ignition switch "OFF".

Ground terminal "9" of "Data link connector" with a suitable harness.
Turn ignition switch "ON" while grounding terminal "9". Do not depress brake pedal. Do not start engine.

After 3.0 seconds, the ABS warning lamp or SLIP indicator lamp starts flashing to indicate the malfunction code No. (See NOTE.)
Verify the location of the malfunction with the malfunction code chart. Then make the necessary repairs following the diagnostic procedures.
After the malfunctions are repaired, erase the malfunction codes stored in the control unit.
Rerun the self-diagnostic results mode to verify that the malfunction codes have been erased.

Disconnect the check terminal from the ground. The self-diagnostic results mode is now complete.
Check ABS warning lamp, TCS OFF indicator lamp and SLIP indicator lamp for deactivation after driving vehicle over 30 km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
After making certain that ABS warning lamp, TCS OFF indicator lamp and SLIP indicator lamp does not come on, test the ABS/TCS SELF-DIAGNOSIS in a safe area to verify that it functions properly. NOTE: The indication terminates after five minutes. However, when the ignition switch is turned from "OFF" to "ON", the SLIP indication starts flashing again. The TCS OFF indicator lamp and ABS warning lamp remain lighted.
HOW TO READ SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS (MALFUNCTION CODES)

Determine the code No. by counting the number of times the ABS warning lamp or SLIP indicator lamp flashes on and off.
When several malfunctions occur at one time, up to three code numbers can be stored; the latest malfunction will be indicated first.
The indication begins with the start code 12. After that a maximum of three code numbers appear in the order of the latest one first. The indication then returns to the start code 12 to repeat (the indication will stay on for five minutes at the most).
Old 10-23-2005, 09:53 AM

hmm. i blew a fuse grounding pin 9...
on pin 8 nothing was happening...
i think i have my pinout all messed up ...
ill be trying .. but i have to get more fuses first. ;D
also.. why my service manual says pin 8? ;-) the rest of the text is identical word-by-word.. except you have pin 9, and i have pin 8.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:12 AM

ok, few sets of fuses and i got some progress ;D
found the right pin ( i guess)
but all it shows is code 12.
i tried to erase the self-diag results. as per manual:
1. Disconnect the check terminal from ground (ABS warning lamp will stay lit).

well. in my case it does not stay lit. it goes off.

2. Within 12.5 seconds, ground the check terminal 3 times. Each terminal ground must last more than 1 second. The ABS warning lamp goes out after the erase operation has been completed.

In my case it goes on..

exactly the opposite.
and the lamp is still on when driving. Can't get rid of it..
any other ideas on what can be wrong?

on BR-61 in manual it says it may be Control unit power supply circuit, warning lamp bulb circuit, control unit or control unit connector, solenoid valve relay stuck or power supply for solenoid valve relay coil...
should i try to find the problem myself or will it be better to pay that $80 for dealership?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Most likely it is an ABS sensor fault at one of them (4 altogether). I think there is a way to test each sensor, but unsure how to. Firestone Tire diagnosed my ABS light when I had it a long, long time ago. It was just a line pinch, and I had the choice of either replacing the sensor with the line or them fabricating a new one. I chose the latter, but I think the quote for ABS sensor replacement was more than $200.

Hope this helps something.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Most likely it is an ABS sensor fault at one of them (4 altogether). I think there is a way to test each sensor, but unsure how to.
Well i tested these sensors and seem to be ok. ALso.. ABS works fine. Except that annoying light..
Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 PM

code 12 is no problems found. its important that you drive the vehicle beforehand. also, rather than turning the key off, just shut the engine off. most ABS units will store a code in volatile memory, and get cleared when you trurn the key off.

so just turn the engine off, not the whole car.

does the light come on as soon as you start the car, or after you start rolling (driving)?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:06 AM

i will try that after work...

and the light stays on all the time... it only goes off when key is in IGN position.. as soon as the engine starts light is back on. i don't have to drive.
I don't know if it has anything to do with it....but....
about a year ago my abs stopped working. but there was no light. i found a broken(in half) FR speed sensor. Got a new one, replaced it.. as soon as i replaced the ABS light showed up. ABS works, but the light is on. If i disconnect that sensor light disappears, but ABS wont work of course... weird..
Old 10-25-2005, 08:07 PM

WTF...

ya... that is wierd. makes me think that you have an issue with the ABS module.

transistor for the bulb ckt got flipped or something.

...crazy
Old 10-26-2005, 06:35 AM

i was thinking the same about the flipped transistor ;-)
but when i do the diagnostics its blinking fine... so i know its working fine...
i think i will have to swap ABS module from a friends 00, and see what happens. do i have to disconnect battery to do it? and is it the module on the bottom left on the drivers side?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 PM

its a good idea to disconnect the battery... yes, drivers kick panel.

it the transistor was flipped, it might still flash the same code, just inverted. youve seen it flash and i havent, so i dont know... is off and on times the same, or is off time fixed while on time varies for comms?