5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What's With My New Wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 07:54 PM

Hey everyone!

I just purchased a 2001 AE and have been really happy with it, although it was a demo with 5k on it. I looked all over and this was the only one I could find with all the features I was searching for. My main concern is the wheels... it looks almost like the factory didnt spray them right or something (All 4 are like this). Check out the picture... I know it is hard to tell looking at it but I wanted to see what you all think. The wheels look like they have heavy brake dust on them, but they are clean and the surface is perfectly smooth. The dealer said they may be able to replace them under warranty. Have any of you seen another AE with wheels that look like this? Any advise? Thanks in advance!!

Wadester
2001 AE fully loaded
MOMO COBRA ALUMINUM/LEATHER SHIFT ****

85 300ZX Street Modified
Old 05-31-2001, 08:20 PM

I don't have an AE, but on all the ones I've seen, the wheels don't look like that. The Nissan pads are organic as far as I know, so you shouldn't get any permanent marks from them (semi-metallic pads f*ed up my old car's rims big time).

Look at some other AE's on the lot or at another dealership, but from the pic, they look pretty jacked up.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:44 PM

yikes....

that wheel looks pretty gruesome! Sorry Wreck Diver but they shouldn't look like that. It looks like something went wrong in the finishing process. I would take the dealer up on their offer of replacing the wheels under warranty.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:53 PM

i dont't know

But i would be all over that... take it back... tell them you want new ones.

Roger
Old 05-31-2001, 10:21 PM

Re: i dont't know

Originally posted by radpp16
But i would be all over that... take it back... tell them you want new ones.

Roger

It looks like someone tried to clean them with an abrasive cleaner to me! I have seen a few wheels that get a "wheel treatment" every week from this real abrasive cleaner. They look almost exactly like that.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:36 PM

Sweet mother of Jesus!! Get those suckers replaced ASAP!

For a car that got to you after 5K miles, those wheels look like they've been through the 5+ years of driving and lack of care. Hope your dealer is good enough to replace them for you.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:05 AM

Take them back!!!

Originally posted by Wreck-Diver
Hey everyone!

I just purchased a 2001 AE and have been really happy with it, although it was a demo with 5k on it. I looked all over and this was the only one I could find with all the features I was searching for. My main concern is the wheels... it looks almost like the factory didnt spray them right or something (All 4 are like this). Check out the picture... I know it is hard to tell looking at it but I wanted to see what you all think. The wheels look like they have heavy brake dust on them, but they are clean and the surface is perfectly smooth. The dealer said they may be able to replace them under warranty. Have any of you seen another AE with wheels that look like this? Any advise? Thanks in advance!!

Wadester
2001 AE fully loaded

85 300ZX Street Modified
Does anyone else see this? If you notice the brake caliper, looks like it have silver paint on it, but not completely. I think they took rims from a regular SE and spray painted it silver.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:50 AM

here's what i think. there's a spray on treatment for tires that you basically just spray on and leave, no wiping. i'm sure everyone here has used it. meguiars, armor all... they all make one now. if your car was on the showroom floor before it was a demo, it had this treatment done almost for sure.
the AE rims undergo a different finishing process from the 17" SE wheels to get that metallic finish as opposed to the painted-on look that my SE rims have. the problem comes in when you mix the two because the spray-on treatment works great but overspray makes it onto the rim itself. i use the armor all foam spray on mine about once a week. in the areas where there is overspray, i've noticed a slight dulling of the finish.
the light grey finish of my rims don't accentuate this so i've learned to live with it. but on your AE rims, i suspect it could lead to what you've got there. it's going to look even more obvious because of the darker metallic appearance.

just my thoughts. could be totally offbase.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:42 AM

AE Rims

I have an AE and have had it since new in Nov 2000. The rims are painted in a metallic paint but the insets do show a speckled offset with black. Nissan told me it was to allow the spokes to stand out and look almost chrome when clean. They do not however, look as bad as yours do. I hated the finish so much that I went to rims versus another set. They do however look alot better than the factory 17" non AE wheels that have a milky white type finish (no slam). Good luck.....
Old 06-01-2001, 04:52 AM
Got Bent?

those don't look right.....take them back....the dealer prep people may have used some harsh stuff on those wheels when they were making it ready for delivery to you.
Old 06-01-2001, 05:43 AM

I agree with the rest of group, take them back. You paid too much for a car to have some janked tires. That's a major "look" for any car is perfectly cleaned and maintained tires....You couldn't fix those with anything!
Old 06-01-2001, 08:06 AM

Right, they look like sh*t. I would guess that the vendor for the wheels didn't properly paint them, so the clear coat didn't have a chance. They look 15 years old. I just sold an 89 SE and the wheels looked perfect.
You should either demand complete refinishing of the wheels or replacements as this is simpler for the dealer.
Remember, it clearly is a marerial defect and that's what a warantee is for, use it.
Mike from WA
2k SE
Old 06-01-2001, 08:09 AM

Wheels

Hey everyone!

Wadester
2001 AE fully loaded

85 300ZX Street Modified
I have a brand new AE and my wheels do not look like that. Yours definitly have something wrong with them. Have the dealer replace them...or even better, see if he'll chrome them for you.

Good luck
Old 06-01-2001, 08:21 AM

Painted

It looks like someone re-painted them using a silver paint. Look at the brake (someone did a lousy job). They probably goofed-up the rims since it was a demo and tried to cover their tracks by painting them instead of replacing them (the regular 17" SE rim cost $575 a piece so I'd imagine the AE rims cost $700+ maybe more). So they bought a $10 can of paint instead of $3000 for new rims.

Demand that they replace them at their cost.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:15 AM

Re: AE Rims

Originally posted by killrwheels
They do however look alot better than the factory 17" non AE wheels that have a milky white type finish (no slam). Good luck.....
I happen to like the look of the "milky white."
Your rims look great.
I don't like the fact that they slapped that gray plastic disc on the AE...It doesn't match the rest of the "shiny" rim.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:28 AM

Wreck-Diver was your car undercoated? Mine was and some of the undercoating overspray got on my wheels and they looked somewhat like yours until I cleaned them.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:25 PM

Thanks to everyone!!

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! Makes me proud to be a Maxima owner... even with rims such as these. So here is what has transpired... this is a little long but kind of interesting:

I bought this AE at the dealer almost 2 weeks ago. I traded in a 1996 Maxima SE in PERFECT condition, but I still owed money on it. The only thing is that the dealer sales rep comes back and tells me "Hey Wade... I have GREAT news for you! We are willing to give you $5000.00 for your trade!" I dont think so! I almost left but you know how that goes... the sales rep has to go talk to the "manager" about the negotiations. This AE was a demo with about 5000 miles on it. There were some things I saw right away, like the wheels, but the dealer promised to make good on it. I intended on giving him a check right there but then I start talking about a lease with the finance manager. This was on a Saturday and the banks were closed at this time, but the let me take the car home anyhow and they were to call me back on Monday. This never happened... nobody would call me back! That was two weeks ago and I havent paid a dime yet. I was pretty frustrated over the whole deal to say the least. By today I was just ready to bring the car back, but I decided to give the sales guy one more call. Finally... I get him on the phone. He said that all the paperwork is ready for me to sign on my new car. I told him that I would not accept the car with the wheels looking the way they do. He tells me that they will take care of them no problem. So I said "Great! I just need you to put that in writing before I sign" and he said he cannot do that because the car is a demo and I already got a good deal on it. What happened to him "taking care of the wheels?? Hmmm... So then I hang up with him and call the owner of the dealer... I left a voice mail but right after that I get a call from the General Manager who listened to my problems and told me that he will take care of the rims no problem at all, and anything else that needs attention (like the floormats... they somehow forgot to put the AE floormats in). To make this long story short, here is what I got from the deal so far:

2001 AE fully loaded
1996 Maxima traded - I bought this used and owed more than it is worth
A 4 night 5 day cruise in the Bahamas
4 free oil changes (wont use them though because I prefer to change my own oil)
1 year free car washes from Mobile
Grand Total - $29,000.00

Now I think that is a sweet deal, but they better fix the rims!! Oh by the way, the car is not undercoated yet... I am taking it in tomorrow for that. I am thinking it was some kind of wheel cleaner that was sprayed on them before I bought the car that caused the damage. Thanks again to everyone! Sorry for the long post.

Wadester
Old 06-01-2001, 10:31 PM

Re: Thanks to everyone!!

what!

wanna take me with you? i'll be your best friend
Old 06-01-2001, 10:35 PM

Re: Thanks to everyone!!

To make this long story short, here is what I got from the deal so far:

2001 AE fully loaded
1996 Maxima traded - I bought this used and owed more than it is worth
4 free oil changes (wont use them though because I prefer to change my own oil)
1 year free car washes from Mobile
Grand Total - $29,000.00
Very nice, if the dealer does go through with verbal agreement stuff. Good luck, and if it all goes well...welcome aboard.

BTW, what kind of dealership throws in a trip to the Bahamas?!? I gotta find a dealer like that!
Old 06-01-2001, 10:43 PM

Re: Take them back!!!

Originally posted by SFMax20SE

Does anyone else see this? If you notice the brake caliper, looks like it have silver paint on it, but not completely. I think they took rims from a regular SE and spray painted it silver.

I agree
Old 06-01-2001, 10:54 PM

Re: Re: Thanks to everyone!!

Yea I hope they follow through on that!! I had them write it on a service request sheet when I got the car, under "things for the dealer to fix". They wrote down "clean back substance from wheels". We all know that wont clean off though. The general manager seems like he will really help out, but knowing that dealer, I will believe it when I see it!

The cruise was a great deal. I didnt even realize when I went in, but the dealer had that as a promotion that weekend! I need a vacation after all this mess!

Thats hilarious Jeff2k1GLE!
Old 06-02-2001, 06:40 AM

Due Slip

Before signing the final paperwork ask for a DUE SLIP. This will protect you from later claims that the warranty will not cover the repair on the wheels. Trust me, as a lot boy during the late 80's I saw alot of ****ed off customers because a promise was never delivered.
Old 06-02-2001, 09:17 AM

Check the inside of your drivers door and see when your car was manufactured. It was probably one of the first AE they got and it sat around the lot for months and nobody ever cleaned the wheels. I just purchased a set of AE wheels from someone and they looked perfect except for 1 little scratch. I clean them once every 3 days because high polished wheels like chrome need more attention than alloy. Take then the hell back and make them give you new ones. Once you have them, take care of them. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2001, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the advice! I just got the car back from Zeibart... had the windows tinted (3%) and "Sound Barrier" installed. The guy in thier service department used to work at the Nissan Dealer where I bought the car. He took a look at the rims and said that it is "rail dust", and that it has damaged the rims. He said that it is caused from sitting on the train awaiting delivery, and they are damaged. But check this out... He said that happens every now and then, and the dealer is reimbursed for the damage anyway. He said that the dealer had to have signed off on it and gotten paid in order to have accepted it the way it was. Hmmm... wonder if that is what happened. I am taking the car in Monday night to have them looked at. The general manager promised to have them fixed or replaced no matter what. Hope he makes good on it... I cant be ridin` around like a hoodlum!