5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Paint Match Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:17 PM

Paint Match Question

I've had some trouble in the past with rear bumper cover paint matching the rest of the car ... and I've noticed most Stillen body kits (except darker colors) along with mine are brigher than the rest of the paint, but i assume that has to do with the polyeurothane material...

I found a great article that explains the difficulty in matching, especially plastic bumper cover... http://www.autobodysupply.net/auto-p...olor-Match.htm

This part is most interesting...

"Most car manufacturers have three major paint suppliers. The manufacturer decides on a standard color for production and submits a painted sample to their suppliers. The paint manufacturer then produces a formula for the “standard sample” and is allowed a tolerance of plus or minus 5% when they deliver the paint.

This is the first problem because the plant in the east coast may be getting a 5% shade greener on a blue metallic standard and the plant in the west coast may be getting a 5% shade violet on the same blue metallic standard. When compared side by side, they look like a completely different color."

Does anybody know if there is a way with your VIN number or production date that you could figure out the percentage of green/violet etc in our paint (mine is sterling mist to be specific)? Just wondering if that was possible because it seems to be the only way to get a correct match because otherwise its a total guess without blending which is lots of money. Thanks guys.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

You will have two options..
1. Blend the paint
2. Paint the entire car

that's it.... nothing more , nothing else......
Old 11-03-2005, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
You will have two options..
1. Blend the paint
2. Paint the entire car

that's it.... nothing more , nothing else......
Like Lonar said, whenever painting ABS plastic parts, the best way to get a match is to blend the paint around the surrounding areas where it's installed. For example, getting the front bumper painted, blend the hood also. This will make the naked eye see as a matching color. Another factor is that it also depends on the color of the car, too. Some complex colors are hard to blend when re-painted, i.e. Pearl White or Icelandic!
Old 11-03-2005, 05:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Blending is the way to go. It is definately more expensive compared to getting individual pieces painted, but the results are going to be what youre looking for. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:54 AM

Paint the entire car a fluorescent pink. That will fix your paint matching problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Paint the entire car a fluorescent pink. That will fix your paint matching problem.

i WILL beat you if you ever come back into the great state of MA again
Old 11-03-2005, 02:05 PM

Even if you were to repaint the whole front clip, the front bumper would still appear a little different shade. It's because of the material being painted. It should not be a complete different shade, but there will probably be at least a little difference.