5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: VQ35DE ISSUES - Please place your poll
You have a VQ35DE and its burning oil
15.38%
You have a VQ35DE and its burning oil and making rattles between 1500-1800RPMS
12.63%
You have a VQ35DE and you have only rattling, no oil issues
15.14%
You have a VQ35DE and you have no issues with your motor.
56.85%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

POLL - If you have a VQ35DE please enter.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 5.5genmike
If your Maxima is burning oil, the valve cover gaskets are no good. I work at a dealership. It isn't a common problem, i've only seen it a couple of times, but the last time i saw it, the car couldn't be fixed. it was too far off.
well thats bull
the dealership replaced the gaskets AND COVERS on mine and that didnt do anything for the problem.

please dont make a blanket statement after dealing with a few engines at one dealership. its misinformation for all the people that will read that statement and believe it just because you work at a dealership.

my whole story - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=486215
the rings are bad.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by RR5
Just a question, would these issues being discussed have anything to do with the infamous "timing chain" rattle at 2k RPM?
the timing chain tensioner needs oil pressure to work...if the oil level is down, there isnt enough pressure for the tensioner to work properly. the chain rattles against the tensioner and cover.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by soonerfan
well thats bull
the dealership replaced the gaskets AND COVERS on mine and that didnt do anything for the problem.

please dont make a blanket statement after dealing with a few engines at one dealership. its misinformation for all the people that will read that statement and believe it just because you work at a dealership.

my whole story - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=486215
the rings are bad.
Did they actually verify that it was the rings? It could also be the valves or even head gasket. Too bad Corey's landlord tossed my blown 3.5 before we had a chance to open it up.

regardless, in about two months I'll probably sell my car to Redmax so that he (well, him, Addae, me and a few others) can tear it down and make it into a real show car. I'll probably be purchasing an Audi, Lexus IS250 or something else on the more sporty side now that I'm not in sales any longer. I'm done with Nissan after replacing my engine, my tranny, my EVAP system, my interior blower motor, my O2 sensor, my idler pulley assembly, my fog lights, my paint, my climate control ****, taking off my IM to change my rear plugs (something that should be easy to do...), my main cat, my pre-cats, my alternator... basically, the right front fender is original, but that's it!

you get the point. I'm glad I know what I'm doing with a car or else this thing would have been REALLY expensive. Next time I'll pay my money up front rather than take it in the rear down the road. Send THAT to Nissan, NA, Mike.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by GBAUER
Did they actually verify that it was the rings? It could also be the valves or even head gasket.
as stated in my thread, the engine failed a compression test which could be rings, valves, head, etc.
the engine then failed a cylinder leak down test on 3 cylinders. that is directly caused by something wrong with the rings
Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 PM
RR5

the timing chain tensioner needs oil pressure to work...if the oil level is down, there isnt enough pressure for the tensioner to work properly. the chain rattles against the tensioner and cover.
Thank you sonnerfan.

I will return to the dealership where I had them look into the "rattle at 2,000 RPM and was sent away with nothing done" and will show them this thread. I'll also be calling NNA and demand they look at my engine and get to the bottom of this.

So far, with 127,000 miles, I do not believe I have an oil burning issue. Then again, I am too lazy to check the level daily. I'll try to make a note to do this, but I'm going to start on NNA's door to fix this.

Timing chain rattle on a 3.5L v6 that feels as strong as this is just stupid.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Banned

as stated in my thread, the engine failed a compression test which could be rings, valves, head, etc.
the engine then failed a cylinder leak down test on 3 cylinders. that is directly caused by something wrong with the rings
Thanks for the cliffs.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:51 AM

116,000 miles on my VQ35DE and no problems still running like a champ.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
JUVIN's ride

I had the compression test done, and according to nissan, it passed. I am not sure what the range of numbers each cylinder should be. 5 cylnders read in the 182- 183 range and 1 cylinder read around 175. According to blackstone, I have heavy wear and it may be from that cylinder, but cant tell.

I did not see anything on a leak down test, maybe I shlould take it in and have that done.

I have the rattle and oil loss, and nissan cant seem to find a problem on either. I am running amsoil 5w 30 with their new oil and air filter. they are supposed to filter way better than anything out there. It may be all BS, or not. Whatever the case, it still burns.

WTF is wrong with nissan, they claim burning oil is normal.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:26 PM

My car has been burning oil for a while now, almost a quart a week. I did a compression check and 5 cylinders were 170 to 180 and the # 5 cylinder was at 135. The car smokes under hard acceleration or when compression braking.

I'm sure it's the rings.

I drive my car hard and have 102000 milis on it now, been burning oil since 60,000 and progressively getting worse
Old 03-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Loved by MrGone longtime

i thought i had fixed my problem earlier, but i just dropped my car at the dealership.

about 2k miles ago they replaced the PCV valve and valve cover gaskets. drove for about 500 miles and everything was fine.

now i am a quart low and the car is at the dealership so they can figure out what the problem is. i was told that the problem was identified before the 60k powertrain warranty was up, so i shouldn't have to pay for anything.

will post in here what happens with it.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM

After reading this thread, I checked the oil on my 03 (65K miles) and it was missing a little more than a quart. This is after about 6500 miles since my last oil change(using mobil clean 7500). The oil is probably being burnt as I do not see any leaks. Before this, I never checked the oil between changes because I changed it pretty regularly at about 4k miles. I do not like knowing I was driving around for however long being over a quart low. I will keep a close eye on it from now on. Also thinking about switching to mobil 1 extended performance next time for the extended interval.

I assume the "rattling" in this thread is referring to pinging. I get lots of it when on 87 octane. When I use 93 octane, the rattling goes away almost entirely. Does this mean I have a faulty knock sensor? I will see if it gets worse w/warmer temps. It sucks that I HAVE to use 93 to avoid rattling.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow this thread is still alive!!!

Its funny, after i smashed my maxima, i stopped by the dealership with my chrysler just to see whats up..

LOW AND BEHOLD!!! An altima V6 and two maximas (2k3 and 2k4) were in for the SAME damn problem - excessive oil burning!!

I was glad after 9 months of aggrevation Nissan replaced my motor under warranty.

I have had less issues with my Chrysler 300C than with my maxima, plus i drive my 300C 100X harder than my maxima!!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:03 AM

I have 69K on myne and I seem to have an oil issue. I seem to be loosing about a quart every 1000 miles, and I have no idea what I should do.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go back through this thread and see what others are doing/have done....

If you're under warranty close (over or under), get Nissan to do the oil changes with them noting how low the oil is,etc, take it back do it again when it starts to get low again and get them to do a compression/leakdown test,etc....

A few have been successful here and at the Altima forum but it won't be easy....

Jeremy
Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 AM

All you guys,

I will tell you that Nissan North America is aware of this problem and their only solution seems to be replacing motors.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Hello Mini, you just miss your Maxima and its great community

Back on topic, G forum has a large thread on this too, engines probably all came from the same factory...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by igzy
Hello Mini, you just miss your Maxima and its great community

Back on topic, G forum has a large thread on this too, engines probably all came from the same factory...

Of course i miss my maxima!! i did so my $hit to my maxima and hten 3 months later BOOM!! CRASHED IT!! i never even took it to the track but the car was running stronger than ever!!

This problem is not isolated to the maxima, its with the 350Z, Altima, Maxima, Murano, Path finder.. all oif them..

I see that its becoming even more frequent...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 PM
RR5

Nissan needs to make this right for all the Maxima owners.

The Maxima is a great vehicle. Got nice looks, tons of power and can be included in conversations about BMW etc. Then Nissan goes and forks it up by tossing in an engine with a bad heart.

ARGH
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by RR5
Nissan needs to make this right for all the Maxima owners.

The Maxima is a great vehicle. Got nice looks, tons of power and can be included in conversations about BMW etc. Then Nissan goes and forks it up by tossing in an engine with a bad heart.

ARGH
Dont fret, alot of nissan engines have been very problematic, look athte QR25

Even my dads M45 has KNOWN issues with the VK45DE V8.

I laugh at any Nissan owner making fun of my Chrysler Domestic piece of $hit. I had less problems in the 30,000kms i have on my 300C versus the 30,000kms i had on both my 2k2 and 2k3 maximas!!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
Of course i miss my maxima!! i did so my $hit to my maxima and hten 3 months later BOOM!! CRASHED IT!! i never even took it to the track but the car was running stronger than ever!!

This problem is not isolated to the maxima, its with the 350Z, Altima, Maxima, Murano, Path finder.. all oif them..

I see that its becoming even more frequent...
Aw, I know, yours was one of the nicest 5th gens I've seen. I like ma Maxima too. Unfortunately, this will be the last one I'll own. When time comes I'll be downsizing, i.e. cutting on fuel costs...

Most car co's have some kind of issue with engines, low k's or high k's no matter...
Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 PM

Hey I had a thought on the chain rattle. If the chain rattles because there's not enough oil pressure on the tensioner this should be an easy fix. Put a washer in the pump spring. I'm sure some of you guys know what I'm talking about you can up the pressure by adding a washer to the oil pump under the spring that controls pressure. Now I can't remember if this only adds to max pressure or all pressure. If it does all pressure than that should help the problem. If that doesn't increase all pressure does anybody make a high flow pump?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 PM

So I guess the problem is too widespread (among Nissan's various cars,SUVS,ett) to pin the problems to a certain range of VINS?

Perhaps a different parts supplier (doubt it) or something along those lines?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 02theMax
Here's a Vq torn down, interesting info.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143501
Hmm, cracked ring lands eh? On the old school cars I always used to see the ring lands as the first things to go when people allowed their cars to spark knock or detonate. I wonder if the people who are using cheaper gas and/or advanced ignition are experiencing more of the problems?
Old 04-26-2007, 04:18 PM

yeah i have a 3.5 with 78,000 on the clock and my SES light just came on. checked the code and it came up P0300 multiple clylinder misfire. Does this mean tune up/ service time?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by SE My 6sp
yeah i have a 3.5 with 78,000 on the clock and my SES light just came on. checked the code and it came up P0300 multiple clylinder misfire. Does this mean tune up/ service time?
you need to replace the sparkplugs and/or coils.

i changed all sparkplugs and a bad coil and the problem went away
Old 05-02-2007, 07:47 PM

start by pulling one rear plug, that way if you find oil in the well (cracked plastic valve cover) you can order the valve cover and do that as well while you have the IM off and not have to wait for parts while your IM is off
Old 05-05-2007, 05:13 PM

You can add me to the oil burners list as of my last oil change
Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
--+--

Well I'll hafta say this is scaring me quite a bit. I have an 02 with 89k (auto) and no oil issues, but I'm wanting to purchase a 6spd and it seems like a lot of them have these issues. Is it worth letting go my current car with the chance of getting a oil burner?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 02Maximan
Well I'll hafta say this is scaring me quite a bit. I have an 02 with 89k (auto) and no oil issues, but I'm wanting to purchase a 6spd and it seems like a lot of them have these issues. Is it worth letting go my current car with the chance of getting a oil burner?
I see no relation between the 6mts compared to the automatics when it comes to oil burning...engines are the same
Old 05-05-2007, 08:44 PM
--+--

Ok but I'm pretty sure its been stated that its more prevalent in MTs probably because they're driven harder than autos?? Dunno where I read that, somewhere in the threads tho. Anyway I know it has nothing to do with transmission type so I guess it kinda depends on how it was treated previously.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:56 PM

get the 6mt and ask for oil change records...you can always get a fairly good idea if the car was driven hard or abused
Old 05-06-2007, 12:21 AM

My car is a 6speed and has always had timely mainenance, but it has been driven pretty hard its whole life (97K on the clock).
Old 07-01-2007, 11:28 PM

Its so weird tho, i get rattle at 600rpm, when the oil is full, and the engine is warm. I dont know if its a low oil pressure issue.....or maybe the chain guide has somehow worn down?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:33 AM

UPDATE: I had overfilled a bit......so i got under this morning and drained it till it was a bit under the H. Now the rattles have been reduced greatly ......but i still do get it sometimes at idle......cold and warm?

anyone with an idea as to why?

Originally Posted by 2K2Beast
Its so weird tho, i get rattle at 600rpm, when the oil is full, and the engine is warm. I dont know if its a low oil pressure issue.....or maybe the chain guide has somehow worn down?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by 2K2Beast
UPDATE: I had overfilled a bit......so i got under this morning and drained it till it was a bit under the H. Now the rattles have been reduced greatly ......but i still do get it sometimes at idle......cold and warm?

anyone with an idea as to why?
How many miles are on the Maxima and what octane gas do you use?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:39 AM

How are you guys getting an accurate reading on the POS dipstick?

Are you draining and measuring the oil? Or just relying on the dipstick?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:48 AM

im relying on the dipstick...how can it be wrong?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:54 PM

I've never had a 4th or now, a 5th gen, have an accurate reading on the dipstick. On each pull it registers different.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 PM

mine seems pretty accurate...If i pull it out a few times in a row I will get the same reading. Sometimes on different days I get different readings though...im guessing it has to be weather related
Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM

that does seem weird

Quick Reply: POLL - If you have a VQ35DE please enter.