5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I NEED HEADLIGHTS (HID, HALOS, OR WHAT?) for my 00

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:31 PM

I NEED HEADLIGHTS (HID, HALOS, OR WHAT?) for my 00

What are the best replacement headlights for an OO max. I like the halos yet there sorta korny and i sorta want HID if i can find a Deal
Old 11-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by BLAKZIMA
What are the best replacement headlights for an OO max. I like the halos yet there sorta korny and i sorta want HID if i can find a Deal
well you cant have the "kormy" halos unless you have HIDs or projectors. and halos arent headlights. they are rings around your real headlights.
just get better bulbs for your stock headlights. something like sylvania silverstars create a whiter and brighter light
Old 11-13-2005, 04:45 PM
scopium

since you have black maxima.. get the AE headlights.. and a some nice H.I.D kit.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
well you cant have the "kormy" halos unless you have HIDs or projectors. and halos arent headlights. they are rings around your real headlights.
just get better bulbs for your stock headlights. something like sylvania silverstars create a whiter and brighter light

I was talking about the freakin aftermarket headlights with halos on ebay. WTF mister technical
Old 11-13-2005, 04:54 PM
SWIFT_Navigator

hid all the way
Old 11-13-2005, 04:56 PM

What is a good HID kit or upgrade for the max
Old 11-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

look in the group deal section.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:41 PM

its about $250+ for a HID kit
dont buy the cheap projectors from ebay - they suck
people will say the best thing to do is buy 2k2-2k3 headlights - they are expensive.

thats all the info you need.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by merovi
people will say the best thing to do is buy 2k2-2k3 headlights - they are expensive.

where can u fine the HID kit

Group Deal???
Old 11-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Cletus

I was talking about the freakin aftermarket headlights with halos on ebay. WTF mister technical
those would be projectors...and the light output sucks

and do a little research
Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 AM
SWIFT_Navigator

agreed.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by scopium
since you have black maxima.. get the AE headlights.. and a some nice H.I.D kit.

no such thing as a "nice H.l.D kit"..... sorry to ruin the mood
Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 AM

I disagree.. i don't think that EVERYONE will say that the best thing to do is to buy 2k2 lights.. After a lot of research about lighting.. i found that technically speaking, the best lighting possible comes from a projector setup.. although the ones sold on ebay are quite ****ty... so I did what many others have done.. and with the help of Dr. Roy retrofitted OEM Bosch (BMW 3series) projectors into the housings.. and converted to HID.. all this was done for a little less than it would have costs me to buy 2k2 lights.. and my output, cuttoff, and color.. will blow any 2k2/2k3 out of the water.
Although this route is a bit time consuming (about half a day for the inexperienced).. it's well worth it.

here's an older discussion about this http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....93#post3978693
Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 AM

as you can see, everybody clearly has their own opinion. You will get increase visibility with aftermarket headlight bulbs as some have mentioned, but if you want to change the look of your entire headlight housing, then you can get the projector/halo setup on Ebay or the 02-03 housings which are very expensive as previously mentioned. Personally I don't care about projectors in the Ebay version bc I think those headlights look like they belong in Toys R Us and I would never put them on my car for visual reasons alone. I bought a 6000k Helios HID kit for my Maxima in the Group deal section and I can see about two to three times better than I could see with any halogen aftermarket bulb. I don't care what people say about any issues with them..I have never had any issue with glare, nobody has flashed me even once with them in months, the light output pattern is just fine unless you're one of those people who want to get out and use a ruler to show all the people how cool your straight cutoff line is when you can see perfectly fine either way.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 AM

you can get the 5.5 headlights and throw those in your car and have decent hid output (pretty poor for OE xenon headlights IMO). i went this route because it looks better than any headlights available.

if you like the ebay projectors and are aware that the light output sucks (very little ppl on the org leave the halogen projectors anyways, and go to retro route), then this would be inexpensive (unless you retrofit). seems like you want something flashy? i.e "halo, hid,...". i would do a retro, but i still wouldn't put those ebay headlights on my car, but that's just me.

ebay projectors/retro > 2k2 headlights > 2k1/HID > ebay projectors/halogen
Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Insert Randome Name
2k2-2k3 are the best, cheap projectors suck0rz
My "cheap projectors" have better output than any 2002-2003 will ever have. Your welcome to come judge yourself.

Anyway, I wouldn't just drop a HID kit into a halogen housing. It looks like **** to the other drivers. You will blind them and it will create hot spots in the cutoff.

For retrofit... And yes, there is no such thing as a good HID kit.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Z

The projectors look absolutely ugly, which is a knock against them. Meanwhile the 2002/03 HIDs look downright gorgeous, but their light output isn't terrific. In fact, now that I have the HIDs installed, the distance in light isn't a dramatic increase over the halogens. The biggest difference is that the light on the floor about 20 feet directly in front of me is just a lot more "solid" looking. The beam pattern isn't very wide, and that sucks.

But they do a decent job and they look incredible on the car. The 2002/03 HIDs use a round reflector in the housing, greatly reducing the spread of the beam. The G35s use a mirrored reflector setup which improves beam spread, but not by much. Projectors are the way to go, but on the 5th gens, when you install them over the 2002/03 HIDs, you sacrifice looks.

I've been through all three, and have finally settled on 2002/03 HIDs. Plus you can toss DDEs and the car looks like a monster.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Plyfender
I disagree.. i don't think that EVERYONE will say that the best thing to do is to buy 2k2 lights.. After a lot of research about lighting.. i found that technically speaking, the best lighting possible comes from a projector setup.. although the ones sold on ebay are quite ****ty... so I did what many others have done.. and with the help of Dr. Roy retrofitted OEM Bosch (BMW 3series) projectors into the housings.. and converted to HID.. all this was done for a little less than it would have costs me to buy 2k2 lights.. and my output, cuttoff, and color.. will blow any 2k2/2k3 out of the water.
Although this route is a bit time consuming (about half a day for the inexperienced).. it's well worth it.

here's an older discussion about this http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....93#post3978693
yeah correct me if im wrong but dont you have to spend an extra $90 bucks to do the retrofit?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by SixxOne
My "cheap projectors" have better output than any 2002-2003 will ever have. Your welcome to come judge yourself.

Anyway, I wouldn't just drop a HID kit into a halogen housing. It looks like **** to the other drivers. You will blind them and it will create hot spots in the cutoff.

For retrofit... And yes, there is no such thing as a good HID kit.
Once again...I bought a 6000k HID kit for my Maxima in the Group deal section and I can see about two to three times better than I could see with any halogen aftermarket bulb and I believe it's equal if not a bit better visibility over the stock 5.5 Gen HIDs that I've compared with. I don't care what people say about any issues with them..I have never had any issue with glare, nobody has flashed me even once with them in months, the light output pattern is just fine unless you're one of those people who want to get out and use a ruler to show all the people how cool your straight cutoff line is when you can see perfectly fine either way. There's a difference between being able to see at night (the point of headlights) and being ridiculous about how straight a cutoff line is where the visibility is virtually the same in both cases no matter what anybody says
Old 11-14-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kruppa
Once again...I bought a 6000k HID kit for my Maxima in the Group deal section and I can see about two to three times better than I could see with any halogen aftermarket bulb and I believe it's equal if not a bit better visibility over the stock 5.5 Gen HIDs that I've compared with. I don't care what people say about any issues with them..I have never had any issue with glare, nobody has flashed me even once with them in months, the light output pattern is just fine unless you're one of those people who want to get out and use a ruler to show all the people how cool your straight cutoff line is when you can see perfectly fine either way. There's a difference between being able to see at night (the point of headlights) and being ridiculous about how straight a cutoff line is where the visibility is virtually the same in both cases no matter what anybody says
obviously you don't realize the point of sharp cutoff.... Cutoff is not something that helps the driver see farther or better.. Good cutoff means less glare for on-coming drivers.. end of story. If you're wanting to be courteous to other drivers.. then cutoff should be important to anyone.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Plyfender
obviously you don't realize the point of sharp cutoff.... Cutoff is not something that helps the driver see farther or better.. Good cutoff means less glare for on-coming drivers.. end of story. If you're wanting to be courteous to other drivers.. then cutoff should be important to anyone.
I think most people don't particularly care about that as much as being able to see at night while keeping good looks and not spending a fortune, and if you do then you can still get an aftermarket HID kit in the stock 5th gen housing and be fine because the glare isn't bad at least not in my case. I didn't even touch my height adjustment after I put mine in. I've had them for almost 3 months and drive at night all the time. I've passed tons of police and obviously other drivers and I haven't been flashed once. I drive my fathers BMW with stock HIDs and I get flashed in that about once out of three times i drive it and that has the most perfect cutoff I've ever seen for an HID setup so that says something
Old 11-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

02-03 headlights with DDEs or AE hid lights with an HID kit for a black max...those are the ones had chose from.
+1 for 02-03 HIDs with DDEs.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Z

I would actually argue that there may be a slightly better spread of light via 00/01 reflector, because it's a mirrored reflector that is designed to spread a lot more light than standard halogen based housings. Our 5th gens have some great reflectors in them -- FAR better than most other cars out there.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by myself

Here is a picture of an "HID Kit" in halogen housing and a picture of a retro. You can be the judge.

Here is more hot spots and glare:

Here you go.....

If you want to prove me wrong, get some pictures of your HID KIT on a wall from 3-4 feet, 15-20 feet and one from like 35+ feet. And I will snap some pictures of some real OEM style HIDs.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:36 PM

That's not my point and we've all seen those pictures a million times. My point is that i only spent $265 and i can see just as well as you can with your stock 02 or ugly projector headlights...once again congrats on getting a ruler straight cutoff line it looks cool and all but i can still see just as far and wide as you can. i've never been flashed or had any trouble with cops even once even compared to stock HIDs which sometimes get flashed so glare etc doesn't come into play in my situation.

The whole point is visibility and in neither case is it blinding to oncoming traffic so I don't see the difference between the two except for people such as yourself who desire a straight cutoff line which in my opinion, or i guess for my desire (to see just as well as you guys with stock HIDs) isn't necessary at all bc I know for a fact from comparisons in person that I can see just as well as those with stock HIDs
Old 11-14-2005, 03:41 PM

id vote for the stock 02-03 housings, ive done my share of retrofitting, no more for me.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:43 PM

who cares if you blind anyone else with HIDS, its not me...you guys suck..kruppas the man
Old 11-14-2005, 03:50 PM

...but i can still see just as far and wide as you can...
Doubt it... Do I need to redirect you, once again, to hidplanet forums? That is just like people saying they got 1000hp from adding an injen intake to their car. It has already been said that the projectors are the brightest and best beam pattern. THE END

The Facts:
halogen (2000-2001) < HID Kit in halogen headlight (2000-2001) < Reflective HIDS (2002-2003) < Projectors (2004+ and retrofit headlights)

Yes the 2002-2003 look nicer and have CCFLs, but I like projectors. I really couldn't see myself chopping up 2002-2003 headlights to put projectors ($$$). As far as halogens with HIDs, I think it is too ricey. Then again people think my projectors look ricey. Thats an opinion. But above are the facts.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Doubt it...

10char
If you really think there is a difference (which I don't think there is from 5.5 stock HIDs and retrofits that I've seen) it would be so minimal that it's negligible...and since you have a 00 I assume you have the projectors which I'm sorry are fugly and the stock 00 are much better looking. But in case you have the 5.5 Gen HIDs then yes they look amazing, but I couldn't justify spending the money on them and I can see just as well anyways.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:05 PM
The Visionary...

For the Ebay lights...Can't you just buy that and use the housing and change the lights and keep the housing? and wouldent that be alot cheaper?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:05 PM

EDIT: See above....

here you go:

HID Planet Forums: hidplanet.com/forums

You can post your videos and pictures over there and see what everyone says. Also, could humor me and snap those other photos I requested. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:15 PM

EDIT: See above....

here you go:

HID Planet Forums: hidplanet.com/forums

You can post your videos and pictures over there and see what everyone says. Also, could humor me and snap those other photos I requested. Thanks!

You can come here and I'll be more than happy to let you take pictures of a cutoff against a wall which means virtually nothing because visibility can still be just as good. You can even take your ruler out and be happy that it's not a straight line if you want. Taking a video or pictures to a place like that where you are clearly a fan is like taking a 50 Cent CD to a KKK meeting because the people are already so set in their ways that there's not even a point to explain your case. Bottom line which is absolutely impossible to refute is that I can see just as well, and if you insist there is absolutely a difference then it is so slight that the fugly rice projectors and high cost of stock HIDs make up for it. Next time i'm home for a break i can even make a video similar to the one I made with my HIDs to prove to you that the visibility with the HID kit in the 5th gen housing is just as good as the 02-03 stock HIDs, and if anybody with a retrofitted projector setup wants to stop by then they are more than welcome to see any/all differences

The reason this thread and many others were started was to give the best (cheapest usually) way to be able to see better at night and look good doing it.

Bottom line...if you want to see at night and aren't totally obesessed with your cutoff line being straight and don't want to spend the money on stock HIDs then get an aftermarket HID kit and see great while still keeping the nice stock housing.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:53 PM

HID kit is the best bet but i saw ppl put in 02-03 headlight which are getting cheaper on ebay by the day... those aftermarket projectors dont look that bad either
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 PM

You can come here and I'll be more than happy to let you take pictures of a cutoff against a wall which means virtually nothing because visibility can still be just as good. You can even take your ruler out and be happy that it's not a straight line if you want. Taking a video or pictures to a place like that where you are clearly a fan is like taking a 50 Cent CD to a KKK meeting because the people are already so set in their ways that there's not even a point to explain your case. Bottom line which is absolutely impossible to refute is that I can see just as well, and if you insist there is absolutely a difference then it is so slight that the fugly rice projectors and high cost of stock HIDs make up for it. Next time i'm home for a break i can even make a video similar to the one I made with my HIDs to prove to you that the visibility with the HID kit in the 5th gen housing is just as good as the 02-03 stock HIDs, and if anybody with a retrofitted projector setup wants to stop by then they are more than welcome to see any/all differences

The reason this thread and many others were started was to give the best (cheapest usually) way to be able to see better at night and look good doing it.

Bottom line...if you want to see at night and aren't totally obesessed with your cutoff line being straight and don't want to spend the money on stock HIDs then get an aftermarket HID kit and see great while still keeping the nice stock housing.
Im on a plane now...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:28 PM

Im on a plane now...
T.F. Green or Logan? I'll pick you up.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 PM
The Visionary...

For the Ebay lights...Can't you just buy that and use the housing and change the lights and keep the housing? and wouldent that be alot cheaper?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:29 PM

Sylvani Silverstar Head/fog light.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:40 AM

yeah i have those bulbs but their just not that great and i had someone drive my car and they just looked like normal halogen bulbs going down the road pretty much
Old 11-15-2005, 11:44 AM

you sound like you need to start doing a little research before you post...this is one of the most active topics for posting and there is enough content to keep you reading for days. and if you don't have search priveledges then go to google and type in the key words that you are looking for i.e. "halogens v. h.i.d.'s" or whatever followed by "site:forums.maxima.org" all without quotation marks. Doing research will tell you how to do this too. Not being a D*CK but reposting = BANNED. Get it. Late.

Group Deals is located in the main page under the first heirarchy.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:35 PM
SWIFT_Navigator

Originally Posted by makdaddy386
you sound like you need to start doing a little research before you post...this is one of the most active topics for posting and there is enough content to keep you reading for days. and if you don't have search priveledges then go to google and type in the key words that you are looking for i.e. "halogens v. h.i.d.'s" or whatever followed by "site:forums.maxima.org" all without quotation marks. Doing research will tell you how to do this too. Not being a D*CK but reposting = BANNED. Get it. Late.

Group Deals is located in the main page under the first heirarchy.
agreed.. when i got my max and joined i didnt know much about 2000 stock light to 2k2 conversion or any of that stuff.. theres literally 15+ recent threads on HID and other light topics, dont be lazy and search. but yea on a side note i have those silverstars in my high beams. and yes its such a tragedy that my fogs dont shut off when my high beams are on.. jus kidding but with low, high, fogs, and ddes on it just looks rediculous. not that i ever turn on more than fogs and lows/ddes..

Quick Reply: I NEED HEADLIGHTS (HID, HALOS, OR WHAT?) for my 00