5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

After Market Fog Lights Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 07:01 AM

After Market Fog Lights Install

Unfortunately, my Max did not come with Fog Lights. So I was wondering how difficult is it to install a set of Fog lights where there were none before? What's involved? Any step-by-step instructions (with pics)? Is there a Fog Light Kit that you would recommended? Is the kit available North of the border (Canada - Toronto area)?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

go to www.courtesyparts.com and search fo rthe OEM kit. I think it is like $169.00... and includes everything.. or call DaveB in texas 1-888-254-6060 and he will hook you up...
Old 11-25-2005, 08:29 AM

Thanks, it looks real simple...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OEM definetly will look the best in my opinion and they are pretty straight forward as far as installing goes, check the signiature on fog bulb swap to see how. upgrading the bulbs is gonna be real easy if you already have the housings out too...might wanna consider doing this. OEM > APC (or substitute brand of choice) on maxs. there is a lot about fogs on the .org too, so do some searching!

---Kevin
Old 11-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Thanks, Kevin, I did do some searching before posting, but could not find info on a installation when you don't have existing Fog Lights. Now that I've looked up the www.courtesyparts.com, I see that with OEM parts, its quite simple. Thanks for the tip on APC. What's the upgrade on the bulbs? I'll search on this too, but what's your opinion: Brighter? Last longer? More robust? How are they better?

Originally Posted by makdaddy386
OEM definetly will look the best in my opinion and they are pretty straight forward as far as installing goes, check the signiature on fog bulb swap to see how. upgrading the bulbs is gonna be real easy if you already have the housings out too...might wanna consider doing this. OEM > APC (or substitute brand of choice) on maxs. there is a lot about fogs on the .org too, so do some searching!

---Kevin
Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Mark2
Thanks, Kevin, I did do some searching before posting, but could not find info on a installation when you don't have existing Fog Lights. Now that I've looked up the www.courtesyparts.com, I see that with OEM parts, its quite simple. Thanks for the tip on APC. What's the upgrade on the bulbs? I'll search on this too, but what's your opinion: Brighter? Last longer? More robust? How are they better?
i think it may be since i use my headlights (HID) but my fogs don't do LICK. i feel they provide little to no strength at all and are there for simply looks.

anywho, since yours did not come with fogs, then your best bang for the buck would be going with OEM. you get a number of things, the housings, the fog relay which yours wo0uld be missing. the relay would go on the left side of the car, looking at the engine bay. and lastly, the stalk on your steering wheel does not contain the switch to turn the fogs on/off. you get a new one that you can replace yourself and it comes with the switch. now, if you had said you had no fogs but had everything else, i would have said see waht you can do as far as getting aftermarket, but in this case, i say go the OEM way and get the complete package.

i will forewarn you though, they have a tendency to crack, so i only hope they last long for you. i'm on my 4th set of fogs and just gave up. they're cracked, and they're staying cracked. i could really care less. also, i have HID's so the fogs really are more of an aesthetic thing.

good luck.

edit: as mentioned above, call DaveB at southpoint nissan, but ask for his full name, DAVE BURNETTE. reason being, there are 2 daves in the parts department and both last names begin with B so if you ask for dave B, they'll ask "which one".
Old 11-25-2005, 10:42 AM

PoLo: I think the OEM Kit is the way for me... I need all the other components - relay, switch, housings etc... I would like to fink a local dealer to pick it up.

But what of the stock bulbs? Where can I get the HID?, APC? (in Toronto) Is there any mods to support the HID? I did a search on APC and many don't like them... Also, I don't like the yellow look... it looks too much like its rusting... quite common up here in the North.

So what's causing your Fog Lights to break? Snow & ice? or Stones? Vibration?

Thanks PoLo for your reply...
Old 11-25-2005, 10:53 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Mark2
PoLo: I think the OEM Kit is the way for me... I need all the other components - relay, switch, housings etc... I would like to fink a local dealer to pick it up.

But what of the stock bulbs? Where can I get the HID?, APC? (in Toronto) Is there any mods to support the HID? I did a search on APC and many don't like them... Also, I don't like the yellow look... it looks too much like its rusting... quite common up here in the North.

So what's causing your Fog Lights to break? Snow & ice? or Stones? Vibration?

Thanks PoLo for your reply...
what i meant to say is that since i have HID's in my headlights, the fogs provide little to no strength.

if you are really trying to illuminate the front of your car, i would suggest possibly looking at investing into HID's for your headlights instead. if you still want fogs, but those and just keep the OEM bulbs. that's what i would do. now, if you want to get aftermarket bulbs, i personally like the whole JDM yellow look, so i would only suggest OEM or yellow. and the yellow is hardly ever really yellow.

go to the group deals section. there is someone there selling a plug and play HID kit. for $265, you will get more vision than you even imagined. no one really realizes how strong it is until they sit in a car. my boy has a 99 durango and when he got in my car, he was shocked at how huge a difference HID made.

IMO, HID in the headlights would be a much wiser investment.
What caused my fogs to crack. some say it's the heat. but others have OEM bulbs and it still cracked. i think the glass is week. i noticed it a long time ago and mentioned it to DaveB. he did not agree with me, but a year later, me and him were talking and he finally agreed with me and said "you're right, a lot more people are coming to me ordering fog housings again and again"
Old 11-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah the stock fogs in the 02-03 maxima are useless. I bearly notice my fogs are on most of the time!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

there is many routes you can go with fogs. you can replace the bulbs like in my writeup, which in that case you just need to buy H3 bulbs. Mine are PIAA 5000k's and I love them. Extremely clean output and I can definetly tell when they are on. They ran me about 50 bucks. Also you can get HID's and retrofit your fogs like many fellow .orgers are doing. Going this route will cost around 300 bones but they say that you can use your fogs for headlights the output is so good. The road you choose is obviously up to you, but you may want to search through some more posts/writeups before making a decision. IMO OEM is the best route with PIAA replacement's. I dont care what anyone says, output is awesome and they are warrantied. Im happy.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:31 AM

I'm going with the OEM... Once installed, I'll see what they look like and how long they last. If they don't last the winter, I'll take them out. I've driven the car now for close to 6 years without. It'll just cost me a few hundred to find out.

Thanks again Kevin...

Originally Posted by makdaddy386
there is many routes you can go with fogs. you can replace the bulbs like in my writeup, which in that case you just need to buy H3 bulbs. Mine are PIAA 5000k's and I love them. Extremely clean output and I can definetly tell when they are on. They ran me about 50 bucks. Also you can get HID's and retrofit your fogs like many fellow .orgers are doing. Going this route will cost around 300 bones but they say that you can use your fogs for headlights the output is so good. The road you choose is obviously up to you, but you may want to search through some more posts/writeups before making a decision. IMO OEM is the best route with PIAA replacement's. I dont care what anyone says, output is awesome and they are warrantied. Im happy.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:05 PM

Hey, what about the yellow capsules over the stock buld. Where do you find those ?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Stock fogs break continuously. I got sick of replacing them every 6 months at 90 bucks each. Get an aftermarket kit from any autoparts store. It should set you back 40-60 bones at most and will contain the relay, mounting harware and all the other stuff you need. The best part is that they last longer and if they break, spend another 40-60 and get two new ones. See my website if you want to see what mine look like.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:01 PM

I'm getting the OEM fogs as a x-mas gift. I can't wait. I also like the yellow JDM look but i really dont see myself drilling into my fog housing, and neither does the party spending the money to get them for me. I went with the luminics JDM yellow bulbs. I have seen pics of them on some mazda websites and they look very nice.