5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Its not officially a name yet... i'm still working on it

Boss Chen standard
8kg front and 6kg rear (luckily Importrp has eibach coilovers springs for ppl that want to upgrade later on)
32 way adjustable Oil filled dampeners
My manufacturer doesn't make odd numbered spring rates, but the dampeners work so well that performance oriented individuals should go with (1) 9kg front and 6kg rear or (2) 10kg front and 7kg rear
Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Larrio
Its not officially a name yet... i'm still working on it

Boss Chen standard
8kg front and 6kg rear (generic springs but I plan to tell owners to purchase the eibach coilover springs from Importrp if they want something different)
32 way adjustable Oil filled dampeners
My manufacturer doesn't make odd numbered spring rates, but the dampeners work so well that performance oriented individuals should go with (1) 9kg front and 6kg rear or (2) 10kg front and 7kg rear

Will the eibach springs fit D2's?? I know D2 makes softer springs, but I like to know if I have a choice.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:23 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Eibach makes a WIDE range. All you have to worry about is the inner diameter. I believe most of our coilover springs are 2.5 inch in diameter

The the numbers are easy to figure out:
0700.250.0500 (example)
7 inch spring, 2.5 inch diameter, 500 lb (roughly 9kg)

To figure out kg to lb difference:
metric rating - 1mm down travel per 9kg of weight
standard rating - 1 inch down travel per 500 lb weight

just take 9kg multiply by 25.4 (mm to inch) and then by 2.2 (kg to lbs)
9 x 25.4 = 228.6
228.6 x 2.2 = 502.92 lb/inch
Old 01-11-2006, 08:37 PM

Thaks for the info, I will have to check it out.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
does anyone know the different spring rates associated with all these coilovers. i believe ur a2s are stiffer than my a1s and that the teins were softer. and the d2s being softer still

i was thinking i was 9k up front and a weak 6k in the rears

since this is a sticky perhaps we all could add and build a database of the different spring rates as well as the amount of adjustability, damping as well as height. basiclly cover all things coilovers.
for jic (bothe A1 and A2) are 506lb/in front 337lb/in rear. the only difference between the 1 and 2 series is that the A1s are a twintube shok and A2s are monotube, and the upper pillowball assembly is different. i think u can get different rates however if u special order.

You can get away with higher spring rates if you have good dampeners like JIC or Teins. Other companies use generic dampeners that are not as smooth in rebound
are you saying the jic shoks are good quality, i sure hope so but kind of doubt it considering everyone (except me so far) had to replace at least one dampner in only about 15k miles, comapre that to 60-90k life of regular shoks.

one more thing...i didnt swap mine for the winter (hope they dont blow) but they dont feel too bad even at bout 20 deg. F, hasnt got colder in NY this year yet but guess will see.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:34 PM

my a1s been perfect for almost 2 years even with winter driving. and im not that nice to them.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:13 PM

one more question, since the shoks are known for thier short life span, would keeping them set to a stiffer setting extend life span?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:52 AM

which ones?

I just got a 2000 max 5spd and i was wondering what coilovers to get. I never race and i really dont even drive fast so i was wondering do i really need to spend like 1k??? are there cheaper alternatives for someone who just wants to have adjustable lowerability and not racing springs??
Thank You and pardon my NOOBNESS!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by super6
one more question, since the shoks are known for thier short life span, would keeping them set to a stiffer setting extend life span?

Last I heard no, it can shorten the life span of the strut from what a vendor told me.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:45 PM

shozo, i guess the best thing to find out is why u wnat them, all of them are capable of puttin u lower than ull ever want, yes there is a "too" low. ride quality, adjustment theres a lot to concider. i got my jic a1s due to the fact that they can ride really soft and i dont need 50billion points of adjustment. i love having 5 different settings its easy to tune and each level is differnt so i still have a wide range of settings imo.

i know the d2s/k-sports offer 36 points of adjustment, thats too much for me, and theyre like $600ish, id rather a better known name, and i love JIC as a company. thats how i ended up wth my a1s, hope that helps
Old 02-09-2006, 01:10 PM

thanks man, ill look into those.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:45 PM
The Definitive AE Master

The dampener life may be somewhat related to the high rates that the coilovers are subject to (vs. normal spring/strut combos).

This was the reason why I opted for oil filled dampeners instead of pressurized gas ones. I also specified a larger diamater dampener rod for the front to improve the lateral suspension movement. The result is a ride quality that is smoother and somewhat softer (might be a tad too soft for some) - no po-go stick ride quality. So far a combined total of 75k miles over 4 vehicles and no problems.... yet
Old 02-09-2006, 01:47 PM

The dampener life may be somewhat related to the high rates that the coilovers are subject to (vs. normal spring/strut combos).

This was the reason why I opted for oil filled dampeners instead of pressurized gas ones. I also specified a larger diamater dampener rod for the front to improve the lateral suspension movement. The result is a ride quality that is smoother and somewhat softer (might be a tad too soft for some) - no po-go stick ride quality. So far a combined total of 75k miles over 4 vehicles and no problems.... yet

You can always send me a free set and see what I can do to them.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by upstatemax
You can always send me a free set and see what I can do to them.
I'll give them to you for free, lets see how much I charge you for shipping.

If you auto-x'ed or road raced heavily there would be a consideration to discount the item for sponsorship. Otherwise we have to keep the market fair
Old 02-09-2006, 02:12 PM

I'll give them to you for free, lets see how much I charge you for shipping.

I will use my old corporate shipping account

I bet they would love to see that shipping charge!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Drug Money

Brand of coilovers: K Sport

Miles i've been running on them: 150

How much you paid: 799

Any run-ins you had with installation: hard to put in with 1 person and i lost 2 of my rear strut nuts in the ghey black plate thing in the trunk.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: slammed = rubbing

Positive change you noticed the most: handle on RAILS! (more PSI needed)
Old 02-28-2006, 07:34 PM

Brand of coilovers: JIC flt-A1

Miles i've been running on them: 20 k or so

How much you paid: $950 used

Any run-ins you had with installation: Had to use 2 jacks(1 to lift car up then one to lift up rotor so that the holes would line up...these things are SHORT)...took awhile getting it to sit perfect

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: rides great, but since im tucking 20's i get a little rubbing. BUT it looks amazing...

Positive change you noticed the most: great look...nice ride...sits nicely over the tires to give a nice tucked look while moving...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM

Any one have any camber/caster/toe problems that they needed an aftermarket kit?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by XyNoix-HIC
Any one have any camber/caster/toe problems that they needed an aftermarket kit?

Not sure, but Kev sold me a camber kit when I bought my Tein SS coilovers.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi everyone, first post here, love maximas o' course. Mine is an '02 GLE trim level with the OEM 17" 7 spoke wheels.

1 week ago today I had a set of TEIN super street coilovers installed by Auto Addictions located in PA (without the EDFC).

First off let me say I wanted to go with the drop TEIN lists on their site which is 2.28" front 1.65" rear. The mechanic said I probably wouldn't be happy with this once the springs settled and I would probably would have to come back to have it raised so I went on his judgement. Well the job came out fantastic (I also had a stillen RSB and FSB installed).

The TEINs ride a lot nicer than the stock struts & springs. I had the stock suspension stripped for the OEM parts since I didn't feel like buying the pieces from a dealer.

I went with TEIN based on a recommendation from a friend and I'm glad I did. These coilovers are worth every penny. The only complaint I have (which is aesthetic) is that you really can't see the coilovers through the rims. Other than that I really recommend TEIN to anyone looking for a coilover setup.

[edit]

Needed camber kit the front.

$1100 for the kit.

About 500 miles on them so far.

-pistol pete
Old 03-17-2006, 10:24 AM

since i have jic's and they have no incar controller im looking into getting asoemthign along the lines of one of these

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/TEAS.asp

altho a far less $$$ model, im assuming anything tanabe is gonna be out of my range.

and adapting it to my uses. all im trying to do is be able to go thru my 5levels of adjustment from in the car, thats it, i dont care about the active suspension part. anyone ever mix-n-match like that. all i have to do is get a controller that has 5steps and convert the adjustment **** to fit into the hole on the top of my struts. seems simple enough.

any thoughts. and yes i know u tein guys aready have this, think ur all cool with ur ready made in car adjustment.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 AM

if you have a factory warranty, will installing D2 coliovers void warranty. Im in toronto
Old 03-30-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by seshead
if you have a factory warranty, will installing D2 coliovers void warranty. Im in toronto

It can void the warranty on anything connected to the suspension, other parts with no connection to the suspension should still be covered.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:44 AM

thanks for the info upstatemax!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:56 PM

I have tein s springs and want to go lower, mostly in the front.
I don't have anywhere to work on the car. So I am curious to know if I should just stick with the springs.( I mean if they break alot)
I have an hour ride to work and an hour ride back.
I want to get coilovers but not sure if it's a good idea/
What do you coilover owners think?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jonlawrence
I have tein s springs and want to go lower, mostly in the front.
I don't have anywhere to work on the car. So I am curious to know if I should just stick with the springs.( I mean if they break alot)
I have an hour ride to work and an hour ride back.
I want to get coilovers but not sure if it's a good idea/
What do you coilover owners think?
as a previous coilover owner id advise against it. s techs are low as is dont know why ud wanna go lower. our cars dont looks good when slammed this is not a 70s cadilac. besides at over 1.6-2 in of a drop ur performance is actually worse. stick with ur s techs.....or buy my coilovers and adjust them as often as u want...only $600
Old 04-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Hey thanks for the info! So you took them out because they were to ruff?
Or ratteled?
BTW do you have a pic of your car lowered with the JIC's?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by jonlawrence
Hey thanks for the info! So you took them out because they were to ruff?
Or ratteled?
BTW do you have a pic of your car lowered with the JIC's?
i never really dropped it maybe like 1.5F 1.0R so dont nhave pics. they were a bit rough especially on NY roads, if there would be nice roads id, probly keep them. did make some noise as all COs will, i do have to say the handeling was nothing less than amazing.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:37 PM

yeah I live in MA and the roads are kinda bad here too.
I really like the ride height of my car, just about another half inch in the back abd 1.5 in the front lower would be nice.
I heard that Tein S springs and K-sport coilovers are around the same when it comes to hitting bumps, can anyone tell me this is true?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:52 AM

So Tein SS would be the way to go? The roads in RI are very bad. I want some suspension but i do not want a bouncy ride like i had in my acura CL. I Have 18's for it already so i am really going to need the drop. What shoudl i do. I am a newb about Maxima's and Nissan's pretty much. Help guys
Old 06-13-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by MWilds 01 20th
So Tein SS would be the way to go? The roads in RI are very bad. I want some suspension but i do not want a bouncy ride like i had in my acura CL. I Have 18's for it already so i am really going to need the drop. What shoudl i do. I am a newb about Maxima's and Nissan's pretty much. Help guys
if ur defenatly settled on coilovers, then yea, teins are the best, but id recoment a illuminas and your choice of springs combo.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:05 PM

I had Illuminas in my Acura CL and i kept Blowing rears. I will never go with them again. I want a full Coilover System. No sleved coils no pieced together suspensions.

On another note. I am new to the site previouly i was at Acurazine.com. (shavedh22cl) I was going to introduce my self but for some reason i can not make a new thread. can someone help?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Driving is the next best thing

I ordered Boss Chens. They seem to have a solid design, offer good ride and, unlike TEIN SS, height can be adjusted independently from spring preload. The only drawback I see is that it takes kinda long to get them, since it's a fairly new product.

take a look at this: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=461186 (I recommend reading all 4 pages lol)
Old 06-14-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by trigger005
OFF TOPIC:
read the stickies
u need 15 posts before being allowed to start new thread - forum rule
welcome
AE Majestic Blue would be my fav of all 5th gen Max's

Thanks for the info bro. Sorry i am a newb to this forum. I hate being the newb. I will search next time.

Well i have $725 to spend on some kind of Coilover System right now. How much are the Boss Chen's.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:16 PM

Well i have $725 to spend on some kind of Coilover System right now. How much are the Boss Chen's.
Should be $950 but I'm not sure if he has a set price already. PM Larrio Motors to find out for sure. BTW, TEIN SS usually cost $1100 - $1300.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Should be $950 but I'm not sure if he has a set price already. PM Larrio Motors to find out for sure. BTW, TEIN SS usually cost $1100 - $1300.

Well after next pay period i will just have to buy the boss chens since i read so much great things about them.

Cliff notes on what i have read.
JIC's blow struts and are bouncy and stiff as a rock.
Tein is good but pillow mounts are a problem.
Boss chens are great.

Person expierence, Tokico Illumina blew out of My acura CL like it was my day job.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:33 PM

Well after next pay period i will just have to buy the boss chens since i read so much great things about them.

Cliff notes on what i have read.
JIC's blow struts and are bouncy and stiff as a rock.
Tein is good but pillow mounts are a problem.
Boss chens are great.

Person expierence, Tokico Illumina blew out of My acura CL like it was my day job.
What you said about JIC is correct IMO, but TEINs don't have pillow boll mounts, they don't even have camber plates (just like boss chen) Also, most of the people here will tell you that illuminas are the best shocks you can get if you want to go with conventional springs. Maybe illuminas made for Acuras suck but I haven't seen a single person who didn't like illuminas on a Maxima.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
What you said about JIC is correct IMO, but TEINs don't have pillow boll mounts, they don't even have camber plates (just like boss chen) Also, most of the people here will tell you that illuminas are the best shocks you can get if you want to go with conventional springs. Maybe illuminas made for Acuras suck but I haven't seen a single person who didn't like illuminas on a Maxima.
All after market suspensions for acura's suck!!! thats why i got a nissan. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Whats the deal with the Boss chen's , are they any good .... I'm looking for a reliable suspension set up for my car are these worth the money or do they cause problems
Old 07-08-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by reliningmaxima
Whats the deal with the Boss chen's , are they any good .... I'm looking for a reliable suspension set up for my car are these worth the money or do they cause problems
realiable suspension and coilovers are two different things!

Quick Reply: Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!