5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Really depends on how you treat them... They would last MUCH longer for you, if you take off the coilovers for the winter and slap the stock suspension on...

Winters are terrible for any coilover strut.

My D2's are pushing 20k and the struts are still fine, they have also never seen a winter... Some have had them blow right after a year.
Dear god....
Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Boss Chen Industries

winters are hard on the suspension. I tell all owners that coilovers is a racing derived technology made for the street. You can't expect stock reliability and durability for 100K+ miles.

Just like you can't have a built racing motor to have stock reliability.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
winters are hard on the suspension. I tell all owners that coilovers is a racing derived technology made for the street. You can't expect stock reliability and durability for 100K+ miles.

Just like you can't have a built racing motor to have stock reliability.

True that man.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:38 PM
kramarz99

what is the best rate for D2`s?

so I assume you need to take them out over the winter time, right?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kramarz99
what is the best rate for D2`s?

so I assume you need to take them out over the winter time, right?

depends on how you want the car to ride... 9/7's come standard, I find it a bit to harsh.

You don't HAVE to take them out for the winter... But if you want them to last you should.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM

I am desperately torn right now between the K-sports, DR2s, and Boss Chens. Jics seem a bit pricy for something that has to be tuned constantly. I dont really care for the pillow ball mounts on the Jics or even the Ksports for that matter, but the Ksport are quite cheap, and relatively little problems with a wide distribution network.. However, the replacement struts for Ksports are cheap and readily available.(100-120ish) Anyone have a description/how-to for greasing the pillow mounts?
KSPORTS:795 shipped
Boss chens are known for the great ride, no camber plates to worry about, individual customer service, etc, but I'm looking at an extra 200 bucks above the Ksports...
BC's: close to 900 for complete kit shipped.
As far as the D2's, does anyone know if they have updated the isolators as to get rid of the noises? Anyone have pics of the D2's?? I havent been able to find pics.. Also, is there a sponsor on the Org that offers them, and where can I find a place to purchase them?
D2's:850ish shipped

Any help/comments appreciated
Old 06-12-2007, 05:29 AM
kramarz99

where do you buy those D2` for $850?
who sells them for that price?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Boss Chen Industries

Originally Posted by mydecember1985
I am desperately torn right now between the K-sports, DR2s, and Boss Chens. Jics seem a bit pricy for something that has to be tuned constantly. I dont really care for the pillow ball mounts on the Jics or even the Ksports for that matter, but the Ksport are quite cheap, and relatively little problems with a wide distribution network.. However, the replacement struts for Ksports are cheap and readily available.(100-120ish) Anyone have a description/how-to for greasing the pillow mounts?
KSPORTS:795 shipped
Boss chens are known for the great ride, no camber plates to worry about, individual customer service, etc, but I'm looking at an extra 200 bucks above the Ksports...
BC's: close to 900 for complete kit shipped.
As far as the D2's, does anyone know if they have updated the isolators as to get rid of the noises? Anyone have pics of the D2's?? I havent been able to find pics.. Also, is there a sponsor on the Org that offers them, and where can I find a place to purchase them?
D2's:850ish shipped

Any help/comments appreciated
Ultimately, you'll have to decide what is more important for you. If price and value is a great concern, K-sports would be the ideal choice. You can't beat $795 shipped for a coilover system and a national distribution system.

JIC and Tein also have a great product. There have been qualms on JIC customer service, but their product is widely used by many. Tein has the EDFC option which is quite appealing also.

I'd skip D2's just because i've had bad experiences with them (this is because I owned them for 6 months).

You have to really decide why you want the coilovers and therefore it will justify what you want to buy. In your case, I feel K-sports may be your best option because you want the adjustability and don't drive hard or track the Infiniti.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 AM
kramarz99

D2`s

I have already purchased D2`s...so in you opinoin I made a mistake? or not?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:15 PM

Larrio Motors
Ultimately, you'll have to decide what is more important for you. If price and value is a great concern, K-sports would be the ideal choice. You can't beat $795 shipped for a coilover system and a national distribution system.

JIC and Tein also have a great product. There have been qualms on JIC customer service, but their product is widely used by many. Tein has the EDFC option which is quite appealing also.

I'd skip D2's just because i've had bad experiences with them (this is because I owned them for 6 months).

You have to really decide why you want the coilovers and therefore it will justify what you want to buy. In your case, I feel K-sports may be your best option because you want the adjustability and don't drive hard or track the Infiniti.
well, I stayed up last night until about 5 am or so reading gobs of reviews, pricing, etc. I did narrow it completely down to BC's or Ksports. I finally went with Ksports. I'm not gonna say how much I paid, but I definitely got em for a VERY good price. Brand New. suposedly will be here in 2 weeks or less.

Larrio, thanks so much by the way, for making me really, really think this over. If these do turn out to be a hassle for me or anything, I can always come to you for a nicer setup!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
kramarz99

D2`s

so did I do goog buy by buing those D2`s or not??? ?

Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by kramarz99
so did I do goog buy by buing those D2`s or not??? ?

D2's are fine, the differences between D2 & Ksport are minor.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Boss Chen Industries

Originally Posted by mydecember1985
well, I stayed up last night until about 5 am or so reading gobs of reviews, pricing, etc. I did narrow it completely down to BC's or Ksports. I finally went with Ksports. I'm not gonna say how much I paid, but I definitely got em for a VERY good price. Brand New. suposedly will be here in 2 weeks or less.

Larrio, thanks so much by the way, for making me really, really think this over. If these do turn out to be a hassle for me or anything, I can always come to you for a nicer setup!
welcome to the coilover club I don't think they will be a hassle for you, lets just hope they are noise free. Although from reading reviews I don't think any owners have complained about it too much
Old 06-13-2007, 09:37 AM
kramarz99

D2`s

hey,
read some reviews and someone said that it will be good idea to put some ES spring isolator before install, do you think it is good idea?

if yes, where can I get that....

Old 06-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Larrio, since you are a suspension guru, what do you think about Air suspension or a coilover over air suspension? I am really thinking about doing this set up for the adjustability in hieght in an instance and ride comfort. Any thoughts on the matter? Cost is the only drawback since it cost $2000 to $3000 for Universal Air which goes over any strut.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Boss Chen Industries

With anything... if you are going to do it, do it right the first time. There is a saying, "go cheap, buy twice".

If looks and a potential to show the car at shows is the primary usage of the vehicle, air ride is the optimal setup. Although i've seen air rides go wrong installed in maximas and other cars (bags don't hold air, etc) and it becomes a scary ride.

Coilovers ultimately is for performance oriented individuals. The ride quality will be much stiffer than stock or normal spring/strut combos, regardless of who buys it. Its one undeniable fact due to the increased spring rates. And its a pain to adjust coilovers since you have to remove all four wheels, blah blah blah... you get it. I haven't touched mine for over a year already, kind of a set it and forget it attitude. Of course there is the usual maintenance by hand scrubbing the components to keep them relatively clean.

Each has its pros/cons, what really matters is what are your goals with the vehicle. That is the first question I ask when I receive PMs about the product.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

I've got a set of D2's. I was wondering what the softest springs I can get for the set up and where to get them. I did a trade so that is why I don't know. The D2 company told me to contact a dealer because they don't sell them directly.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Boss Chen Industries

There isn't a specific softest spring setting, there are variables at play. The softer the spring, the longer its static length needs to be because it will compress more under the same weight.

Example:
A 500 lb (9kg) spring compresses 1 inch for every 500 lb of weight (or 1mm per 9kg of weight). If the front of the vehicle is 1500 lbs, the spring compresses 3 inches in length. Given the static length of 8 inches, that spring is now 5 inches in length compressed. Although weight is usually distributed on both sides of the vehicle, so assuming that its an even distribution, the spring is compressed 1.5 inches (half of the original 3 inches) so now you have a 6.5 inch spring.

If you have a 300 lb spring, the static spring length of 8 inches will now become 3 inches compressed given the same vehicle weight (5 inch length compression) or compressed 2.5 inches per side giving you a 5.5 inch spring.

Basically you are losing more and more travel so you'll have to put a longer static length spring in, but your coilover system isn't designed to look like some monster off-road truck with 12 inch springs. So the bottom line is you'll have to figure things out for yourself by taking measurements.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brand of coilovers: ksport

Miles i've been running on them: 1,500

How much you paid: $870

Any run-ins you had with installation: not really. devote a day and your good to go.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: clicking noise when turning

Positive change you noticed the most: no body roll, more grip, the look of the car, the handling, the ability to set them on full hard or full soft.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: i love the ksports but it would be nice if the clicking noise would stop.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
DasYears

Brand: Boss Chen
Miles: 2000
Cost: $900
Run-ins: retardedly forgot to install the plastic bushing with the FR top hat
Problems on car: was clicking, put in bushing and amazingly it went away
Positives: they handle amazing even though i dont have them where i want them yet, car looks great even though im just under 1" dropped
Notes: i love them, but im still looking for the perfect adjustments

do we have a coilovers picture thread? i want to know what kind of measurements everyone has on their boss chens and pictures would be incredibly helpful. what kind of lengths is everyone using? i want to know top of strut body to top of perch and top of perch to top of threaded section. and what kind of setting are you after with those measurements? i adjusted mine yesterday and tightened the spring over 1.5", but kept the same ride height because i adjusted it.

looking for: stiff spring with medium shock
Strut body to perch: just under 3"
Perch to top of threads: 2.5"
Shock setting: right in the middle, 15 clicks from max and min
i would really like to know what everyone else is running as far as spring compression because i want to know if im still a little soft or if i am good now. i have no expercience with coilovers as far as adjustment so i need any help i can get.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Chassis Freak

Here are my BC settings (4th gen). Not a major drop but excellent handling and ride.

Front:
Top thread to bottom of spring (1) = 0.9"
Spring collar bottom to top of locking collar (2) = 3.1"
Bracket/body overlap (3) = 5.5"
Ride height (ground to wheelarch) = 26.6"
Wheelgap = 2.0"

Rear:
Top thread to bottom of spring (1) = 1.2"
Spring collar bottom to top of locking collar (2) = 2.8"
Bracket/body overlap (3) = 1.5"
Ride height (ground to wheelarch) = 27.1"
Wheelgap = 2.3"

My damper settings are 8/32 front, 12/32 rear I believe.

The numbers (1) (2) and (3) refer to the labeled parts of Larry's illustration sheet that comes with the coilovers.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:24 PM
DasYears

ill have to look a bit, mine are 5th gen but i bet theyre pretty similar. i think i might want to go with more preload.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Some info for the Coil spring Isolaters. Got them and worked perfectly. Also some shock stem isolaters. You will have to cut them down since they are universal. For the price though they can't be beat. Especially since they are from Energy Suspension.

By the way I bought these for my D2's. However, I think the isolaters and boots should be pretty much universal.

Spring Isolaters:

Uni isolators style A Universal Energy Suspension Rear Upper Coil Spring Isolator Set Style-A (Various dimensions)
Options: Color: Black (G)
Choose: 9.6103

Boots:

StabilizerBoots Universal Energy Suspension Shock / Stabilizer Boots (SINGLE, PAIR, BULK, CABLE TIES)
Options: Color: Black / G
Choose: 9.8129 - SINGLE Shock Boot
Old 10-16-2007, 04:20 PM

would the cattman y pipe scrape with 2 and 1/2 inches of drop
Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by perkman87
would the cattman y pipe scrape with 2 and 1/2 inches of drop
wrong thread
Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 PM

where can i get a set of boss chen coilovers
Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 AM
(insert witty one liner)

Originally Posted by maximumobsesion
where can i get a set of boss chen coilovers
PM Larrio Motors
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM

i tried that no anwser
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM

Then Larry's probably not making/selling them for now, or anymore.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Chassis Freak

Give him a chance to respond...he's often out of town. Also PM "Larrio" since he also uses that screen name.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:12 PM

just thought id add, i replaced my rear springs on my jic a1's with a set of a2 springs, 6k vs 8k. and all i can saw is omg. they should have come this way in the first place. the car handles so much better and feels much more planted. i havent totally thrown her around a ton yet but she feels like shes much more likely to rotate the rear than she used to. deff no understering "plowing"anymore. couldnt be happier, amazing what a little spring swap will do.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:42 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

How much did you pay for your JIC's
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 PM

Im definately going with the k-sports just from reading this.
i didnt even have to ask any questions.

except, anybody have ksports and riding 19's?? how the ride on those i heard one review that it was pretty good.. my hopes are high right now
Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM

So lets see:

H&Rs- $250
Tein htechs - $200
Eibach rears - $50
Progress fronts - $50
Illuminas - $400

So thats $950...almost $1k in "experimenting" with ride setups b/c I wanted comfort and an even stance. Im on htechs right now in the front with h&Rs in the back with illuminas....the ride still sucks

With all this money I could have easily spent a bit more and gotten some Tein SS coilovers. Well thats my plan this spring. I want to sell off all the mismatched springs and maybe keep the h&Rs for the winter. I just really regret not going with Tein SS in the very beginning. I wont even slam the car..maybe just go a BIT lower than my htechs right now. I'm just really looking for the comfort...

It seems like a lot of the GD's for the Tein's have expired and online they go for ~$1200. Ebay doesn't seem to have them. Anyone know where I could get them a bit cheaper? thanks in advance
Old 02-10-2008, 04:52 PM

brand- k-sport

milage- 10k+

run ins- none except when i very first put them on i lowered it fully and bust my axle on the highway lol

price- $750 (ebay)

pros- real sporty handling, less spin off the line, bragging rights lol...

any notes- im in the process of lowering it just a tad, but if i was to buy again i will most definately choose k-sport again... or maybe D2
Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dmo21
Brand of coilovers: ksport

Miles i've been running on them: 1,500

How much you paid: $870

Any run-ins you had with installation: not really. devote a day and your good to go.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: clicking noise when turning

Positive change you noticed the most: no body roll, more grip, the look of the car, the handling, the ability to set them on full hard or full soft.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: i love the ksports but it would be nice if the clicking noise would stop.
ive got the same clicking when turning, but its my tire rods, check yours
Old 02-10-2008, 05:06 PM

has anyone heard of swindels??? how does that work?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:17 AM

It seems like a lot of the GD's for the Tein's have expired and online they go for ~$1200. Ebay doesn't seem to have them. Anyone know where I could get them a bit cheaper? thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Yup.. shoulda just bought the coilovers from the beginning.
I got mine for 1150 from importRP. They're awesome!
http://www.importrp.com/search.php?mode=search
Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Question for Ksport owners: How low did u go on the Kontrol Coilovers? Im looking only to drop the same as the eibach springs 1.3 front, 1.0 rear.
How comfortable a ride are they?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:31 PM

Wow, seems like coilovers aren't very popular with the .org crowd.

I, too, was looking to get the TEIN SS Coilovers and was hoping for more feedback on them from Maxima owners, but that seems like a rarity.

It's either the SS Coilovers, or the Illumina/H-Tech combo...decisions, decisions...

Quick Reply: Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!