5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wierd...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:02 PM
The Visionary...

Wierd...

I took my car to the DMV and as soon as I hit the line my check engine light came on. So of corse I failed with the code p1320. Ignition signal fault. My car runs perfectly. So I take my car to the local Tire King because they were certified for emmisions by the state. I ask for a diagnostic and they call me back 3 hours later telling my the pulled three more codes. My system was too lean my O2 sensor was bad and my iggnition coils were bad. But heres the wierd thing they checked all of those things and they said nothing was wrong with the car. They cleared teh codes and drove it around for about 30 mins with no problem. I get to the shop and start my car. The check engine light comes back on alond with my tcs and my sllip light. He hooked my car back upto the machine and its throwing off diffrent codes then before but the car is still running fine. They had no idea what the problem was so they refunded my money and sent me to the dealership. My appointment is monday. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I just had my mass airflow sensor changed, my air filter changed and my ignition coils are in perfect shape.

Any help or guesses would be greatly appreciated....
Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 PM

Not sure what the problem might be with the other codes, but the P1320 means your coils are going. If you get a misfire code on a specific cylinder you can probably just get away with replacing that one coil. Regardless, your car can probably run fine for 2-3 weeks, maybe even more than a month before your coils will start misfiring so bad it will be undrivable. Most likely your car will detect a coil going bad way before it starts creating noticable problems...

When you reset the codes, your car has to detect the same problem for several cycles before it will kick off the SES light again - which is why it took awhile for the light to come back on after they reset them.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:49 PM
The Visionary...

yea but they checked the coils and the airflow sensor and everything checked out ok but yet the codes stil came up I just hope this problem can be fixed I really dont want to get rid of my max, it rides so beautifully...I hope the dealership can fix it...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

How did they check the coils?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:54 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

p1320 Bad coils.. period.... replace them yourself save some $$$
o2 sensors.. well welcome to the club buddy... get an o2 sim and go from there... good luck
Old 12-03-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Split Level
yea but they checked the coils and the airflow sensor and everything checked out ok but yet the codes stil came up I just hope this problem can be fixed I really dont want to get rid of my max, it rides so beautifully...I hope the dealership can fix it...
You can't really check the coils. You can use a multimeter to test some of the leads on the coils and it will tell you which one is failing, but usually the coils will only fail under load which you cannot test. If you're getting a P1320 then you have bad coils period. If you don't believe it, wait until your car starts to hesitate real bad and then you'll know that you have a bad coil.

What you can do is wait until the car starts to hesitate, then buy two new coils and swap them around until the car works fine again. You'll then know you replaced the bad coil. The reason you'll need to buy two, is because the front and back ones are different.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:01 PM
retired moderator

...or you could just buy one coil first (let's say a front) and try that in all 3 places to see if it fixes the problem. If it does, you've saved $$. If not, then buy a rear one.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:58 AM
The Visionary...

And if that doesnt work then what? I waisted money on something I didnt know was a sure thing or not
Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 AM

What codes came up ????
Old 12-04-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Split Level
And if that doesnt work then what? I waisted money on something I didnt know was a sure thing or not
dude, if you've got a P1320 on your car right now, then you've got bad coils. Almost EVERY 2000 Maxima has had to have coils replaced before 80K miles. Search this forum for coil threads.....they are everywhere. Everybody has had to replace them...
Old 12-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey,

i have a wierd problem too !!! I recently had a check engine light on and decided to disconnect my battery to get rid of it. Well after about an hour of disconnection I reconnected the battery and started my car. The CEL went away......but after driving the car I noticed a huge lag and it was like my max would not shift properly. WTF??? So I disconnected my battery again but the problem persists. What is the matter with my car and why did it happen after i disconnected my battery? By the way its a 2000 max SE and has 60000 miles on it. O yeah and I was in cold weather when I was doing it if that matters.

thanks