4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sinking clutch pedel - help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM

sinking clutch pedel - help!

ok this is as odd as it gets.

On my 96 Max i replaced the clutch, TOB, flywheel etc and have been driving it for a while. I noticed that when i let the clutch out is was "pulsing" (for lack of a beter word to describe it) ..

After a while i started having no preasure in the clutch and thats when i noticed that i had a leak in the "middle" clutch line (there are three parts to it, the part off the Master, the one from the Slave and the "middle" one that connects the two) and i replaced it.

before i reconnected everything I made sure to fill the new section of line with fluid. I had someone in the car and slowly depressed the clutch pedel until fluid was pumping out of hte new line (and yes i kept the master res. full)

After it was all reconnected, i bled the line at the slave until i saw no air using the pump x 3 and hold pedel, crack the valve and retighten before lifting the clutch pedel method.

This was great that day and it drove all over town with no problems.

This is where is gets wierd...

The next morning i got in my can and i had NO clutch preasure at all. Immediatly thinking that somthin leaked i checked everything. The fluid was still perfectly at the full line and there were no signs of a leak anywhere. I tried to "pump up" the clutch (like you might if you had air in the breake lines) but this did nothing for the clutch preasure.

What DID happen is that the problem "went away" after the car had been ideling for about 15 mins.

So i went to work. When i tried to leave that evening, the same thing occured.

So that night i thought well *maybe* there is still air in the system, so i bled it again. No air that i saw so i refilled fluid that i bled out and parked it overnight.

The next morning.. you guessed it.. no clutch again. It was at this point that i realized that letting the car idle for 15 mins gave me back my clutch... but WTH?!? this shouldn't be happening.

Iv talked to several people in the area and none of them have heard of this. So I called the Stealership and then recomended that i come here. (i was gonna anyway, but his prompt made be believe that i shoulda come here first.)

So, PLEASE is you have any ideas that wont cost and arm or a leg.. let me know.. At this point im thinking of replacing the master cylendar, but I really dont have an extra $100 for it right at the moment.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe
Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Kevlo for President

I would bleed the lines, and while you're at it, rebuild the master and slave cylinder. It can all be done under 50 bucks if you do it your self and it is not too hard to do.

Alternative is to buy a reman'd slave and master cyl.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I would bleed the lines, and while you're at it, rebuild the master and slave cylinder. It can all be done under 50 bucks if you do it your self and it is not too hard to do.

Alternative is to buy a reman'd slave and master cyl.
Well I have looked at a few of the major parts places in my area (Kragen/ORiley & Autozone) and nobody has a rebuld kit for those.

Where did you get one from?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by cvsmaxima
At this point im thinking of replacing the master cylendar, but I really dont have an extra $100 for it right at the moment.
This dosnt mean that i can't, but unless yall agree that i need to i'd rather wait.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Kevlo for President

I got mine from Nissan.