5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

??????? Starter and Alternator Woes ????????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:02 AM

??????? Starter and Alternator Woes ????????????

What's up all?

I have a weird probem going on with my car!

Here is the deal it's a 2K SE. About 1 month ago I went out on a cold morning and started my car. I turned on the heat and went back in the house upon coming out to my car I noticed there were a couple dash lights on Slip, ABS, and maybe 1 or 2 others. I noticed this and turned the car off and tried to restart it. It was dead so I gave it a jump. It started right up. While driving to work I noticed that when I turned my heat on the light would show up again and turn off when I turned the heat off. Weird! I figured it was either my alternator or my battery. I went to Auto Zone being that I bought the battery there less than a year ago and asked them to test it. They stated it was a bad battery and gave me a new one. I put it in and drove the car and used the heat for 2-3 days with no problems or lights. Then it happened again. I got a jump and it started back up. I figured it was the alternator but now my car won't even turn over and my battery is 100% charged. All I get is a click when I turn the key (starter). I am thinking it may be a bad alternator and starter but what are the chances of both dying at the same time?

I want to be able to start the car to use a new toy I bought (Battery charger with alternator tester) to check if it's the alternator but the f-n thing wont start.

Any ideas???????? Thanks!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would definetly point at your alternator. If your car "clicks" when you turn the key your starter is most likely fine. I had my starter go out and I would get nothin when I turned the key. Try push starting your car if it is a manual. If you can push start it and it runs fine, then yea, start looking at problems with the starter. However, if you start the car and it just dies again, obviously the vehicle is not recharging itself so it could very possibly be your alternator. My .02 but I'm not a qualified pro either so....

Kevin
Old 12-09-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by makdaddy386
I would definetly point at your alternator. If your car "clicks" when you turn the key your starter is most likely fine. I had my starter go out and I would get nothin when I turned the key. Try push starting your car if it is a manual. If you can push start it and it runs fine, then yea, start looking at problems with the starter. However, if you start the car and it just dies again, obviously the vehicle is not recharging itself so it could very possibly be your alternator. My .02 but I'm not a qualified pro either so....

Kevin
Could a bad alternator cause a car not to start at all even though the battery is fully charged? I am under the impression it turn over but never start?
I just want to do it myself but don't want to replace the one that itsn't the problem. And I can't test my alternator because it won't start.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 AM

have you tested the car with a meter yet?
if so what did you get for volts with the car on and off at the battery
Old 12-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jackiemax
have you tested the car with a meter yet?
if so what did you get for volts with the car on and off at the battery
- If it is just clicking - your alternator may have been the cause of that problem. But an alternator that isn't charging won't stop a vehicle from starting once the battery has been recharged. Check the battery voltage across the battery terminals. Should be 12.6 or higher... You could also have a bad wire or loose wire. Check VD from battery to starter should be .5 V or less. (This is a universal # I use.) Maximas could be slightly higher for maximun VD. -----You are 100% certain the battery is fully charged???
If you are absolutely positive the battery is fully charged, I would check for faulty wiring and starter next.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:08 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Check your belt tension before you do anything else. If the new battery only lasted 2-3 days, first: clean the cables completely and check for any cable issues between the battery and starter, and then second: replace the alternator. If you have a new battery and a new alternator and continue to get a no-start condition, replace the starter.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm a bit confused. Your car won't start and you have a fully charged battery??I wouldn't condemn your alternator just yet.....Like paralyse said, check for cable issue between battery and starter. (Checking voltage Drop and visual inspection.) The reason your battery is dying is most likely connected with the reason it won't start with a "Fully charged" battery.----If your battery is fully charged, Then I would deffiently point to wiring......It could also be the starter, but more than likely you don't have 2 seperate problems, they are most likely connected.---Do you have the terminals clamped down tight?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:27 AM

The problem had been going on for a couple weeks. My battery would just go dead if I used alot of the accersories (heat, radio, etc.). After a jump start I would be fine. Then 1 week after returning the old battery and getting the new one it started to happen again. It was also starting to take longer and longer for the engine to turn over. The last time it started it took a little while for the car to turn over (battery low). The next day I tried to jumpstart it and it would not start. All I am getting is a 1 single click. It won't even turn over as if it wanted to start. Yes, The battery is fine I charged it and tested it. Besides it should have started with the jump....

Thanks to all...
Old 12-15-2005, 08:04 AM

All fixed

It was the starter. Replaced the starter and all is fine. It must have had a short of some sort and was constantly draining my battery.

-Ben