5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

*PIX* 4th gen ICE mod on a 5th gen *PIX*

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Maxima Fanatic

Originally Posted by chr0nos
what's a carputer?
computer in a car
mapquest
Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 PM

my question about carputers is how long do they take to boot up? It takes me PC at home a few mins to get booted, and in a car that would get very annoying. Might be a dumb question but i have never looked into a carputer.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:21 PM
drag racing is for wussies

few min to boot up your computer ? You on a 486DX2 ? Push the TURBO button maaan ! Relistically it takes my laptop that I use in my Maxima, bout 15 seconds to be fully operational. Ya need to clear off all that **** off your computer and delete some of that spyware... its really slowing you down.

The link I provided works, I just checked it. Its a detailed install of a Carputer in a Ford F350 Powerstroke, with Navi and back up camera.

I'm thinking of doing a similar but using a laptop with a broken LCD screen to keep track of my Emanage Ultimate (got it for Xmas , already know its under the tree), manage my Ebay auctions while sitting outside of Starbucks :P all from the driver's seat of my car. I would need a decent size sceen in my dash in order to make the laptop operational.... it should smoke the CarPuter in terms of flexibility.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by blacmax02
screen looks nice. Next you should hook up a rear-view video camera to the 'puter so you can film the cars u dust
I have a camera in the back I've had that for over a year now.

No point of a carputer in my car. I have a hacked Xbox that I can put in there with Vidoes, Movies, and Music. Ohh and games when I'm bored.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
few min to boot up your computer ? You on a 486DX2 ? Push the TURBO button maaan ! Relistically it takes my laptop that I use in my Maxima, bout 15 seconds to be fully operational. Ya need to clear off all that **** off your computer and delete some of that spyware... its really slowing you down.
ok so maybe its not a few mins, but when i get in my car, the last thing i like doing is waiting for my music to come on. BTW, just got a new hard drive so i lost everyhting. I have no **** and no spyware. Its a dell...so that might explain the lagtime.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will be building a carputer over my Christmas break, hopefully. I am thinking about a Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen in dash. Then making a custom case with a mini-itx board and put it in the glove box or in the center console. It will hace Navigation, 20 gb of music, dvds, Wifi, etc. Also to power up your carputer when you start your car you get a opus power supply because it has auto startup and shut down controllers that turn the computer on and off when you start.shut down your car. It also regulates the voltage and amperage during the crank of your car so there are no surges that might fry the hard drive. It is going to be a hassle hooking up all of the wires to the Bose and wiring the power supply but whatever. definitely check out www.mp3car.com they have some sick installs and a lot of information, I have been reading for like 4 weeks and I am still confused lol
Old 12-12-2005, 08:50 PM

damn
this makes me want to get rid of the Nav in my I and replace it with a carputer. good work!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:11 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
I did this about 2 years ago. Never got the glassing done for the deck replacing the ashtray. So I scrapped it and got an AVN. Never looked back....

If you have any questions, let me know.

You need to cut some stuff behind the ashtray to make the deck fit...

Blah, tell the truth...you broke it.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Blah, tell the truth...you broke it.
Yup....everyone knows the truth!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Yup....everyone knows the truth!!!

I broke it.

PS...soooo tired. Don, I'm still goin....
Old 12-15-2005, 04:19 PM

i worked as a pc tech for many years, and most laptop screens are connected to teh base via a thin ribbon cable. it's possible to get a small screen, and an extended ribbon cable. you could get a regular laptop base and put it under the seat or in glovebox. you can get a cdrom an extension cable and fiberglass it into the console. basically use the laptop base as a regular pc, and fiberglass the screen into the console. i think it would be as good as a regular computer. maybe a carputer is the same thing, with a good custom enclosure.....