5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

carbon fiber hood questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by Jime
Weigh this thing, I would like to know how much less it is than stock.
It's about the same weight of stock There is really not much of a weight difference, (with the Vis hood)
Old 12-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by doc2278
It's about the same weight of stock There is really not much of a weight difference, (with the Vis hood)
I forgot to mention some companies produce the understructure of the hood as well, which gives it some added weight not to mention the sandwiched structural supports for hood mounts and brackets. So between the resins, carbon ( how many layers is key) you are looking at only 15lbs lighter than stock most of the time. But hey the visual of it is bad a**!!!!! the one thing you will have to watch for is if the surface gel coat gets scratched, there is not much you can do to repair it, this is the only real downside to the hoods. i hope this is helpful to some degree.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Need A Light?

?

do you have a VIS hood? Have you ever lifted a stock maxima hood? Or even a VIS Cf one?
Old 12-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Some people say no hood pins some say use hood pins. I used hood pins on my VIS hood. Just to feel more safe about not having a hood come up and do more damage. But if you do put hood pins in make sure you get some resin and seal around the hoodpin holes and the screws that hold the pin to the hood or it will crack around them.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:45 PM

i just had my VIS C/F Invader hood put on, it does weigh alot less. i didnt use hood pins, it was fine w/the factory latch. nice buy, thats a great price.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:03 PM

Sick looking hood. Can't wait to see it on your car!

Find someone with a digital scale, you'll get the exact weight of both.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by steven88
?

do you have a VIS hood? Have you ever lifted a stock maxima hood? Or even a VIS Cf one?
Did you read my other reply? I'm guessing not. look, I work w/ Cf all the time. weight depends upon how much resin to how much carbon which in turn=weight. It has to be strong enough not to break or fatigue over time. If these hoods are made from a wet lay up, they will fatigue and be heavier thus the 15lbs roughly less than stock. If they use pre-preg carbon and autoclave it. it's weight is signifigantly less than stock.... you would be correct. But does anyone know how VIS approaches their hoods? I believe they use pre-preg but I am not convinced. If the weight difference you stated is correct then they are using a pre-preg system. But to caution others who would not want to spend the 490bucks on a great hood and would sacrifice price for a part that looks almost as good but will be a piece of sh*t in two three years due to yellowing and subsequent craking of the gel coat b/c they were too cheap to add a uv coat to it. This is for you.
Steven you know more about the weight of your hood(s) than I do. I am just giving some info others might not have considered in buying cf hoods.

BTW alot of other companies use a wet layup, it is cheaper to their bottom line. VIS probably is probably the exception rather than the rule.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Need A Light?

Did you read my other reply? I'm guessing not. look, I work w/ Cf all the time. weight depends upon how much resin to how much carbon which in turn=weight. It has to be strong enough not to break or fatigue over time. If these hoods are made from a wet lay up, they will fatigue and be heavier thus the 15lbs roughly less than stock. If they use pre-preg carbon and autoclave it. it's weight is signifigantly less than stock.... you would be correct. But does anyone know how VIS approaches their hoods? I believe they use pre-preg but I am not convinced. If the weight difference you stated is correct then they are using a pre-preg system. But to caution others who would not want to spend the 490bucks on a great hood and would sacrifice price for a part that looks almost as good but will be a piece of sh*t in two three years due to yellowing and subsequent craking of the gel coat b/c they were too cheap to add a uv coat to it. This is for you.
Steven you know more about the weight of your hood(s) than I do. I am just giving some info others might not have considered in buying cf hoods.

BTW alot of other companies use a wet layup, it is cheaper to their bottom line. VIS probably is probably the exception rather than the rule.
I did read your other post...that one is much more informative than your original post...how can you go around tellin people the VIS CF hood is the same as stock? You shoulda just deleted that first post and kept the 2nd one...

I could careless how the hood is made...or what the hood is made out of....the main arguement here is the weight...you said that the VIS one weighs the same as stock...completely false information....it's nowhere near stock...the difference is like 25-30lbs...i even have empirical data to back it up...
Old 12-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by steven88
I did read your other post...that one is much more informative than your original post...how can you go around tellin people the VIS CF hood is the same as stock? You shoulda just deleted that first post and kept the 2nd one...
I never said that it WAS Stock weight, I said it was close to it. get your quoting straight, Yeah I did try to edit my post to give the right facts but somehow it wouldn't allow me to do that.

Besides lose 100 lbs= 1/10 of a second gain qm, you got to do alot of weight loss in order to make a difference. On the street it would make a little difference.

I could careless how the hood is made...or what the hood is made out of....the main arguement here is the weight...you said that the VIS one weighs the same as stock...completely false information....it's nowhere near stock...the difference is like 25-30lbs...i even have empirical data to back it up...
Duh!!!!!! LOL that is why I said it might be pre-preg, no need to get bent out of shape son!!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Need A Light?

Duh!!!!!! LOL that is why I said it must be pre-preg, no need to get testy!!!!
whoever said 0.1 seconds in the 1/4th mile? AFAIK, we never talked about issues on weight savings for the 1/4th mile....its on how much the hood weighs....this whole thread is dedicated on CF hoods, not how much will you gain in the 1/4th if you put a CF hood....a 30lbs savings is ALOT...I cannot put on my hood struts on my CF hood without it flying straight to the air...