5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird Engine behavior (5 spd)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Weird Engine behavior (5 spd)

So my engine is actin weird. I first noticed this when i was taking a pretty sharp left turn and my car stalled. (I was in either 4th or 5th @ ~50 mph. I was braking, and then I pushed in the clutch like right before i started the turn, and was gonna reengage it into 2nd gear and come out of the turn @ ~10-15 mph.) anyways so right when i started turning, i realized my power steering was out and was like oh junk (this is a really sharp turn). My engine had stalled. Anyways, i restarted my car and kept goin. I figured i prolly waited too long to shift and maybe since i was in 5th, my rpm dropped too low while i was braking and coincidentally i pushed in the clutch right as it was stalling. about a week later it happened again at the same turn. Then it started happening at random sharp turns and sometimes when i come to a complete stop and pretty much whenever i need to bring it into neutral. anyways, after about the 3rd time it happened, i started really paying attention to my rpms. If, in the middle of driving, I push in the clutch suddenly and let rpm drop to idle, the engine drops pretty far below the normal idle speed and then speeds back up to it (like it over-corrects). For example, if im driving at like 2000 rpm and push in the clutch for a couple seconds, my rpm will drop down to like 200-300 rpm and then back up to normal (600-700ish). Sometimes its worse than this and Im pretty sure thats what caused it to stall out on the other occasions. Ive also noticed that (this is very consistent) at a red light, about 5-10 seconds after i stop (and my engine is already at idle speed), rpm will randomly drop for a second to like 300-400 then come back up. im guessing that it might have been cause of the radiator turnin on, but i never hear the radiator and right now its reallly cold outside. i also have slightly weird acceleration sometimes (like i can feel that its not completely even). From what Ive read im pretty sure my maf could be dying, but i think the engine thing could be soemthin different. Its almost like since the engine is only getting enough gas to idle when i suddenly drop it to neutral, it slows down reallly quick to get back to idle, but its got too much momentum in slowing down so it slows down too much and then has enough power to get back up to idle. so if youre still reading this, then you didnt get too confused, and so youre either smart enough or interested enough to please let me know what you guys think it could be? Thanks yo.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:58 PM

do you think this could be it? ("fuel cut" tsb or somethin?")

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=32600
Old 12-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Sounds like something is wrong with injectors.

Did SES light come on?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Sounds like something is wrong with injectors.

Did SES light come on?
Nope. The only indication somethin is wrong is the actual behavior of the car.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:02 PM

man, that was so long and boring... it was one big square of text..... but anyway! its the maf yo...... either that, or your throttle body is dirty. had exact same problem with my car. i would drop to neutral, and the car would intermittenly drop the revs in neutral to like 50 rpm.it also started stalling more often, and i would clean my throttle body cuz it fixed it before, but to no avail. then my friend at nissan checked it out, and he said my maf was going bad. yeah, after i replaced my maf, the idle ALWAYS drops at the regular idle speed. and the car pulls stronger. i can almost put my money on it. so, yeah, just speakin from experience. this was the only indication that somethign was wrong, and it proved to be the maf.... so...... do what you wanna do with that.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:07 PM

i had the same exact problem, theres probably somthing wrong with ur intake, either MAF, the adapter or the air filter. The trouble with mine was the adapter was bad and the air filter was so dirty that my engine was basically choking, so when i hit the clutch and the rpms dropped, they would dip super low to around 100-200 and sometimes stall. I would get it stopping at a light sometimes too, hope this helps pm me if u have any questions about my experiance
Old 12-16-2005, 08:49 PM

tyte...thanks yo. ya so im prolly just gonna order a maf. I doubt its the air filter--a couple months ago i just redid my entire intake (still stock, but the construction was so lame). like on the stock intake, theres like little leaks everywhere--everything is kinda loosely put into place n junk. I revved it and felt for suction in the intake port thingy and realized that it was lame. so i took everything off n sealed most of the plastic pieces n junk and revved the engine and it was def pullin air from the right spot this time. ya but so anyways, i guess i call DaveB?