5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen Suspension Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Im not big on suspension but i have a question. Shocks and Struts are the same thing right. Does my 2000 max se have struts or shocks. Can someone help me out? thanks
Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Driving is the next best thing

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?...icp=1&.intl=us

You can also call a dampening part of a strut (damper) a shock IMO.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by djcallao
Im not big on suspension but i have a question. Shocks and Struts are the same thing right. Does my 2000 max se have struts or shocks. Can someone help me out? thanks
A shock is a suspension motion damper. A strut is a shock that also serves a structural/locating function for your hub/tire, in most cases acting as an upper control arm.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:40 AM

So my 2000 Max se has 4 struts? I'm trying to learn here gents. Thanks alot for you're help.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:43 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I bought my 2002 Maxima a few months ago and it came on Tokico Illuminas and Tein S-Techs. The Illuminas were set at 2 all around and the car was still driving very stiff [I even set it to 1 and not a big difference]. I live in Boston and some of the roads are harsh. I also hear some squeaking in the back once in a while. I have read around and saw that setting the Illuminas to 1 or 2 is comparable to the stock ride. My car is definately alot stiffer than a stock ride. How can I tell if I need new shocks or springs?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by gfxhil
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I bought my 2002 Maxima a few months ago and it came on Tokico Illuminas and Tein S-Techs. The Illuminas were set at 2 all around and the car was still driving very stiff [I even set it to 1 and not a big difference]. I live in Boston and some of the roads are harsh. I also hear some squeaking in the back once in a while. I have read around and saw that setting the Illuminas to 1 or 2 is comparable to the stock ride. My car is definately alot stiffer than a stock ride. How can I tell if I need new shocks or springs?
Shocks need to be replaced if your car bounces a few times after going over the bumps when the shocks are set to the firmest setting, or if you see oil leaking out of the shocks.

Springs are most likely fine, springs last for a very long time and often live longer than the car.

The ride is supposed to be stiffer at any setting of illuminas, first, because of the stiffer springs, second, because with such a low drop as s-techs suspension does not have enough up and down travel, which results in bottoming out. (When the shock absorbers get completely compressed and suspension stops absorbing the energy.)
Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question and Cant Post on Dead Battery

2000 Maxima;
After car sets for a week the battery is dead; took the battery to auto zone
said battery was bad..

Next time it set for a week new battery dead. Took alternator to auto zone and they tested it said it was bad. Installed new alternator.
Next time it set for a week battery dead again...

Any ideas of what else it could be??

Sorry I didnt know where else to post this since I only have 3 posts and couldnt post a new thread..

Or if someone could post this as a thread for me I would really appreciate it.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Bigger than Jesus

^^^ Please post this in the correct thread.

Ok. I have been on H-techs and Illuminas for more than a year now. The ride is very harsh to me. So much so that I am considering going back to a stock suspension. I have played with the settings on the Illuminas but can't find a setting that I like. I am looking for a comfortable ride and am not concerned with cornering ability. Would there be any problems switching to stock GLE springs, which I think would offer a comfortable ride, if I have an SE? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by crispykid717
^^^ Please post this in the correct thread.

Ok. I have been on H-techs and Illuminas for more than a year now. The ride is very harsh to me. So much so that I am considering going back to a stock suspension. I have played with the settings on the Illuminas but can't find a setting that I like. I am looking for a comfortable ride and am not concerned with cornering ability. Would there be any problems switching to stock GLE springs, which I think would offer a comfortable ride, if I have an SE? Thanks.
lol wow you are really picky, to me, the harsher it is the better it is . The answer is no problems, GLE springs fit for sure.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:36 PM

Hey guys, this is kind of off topic, but i've been wanting to do some suspension mods to my 2001 max, and i was thinking about getting the tokico HP series struts on an otherwise stock setup (besides a FSTB). I was just wondering, like... what exactly do they do to improve the handling? Do they make the car feel tighter around turns, or do they lessen the effects of bumbs going around turns or what? Also what effects will the eibach springs have? Thanks very much
Old 10-28-2006, 07:45 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by wyche89
Hey guys, this is kind of off topic, but i've been wanting to do some suspension mods to my 2001 max, and i was thinking about getting the tokico HP series struts on an otherwise stock setup (besides a FSTB). I was just wondering, like... what exactly do they do to improve the handling? Do they make the car feel tighter around turns, or do they lessen the effects of bumbs going around turns or what? Also what effects will the eibach springs have? Thanks very much
Get the Tokico Illuminas and Eibach Pro Sports. Springs will lower you to a perfect height and dramically improve your handling. The shocks are adjustable to suit your needs, close to stock - stiff. Shocks dampen the tire rebound. If you get the Illuminas and Eibachs, you will be lovin it.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
Springs lower the center of gravity which (if not dropped too low) results in a better weight distribution between all four tires, resulting in a better grip. Stiffer springs decrease body roll which helps controlling the car. (again there's a limit to everything and locomotive springs will not do you any good)

The main purpose of the shocks is to control spring oscillations. (without shocks springs will cause the car to bounce up and down like a pogo stick) You need stiffer shocks to control stiffer springs. However, shocks that are too stiff decrease both grip and handling.

There is a small range in shock stiffness (in both compression and rebound damping) that will suit a given spring, so shock manufacturers can valve their shocks a little differently for the same exact spring. As a result shocks of one brand feel different from the shocks of the other brand. In general, softer shocks (within a limit or the car will be bouncing up and down) result in a better grip while stiffer shocks (again within a limit) result in a better control and responsiveness.

Hope this helps. BTW, this is just basic info, if you want to know a little more details (I think you should) read the external links I've posted in the first post of this thread.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:28 AM

Cool. Thanx alot guys, that really helps. I think I might go with the HP series though, only because I'm on a limited budget. One thing im concerned about is the car staying firmly planted on the ground when hitting a bump while going around a fast turn. Will either the shocks or springs do anything for that? I also just want a better feel to the handling of the car all together.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Well, theoretically, vehicle with stiffer suspension is more likely to start skidding when you hit a bump in the corner, but from my experience suspension has to be MUCH stiffer for you to, actually, feel the difference. I currany have springs that are approximately 3 times as stiff as OEM springs and the shocks to match them, and I can't think of a single case when a bump on the road would cause a serous loss of traction. And I take corners fast quite often.

BTW, are you planning to keep your stock springs and install HP shocks? If so, I wouldn't recommend that setup. From what I found out, back in the day, HPs are too stiff for our stock springs.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:09 PM

Well, I was thinking about that setup before, but then from what I've learned in the past couple days, I think I'll just get both at the same time. The thing is, I don't want my car to be TOO low, u know? I don't have a body kit or anything, and I definitely don't want my car to scrape speed bumbs or parking lot entrances. I don't even want it to be that noticable of a drop... I'm mainly looking for performace instead of that really low appearance, and I figure that the 1" and 1.3" drop with the eibach springs shouldn't be too bad
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 PM

Yap, good choice, though I would go with Illuminas. You just can't imagine how good it is to be able to adjust (fine tune) your shocks.

Also, try finding someone local with a setup similar to what what you are planning to do, and ask to take you for a spin. (maybe at a local meet or something) It will make you alot more confident in making your decisions.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:46 PM
VaporHead

I just finally bought me some Eibach springs and now wondering if it's worth getting that camber alignment kit? Has anyone put these on? Where do they install at? Will a ordinary alignment type shop know how to adjust these if I have them install them?

I currently have 235x40x18's on, any rubbing issues with Eibachs?

Old 10-30-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by VaporHead
I just finally bought me some Eibach springs and now wondering if it's worth getting that camber alignment kit? Has anyone put these on? Where do they install at? Will a ordinary alignment type shop know how to adjust these if I have them install them?

I currently have 235x40x18's on, any rubbing issues with Eibachs?
Sorry I can't answer all your questions, but there's one thing I wanted to say:

Those alignment kits do the same exact thing as camber plates, but for some reason camber plates are a lot more expensive...

(I don't have any personally experience, but I heard from many people that camber bolts are very weak and do not hold proper alignment for a long time)
Old 10-30-2006, 06:56 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Sorry I can't answer all your questions, but there's one thing I wanted to say:

Those alignment kits do the same exact thing as camber plates, but for some reason camber plates are a lot more expensive...

(I don't have any personally experience, but I heard from many people that camber bolts are very weak and do not hold proper alignment for a long time)
Thanks! After reading through some posts, I am going to hold off on getting the camber bolts for the following two reasons:

1. May not be lowered enough to really effect camber

2. I will get a wheel alignment and see if i need them after.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:10 PM

What kind of strut?

2003 SE. Put coil over springs (Eilbach, I think) and KYB adjustable struts. Struts are done. Cattman is seemingly dead. I was going to order the kit he had (struts and springs) because I don't remember which springs fit which struts. So, my question(s): what kind of struts should I use and where should I get them? I have virtually no wheel well clearence because of the springs, so I guess I can't use just any strut; or can I? Thanx in advance.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by knightmelodic
2003 SE. Put coil over springs (Eilbach, I think) and KYB adjustable struts. Struts are done. Cattman is seemingly dead. I was going to order the kit he had (struts and springs) because I don't remember which springs fit which struts. So, my question(s): what kind of struts should I use and where should I get them? I have virtually no wheel well clearence because of the springs, so I guess I can't use just any strut; or can I? Thanx in advance.
I don't think I understand what setup you have...

Sleeve coilovers (Ground Control maybe?) with Eibach springs and KYB shocks? Or you have conventional springs and struts?

BTW, why do you think that Cattman is "dead?" Have you tried calling them?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:36 AM

I don't think I understand what setup you have...

Sleeve coilovers (Ground Control maybe?) with Eibach springs and KYB shocks? Or you have conventional springs and struts?

BTW, why do you think that Cattman is "dead?" Have you tried calling them?
I have conventional springs. They are called coil overs (maybe I have this wrong). The springs lower the car, so I don't know if I can use just any strut or if I need special struts. As far as Cattman, the website won't show me any catalog or other info. Haven't tried calling, but I will. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:40 PM

If it's conventional springs, you can choose any strut you like... This should help you make your decision: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=281189

BTW, "coilover" is a springs/shock kit that allows you to make many different adjustments to your suspension including ride height. If you have coilovers the only struts that you can use are the ones that are originally used in the kit. Here's one of those coilover kits (just to show you how it might look) : http://www.ksportusa.com/products/kontrolpro.html
Old 11-06-2006, 11:25 AM
VaporHead

Just installed my Eibachs, now I got what sounds like strut issues. I hear clanking alot along with alot of squeks. I can probably take care of the squeks be checking the spring isolators. Did anyone else notice that there stock struts were shot right after installing springs? The stock struts have 66k miles on them, so they are original.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:34 PM

Just installed my Eibachs, now I got what sounds like strut issues. I hear clanking alot along with alot of squeks. I can probably take care of the squeks be checking the spring isolators. Did anyone else notice that there stock struts were shot right after installing springs? The stock struts have 66k miles on them, so they are original.
Your shocks were probably on the way out already, so as soon as you put them under a little more stress they decided to give up...

BTW, you do know that it's not recommend to use OEM shocks with aftermarket springs?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
VaporHead

Your shocks were probably on the way out already, so as soon as you put them under a little more stress they decided to give up...

BTW, you do know that it's not recommend to use OEM shocks with aftermarket springs?
Yes, I know it's not recommended. I just ordered some KYB GR2's in the mean time. I don't have enough funds yet to get some Illuminas.

Also, do KYB's or most brands of shocks come with the boot/bumpstop?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:49 PM

Also, do KYB's or most brands of shocks come with the boot/bumpstop?
As far as I know they don't.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 PM
VaporHead

Does anyone recommend a place to get strut/shock boots and mounts? I've scoured the internet and prices range from $150 for ONE front mount to $30. My boots fall apart if you just touch them dang things.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does anyone recommend a place to get strut/shock boots and mounts? I've scoured the internet and prices range from $150 for ONE front mount to $30. My boots fall apart if you just touch them dang things.
Call Dave B....
Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Call Dave B....
Think I'm going to have too. I just called all the local auto places, none of them carry the bellows. I called the Stealership, they wanted $32 just for ONE rear bellow, and $16 for ONE front. That's alot of money for some cheap rubber.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Depending on the drop you're using, you have probably beaten the jounce bumpers senseless. Also as for the noises, make certain that the flats on the shocks have lined up with the mount guides. Look to see if there is as much thread showing above the strut mount as there was before it was taken apart. As for springs, I have tried Eibach, H&R, Tein (both) but am presently using Megan racing along with Koni Red adjustables. A good mix that does not shake your fillings out but handles very well. Also with the Megan springs the bumpers do not have to be cut.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by ferdie
Depending on the drop you're using, you have probably beaten the jounce bumpers senseless. Also as for the noises, make certain that the flats on the shocks have lined up with the mount guides. Look to see if there is as much thread showing above the strut mount as there was before it was taken apart. As for springs, I have tried Eibach, H&R, Tein (both) but am presently using Megan racing along with Koni Red adjustables. A good mix that does not shake your fillings out but handles very well. Also with the Megan springs the bumpers do not have to be cut.
Thanks for the info, but I solved the problems. When I got my new shocks/struts in, I readjusted the isolaters and sprayed lithium grease and everything is nice and quiet now.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:59 PM

How long will my stock shocks last if i put eibach springs on? I drive on some pretty crappy roads, and its cold in minnesota.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:29 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by IloveVQ
How long will my stock shocks last if i put eibach springs on? I drive on some pretty crappy roads, and its cold in minnesota.
How many miles are on the stock struts? I just installed my Eibachs 3 weeks ago and immidiatly after, my shocks were bad. I had 66K miles on them soit was time for a change anyways. I just installed some KYB-GR2's and rides nice now. You will probably have to get new strut/shock boots (bellows) as well since stock ones will probably fall apart in your hands.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:41 AM

So, what's the consensus on a reasonably comfortable shock/spring combo? H&R with Illuminas? Others? I have 58k miles on my 2k3 and want to improve the handling without compromising the ride quality too much. I also don't want an aggressive drop or to be scraping the bottom over speed bumps.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 AM

Near Normal Drivers - what makes sense?

Most of the people in this thread are hardcore enthusiasts, but I'm not - I'm an aggressive street driver at best, so I'm looking for near-stock handling. That means most of the mods on this thread, although sweet, are real overkill for me.

What I'm hoping everyone can help with is figuring out what to get given my "above stock, but not racing" needs:

The Car - 2k SE w/109k miles, stock suspension (yea, I know its long over due). One aesthetic thing I do care for would be a slight lowering to compensate for the front end wheel well gap.

My questions:
1. Do springs actually need replacement from a maintenance perspective, i.e. do they "wear out"? The warranties on springs indicate they have a virtually lifetime service interval and people switch springs exclusively for ride/handling/aesthetic reasons.

2. If the answer to #1 is no (new springs are not necessary), I'm just going to replace the struts with GR2s or HP/Blues. Any recommendations on other mods that are appropriate for the near-average driver?

3. If the answer to #1 is yes (new springs are necessary), what is a good near-stock setup? What other mods would you recommends for people in my category?

Thanks for reading and responding in advance.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 PM

I put Eibach's on when my car was new and the stock shocks only lasted about 8k - 10k before they gave up and I went to Tokiko HP's. I recently changed over to H&R's with Ilumina's and I must say that I am very pleased. The ride is not as compliant as stock, but is very nice and does provide better looks and handling without too much compromise. Also, I would say that the original springs probably don't have to be replaced. Usually, only the shocks/struts. Replace the springs only if you want improved handling and looks.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2k1seae
Replace the springs only if you want improved handling and looks.
This is 100% correct.
But also, you need to match the Struts to the performance of your springs.
Stiffer - Lower Springs WILL require a firmer strut that can handle the new spring rate/drop.
Ex: H&R's or Progress would require Tok Illuminas or KYB AGX's to PROPERLY handle the new spring rate.
I think you're better off sticking with stock springs, and some moderate struts like OEM, HP's or Blues.

gr
Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by kanhaik
Most of the people in this thread are hardcore enthusiasts, but I'm not - I'm an aggressive street driver at best, so I'm looking for near-stock handling. That means most of the mods on this thread, although sweet, are real overkill for me.

What I'm hoping everyone can help with is figuring out what to get given my "above stock, but not racing" needs:

The Car - 2k SE w/109k miles, stock suspension (yea, I know its long over due). One aesthetic thing I do care for would be a slight lowering to compensate for the front end wheel well gap.

My questions:
1. Do springs actually need replacement from a maintenance perspective, i.e. do they "wear out"? The warranties on springs indicate they have a virtually lifetime service interval and people switch springs exclusively for ride/handling/aesthetic reasons.

2. If the answer to #1 is no (new springs are not necessary), I'm just going to replace the struts with GR2s or HP/Blues. Any recommendations on other mods that are appropriate for the near-average driver?

3. If the answer to #1 is yes (new springs are necessary), what is a good near-stock setup? What other mods would you recommends for people in my category?

Thanks for reading and responding in advance.
Springs sag with time so the only time you HAVE to change them is when they get so low that the car starts bottoming out.

While some people do install HP or GR2s with original springs, from what I know, they are too stiff for OEM springs and might actually make handling worse. To be safe, I would get adjustable Illiminas and keep them at the softest setting. (which is matched to our OEM springs.)

I would also recommend replacing bushings. Even if you don't want to get urethane bushings you should at least consider factory rubber pieces.

BTW, if you install all available mods on your car it will still not handle as hood as some true sports car. (Even those that are affordable to most people.) So non of the mods discussed in this thread is an overkill. (except, maybe, for coilovers.) If you are even a little interested in improving handling you should consider getting at least RSB/FSTB combo. Some people say that with an RSB the car feels the way it should have felt from the factory.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:14 AM

Is anyone running full coilovers on their car here? I just got an I35 (03) and am debating which direction I am going to go with. I had a set of Megan Racing co's on both my Subaru's and they actually road fairly smooth compared to other versions out there.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Suspension Thread