5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen Suspension Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Best Setup with JL HO box

Im looking to drop my car a 5th generation, but my main concern is that beacause I have a W7 in an HO box in my trunk which is extremely heavy this may cause my back end to sag over time ....so I was wondering what would be the best drop for my car given the situation.I just want some suggestions for either a coilover setup or a spring setup.What do you guys think would be best ?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 AM

I own an Infiniti I30, all my struts are blown and i dont want to spend twice as much money getting the stock suspenion again when i can just spend a little over 1k and get an nice aftermarket suspenion

anyone have and ideas what would go good with eibach springs??
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by ZOMG Teh Penorz
I own an Infiniti I30, all my struts are blown and i dont want to spend twice as much money getting the stock suspenion again when i can just spend a little over 1k and get an nice aftermarket suspenion

Illuminas...

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...17&postcount=1
Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 PM

when i can just spend a little over 1k and get an nice aftermarket suspenion

anyone have and ideas??
Go with coilovers. You have the ability to raise the height of your car. Also you can choose to ride soft, hard or a mixture of both. Basically, you have more room to work with then just getting struts and springs.

Hope this was helpful
Old 03-24-2007, 07:35 AM

If you have 1k to play around with, i suggested you look into coilovers like Tein, JIC, KSport, BC. Search for the coilovers thread, it has all the info that can help you pick the right set for your car.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Chassis Freak

and I'd add that Boss Chen followed by TEIN will give you the most comfortable ride of the available coilovers.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Well, I just had Tein H-techs and Tokico Illuminas installed a couple of days ago, along with new OEM strut bearings. I had the rear bump stops cut about .5 inch and didn't cut the fronts. I have the Illuminas set to 3 front and 3 rear. I'll probably wait for the springs to settle a bit and then go and get my alignment done.

IMO, the drop looks perfectly even to me (6 speed manual). Handling is much better (tighter and more predictable) than stock. The ride quality is very close to stock on most roads, although I do notice the H-techs are rougher on large potholes. Contrary to some reports, haven't bottomed out yet in my first 100 miles or so of driving.

Needless to say, moving from stock to this combo is a huge improvement. I understand that the Eibachs are very good springs but I don't understand why the H-techs get such a bad rap on this forum.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Chassis Freak

The reason they're rougher on large potholes is they're bottoming out! I had H-Techs on my 4th gen and IMO they're great over minor bumps and smooth roads (because they're soft) but over every large bump they bottom out (because they're too soft for the drop).

I think maybe some people get confused by the term "bottoming out". When talking about suspension on the Org, it refers to the strut reaching the end of its travel, not the car physically hitting the ground. You probably realize that but just in case.... When the suspension bottoms out it's just a rough thud/crash; you might not realize it at first.

The H-Techs have a bad rap because Irish44j, 5th gen handling guru, tried them and hated them compared to Eibachs and other springs. He knows what he's talking about and my 4th gen experience agrees with his.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM

VQuick, thanks for clearing up the terminology. I'm still not convinced that I have bottomed out with my H-techs (unless I had been bottoming out with my stock springs). When I go over large potholes, it's rougher but doesn't feel too different than going over them with my stock suspension.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Chassis Freak

Having the struts set stiffer will help prevent bottoming out but over larger bumps it's going to be unavoidable with any lowering spring that's not really stiff. You only have about 1.5" of compression travel with a 1.5-2.0" drop in front, so every time the suspension compresses that much it hits the end. This is the reason I switched back to full lenth bumpstops (I had only cut the front) with my H-Techs, to slow down the last inch or so of travel to effectively make for a stiffer spring rate. With cut bumpstops I was bottoming out hard. I recently switched to Boss Chen coilovers...4+ inches of travel, much better over the big bumps.

Also, I highly HIGHLY recommend SFCs to make your car more solid. 5th gen group deal just started yesterday.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im looking to drop my 02 but I want adjustability. I think coilovers are a huge pain. Anyone runing an airbag kit. if so what brand and let me know if you have had good luck with it.. I only found one kit so far on justbagit.com..
Old 04-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Chassis Freak

If you don't care about handling, I guess you could do airbags. You won't find much info about them on the Org but go for it.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:22 AM

i think the decision between coilovers or springs is a personal choice
Old 05-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Air Suspension

So i been poking around this thread abit, i havent seen much info on air ride stuff for the 5th gen, airbagit.com has several kits that would be nice to drop for show level for cruising etc, anyone have pics of air ride kits on there cars ? and how much it cost ? I really love the plug and play system from that website, if anyone has info or links that i missed please let me know.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

Any one famaliar with this site??

http://www.allsprings.com/

i was thinking about purchasing my H&R Springs from them

check it out https://secure11.nexternal.com/share...unt2=997703194

also there is something a bit funny....if you add the 5th gen H&R springs to the cart, and click on the link to the left that reads " EDIT SHIPPING AND SALES TAX" , put in your zip code....and then click continue. There is an option there that says UPS NEXT DAY AIR SAVER???? AND ITS FREE!

Does this seem to good to be true....H&R springs for 213 EVEN...if some one has had experience with them before please let me know so i can just get my springs from TIRE RACK

thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

hey could any one with H&R's tell me how low they trimmed their bumpstops in the fronts and rears.....Im just looking to gauge HOW low i should trim them...I WAS GONNA Do 1/2 INCH IN THE FRONT AND REAR

THANKS!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:32 PM

idea

we have a pic thread, we have a drop thread. can we get a drooped pic thread, with specs???? pleeeeease.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Banned

hey could any one with H&R's tell me how low they trimmed their bumpstops in the fronts and rears.....Im just looking to gauge HOW low i should trim them...I WAS GONNA Do 1/2 INCH IN THE FRONT AND REAR

THANKS!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trurida18

THANKS!
As far as I know, the instructions on how to trim the bump stops should be included with the springs.

You might also find some good info here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=291334

In case you are still stuck, it might be a good idea to PM someone who actually has H&R. Most people will be glad to help you if you ask them directly. Just make sure that you are indeed stuck and can not find out the answer on your own.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 PM

i have tokiko adjustable struts that drop it an inch they r awsome
Old 07-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrKlop
As far as I know, the instructions on how to trim the bump stops should be included with the springs.

You might also find some good info here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=291334

In case you are still stuck, it might be a good idea to PM someone who actually has H&R. Most people will be glad to help you if you ask them directly. Just make sure that you are indeed stuck and can not find out the answer on your own.
mannnnnn, lol ive been through every single page in that thread. I guess ill have to sift through it once more and pick out the gues who stated they have H&R and PM eeach and every one of them

thanks though bro , i appreciate the input..i am indeed stuck..ive been holding on to my suspension setup for the 5 weeks trying to determine whether to cut the bumpstops or not. The only reason im real cautious is that i dont wanna say "F THE BUMP stops and go have them installed with my suspension" and then regret it later on...As im not the one who is doing the install...Im paying the family mechanic to do it, 200 bucks + my outer tie rods for all four shocks installed. On that note i dont wanna find out that i should have cut the bumpstops then ill have to turn around and have the guy redo all the work he just did, and install some cut bumpstops...i know hes gonna charge me less money, but i prefer to have it done right the first time.........you know? and lately has been my best friend

"NOT TO MENTION" because i have a 2001 maxima, im not even sure if i have that orange foam piece inside the rear's. I ordered some bumpstops from dave b OEM of course......and im stuck as to wheather or not the rears are the right bumpstops because i hear the 2002 has its bumpstops built into the dustboots.

and the documentation that came with the H&R springs said nothing about trimming bumpstops...they had info on how much to do it for other cars...but not the maxima
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM

your thoughts

spring strut combo, or coilover

i am an everyday driver, city, highway, on and off ramps, long and short distances.

i wanna do it once, and correct.

pros and cons besides ride height adjustment?

also i am a copier tech, many heavy goodies in the trunk
Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jesse1020
i have tokiko adjustable struts that drop it an inch they r awsome
which ones would those be?
illuminas? because they dont lower your ride height... they just adjust the stiffness on the ride.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by babyboyws6
which ones would those be?
illuminas? because they dont lower your ride height... they just adjust the stiffness on the ride.

yes your right, they are indeed Tokico Illumina's
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM

question being what springs do you have on your car that lowered it. and if you have stock springs, god help your poor soul because after a few miles... u'll regret it
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

question being what springs do you have on your car that lowered it. and if you have stock springs, god help your poor soul because after a few miles... u'll regret it
who me? im still riding on stock right now.ive been holding my suspension setup for a month now trying to find the right answer as to weather i should cut the bumstops 1/2 inch or just leave em alone BTW...ive got Illumina's and H&R springs, with a Stillen Strut bar, and Stillen Rear Sway bar. When i get the right answer ima have it all done at once
Old 07-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am running 20's on my 2002 SE Max and I am looking to do some supension work on it. Do anyone know if I will have any problems with scubbing if I lower it.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the good stuff, definately going to change how i make my mods.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:50 AM

Thanks For The Gr8 Info
Old 07-28-2007, 07:48 PM

anyone running s-tech / illumina combo?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CraigsMax01
anyone running s-tech / illumina combo?
Some people do... Check the links in the first post.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Se w/ Eibach's & Tokico Illumina's

I am running Eibach springs with Tokico Illumina's and my '02 SE handles nice. Cornering is so much better than stock. It is a great everyday driving set up and looks so much better with the 18" rims. Check out pics at:
Old 08-17-2007, 06:19 AM

Puppet.. how much did you cut your bumpstops????.... i was thinking a little less than 1/2 inch.
I plan on getting some progress springs/ illuminas and i have been reading this thread... i will see how your 2/3 setting feels when i get them.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Puppet.. how much did you cut your bumpstops????.... i was thinking a little less than 1/2 inch.
I plan on getting some progress springs/ illuminas and i have been reading this thread... i will see how your 2/3 setting feels when i get them.
If you're talking to me, I didn't cut my bumpstops. If you look around at what I've posted in the past, I've always said cutting was unnecessary (for me) because roads around here are good for the most part.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM

okay so i have some s-techs/illuminas and haven't istalled them yet. I was wondering how much on average it cost to have a shop install them for me?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM

Harsh ride with Illumina/Maxspeed combo

I loved the AGX/KYB with Maxspeed combo on my 96 max. On the forum, the Illuminas seemed to be more popular, so I recently put these on my 02 Max with Maxspeed springs.

I had them installed, so I have not adjusted them from original setting. I also put on G35 18" wheels with 235/40 tires (Kuhmo SPT).

The wheel gap is nil, and I don't bottom very easily, but the ride is very HARSH with even small abrupt bumps.

Is this just the nature of the beast, or should I adjust my struts (don't know what factory setting is). Do I need 45 series tires? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Chassis Freak

Set all four struts to 1 or 2, it will make for a much more comfortable ride. I'm guessing yours are set high. You just need to pop the hood and trunk and use a very small flathead screwdriver.

I think with a 5th gen you might not be able to reach the rears without taking out the suspension, which is incredibly annoying if true.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 PM

Adjusting Illuminas?

Thanks for the info.

Can anyone confirm whether the rears on my 2002 SE can be adjusted without disassembling the suspension?????

Any other recs for settings on F/R for a less harsh ride??

TIA
Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Chassis Freak

Check the FAQs/How-Tos in the 5th gen forum...it's definitely covered in there. You could also do a quick forum search (free Google search via Search link at top) and find your answer.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM

how long does it usually take for the springs to settle down. I've heard of people talking about there springs settling down. Also how far do they usually settle down.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Suspension Thread