5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:41 PM

New Engine??

So i go into my service provider from Nissan who I always go to ..We chat for awhile about stuff and I tell him so issues on wheel bearing. He says no problem, hooks me up with a rental. this guy is awesome. so anyways, then he says to me...hey you want a new engine...what!?!?! are you serious?? i say. hes's says yeah brand new..we will put it in free of charge..

my engine runs like a kitten, purrs beautifully, only 49,000 miles on it. So I am going crazy thinking why would he offer me a brand new engine!!! for my 2002 nissan maxima se. I mean we have a good relationship.

is he just being nice? whats the deal? Is there a engine issue i dont know about right now?? well anyways lets hear your opinions and I will keep you updated..I am going to talk to him tommorow on more of the details of this.

till then...
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

man find out properly no one just offers an engine worth over a good grand find out the specifics and if its legit go for it but dont take him for granted
Old 01-18-2006, 10:51 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=451284
From earlier today
Old 01-18-2006, 10:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

Take it but don't have them install it..Keep your 49k in there.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 PM

Come to think of it. Pinging is on of the reasons I took my car in. But I do not drive my car very hard at all. So maybe the pinging is the reason he is offering me the engine. So what exactly is the pinging issues?

Anyways I will update later on the results.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
yeah that was the dummy
Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by rchun08
So i go into my service provider from Nissan who I always go to ..We chat for awhile about stuff and I tell him so issues on wheel bearing. He says no problem, hooks me up with a rental. this guy is awesome. so anyways, then he says to me...hey you want a new engine...what!?!?! are you serious?? i say. hes's says yeah brand new..we will put it in free of charge..

my engine runs like a kitten, purrs beautifully, only 49,000 miles on it. So I am going crazy thinking why would he offer me a brand new engine!!! for my 2002 nissan maxima se. I mean we have a good relationship.

is he just being nice? whats the deal? Is there a engine issue i dont know about right now?? well anyways lets hear your opinions and I will keep you updated..I am going to talk to him tommorow on more of the details of this.

till then...
I would find out why they want to replace it first. They might be doing it to make money.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:57 AM
It's business time.

What were you wearing?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 AM
THIS IS...

Originally Posted by Progress
What were you wearing?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:43 PM

So my car will be in the shop for about a 1week and a half..meantime they are providing me with a altima loaner..

new engine here I come!!!..awesome!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Driving is the next best thing

seriously, take the engine and keep your old one in. If they need you sig (to make it look like they actually did the job) let them have it.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:04 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Nissan usually doesn't call back old engines that are repleaced under warranty. Most likely someone there is looking for a 3.5L engine, and since you came in for some work they just thought- hey why not scam a engine out of this guy's warranty and then sell it to someone else. Or another scenario is, dealership is very slow and has no work- service writer is paid off comission. So by doing a 5K dollar engine job, or whatever it costs for a VQ- hes getting a nice chunk of $$$ off comission. Dealerships are kinda slow in these early days of the new year almost every year... so they try to make $$$ by scaming warranty.

They will not let you have the old engine back, it sits over at Nissan for usually 30 days till Nissan eighter pays the bill- and they can get rid of the engine. Sometimes they will call back the engine depending on the failure. They most likely will say- rattle in engine due to ingested throttle plate screw, and Nissan will not call it back... just my .02- as I know how the system works, I work as a tech for Acura.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:04 PM

Nissan usually doesn't call back old engines that are repleaced under warranty. Most likely someone there is looking for a 3.5L engine, and since you came in for some work they just thought- hey why not scam a engine out of this guy's warranty and then sell it to someone else. Or another scenario is, dealership is very slow and has no work- service writer is paid off comission. So by doing a 5K dollar engine job, or whatever it costs for a VQ- hes getting a nice chunk of $$$ off comission. Dealerships are kinda slow in these early days of the new year almost every year... so they try to make $$$ by scaming warranty.

They will not let you have the old engine back, it sits over at Nissan for usually 30 days till Nissan eighter pays the bill- and they can get rid of the engine. Sometimes they will call back the engine depending on the failure. They most likely will say- rattle in engine due to ingested throttle plate screw, and Nissan will not call it back... just my .02- as I know how the system works, I work as a tech for Acura.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:38 PM

so the new engine is on its way

plus since i got headers and underdrive he is going to install those for 200 bucks since its all coming apart anyway..

Man I am wondering if i should invest in other things to put in since the car is underwork right now

maybe cams or a headgaskets

anyways brand new engine will be in there in 2wks..woohoo!!!!!

ill keep it all posted
Old 01-21-2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by rchun08
my engine runs like a kitten, purrs beautifully, only 49,000 miles on it.
So why are you getting a new engine then? I'm missing something here. If there's nothing wrong with your engine, I'd leave it be. Besides, having a motor that doesn't match the frame would hurt your resale value, wouldn't it? I know I sure as hell would be leery of buying a car that had a replacement engine installed - I'd be asking, "what did this guy do the car that required the entire engine to be replaced?" Which considering this is the finest V6 ever made, should never be necessary.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:55 AM

I've heard of engines being replaced because of the oil consumption problem with the 3.5's. So I can see it happening.

But with Black Bird's observation it makes a lot of sense to me.

I would definitely replace my engine if Infiniti offered though. Couldn't be any worse than the outgoing engine... Unless the installers had no clue what they were doing.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:10 PM

i think blackbird is right...ingested screw causing rattling, warranty work

same engine brand new going in so doesnt hurt my resale, actually makes my car worth another 5-6000 if i wanted to sell it. Buyer would have my paperwork to see I got a brand new engine on warranty. anyways i wont be selling it because I love my max..
Old 01-21-2006, 09:43 PM

so this engine is BRAND NEW ???? ie. 0 km.....??? thats SICK bro...
IMO - the only thing is there is simply no better fitment than STOCK....so you just need to hope that there are no fitment / installation issues with the new engine [even if it is the same 3.5L V-6 model that comes STD] I figure once you take out a complex part like the engine there are so much wires / hoses to reconnect that it just gets risky....but still props i wish i got a new engine :-(
Old 01-22-2006, 01:09 PM

You're gonna regret authorizing a warranty engine replacement...Its a reman engine, when you get your receipt you'll see a "R" in the part # of the BARE ENGINE-ASSY, your car will not perform like it did before, and you need to break-in your motor again.
Yes warranty is commission to a service writer, but most techs lose out on warranty work 'time' so who knows.
Enjoy your new motor.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by nismo_star
...... but most techs lose out on warranty work 'time' so who knows....
While this is usually true. Even if a job took me 12 hours and warranty would only pay me for 11 I would still want the work seeing as how it's the middle of January.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:42 PM

If it's not broken, dont fix it!

If it's not broken, dont fix it!

Like someone else said, yo'll have to brake it in again!

I'm not sure what car you have but if he wants to do a swap, go wih a bigger bore! Let nissan pay for what it would cost to put a new engine in, and you pay for the rest (aftermarket internals),,,,,,,,,,,,,,of corse it's $$$$$$$$$ but if your doing the swap, then make some power of it!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:58 PM

I would have to agree with spdfreak...
..but Since it'll probably already be assembled maybe you should just do a H//I combo. (Head/Intake)...Odds are you the intake is probably sitting at the dealership and was never sent away...In that case I would ask for it back and have it ported/polished since concensus is the stock intake is good anyways..

At first when you posted this
"plus since i got headers and underdrive he is going to install those for 200 bucks since its all coming apart anyway..."
I wondered why in the hell are they charging you 3 1/4 hours labor to put something on that they would have to put on anyways???...Then I thought...Well, If there getting an engine for you this shouldn't surprise me..

They shouldn't charge you extra $$$ for installing a factory ported/polished or aftermarket intake.....Cam and heads they will might if they get an assembled long block from warranty....At anyrate if it's a short block do the H/C/I if they get in a longblock I would do H/I...IMO.

Going to edit this a bit...After thinking about it, I wouldn't really want a maxima loobing around town.. I would say just go with a decent valve job, and head/intake port and polish.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 AM

got my car back with new engine

update: the car is back with a brand new engine. I looked at the receipt and it does not have a R in the front like Blackbird suggested. It is brand new and it is fully covered for another 60,000 miles..So my car engine is covered till 109,000 miles...Awesome!!!! Still breaking it in..

to my disappointment, they did not put in my headers or UDP because the tech is a wuss and did not want to. He is **** and did not want to remove the precats. Oh well his lose, I was going to give him 200 bucks. Either way I know I can get it done somewhere else for a decent price.

Car is running excellent!!! Also I had then redo my clutch since the labor was free for 300 bucks..

overall I am a happy maxima owner right now!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Hopefuly, no Nissan corporate people browse this forum or that service writer might have to answer some tough questions.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:01 PM

As you can see I did not mention which nissan dealer I go to. So no prob there.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Seems like a waste of time, energy and materials. But it didn't come out of my pocket so I don't care. My opinion is that it seems as if you are on the losing end in this endeavor because now your headers aren't on anymore.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Lucky!!! I would take it
Old 02-09-2006, 02:10 PM

I would take it also, especially if its covered, new, and free ...like he said he can always take it somewhere to have his heads put back on...cant complain about this issue if he has the money for it which he said he does
Old 02-09-2006, 02:31 PM
vsamoylov

i would take the engine, but not let them install it ... and threeple-check EVERYTHING after the job is done.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:33 PM

He cant just take the new engine and keep the old one in the car. If Nissan where to call the engine back to investigate what really happened- the dealership would be in BIG trouble over a such LARGE expensse. I bet someone would get **** canned that very same day.

Also Nissan doesn't ship you a complete engine, you have to swap over intake manifolds (upper and lowers) fuel rails, exhaust manifolds etc. All you really get is a block and heads with a long block.

I just finished a engine on a RSX Type S today, and I had to assemble everything from scratch- but the actuall bottom end. The head had to be all assembled, valves adjusted, and timing chain with tensioners installed. I didn't have to install pistons, rods or bearings as that is already installed. Honda doesn't sell a complete long block like Nissan does, and I don't mind as the RSX paid me 20 hours to put togheter and it took a full day of work to do it.

Here is a tip for ya- don't have Jiffy Lube type of places do oil changes on your car, or you will end up in the same situation this customer of mine did with his RSX- drain plug fell out on the highway.