5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How do you get the VIAS box off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you get the VIAS box off?

I read the stickies and was going to try the JB fix but i cant seem to get the box off, im trying tomorrow with a screwdriver bit and breaker bar but those things are on there TIGHT- also what about the bottom two screws, i remember someone saying they didnt need to move the TB to get it out but i cant see a way of doing that without taking off the throttle body, and some hoses that are in the way of the other bottom screw. If anybody has pics or anything thatd be appreciated- thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 06:05 AM
I Know Kwaliti

I did not take the TB off when I did it, though I did read of some members doing it that way, I found it unnecessary... Some have used wise-grips to take the screws out. I used a large Phillips screwdriver (I think it is #2, it was the largest in the set )...
Old 02-07-2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
I read the stickies and was going to try the JB fix but i cant seem to get the box off, im trying tomorrow with a screwdriver bit and breaker bar but those things are on there TIGHT- also what about the bottom two screws, i remember someone saying they didnt need to move the TB to get it out but i cant see a way of doing that without taking off the throttle body, and some hoses that are in the way of the other bottom screw. If anybody has pics or anything thatd be appreciated- thanks

Do you even know if it IS broken?? IF you search around there are ways to find out if the rod is broken or if it is fine without removing the VIAS.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

no need to take the TB off to remove the screws.. the screws are tight as hell and are a pain. Get the longet baddest screw driver available to do it the screws are like cheese so be careful....... you can also use some vicegrips to finish it. I did....
Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 PM

Yeah from reading the FAQ's and other peoples questions i just wanted to see what was goin on in there and try the JB fix- i'm almost 100% sure its broke, theres a power drop off after 5-5500 rpm's and it doesnt feel worth shifting higher than 5k, like a waste to wind it out all the way.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:24 PM

man i had some trouble. stripped some screws. i went to nissan for my intake, saw the work i did with disconnecting a few wires - they almost didn't let me leave. Theres FUEL around there!! Could ignite and BOOM!! luckily it was on tight enough fixed a few things but I AINT MESSIN WIT MY VIAS!! After about 5500 im lowered power but higher gears DO me fine. Nissan senior tech suggested DONT mess with the VIAS!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Do you even know if it IS broken?? IF you search around there are ways to find out if the rod is broken or if it is fine without removing the VIAS.
How to find is it broken or not ?
Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by rule da road
man i had some trouble. stripped some screws. i went to nissan for my intake, saw the work i did with disconnecting a few wires - they almost didn't let me leave. Theres FUEL around there!! Could ignite and BOOM!! luckily it was on tight enough fixed a few things but I AINT MESSIN WIT MY VIAS!! After about 5500 im lowered power but higher gears DO me fine. Nissan senior tech suggested DONT mess with the VIAS!

Fuel in VIAS, what the hell did you do?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:17 PM

Anybody can answer my question ?
How to find is VIAS borken or not
Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 08:49 PM

yeah, fuel? whats up with that?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by YuAnChen
Anybody can answer my question ?
How to find is VIAS borken or not
Thanks

Still waiting for my question getting answered

Thanks
Old 02-25-2006, 08:45 PM

dyno run.........
Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by igzy
I did not take the TB off when I did it, though I did read of some members doing it that way, I found it unnecessary... Some have used wise-grips to take the screws out. I used a large Phillips screwdriver (I think it is #2, it was the largest in the set )...
I only loosened the TB and you are correct with the #2 Phillips screwdriver. I used the Visegrips on the HANDLE of the screwdriver while applying lots of pressure into the end of the screwdriver without harming any of the screws.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:54 PM

Well in the process of stripping one of my screws, i decided to actually look at the friggin thing. car was already warm so i started it up and pulled the throttle cable and i saw the solenoid and metal bar thing move back and forth twice when the engine revved real high, is that a definite that its working or is it true the cup and rotator assembly inside is what fails?

I'm wondering cause i'm not really impressed with the top end most of the time, from what i hear the 3.0 with manual should have a pretty impressive top end
Old 02-25-2006, 11:11 PM

Don't mind my dumb question, but whats a VIAS box ?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:58 AM
THIS IS...

Variable Intake Air System. It lets more air into your engine at around 5K for a nice power boost. Its the Hallmark of the VQ engine.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Do these VIAS things break a lot? Seems similar to a vtec controller on a honda and its pretty rare that one of those goes south on you.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Do these VIAS things break a lot? Seems similar to a vtec controller on a honda and its pretty rare that one of those goes south on you.
They do break, proportional with time spent above 5000 rpm.

The VIAS is nothing like a VTEC which varies the cam timing.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:21 PM

So if you rev it alot it breaks???? That kinda sucks...anyone have an article or something they can link me to so I can read about this thing?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Well in the process of stripping one of my screws, i decided to actually look at the friggin thing. car was already warm so i started it up and pulled the throttle cable and i saw the solenoid and metal bar thing move back and forth twice when the engine revved real high, is that a definite that its working or is it true the cup and rotator assembly inside is what fails?

I'm wondering cause i'm not really impressed with the top end most of the time, from what i hear the 3.0 with manual should have a pretty impressive top end
I have a 2K Maxima and I remember it having an impressive top end. I remember liking the Max being better than my old Sentra because when I was doing 60 in the Max I could still accelerate well. Unfortunately those are memories now.

I've been looking at VIAS and MAF threads to see if one of those could bring my memories back to life. It looks like both are supposed to fix the same problem of low top end power. Has anyone done both? Which one gave more impressive results?

Installing a new MAF would be more $ but I think I have a better chance of breaking things that could cost more $$ if I attempt the VIAS mod.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 AM

I know what you mean, it can still accelerate pretty good at 60-70 in 5th just cause its in the powerband but the way a VIAS problem is described around here is a "not strong enough acceleration feel past 5k rpm's" like the car doesnt wanna go anywhere, itll still wind out to 6500 but just feels kind of blah doing so.

Have you read all the threads on MAF's? Mine was done last yr, although i think its going bad again. Was gonna change the plugs cause im at 79k miles and a lot of people here do them at 60, but the service advisor told me they dont need to be done til 100000 mi., which suprised me since they usually take any chance to make some $$. Otherwise i cant think of anything that would affect top end performance
Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 AM

My tach doesn't go above 5K when I accelerate and once it gets there it stays there until I let off the throttle. It isn't that I have sluggish top end, I have NO top end. I'm guessing this is the MAF and not the VIAS.

I've got 85K on my Max and I still have factory plugs. I think that will be a summer project. It is just too cold out now!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cdoc
My tach doesn't go above 5K when I accelerate and once it gets there it stays there until I let off the throttle. It isn't that I have sluggish top end, I have NO top end. I'm guessing this is the MAF and not the VIAS.

I've got 85K on my Max and I still have factory plugs. I think that will be a summer project. It is just too cold out now!
Plugs alone shouldn't keep the car from revving but plugs + maf might

Is a plug change difficult on these cars?