5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

steering wheel controls

Does your steering wheel controls illuminate at night ?
Mine don't.
If they do, how do I fix?
Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 09:33 AM

Mine dont on an 01
Old 02-09-2006, 10:19 AM

They aren't supposed to light up. Just memorize the keys like the rest of us do. It's not that hard...
Old 02-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hard or not it is a poor design. I came from a Denali that had lighted steering wheel controls, and much more user friendly I might add. The only thing in teh Denali you cant do is change the cd in the cd changer, other than that all functionality is accessible. Why no seek functionality? I fint it a major PITA.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mungo
Hard or not it is a poor design. I came from a Denali that had lighted steering wheel controls, and much more user friendly I might add. The only thing in teh Denali you cant do is change the cd in the cd changer, other than that all functionality is accessible. Why no seek functionality? I fint it a major PITA.
Well the point of steering wheel controls is so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road when changing radio or volume. If you have to look down at the controls, than isn't that defeating the whole purpose? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole purpose of the controls.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:45 AM

That is exactly what I was going to say TXT.

Regarding the seek, holding down the button that changes the channel/track for a few seconds and releasing will initiate a seek if listening to the radio or change the disk if you have a changer. Perhaps it will seek through the track if you just have a single disk, but I'm not sure. Not sure how often I would want to seek through a song anyway.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 AM

Part of the reason may be to keep your eyes on the road but certainly user convenience drives Nissan's decision. If they were that concerned about us keeping our eyes on the road then the climate controls should be on the wheel and not the cruise control. How often do you change the temp vs fan output compared to cruise control.

If they can light up the ashtray and cig lighter then the least they can do is light the steering wheel controls. Check all the 'nice' cars and you'll see that the controls are lighted. I havent had my max that long, days in fact, so that is part of the reason I miss the lighted buttons. I will get used to the placement. Regardless, no seek functionality blows.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
dkp
Newbie - Just Registered

I can seek radio stations in my 2002 using the steering wheel controls, you have to hold down either the up or down arrows buttons.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by zagzig
Not sure how often I would want to seek through a song anyway.
I am talking about seek with the radio. Does this work for the radio? If so I wasnt aware and would be very happy if this is the case.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:49 AM

Alright, I stand corrected! I am happy I am worng. I hadnt realized that there was seek for the radio. My only grip then is the lighting and again that is becuase the car is new to me. Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks guys
Old 02-09-2006, 04:47 PM

Alright, I stand corrected! I am happy I am worng. I hadnt realized that there was seek for the radio. My only grip then is the lighting and again that is becuase the car is new to me. Thanks guys.
RTFM - read the frickin' manual!! You probably also don't know that you can roll the windows down with your key fob...
Old 02-09-2006, 05:33 PM

Yes, I do know you can put down the driver and passenger front windows by holding down the the unlock button. I know this from my 99 Maxima. That maxima did not have steering wheel controls and this maxima didnt come with a frickin manual (as you put it..) so reading it right now could be a challenge. Would you like to lend me yours until I get one?

There are always forums with people who genuinely want to help and then others whose only contribution is to try to flame people. To those that want to help out a newbie thank you, to those 'flamers'
Old 02-10-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan SE-R
RTFM - read the frickin' manual!! You probably also don't know that you can roll the windows down with your key fob...

I didn't know that!
Old 02-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Cletus

Yes, I do know you can put down the driver and passenger front windows by holding down the the unlock button. I know this from my 99 Maxima. That maxima did not have steering wheel controls and this maxima didnt come with a frickin manual (as you put it..) so reading it right now could be a challenge. Would you like to lend me yours until I get one?

There are always forums with people who genuinely want to help and then others whose only contribution is to try to flame people. To those that want to help out a newbie thank you, to those 'flamers'
yes flamers are annoying...almost as bad as new people starting stuff before people get to know them. just deal with it.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Seoul Man

It might be nice if the buttons were illuminated, but there aren't that many buttons on the steering wheel audio control panel, and the buttons are placed in a rather intuitive order. The big up and down buttons skip cd tracks or change cds (if you hold them down). The small up and down buttons are for volume. The small center button switches sources (cd, radio). The large center button goes through your trip computer modes.

After a while, you'll just be able to use them by touch, and it wouldn't matter even if they were illuminated.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:38 AM

Yes, I do know you can put down the driver and passenger front windows by holding down the the unlock button. I know this from my 99 Maxima. That maxima did not have steering wheel controls and this maxima didnt come with a frickin manual
You can download the owner's manual.
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...p?dept%5Fid=37

Anticipating the next question: no, you cannot disable the annoying RDS feature of the Bose radio.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the link. Thats a big help although most of the things with car are pretty intuitive, its just the things that I wouldnt have thought of. i.e. holding down the up/down button.

The RDS doesnt bother me too much. I was impressed that it could show the CD name and track. I wish it would show the track name at the beginning of the song and then return to the time display. Now I played with it and gave it time so I am pretty sure it doesnt to that.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 PM
OU > *

At least you guys have controls that work....mine suck a$$.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by S00NR1
At least you guys have controls that work....mine suck a$$.
Come here my friend
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=447115