5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How much hp is a Maxima suppose to put out in dyno testing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 10:13 AM

I don't remember who I heard it from but I was under the impression that a Maxima (AE) is suppose to put out 190 hp to the wheels (crank being 227). I've seen people here at the forum getting between 173 and 185. Is this good?

How effective is the GTech in checking out hp? Has anyone tried it? How is it done and what are your results? I'm getting 135 hp (probably I'm doing something wrong)
Old 06-10-2001, 11:13 AM
Got Bent?

Stock 5th gen autos have dyno'd between 165 and 175 hp at the wheels. Stock 5th gen 5sp's have dyno'd between 180 and 190 hp to the wheels. Getting only 135 from a gtech sounds strange.....either something is not right with your car, or the g-tech isn't taking the correct measurements.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by bramirez
I don't remember who I heard it from but I was under the impression that a Maxima (AE) is suppose to put out 190 hp to the wheels (crank being 227). I've seen people here at the forum getting between 173 and 185. Is this good?

How effective is the GTech in checking out hp? Has anyone tried it? How is it done and what are your results? I'm getting 135 hp (probably I'm doing something wrong)
bramirez, what is your g-tech giving you for 0-60mph measurements? Does your maxima still appear to be substandard? Just out of interest, what is your elevation?
Old 06-10-2001, 05:30 PM

Man, if he's really only putting out 135hp, he must live in Calgary!!! Sorry BlackAE, but I had to say it!

BTW, my auto AE put down 174hp with a JWT POP intake, Unorthodox Racing UDP and a 2.5" catback. I think 160-165 sounds about right for a stock auto 5gen.
Old 06-10-2001, 05:40 PM

the g-tech is not accurate with the horse power in front wheel drive cars so everything besides horsepower should still be accurate though
Old 06-10-2001, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Desert Pearl
Man, if he's really only putting out 135hp, he must live in Calgary!!! Sorry BlackAE, but I had to say it!
We'll see whose laughing when I personally uncover the great Canadian Maxima horse rustling conspiracy and Nissan replaces my vehicle with a new 2002 model to keep me quiet on the issue.
Old 06-10-2001, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by BlackAE

bramirez, what is your g-tech giving you for 0-60mph measurements? Does your maxima still appear to be substandard? Just out of interest, what is your elevation?
I don't think my elevation is that high. I'm in Toronto (Canada).

My time with the GTech is 7.5 secs(Average) -Best: 7.33-

When I kept the clutch down and reved the car a few times (up to 6000 rpm) and then let it go I got 6.88 secs. I just learned that today. This guy I met at a dealer mentioned something like it charges the torque. I don't remember his exact explanation but it certainly helped. I am happy with the output of my car but I am still confused why I got smoked by a 2000 SE when I went to the Nissan dealer (btw, we both got off the start even and in first gear, after about 30 km/h, he left me behind). The guy at the dealer said everything in the car was stock. This car must be doing 0-60 in low 6s.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by WILLSE
the g-tech is not accurate with the horse power in front wheel drive cars so everything besides horsepower should still be accurate though
What does the y-pipe, high flow air intake and UDP do? Please explain or make reference to where I can learn what each one of these things do independantly. Does it improve 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs? What are your best times for 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
Old 06-11-2001, 05:59 AM
Got Bent?

What does the y-pipe, high flow air intake and UDP do? Please explain or make reference to where I can learn what each one of these things do independantly. Does it improve 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs? What are your best times for 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
I would suggest checking out the main FAQ, the sticky thread, or doing a search for more information.

y-pipe: the pipe the goes from the exhaust manifolds to the cat. The stock unit is restrictive due to the pre-cats and bends. An aftermarket pipe eliminates the pre-cats and provides better exhaust flow. All yielding more hp.

intake: Provides more air into the engine. This also increases hp and throttle response.

UDP: underdrive pulley. This is the crankshaft pulley that controls the car's accessories. By using a larger pulley, less power is transferred from the engine to the accessories. More power is available to the engine.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:35 AM

Horses disappear in Calgary

I don't think my elevation is that high. I'm in Toronto (Canada).

My time with the GTech is 7.5 secs(Average) -Best: 7.33-

When I kept the clutch down and reved the car a few times (up to 6000 rpm) and then let it go I got 6.88 secs. I just learned that today. This guy I met at a dealer mentioned something like it charges the torque. I don't remember his exact explanation but it certainly helped. I am happy with the output of my car but I am still confused why I got smoked by a 2000 SE when I went to the Nissan dealer (btw, we both got off the start even and in first gear, after about 30 km/h, he left me behind). The guy at the dealer said everything in the car was stock. This car must be doing 0-60 in low 6s.
Sometimes my engine just doesn't pull the way I know it can and I have no obvious explanation. It seems like our maximas have good days and bad days (even good moments and bad moments). Figuring out the exact reason is beyond my abilities. Maybe you just had a bad day when racing the 2000 SE. With an auto you'd expect my performance to be relatively consistant but it isn't. With a standard, performance would probably be even more inconsistant.

Anyway, I just talked to a racing shop in Calgary and they said that in Calgary they typically lose about 90hp from their V8's. Based on this, it is safe to say that I'm probably losing 30hp or more. The guy I talked to said this could very well account for my 9-10 second 0-60 times.

I don't know if you read in my post "My maxima is normal after all..." what the Nissan technician said about gaining 20hp or so after the engine is broken in (i.e. 25000km). If the 2000 SE was broken in, and your AE isn't, perhaps that could account for the differance you guys noted.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

I would suggest checking out the main FAQ, the sticky thread, or doing a search for more information.

y-pipe: the pipe the goes from the exhaust manifolds to the cat. The stock unit is restrictive due to the pre-cats and bends. An aftermarket pipe eliminates the pre-cats and provides better exhaust flow. All yielding more hp.

intake: Provides more air into the engine. This also increases hp and throttle response.

UDP: underdrive pulley. This is the crankshaft pulley that controls the car's accessories. By using a larger pulley, less power is transferred from the engine to the accessories. More power is available to the engine.
UMD_MaxSE's descriptions are good, except for the UDP. He meant to say "... By using a smaller pulley, ..."

bramirez, you have a stick right? If that's the case, revving your engine before launching it does nothing but waste fuel. He's probably referring to brake-torquing, which is for us auto guys with torque converters.

Also, that 2000SE may have been a Federal emissions model. That could account for the difference in performance.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:54 PM
Got Bent?

UMD_MaxSE's descriptions are good, except for the UDP. He meant to say "... By using a smaller pulley, ..."
doh! my bad.....the UDP is a smaller pulley. I guess I was typing too fast....thanks for the correction.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

doh! my bad.....the UDP is a smaller pulley. I guess I was typing too fast....thanks for the correction.
<whispering>... Pssssssst... UMD... Just delete your previous post, I'll delete my last two posts, and you can modify your initial post... nobody will know the difference. <whispering off>
Old 06-11-2001, 09:53 PM

Re: Horses disappear in Calgary

Sometimes my engine just doesn't pull the way I know it can and I have no obvious explanation. It seems like our maximas have good days and bad days (even good moments and bad moments). Figuring out the exact reason is beyond my abilities. Maybe you just had a bad day when racing the 2000 SE. With an auto you'd expect my performance to be relatively consistant but it isn't. With a standard, performance would probably be even more inconsistant.

Anyway, I just talked to a racing shop in Calgary and they said that in Calgary they typically lose about 90hp from their V8's. Based on this, it is safe to say that I'm probably losing 30hp or more. The guy I talked to said this could very well account for my 9-10 second 0-60 times.

I don't know if you read in my post "My maxima is normal after all..." what the Nissan technician said about gaining 20hp or so after the engine is broken in (i.e. 25000km). If the 2000 SE was broken in, and your AE isn't, perhaps that could account for the differance you guys noted.
I agree with good and bad days for teh maxima. My dodge shadow also had it's good and bad days as well. I guess it's all cars. But anyways, by the comments made on this post I was wondering if elevation has an effect on a cars performance?
Old 06-12-2001, 12:53 AM

Re: Re: Horses disappear in Calgary

Originally posted by Menacer

I agree with good and bad days for teh maxima. My dodge shadow also had it's good and bad days as well. I guess it's all cars. But anyways, by the comments made on this post I was wondering if elevation has an effect on a cars performance?
Yes, that's why it keeps coming up in this thread. If you'd like to see how much of a difference it makes, check out the following link:

http://members.home.net/rabeveridge/html/about_hc2.html
Old 06-12-2001, 12:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Kevin(Y2kevSE)'s car pulled down 181hps with CAI, y-pipe, stillen muffler and UDP...his is auto.

my car pulled down almost 200hps(198.7) with Stillen intake and y-pipe.

we both dynoed at the Stillen.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:02 AM
Got Bent?

<whispering>... Pssssssst... UMD... Just delete your previous post, I'll delete my last two posts, and you can modify your initial post... nobody will know the difference. <whispering off>
it's ok.....our post count will go down if we do that
Old 06-12-2001, 07:40 AM

Re: Horses disappear in Calgary

What the Nissan technician said maybe true (about the 25,000). Maybe if you brake torque properly you may get less time in 0-60. Definately get a GTech. With my GTech I just got 6.75s 0-60 this morning. Mind you, I was in just a tad bit of a slant downwards. In a straigt my best time has been 6.88s