5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear clunking

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:37 AM
It's business time.

Rear clunking

I just had H-techs and Illuminas installed and I'm having clunking sounds in the rear when I go over bumps. I'm not talking about pot holes, rather large pavement irregularities where the whole rear is going up and down. The odd thing is that I was hearing this sound before the installation. I figured it was blown rear shocks, they were blown, but clearly that wasn't the sole problem. Sometimes the clunk can be felt and transmitted through to the middle of the cabin. Also, it is often several clunks. Like "clu clu clunk!"

Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by Progress
I just had H-techs and Illuminas installed and I'm having clunking sounds in the rear when I go over bumps. I'm not talking about pot holes, rather large pavement irregularities where the whole rear is going up and down. The odd thing is that I was hearing this sound before the installation. I figured it was blown rear shocks, they were blown, but clearly that wasn't the sole problem. Sometimes the clunk can be felt and transmitted through to the middle of the cabin. Also, it is often several clunks. Like "clu clu clunk!"

Any ideas?
I have a similar problem but coming from the front. My mechanic told me that my sway bar bushings are worn without even lifting the the car. I just gave him a ride around the block. I haven't replaced them yet but at least his explanation makes sense...
Old 02-20-2006, 09:19 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by DrKlop
I have a similar problem but coming from the front. My mechanic told me that my sway bar bushings are worn without even lifting the the car. I just gave him a ride around the block. I haven't replaced them yet but at least his explanation makes sense...
I had my FSB end links replaced recently. I guess I can check my RSB to see if the bushings are worn. Hopefully that's the problem as that's an easy fix. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:06 PM
It's business time.

No it's definitely still clunking. The sway bar is on there tight and isn't moving around at all. Any other ideas of what might be making this noise?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:22 PM

No it's definitely still clunking. The sway bar is on there tight and isn't moving around at all. Any other ideas of what might be making this noise?
Maybe there are some other worn bushings...

Do you remember how it started clunking?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:41 PM
retired moderator

you sure the RSB is adjusted correctly and isn't hitting the middle assembly of the axle?

you sure your spare tire is bolted in tightly?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:38 AM
It's business time.

Maybe there are some other worn bushings...

Do you remember how it started clunking?
I don't remember when it started. I know it hasn't been happening too long. I'm not even sure how long the rear shocks were shot. I'd say around 5,000 miles, but that's just a guess. The only thing that I can possibly think it would be would be the exhaust because the rear passenger side hanger of the muffler is worn out. I have a new one to replace it but it's just been too damn cold to do it. That might be it.

Originally Posted by irish44j
you sure the RSB is adjusted correctly and isn't hitting the middle assembly of the axle?

you sure your spare tire is bolted in tightly?
I've had the RSB on for more than a year and a half before the noise started. Possibly the brackets on the trailing arms (or whatever that's called) is loose, but I don't think so. I've wiggled it and it seems like it's on there tightly.

Haha, the spare! Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:01 AM

Check your exhaust clearence where the muffler and bpipe connect. I had the same issue and though it was my shocks but ended up being my exhaust hitting the car. Check to make sure that all the rubber supports for the exhaust are good and dont bounce to hit the car. Check from ypipe all the way back.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 AM

^^^^

Also, take a look to see if the heat sheild is broken. I had that experience the weekend and it made a "bu-bu-bump" sound inside the car (and "ting-ting-ting" with the windows down). Take a look just in front of the gas tank. Mine was completely in two and the small piece hanging from the exhaust hanger was bumping the rest of the exhaust.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by greekmax2k1
Check your exhaust clearence where the muffler and bpipe connect. I had the same issue and though it was my shocks but ended up being my exhaust hitting the car. Check to make sure that all the rubber supports for the exhaust are good and dont bounce to hit the car. Check from ypipe all the way back.
Thanks, I'm hoping that's what it is. I recently had my flange welded back on to my muffler because it broke off and made the exhaust drone. Since then the banging is still there. First I'll put the new hanger on and if that doesn't do it I check closer to the Y-pipe.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

I had clunking noise from the front after I installed my Eibachs. I found out that the top hat bolt wasn't tight.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:51 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Barc
^^^^

Also, take a look to see if the heat sheild is broken. I had that experience the weekend and it made a "bu-bu-bump" sound inside the car (and "ting-ting-ting" with the windows down). Take a look just in front of the gas tank. Mine was completely in two and the small piece hanging from the exhaust hanger was bumping the rest of the exhaust.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Thanks! I'll check that out too.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:57 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Ammi
I had clunking noise from the front after I installed my Eibachs. I found out that the top hat bolt wasn't tight.
It's funny you mention that because on the test drive we did have that problem. Tightened it down and that fixed it. It's not related to the aformentioned clunking, however. Thanks, though.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey progress..its nice to hear that you actually got your springs in!!!! after all them times canceling your appointments to have them put on....i freakin hope that the redline corey guy would send my stuff out today...its taking forever!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:48 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by flipinstyxs
hey progress..its nice to hear that you actually got your springs in!!!! after all them times canceling your appointments to have them put on....i freakin hope that the redline corey guy would send my stuff out today...its taking forever!!!
Call him up and get in his ear. They should have them in stock at the distributor and since it's been over, what two weeks? you should be getting yours soon.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:49 PM

How is the H-tech, lluminas combo working for you, besides the clunking issues?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Any ideas?

well, I sure hope you find out what it is.......and when you do, please tell me!!!!!!!! LOL, mine has been doing it ever since I put my h-techs and Illuminas on, I figured it was my bumpstops, but then realized it was doing it even on bumps I know it didn't bottom out on, this past weekend, I took my rear seat bottom out, removed the black cover going into the trunk, and removed the plates covering the struts so I could make sure the nuts were tightened on the strut mounts. That wasn't the problem, so I'm gonna have to go deeper into the problem as soon as I can, I know I'm not putting it back together till I find the problem though. Love the ride, the bumping is a little annoying though.... I will let you know if I find out what my problem is, but it will be a few more days because of work. good luck
Old 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM

My car had a metal hitting metal noise 2 months ago, and then I realized that the "B" pipe weld broke loose; I welded it and now thers no problem!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:57 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by NUmaxima
How is the H-tech, lluminas combo working for you, besides the clunking issues?
I love it. I was afraid it would be too rough but even with the settings at 5f/4r its great. The car tracks so much better, turn in is a great improvement and less wheel gap!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 AM
It's business time.

Well, I'm pretty certain the sound is the exhaust. For a while now I've noticed my exhaust clunking and my muffler hanging like this:

I noticed the rear driver side rubber hanger was soft and worn. Today I jacked up the muffler, replaced the hanger and when I let the jack down the muffler assumed it's hanging position. This leads me to believe something is broken or loose sooner down the exhaust line. I'm taking my car in for other repairs Monday so they might be able to figure this out as well.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:55 AM

Mine looked exactly the same. 99.9(9) % that your muffler is about to break off right behind the flange.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:21 AM
It's business time.

Mine looked exactly the same. 99.9(9) % that your muffler is about to break off right behind the flange.
That already happened in December. I had it rewelding back on.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i be watching this mine does the same thing!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:14 PM

just finished taking my rear shocks off and cutting the bumpstops. After I reinstalled them the clunking is still there. I tightened the top hat bolt too, so its not that. GOnna empty my trunk out tomorrow, hopefully find something there, I looked underneath the car, didn't see anything......sigh. Hate stuff like this....
Old 02-25-2006, 02:28 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by BRINKLEY
just finished taking my rear shocks off and cutting the bumpstops. After I reinstalled them the clunking is still there. I tightened the top hat bolt too, so its not that. GOnna empty my trunk out tomorrow, hopefully find something there, I looked underneath the car, didn't see anything......sigh. Hate stuff like this....
I think my exhaust is hanging loose toward the middle of the car. I took a hose clamp and tightened the rubber hanger as much as I could. The muffler hangs straight and tight now but there still is clunking toward the middle of the car. I'm guess my exhaust is hanging loose and is rubbing on a cross member or something else. Did you look at how your exhaust is hanging?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:31 PM

i have that same problem. the exhaust hanger is off the exhaust pipe in the middle of the car. i just put a hose clamp around the exhaust pipe and tie wires from the clap to that rubber hanger. now my max purres like a caddi. make sure you tighten the wire to clamp very tight, so there is the same clearence on both sides of the pipe. it's not hard it took me like 15 minutes.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:39 PM

just to make sure it's the exhaust hanger, jack up you car on the right rear of the car about two feet. get under the car and look at where the right rear wheel is, follow the exhaust pipe right where it gets close to the car chassie, thats where the clanking was coming from on my car.

one more thing, do you hear some kind of vibration from the rear of the car when you excelerate at low RPMs?