5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Comments on this ODB-II scanner? Good/Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:45 AM

Comments on this ODB-II scanner? Good/Bad?

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

I was thinking about getting one. Seems pretty great. Definately cheaper then the $3000 big boy. I contacted them a couple of days ago and they said it does everything I expect it to and comes complete.

Anybody else used one of heard anything on them?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would be really suprised if that can advance timing. Last I heard you need a Consult tool or certain piggyback system.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:03 AM

Well, I wasnt really looking to advance my timing. I just wanted something handy to see if I was pulling any codes now and then.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
Well, I wasnt really looking to advance my timing. I just wanted something handy to see if I was pulling any codes now and then.

Should be fine then... I would just make sure that you dont get a suprise; "ohhh you need a $300 cd for it to work with Nissan's".
Old 02-25-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Should be fine then... I would just make sure that you dont get a suprise; "ohhh you need a $300 cd for it to work with Nissan's".
Already made sure that there wasnt anything hidden like that. There wasnt.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Looks nice. Are you going to run it off of a laptop?
Old 02-25-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nissan SE-R
Looks nice. Are you going to run it off of a laptop?
I was actually going to run it off of a palm unit that I have. I figured it would be more portable that way. I also like how it gives performance readings too.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:59 PM

Wow! They have a bluetooth kit for it. Definately let me know how this works.. I might have to pick it up.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:47 PM

It's good. There are 2 or 3 that are comparible. The autoenquity is defiently one of the better designed ones.
IIRC isn't autoenquity the brand that allows two or three sensors to be read on one graph instead of having to have a spereate graph for each sensor?
Can't remember for sure, but it's one of the three listed on ebay.

If that's the one I'm thinking of it's pretty good.
The only problem with the generic scanners (anything under $2000) is that sometimes it will give a DTC for a vehicle specific code (p1320 for example) then next to it it will say this is an 02 sensor problem when in fact it's a primary ignition system fault.
They also don't have output options, like command the lights on/off etc thru the scanner (Both vehicle specific and general like EGR, etc.)

The autoenquity also has a program for torque and 1/4 times IIRC.
I e-mailed him a while back and he said if we bought 10 we would sell them for $180 a peice including shipping.
(but for that price He wouldn't hook me up with one for free even if I sold 10, so I didn't bother asking...)
I suppose I could afford $180 though..
Yup that's the same one--you can do two sensors on one graph
If anyone else is interested..

1.5thgenmaxima
Transaction would be thru ebay and paypal directly between you and seller.
Serious peeps only..
NOTE: If two or three serious people sign up on this GD I will e-mail him again to verify that price is still good.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Im down if I can get it w/ the BlueTooth mod at the same time, PC version, USB, but I would hope they could do better than $129 for the BT mod. Can you ask pricing on both for me?

I am definately down for one for the PC though -- just not sure if I wana do BT or not.

3. silverx
Old 02-25-2006, 04:47 PM

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
Old 02-25-2006, 05:45 PM

I am down too if you get a bluetooth adaptor for me also.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:51 PM

The blue tooth model is an additional $130.00.(Since he's already taking $70 off the price I don't think he'll take any extra off)...So figure $180.00 + 130.00 for bluetooth. your total would be $310.00..

BTW. the way it would work is after we get 10 I would e-mail him and have him set up the auction. You would then write a comment with your payment on which one you want.
PC, Pocket, PALM, ETC. and if you wanted blue tooth you would send $310 instead of $180.00..
You would also tell him usb or serial....I'm assumming everyone would want a usb plug because it's a gazillion times faster.

If you want on the list just copy/paste it and add your name.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:36 PM

Just a little heads up:

The bluetooth is only available on the serial product.

I don't think USB is going to be any faster. I imagine that they are using a generic serial->usb chipset internally, so your really just getting the same data over serial. The data transfer rate of serial is 110kb/sec.. which is more than you need for an application like this. I doubt there is any speed difference.

That being said, I think I will go with serial because I want to have a carputer, and I dont want to run a usb cable 10 ft to my trunk. I can run serial over cat5..

Not all new laptops have serial though, so USB is probably going to be a more accessable option.

Im 100% in. Why is he running it as an auction though? That seems bizzare. Can he cut another $5 and just have us buy direct? (ebay fees are prob $5 on a 180 sale)

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3. SilverX
Old 02-26-2006, 06:47 AM

Turn around tie on his e-mails seem to be 3 business days so expect a response Wednesday or Thursday sometime.

I'm going to verify that bluetooth is $310 total. I will also ask if serial or usb will be faster when datalogging.
I personally would like to see it kept on ebay that way my **** is covered incase something goes wrong and I never receive my product, but I will ask him if we can set something up through his site and get an additional $5 off.
Personally, I don't like the idea of just sending the $$ thru paypal or money order/etc. without a confirmation of some sort first.-Either thru website or ebay.
I will also verify with him that bluetooth is avail. only thru serial.
If it's only serial I'm pretty sure you can buy a serial to usb adapter/cable for a nominal charge @ radio shack.
He has his own website as well, I assume he's running it as an auction so more people can find his product if they are looking.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Turn around tie on his e-mails seem to be 3 business days so expect a response Wednesday or Thursday sometime.
I have exchanged 3 emails with him this weekend.

I'm going to verify that bluetooth is $310 total. I will also ask if serial or usb will be faster when datalogging.
Same speed.

I personally would like to see it kept on ebay that way my **** is covered incase something goes wrong and I never receive my product, but I will ask him if we can set something up through his site and get an additional $5 off.
Personally, I don't like the idea of just sending the $$ thru paypal or money order/etc. without a confirmation of some sort first.-Either thru website or ebay.
He wont take our creditcards directly?

I will also verify with him that bluetooth is avail. only thru serial.
He told me this was the case.

If it's only serial I'm pretty sure you can buy a serial to usb adapter/cable for a nominal charge @ radio shack.
Yep, but they dont always work properly.

He has his own website as well, I assume he's running it as an auction so more people can find his product if they are looking.
Are we not buying directly from the vendor?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:12 AM

After doing a bunch of research after I posted this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=455836

I might have to steal my wife's laptop now and again I might be interested, I'll throw my name down for now and see what it all works out to regarding payment method etc. I also agree with silverx on buying direct from the vendor eliminate ebay, if we used paypal we have 45 day delivery protection.

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3. SilverX
4.MAXRB8

PS I have a USA shipper unless he'll deliver to Canada for the same deal.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by silverx
I have exchanged 3 emails with him this weekend
yup quick turn around for me too. Already receved a response. He must have been busier at the end of December.
Originally Posted by 5thGenMaxima
I will also ask if serial or usb will be faster when datalogging.
Same speed
He wont take our creditcards directly? Are we not buying directly from the vendor?
Yes It is directly from the vendor.
Sure He will, but I've never done it this way on a gd. Only when buying something myself at full price. If you would rather all of us e-mail him thru his site with CC#'s and shipping info I'm sure it could be done this way. The problem is that there is no where on his site that we can add the items to our cart for $180.00.
Quote:

Yep, but they dont always work properly.
Why do you say that? Just out of curiousity? I'm not very famalier with usb/serial compatibility or bluetooth.
Me Still $180?
HIM "We can honor that.The requirement is that the all be domestic US."
Also "$Yes, 130 extra for BT" ($310 total)

My question as to why BT isn't recommended for "enhanced support"

HIM "BT is too slow for enhanced support. That's why we don't recommend it. As for compatible. All BT uses the same protocol--I never heard of incompatibility."
Old 02-26-2006, 12:06 PM

Okay, so just for clarification cause I really dont know too much about the scan tools; This one ONLY reads the codes? Does it read all the codes that are available, i.e. it will tell me anything that may be pulling a code?

I havent had any problems with codes or lights or anything as of yet, I just wanted the ability to read my cars diagnostics every now and then to see if anythign is off. I also liked the added feature of performance readings too.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:07 PM

It will pull all dtc codes no problem. Each manufacturer has vehicle specific codes. For example a p1320 on a Nissan is a primary ignition system problem. I p1320 on a Ford for example could possibly be an 02 sensor problem.
The only problem with some cheaper scanners is that the software will read the p1320 and show the code as p1320 but list it as an 02 sensor.-You just have to verify online that p1320 is the primary ignition system. (I've never heard of a problem with autoenginuity, but it can happen)
It does show all codes , with certain vehicle specific codes it may only give you the P**** and you may have to come online and ask what the DTC is if the scanner doesn't tell you. Again, I've never heard of a problem with autoenginuity, but it can happen)

Just about every scan tool can read codes. That is just one function of this tool. This tool can do much more than that.....For example the laptop acts as a scope fto read your 02 sensors, MAF sensor, ETC and it graphs each sensor so you can see if the 02, MAF, ETC responds the way it is suppossed too.
This program also allows you to graph estimated HP, check 1/4 mile times/speed, etc. (A dyno is obviously more accurate, but this gives you an idea if that new intake adds HP or not.)
http://www.autoenginuity.com/
Another thing it does it check LTFT, STFT, ETC. (Long term fuel trim, short term fuel trim) So basically you can see if you are running rich or lean. You can check your A/F ratio (Air fuel Ratio), etc, etc, etc
Another good thing about this scan tool is that it is all OBDII system compatible which means it works on all cars foreign and domestic. There are 3 or 4 different types of systems and this program works for all of them. (ISO, CAN, and some others)
For everything it does just click the link above.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:14 PM

Damnit, i am interested in buying too, are your guys going to put me down for one?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:43 PM

Why do you say that? Just out of curiousity? I'm not very famalier with usb/serial compatibility or bluetooth.
I have a degree in Computer Engineering, and have worked on many custom serial applications. The USB->serial adapters are not always perfect. USB doesn't have the same timings as serial (serial is realtime, usb sends data in packets). Some realtime devices have issues with USB->serial adapters. If you *NEED* a usb->serial adapter to work, i highly recommend you ask the vendor which they support. We had one project where 2 adapters would not work properly, but a 3rd did. On another project, one of t he first two did. (Realtime lighting control for LED's).

HIM "BT is too slow for enhanced support. That's why we don't recommend it. As for compatible. All BT uses the same protocol--I never heard of incompatibility."
Thats bizzare.. bluetooth can do 700k/s (faster than serial) at short distances. I bet the *real* reason is a design problem on their end. Bluetooth is even mroe packeted and delayed than USB. It probably a compatability issue rather than a speed issue.

I am still down.. I just need to decide over serial or USB. Either way im 100% in.

btw.. as I said.. here is from their FAQ:
First, the vehicle bus is the limiter, so USB will not be faster then RS-232C serial. The advantages of RS-232C serial is it can have cable lengths up to 100ft whereas USB can't without powered repeaters. Also, RS-232C serial is required for Dual Mode (PC/PDA) connectors. (Since almost all PDAs can't be a host for USB devices.) USB does have the advantage of Plug-n-Play without device drivers and no port configurations necessary for operation.
If they 'do not need drivers', I think they are just using built in usb to serial drivers Windows XP has.. I bet their base design is serial, they sell a version with a USB chipset (or they use somehting like a PIC, which has built in serial and usb serial ports).

ALso out of their FAQ:
Note: Not all USB-to-Serial adaptors are made equal. We have tried some based on the FDTI chipset (Cables Unlimited) and Radio Shack that perform extremely poorly. We highly recommend getting any of the above or anything based on the Prolific chipset.
The FAQ also seems to imply the bluetooth option is basically a power supply, and a serial to bluetooth adapter from AirCable (http://www.aircable.net/serial.html for $69). I am just going to buy the serial version, and buy the AirCable and aircable power supply for $75.

Here is the picture with the same unit you can buy from aircable: http://www.autoenginuity.com/products-hardware.html .. they just include power over the serial adapter.. not worth $100 if you ask me..
Old 02-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by callkiss
Damnit, i am interested in buying too, are your guys going to put me down for one?

copy and paste....copy and paste....
Old 02-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
I also agree with silverx on buying direct from the vendor eliminate ebay, if we used paypal we have 45 day delivery protection.
If I pay with my American Express I can call amex at any time within a few months and have the charge reversed. If we use Paypal and I reverse the charge, paypal will cancel my account.

Paypal is worthless and offers no real protection. I use it because selling on ebay pretty much demands it, however they are a horrible company with no protection for buyers or sellers.

------------------------------------

With the number of interested buyers, can we negotiate a better deal for like 25 buyers?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:57 PM

If I pay with my American Express I can call amex at any time within a few months and have the charge reversed. If we use Paypal and I reverse the charge, paypal will cancel my account.

Paypal is worthless and offers no real protection. I use it because selling on ebay pretty much demands it, however they are a horrible company with no protection for buyers or sellers.

------------------------------------

With the number of interested buyers, can we negotiate a better deal for like 25 buyers?

Ive never had any problems with PayPal and Ive had to dispute several claims. Either way, Im a buyer. As long as I dont have to send cash through the mail, im cool...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:34 PM

The FAQ also seems to imply the bluetooth option is basically a power supply, and a serial to bluetooth adapter from AirCable (http://www.aircable.net/serial.html for $69). I am just going to buy the serial version, and buy the AirCable and aircable power supply for $75.
Intresting, so this is what autoenquity is selling for $130.00?? No other cables, software, etc. Just these cables..If that's the case them I'm def switching to serial version for myself. (130 was a bit to steep, but I can do 75)

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3. SilverX
4.MAXRB8
5.Callkiss

Originally Posted by callkiss
Callkiss I went ahead and added you, if you would like off please just copy + paste with your name deleted, thanks.

Originally Posted by maxrb8
PS I have a USA shipper unless he'll deliver to Canada for the same deal.
I'll ask him on my next e-mail. I'm sure he will ship to Canada, but expect to spend whatever custom charges + an additional $5-$20. (I'm not sure how much extra the shipping will cost him, you would probably know this better than I.) Or you can just have your U.S. shipper do it.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 AM

It looks like the bluetooth kit they sell for $130 is simply the AirCable adapter for $75. Your milage may vary. I am comfortable with attempting to DIY bluetooth it. $75 isnt much cheaper than $130 in all reality.. and for $130 the unit selfpowers the bluetooth module, and it has been tested to work.

I can re-ship to Canada for anyone who needs it. I can confirm my addr, ebay, paypal, and other refs. It would prob be cheaper if I had two shipped to me, and then someone can cover the cost for me to reship.

Btw.. I just got this response from the vendor:
Yes, it's a serial to BT adaptor. It won't work with anybody's but the one
we program and modify.
I think he means that they self-power the adapter (which won't happen normally), so your milage may vary. If you want BT functionality, cough up the cash and buy from them. If you enjoy playing with hardware, and can use the adapter anyways, go ahead and give it a shot (or wait until I do).
Old 02-27-2006, 11:54 AM

Sounds good. I'll just purchase the $180.00 kit and wait till you try the BT before purchasing.

Also: I just called. They said this would not be an e-bay listing....
Two payment methods are avail it's up to each individual how you would like to do it.
Once we get 10 people I need to call him back and he will give me a discount "word", basically when placing your order you just need to send the $180 (or $310 for BT) and enter the code "word" that he gives us.

Your options are
1.)send thru paypal and enter the discount "word" in the comments section
or
2.)You can call the company directly (give them the discount "word") and they will take your order over the phone.

Also I asked about shipping to Canada. It can be done, but he wants an additional $10 for shipping. So figure $190 (or $320) instead of $180 (or $310)
Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 PM

Sorry fella's I'm going to have to opt out as I've just picked up a hand held scanner which more than suits my needs, my apologies, but bump for a good deal....

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3. SilverX
5.Callkiss
Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 PM

cool, so were half way there!
Old 02-27-2006, 12:02 PM

well damn, were 40% there...
Old 02-27-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
cool, so were half way there!
I just posted the deal on the stangnet forum as well, so if the mods there don't move/delete the thread we may have a few more jump on from that forum.

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Sorry fella's I'm going to have to opt out as I've just picked up a hand held scanner which more than suits my needs, my apologies, but bump for a good deal....
No biggie enjoy your code reader

List updated

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3. SilverX
4.Callkiss
Old 02-27-2006, 05:07 PM

Cmon! Return the reader. Impress your friends with real time engine management graphs!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:22 PM

mods deleted my thread over at stangnet.
IMO, Even if you don't buy this I would return the code reader.
Sure, you can hook it up and it will give you a code # (and possibly tell you what it means)
But once you get say an 02 sensor code how are you going to know if the 02 code got set off because it's not switching correctly, if your A/F ratio is off, if you have unburned fuel leaving the engine, or if your ecm has changed your fuel trim causing a rich 02 reading. You can't check pending codes or see if your fuel trim is high or low...So that 02 sensor reading is pretty much worthless.
On top of that Autozone can hook there tool up to your car and do the exact same thing for free.
Like I said you don't have to come back on this GD if you don't want, but I would return the code scanner. Worthless, IMO
Old 02-27-2006, 05:57 PM

Damnit in a minute I am about to just go and buy the damn thing.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:06 PM

I would too, but the $70 discount is sweet.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:33 PM

Can we work out a 5 way discount?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:06 PM

Unlikely, I am speaking with one of the guys now. There seems to be a problem with Nissan's not being obd II complaint in some 00 and 01 vehicles, Fed law mandates that 96 + be obd II complaint, (There is evidently a recall on our cars for this) so I'm talking to one of the guys now to see what legal rights we have for free (VS. paying) updates at our local dealership.
Hopefully, He will get back to me either tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT: You can go ahead and buy now seperately if you want... They are doing some updates in the next few weeks, So I'm going to go ahead and hold off. I would advise against buying another brand though, because they are going to have the same problem. I am going to go ahead and wait....If you don't want to wait a month go ahead and remove your name...I will bump it when more info is avail....
Edit # 2) Also could be some good news coming our way. I'll let you know in the next few days.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Unlikely, I am speaking with one of the guys now. There seems to be a problem with Nissan's not being obd II complaint in some 00 and 01 vehicles, Fed law mandates that 96 + be obd II complaint, (There is evidently a recall on our cars for this) so I'm talking to one of the guys now to see what legal rights we have for free (VS. paying) updates at our local dealership.
Hopefully, He will get back to me either tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT: You can go ahead and buy now seperately if you want... They are doing some updates in the next few weeks, So I'm going to go ahead and hold off. I would advise against buying another brand though, because they are going to have the same problem. I am going to go ahead and wait, but I will def be buying this brand....If you don't want to wait a month go ahead and remove your name...I will bump it when more info is avail.
im in no rush. Just keep us posted and ill be here when its all ready
Old 02-28-2006, 06:17 PM

I'll looking myself for the same thing but the AutoEnginuity product is a bit pricey. If you guys only care about connecting to your Maxima or any other Asian cars that supports ISO9141 protocol, you could check TekMate Tools. I heard they are somewhat associated with the AutoEnginuity guys. They sell kits for about $110 but each kit only supports one specific OBDII protocol (the AutoEnginuity supports all OBDII protocols).

Quick Reply: Comments on this ODB-II scanner? Good/Bad?