5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Comments on this ODB-II scanner? Good/Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006 | 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Haven't used it a whole lot. Only time I do is when I have time to drag my desktop outside. It's a pretty basic program, and it seems to do most of what it's suppossed to do. It doesn't compare to the high end equipment I'm used too, but not sure how it compares to uprev. There are no known updates that I'm aware of. It's been a while, but I don't remember finding any freeze frame info, alot of manufacturer specific info, etc. (But it's been quite a while) Sorry if this doesn't answer your questions, maybe someone else could chime in.
Old 07-31-2006 | 03:32 AM

I've pulled freeze frame data saved when the MIL was lit on 3 different vehicles, Honda, Dodge amd my Maxima. Works better than the Actron hand held I had. I can't seem to get the Nissan Enhanced stuff to work though. It says it's activated, but nothing comes up but the generic things.
Old 07-31-2006 | 04:49 AM

Well, I PMed a couple people, but it seems that no one has really played around with it enough to provide any detailed commentary. Has anyone verified whether the base timing advance and idle adjustments work?

Thanks for the responses nevertheless....
Old 07-31-2006 | 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Grave digger
It was dug up for good reason....
Old 09-14-2006 | 07:48 PM

Comments on the tool? Would you recommend? Tks.
Old 09-15-2006 | 10:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

Mine did that too. I think you need either the 4.3 beta version or the new 4.3 version that Jay emailed all the owners of. I don't know if their updated version is the same as my beta version though

Originally Posted by Jay_Alix
I've pulled freeze frame data saved when the MIL was lit on 3 different vehicles, Honda, Dodge amd my Maxima. Works better than the Actron hand held I had. I can't seem to get the Nissan Enhanced stuff to work though. It says it's activated, but nothing comes up but the generic things.
Old 09-15-2006 | 10:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

I haven't had the time to play with it but another G owner confirmed they have been able to get it to work.

BTW. If you go with mine, it seems to have a problem hooking up to 4-gens. You need some type of add on. Odd

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Well, I PMed a couple people, but it seems that no one has really played around with it enough to provide any detailed commentary. Has anyone verified whether the base timing advance and idle adjustments work?

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jay_Alix
When your connecting, a screen pops up asking you to verify/enter the vehicle model/make/year. At the bottom of this dialog is a pull down menu called something like 'System Type'. You have to select "Enhanced Powertrain" from this list to get the program to discover all of the enhanced nissan abilities, sensors etc.
Old 09-16-2006 | 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster

The Base timing advance does work. I've had mine set to -16 or -17 since I bought the tool. Also I was able to set Gibbys 2000 SE to -17 as well, and it did stick after disconnect, key off/on. It can be verified by simply reading the 'Target Ignition timing' sensor using the enhanced powertrain system.
Old 09-17-2006 | 06:40 AM

Tks. Just ordered mine and the Nissan enhanced pkg. Can't wait to use the Speedtracer instead of my butt dyno.
Old 09-17-2006 | 01:18 PM

Leave feedback after you've used it.
Old 09-18-2006 | 11:58 AM

yea i would like to know how it goes to...i woundering how much can u really do with that program. let me know
Old 09-21-2006 | 07:19 AM

Considering ordering the package myself so any insight would be appreciated..
Old 09-23-2006 | 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Buy yhe cheepest one you can find. Harbor freight has one for like 35 dollars. I have one I paid 200 dollars for it works, but so do the cheep ones
Old 09-24-2006 | 08:28 PM

I was working most of the weekend, had little time to test my Autoenginuity kit. Did not have time to read manual. I also bought the Nissan Enhanced features (needed if you want to change idle RPM, timing +/- 2%, ECU reset, ECU learning reset). It is plug and play. Got sensor data easily. Turned logging on for 9 sensors and played back later at home. Great to do a run and create a baseline of numbers, then make a change and see how/if sensor value has changed. Probably a great tool for racing. Discovered that I have a small EVAP leak but am still within specs. With the enhanced package, you can monitor 100+ more sensors and switches.

I tried to change my idle RPM and timing but am getting errors (I am using an old laptop). Will read the manual. You almost need someone to drive the car while you sit on the passenger side to log the data and give specific request to the driver. Otherwise it can be dangerously distracting.

The speedtracer works well. Laptop must be secured when you do acceleration/deceleration tests. Again after reading the manual, I will probably figure out how to do hands off runs and get better numbers.

It showed me that even if I have CAI down to the wheel, the intake air temp was 125 at idle, and went down to 100 while driving. Again, it provides a lot of data from dozens of sensors to analyze. All the screens I tried worked well. The package feels quite professional. Will let you know more as I use it on my 05 5A/T.
Old 09-26-2006 | 07:13 PM

Update on Autoenginuity scantool

I was able to advance timing 2 degrees and RPM by 50 (250 is max). Had to use fast mode CAN. I am investigating why my engine gets rough idle once in awhile. By displaying a bunch of sensors, I found the idle timing advance jumped 10 degrees when the idle got rough. There are 50+ engine sensors to monitor but can only visualize 9 at a time. While you drive around, you can record fuel trims, O2 sensor values, cam values, Air flow, etc, etc. Playback works well too. It tells you the range of values for each sensor that the ECU considers ‘within specs’. Does exactly what I bought it for. I found that most of the time the messages were quite clear.

I was able to retard timing temporarily. I messed up one test, stalled the engine and it would not re-start. Almost had a heart attack. I forgot that I had to turn ignition off to reset temporary test values. Like the disclaimer says, use with care. Lots of similar tests you can run.

Did a MIL clear. The pop up does show you everything that will be cleared before you hit enter. Worked well. If you have aftermarket parts or MIL because of headers, I suspect that clearing the DTC’s just before an emission test could help you pass if your car is an 04+.

I am wasting a lot of gas because I use the tool with the engine running. You can use the tool with just the ignition key to ON but in the old days, keeping the key ON without the engine running caused the coils to overheat and die a short time after.

You have to read the ECU section of the Maxima shop manual to better understand OBDII and how DTC’s are managed/recorded. I will try to find time in the next few days to evaluate the Speedtracer. You can download both user guides to find out exactly what the tools can do.
Old 09-27-2006 | 08:08 AM

You using the USB connection or serial??? Is there any delay in logging or is all the data shown in real time???
Old 09-28-2006 | 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by VQ20
You using the USB connection or serial??? Is there any delay in logging or is all the data shown in real time???
USB. Real time. You setup which sensor you want the gauges/graph to display and you see the data instantly, real time. You click on recording and drive around to log the values from each gauges. You can change how often you want each sample to be taken. I guess it depends how fast the laptop is. At the end of your test/drag run, you stop the recording. You hit playback and can watch the RPM, speed, timing, MAF, etc during your test. Real nice to troubleshoot problems.
Old 09-28-2006 | 03:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

madmik. How are the datalogs stored? ie.. excell sheets via graphs? Can you save a datalog as something static? ie... looks like a dyno sheet? Just want to know if you can save it and then post a log run somewhere like a forum.

I've seen datalog runs posted on forums from the UpRev Cipher unit. ie.. 02, VTC angles etc..

Thanks for the info
Old 09-28-2006 | 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
madmik. How are the datalogs stored? ie.. excell sheets via graphs? Can you save a datalog as something static? ie... looks like a dyno sheet? Just want to know if you can save it and then post a log run somewhere like a forum.
Thanks for the info
The Data logging of the scantool is saved in a .CSV or XML file. It includes a timestamp. I haven't found anywhere on the screens or in the doc a way to save the gauges as a bit map or other. When you replay a datalog, it figures out which meter to display. There are a few samples in the documentation (download from website).

The speedtracer (separate free tool) is a better story. You can resize the graphs (dyno, acceleration, MPG, etc) and save them as BMP, TIF, etc (according to documentation). The datalogs can be saved in delimited text or XML.

So yes, you can easily save a dyno sheet or 1/4 mile run graph. The scantool is like dashboard with all the gauges you wish you always had and the speedtracer is your track tool for acceleration time, HP, torque.
Old 02-27-2008 | 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello Folks,

I have 2001 Maxima SE and just joined the Maxima.ORG. I am looking for an advice on OBD Scan tool from Auto Enginuity. Is it a great tool worth spending a money? Any advise will be appreciated. Can I still avail "group buy" price for this product.

Recently I am experiencing a rough idling some times during the car startup. So I was wondering, will this new scan tool can help me identify the problem.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 02-27-2008 | 01:45 PM
MAXIN' ON

Unless you know what to look for probalbly not. If your not thowing a code and dont know where to start you SOL.
Old 02-27-2008 | 01:56 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Manu
Hello Folks,

I have 2001 Maxima SE and just joined the Maxima.ORG. I am looking for an advice on OBD Scan tool from Auto Enginuity. Is it a great tool worth spending a money? Any advise will be appreciated. Can I still avail "group buy" price for this product.

Recently I am experiencing a rough idling some times during the car startup. So I was wondering, will this new scan tool can help me identify the problem.

Thanks in Advance.
AE is actually a nice product if you're a data head. You can also bump timing up & down, turn the fans on @ will, fuel pressure test etc, IF you get the Nissan 'tool'. It will also help in your problem in that it will let you know which sensor is failing, whether through a live data feed, or a code.
Old 03-02-2008 | 09:24 PM

I bought my scanner (same one that Autozone uses) for $70 bucks off of Amazon. Its and Actron CP9135. Reads codes and erases as well. This is the link to amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9135-...4521831&sr=8-2