5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VB mod question..For those who have done it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VB mod question..For those who have done it.

Tried the search, got a whole bunch of posts with nothing in regaurds to my question.

I get a bad slippage when I WOT then let off the accelerator half way..
The rpms stay at around 5-6K, but there is no pull which indicates a slippage..I usually have to let off the accelerator a bit further to allow the tranny to shift.
It seems to me that the problem is line pressure related seeing as how if I stay at WOT it the slip is non-existant and it barely slips on normal shifts. (The normal person wouldn't even notice it.)
I thought about just being easy on it, but realize that the clutch packs will eventually burn up and don't feel like doing a complete tranny tear down. They are defiently in good condition now, the only time it seems to slip is when (I'm assuming) line pressure is low.
4 part question.

1.)What exactly do they do during the VB mob? I'm guessing they port certain valve passages (I.E. increase mainline pressure) and replace the spool valves with slightly larger diameter spool valves..Or do they just replace the pressure regulater (If Applicaple)
2.)Do they sell VB's already modded, or do you have to send yours in.
3.)How does this affect tranny shifts when Grandma/Casual driving?? I like that shifts aren't firm, but would be willing to firm it up a bit if it meant I could save my tranny.
When I worked at the local lube shop we did sheit loads of tranny flushes, quite a few Honda's came back with tranny problems after a few thousand miles. Turned out the "compatible" fluid didn't have the special additive that Honda uses even though it was listed as compatible so I always use OEM trans fluid.
I'm at about 25k on the current fluid and will be doing a flush and filter in a few weeks,
4.)Right after the fluid gets flushed I'm going to be adding a trans cooler. If you have one is it a generic brand? If so which brand (size) did you get, where from, and where did you mount it? I was thinking in the center of the radiator on the side closest to the front fender and just securing it with twisty ties thru the radiator fins.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2006, 05:37 AM

Although I do not have it done, If you get it done, I would like to know how much it costs, and if it was an improvement etc. I am considering getting my VB recalibrated as well.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:44 AM

Go get the codes pulled. I had 2 codes and the VB mod did not fix my slippage. I just swapped the entire transmission out for a newer unit.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=457144
Old 02-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the info. Good write up BTW. Actually I'm not pulling any codes and it only slips (it seems) when line pressure in theory would be low, so I'm assuming that's the problem. My trans doesn't slip all the time, but I'm afraid at the rate it's going that in 10,000 miles my clutch packs will be worn smooth.
Just kind of trying to figure out exactly what modifications they do to the vb and how it helps line pressure and/or shifts. (As well as the other questions stated in my first thread)
Old 02-27-2006, 12:24 PM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

vbmod

I HAVE THE VB MOD IN MY 02 AND IT IS A HARSH SHIFT. SHIFTING IS ELECTRONIC AND COMPUTER CONTROLLED IN THE 02 AND NEW -VS- YOUR HYDROLICSHIFT TRANNY WHICH I UNDERSTAND IS EASIER TO CONTROL THE SHIFTING AND SHOULD NOT BE AS HARSH.

THIS IS WHERE I GOT MINE SWAPPED NO SEND IN WAIT TIME.

http://maximumtuning.net/

ASK FOR JEFF
Old 02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by miksen
SHIFTING IS ELECTRONIC AND COMPUTER CONTROLLED IN THE 02 AND NEW -VS- YOUR HYDROLICSHIFT TRANNY WHICH I UNDERSTAND IS EASIER TO CONTROL THE SHIFTING AND SHOULD NOT BE AS HARSH
... Got proof that his tranny is any different than our A33B (02/3)? The procedure is the same for 95-03 trannys.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:16 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
... Got proof that his tranny is any different than our A33B (02/3)? The procedure is the same for 95-03 trannys.
NMEX,, No, No proof at all. Just going by what Jeff @maximuntunning told me when I question the harshness of the shifting...there is very little differneced between a stage one and stage two. He explained the reason for it was electronic vs hydrolic...it is possible I misunderstood him but it was not a very technical conversation.