5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested to see 5th gen suspension tuning thread?
yes
94.72%
no
5.28%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Need a favor from EVERYONE with lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:06 PM

1 List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc)

03 6SPD, Tein S-Tech\Tokico Illuminas (on setting 3) Front (40k miles). Stock Rear (100K miles)

2 Your driving skills and experience

24 y/o..conservative driver

3 How often you bottom out and at what conditions

Only at highway speeds and large holes/bumps

4 How your car feels when driven around town

Like I have to pay attention lol. Its pretty stiff in the front.

5 Impressions on curvy roads

Back end rolls (stock). Front end rolls minimally, could use extra bracing (LSB)

6 High speed driving and high speed stability

Very stable

7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it)

Harsh

Advanced handling questions:

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.

low - even
med - understeer
high - the faster the more understeer

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed.

low - good
med - good
high - back end less responsive

10 Is your car predictable?

very

11 Additional information that you feel is important

stock rims and tire size
Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM

1 List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc)
sprint springs, stock shocks for now, fstb and rsb, bumpstops cut an inch off

driving for 15 years, have drag raced often

bottom out only on large unavoidable potholes, other than that its fine

i love how it feels. very inspiring and tight

curvy roads that car asks to be pushed. very little lean and roll.

driving on the hiway is predictable and great. no more wandering

all in all not bad but thats subjective. my wife thinks i need to stop modding. when you get on real crappy roads or hiways with cracks it very noticable. on a range on 1 soft and 10 jar your teeth out its a 5.

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.
in all very stable and predictable. just went to RI and was getting on to a very tight sweeper and kept giving the gas. i was very impressed. held it ground and i was going about 50 or so

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed.
no s turns to report. lane changing again is not scary. feel more at ease now than when stock

very. makes the driving much more fun

car rides low. now wheel gap in rear and about 1/4 in the front. have not got around to shocks yet but will in some months. the look is pleasing as well as it gets many looks. also i have a progress sway bar set to full stiffness. with the sprint springs its a def must to help control the otherwise harsh ride.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM

My setup, Complete OEM Struts
Eibach Pro Lowering Springs
Cut Bumpstops
issue is, My resonator scraps on almost anything speed bumps, driveways etc.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 PM

First impressions, I've only put about 200miles of spirited driving since they were installed... and its midnight so this will be kinda sloppy.. lolz

Eibachs on Illuminas 5F/5R. FTSB, no bump stops

3 yrs, I'm still a noob.. haha

None in the front, i scrape in the back because my tire is 235/45/18

Way stiffer than stock, but then again my rear shocks were blown

Friggen awesome. Not much body roll.. Feels like the car actually moves with the curves, its not sloppy like stock.

Great, no floating at all.. Very controlled
"Ahh its not that bad" -Exact quote from dad lolz

a little stiffer than a stock 350z..

Its more controlled, it feels like a stiff boat rocking to a side..

Its not like stock when i had to go in between two big branches that fell off some truck on the highway right in front of me at 50mph.. which was alot of tire squealing.. lol

Comparing to other cars.. It doesn't feel like my cousin's Evo which is lowered on Tein S-Tech's... But then again, thats an Evo.

I'm going to go out on a limb on this one and say, I can feel the limits if i try to take a turn too fast..
I haven't really driven the car enough to give an definite answer..

Strut bearing is probably bad, my passenger front clunks when i lock the wheels left to right and vice versa while sitting still. a RSB might make the side to side/emergency maneuver feel more precise..
Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Tokico Illumina 5 Way Adjustable Shocks (Set to 3 all around)

Vogtland Racing Springs

21 Years old, 6 Spd 02 Max, I tear it up and I'VE never crashed

Why I'm writing this, is last night I had 5 (two average and three large) guys pile into the back seat of my car and I didn't bottom out once (with two people in front). I was shocked. Amazing, especially considering how happy I am with the drop.

Almost stock, just slightly tighter

Sticks to road much better, feels like its on rails compared to stock.

When I hit bumps, it dampens them within one oscillation, unlike stock where you feel like you're sitting at the top of a tall spring thats bouncing up and down.

I don't think an unfamiliar person would know the car is dropped at all.

More so than stock

I got my set up on ebay dirt cheap (500 for shocks and springs) I installed them myself and I have to re-install because I didn't replace the top hats (big mistake). They make sounds when turning the wheel far at low speeds (perticularly when turning right), but they feel rock solid, I would highly recomment them. My only complaint, is that it still looks like the car has *** sag, possibly worse than stock. It isn't actually worse than stock, but it may appear so because the back now has no wheel gap at all, and the front has less than before, but still some, so it makes it more evident since the back has no gap. I wish the front had a slightly bigger drop than the back.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM

Good info in here.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Tokico Illumina with Vogtland

Front: Vogtland Sport Springs
Tokico Illumina 5 Way Shocks set to 3

Rear: OEM Nissan Springs
Tokico Illumina 5 Way Shocks set to 5

Moog Replacement Strut Mounts
KYB dust boots
2 Sided auto tape between body and strut mount
18" 2006 G35 Rims on 235/45/18

I whip the Maxi

Front bumper bottoms out when approaching or leaving steep inclines (wortst of San Fran steep)

Very tight. Damps bumps with just one 'down up' and with minimal travel absorbed.

Tracks well and feels eager to take the inside of the curve with far less body roll than stock

stable and doesnt bounce like a leap frog as the stock did. Perticularly the feel of the rear is improved and far more stable

Somewhat stiff to where I go slow over bumps when possible or avoid them when possible, but still not like a WRX STi, still dampens without creating a loud clatter or anyting

Tracks well at all speeds

Havent tested emergency swerve, s turn feels stable

car feels predictable

My first setup in the max was stock. I decided to upgrade when my friend said that he felt unsafe in the car because he felt like it was gonna bounce off the side of the highway (perticularly the rear would bounce up and down and not stop for a few reverberations).

I bought a package of tokico illumina shocks and vogtland 'burgundy' springs and installed it myself. with kyb strut mounts. the car handling was somewhat improved, however the stance sucked with significant *** sag. The rear wheel well fit the wheel well, while the front still had a couple inch gap to the tire.

Recently I changed to the current setup. To fix the *** sag I put the OEM springs on the BACK ONLY. VOGTLAND SPORT SPRINGS FRONT, OEM REAR. The new setup gives the car a nice stance that is very slightly leaning forward, though it is practically completely flat. Theres a little gap in the front and back, but at least the gaps match. In order to make up for the bouncier spring rate in the rear, I turned up the stiffness on the rear shocks to 5 (from 3 in front). The new setup feels really stable, with supple damping that feels european. it is more eager to take turns, and still has enough clearance to not scrape on almost all driveways. Could use slightly more drop on both front and back, but i'm not gonna cut my front Vogtland springs, so with the equipment I have I think this is the best setup I can get. It is frustrating that the rear VOGTLAND springs dont compliment the front better but, i'm really happy with the handling of the setup with Vogtland front, Stock rear springs, and stiffer shock settings in back. After adding 18" G35 rims the handling is even more improved, acceleration a little better (less wheel spin, i have no lsd) and faster on the highway.

Last edited by SLPMAXDuP; 01-17-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
This thread is a part of Suspension Sticky on the top of this section.

Since opinions are also very important when choosing suspension products, I would like to ask everyone who’s already lowered to answer the following questions. The more people will reply the better, since everyone has his/her own opinion. If you had more than one setup, comment on your previous setups as well. If you are not sure how to answer any of these questions simply skip it and go to the next one.

Thanks in advance.
1) Just Eibach Pro Kit with stock everything, car has 180k miles
2)Meh, "Decent to Good" with 11 months of experience
3)On rough roads from 25-30mph
4)Solid on smooth roads, "rattly" on rough roads
5)Excellent, they make the car road hugging and centered
6)Solid, feel planted
7)Same as #4, so OK-bearable
8)Low-dont feel any body roll, controlled
Medium-Plantted with sight body roll
High-Planted, Body roll but not much and confidence inspiring
9)Solid, no violent body roll or movement. Very controlled
10) Very
11)If I was a part of any organization that involved racing competition I have no doubt I would appreciate them even more. Would go great with some real shocks. Amazing springs. Rough ride at times though