5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help, trying to put in new mirror- blew fuses/no dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need help, trying to put in new mirror- blew fuses/no dash lights

I ordered one of those compass/map light mirrors from somebody on here, i already have an autodim with only two wires and this one came with six- playing around with the wires i got the mirror to turn on but the lights are on all the time when their supposed to be on switched, so i tried a different wire combo. Turned the key to see if it worked and i had no dash lights. I blew the 10A fuse for "room light" i think it was, replaced and the key chime is back but there are no lights that come on (SES, brake, ABS, airbag) when you first turn the key to "on" but the car starts up fine, all other lights work including the backlight for the gauges and all other electronics work, and as far as i know all the fuses are fine, what did I do?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:15 PM
vsamoylov

now that is why you need to get a wiring diagram before you mess around with the wires. did you check all the fuses?

Old 03-14-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
now that is why you need to get a wiring diagram before you mess around with the wires.

(10 char)
Old 03-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Update: I know i needed to get one, i only would be using the two wires that came down from the mirror harness to splice into five for the new mirror and a ground.

Anyway, i couldnt hook it up so i take the car down the highway to go shoot some pool tonight. Headlights look kinda dim and i still had no dash lights OR GAUGES(didnt realize that til i started moving) so no speedo, just the lights behind it. Driving down the highway it started getting dimmer and dimmer til i pulled off an exit and had to drive with my highbeams on which by then wernt as bright as lowbeams. Car started sputtering and i had to keep the gas nailed in 2nd gear to stay moving til i pulled into a stewarts, then it was shot completely, wouldnt crank just clicked. Im like oh %#@! I pulled fuses and changed another 10A which made the dash lights and gauges work, then reconnected the mirror wires that were just hanging there. My friend shows up with cables and we jumped the car, started right up! What could i have done, would a blown fuse cause that much drain to cause alternator-failure like symptoms then be fine after i changed it? I now have an SES light but ill scan it in the morning, otherwise its fine. Now just gotta hook up that mirror..
Old 03-15-2006, 06:40 AM

First of all, I wouldn't even attampt to GUESS which wires are what without a diagram. You're splicing wires into the the electrical system without even knowing what you're doing. You're just making matters worse. I have an auto-dim with other features, too, with about 7-8 wires coming out of it. Maybe, if you would ask around and give out your wire colors to your mirror, someone will help you out. They may even have the same mirror. Replace/check all your fuses and disconnect that mirror until you know which wires go to what.
---------->(instructions)