5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Confessions of a GM-Owner... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 12:59 PM
amaxfan

Hey.

I'd just like to come out of the shadows and say thanks. I've been lurking in this forum for a while now, and have been watching the proceedings. While reading this keep in mind that I live in the Plaid-Wearing, Hockey-Loving, REAL-Beer Drinking world of Canada.

Let me get this out of the way: Over the past 10 years I have owned a variety of General Motors vehicles that have all been losers. On the list is a Fiero, a Sunfire, a Grand Prix (worst by far), and a GMC Jimmy. I guess my only incentive to keep buying GM was the low interest rates and the GM Visa incentive.

Finally fed up with poor-quality and expensive repairs, I visited Kitchener Nissan (Ontario) and purchased a 2001 Maxima SE Anniversary Edition, Silver, Manual Tranny. This car, and dealership, has far exceeded any expectations that I had about owning a car. I'm writing to congratulate Nissan on building the best-built car that I have ever owned. I've had the car 45 days now, and have put 5600km's (~3500 miles) on it.

I purchased this car because of what I read on Maxima.org. The members said Sterling Mist was probably the nicest colour (<-see my Canadian spelling, eh?), and it is. So I picked it. The members said that if they could do it, they'd get a stick. So I picked that too. Other than that, there wasn't anything else to pick! The only remaining options were the CD-changer (NA!) and the ash-tray kit (NA!). Oh, sorry, I put a set of wheel lock-nuts on it to keep those beautiful 17" alloys.

Once again I am excited to drive. I look forward to driving to work. I look forward to driving to the store. I look forward to being in the driver's seat. I was told by a friend that if I test-drove a Maxima, I'd buy a Maxima. He was right. Nissan doesn't have to advertise this vehicle; since I purchased my Max, I haven't stopped talking about it.

Everything about this car is perfect. The fit and finish is exemplary. The looks are stunning. The ride is superb. This car was not designed, it was chiseled. This is a work of art. I would, and do, definitely recommend the Nissan Maxima.

My complaints right now? None. Well, there's two little things: slight wind noise from the passenger rear door, and a slight buzz at 2000 RPM in 3rd and 5th gears coming from the stick. If I push the stick forward just slightly it goes away. It doesn't do it below 1800 or above 2200 either. But you know what? Who cares. These are such trivial little things compared to _anything_ I've ever had in a GM that it just doesn't bother me!

The other cars that I looked at: BMW 330 (seems to be too arrogant), Lexus IS300 (nice, too small), and a Acura CL-S (old man's sports car -- 2-door, need 4). I also looked at the Acura TL-S. I really liked it, but the salesman was a ***** and I liked the Maxima more anyway.

I know someone will ask this: Mod's planned = NONE. Well, maybe put the FSB and RSB in it. I don't even want to tint the windows because this car just looks so damned sharp.

Old 06-12-2001, 01:02 PM
Got Bent?

Welcome and congrats on the new maxima glad you like it!

stick around here enough and we will change your mind to mods = not enough rather than mods = none
Old 06-12-2001, 01:07 PM

Hi ...

Let me be the First Canadian, and Fellow "Ontarian" to welcome you.

I live in Ricmond Hill (Toronto) ... and my Car Specs are in my Sig.

Hope U'll like it here ...
Old 06-12-2001, 01:16 PM

Congrats on your car. Your story was a very compelling one. Maybe you should send it to Nissan. They may use it in their advertisements....Maybe that could get you a discount on a new one.
Old 06-12-2001, 02:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

No other mods besides those?

Congrats on your car!
Old 06-12-2001, 02:43 PM

Welcome to the fold. Your Maxima should provide better reliability than 99% of GM products. It's not perfect though. You've avoided the one sticking point, weak automatic transmissions. The rotors are another problem area. Don't be suprised if they warp around 12,000 miles, giving you wheel vibration under heavy braking. Even though I've had problems with mine, I still love it.
Old 06-12-2001, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
No other mods besides those?

Congrats on your car!
i know, my car is loaded with mods man!!
Old 06-12-2001, 03:13 PM

nice choice

i have a sterling mist too, don't you love the color after a good wash and a wax. the maxima is a beautiful car. hope you enjoy driving it as much as it do.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: nice choice

I have sterling mist also...I was choosing btwn black or silver....I didnt choose black b/c the color is too hard to be kept in good shape

Originally posted by NisMoMAX01SE
i have a sterling mist too, don't you love the color after a good wash and a wax. the maxima is a beautiful car. hope you enjoy driving it as much as it do.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:39 PM

AE Model

Congrats on the Anniversary Model.......closing in on 8 months and still enjoy it. Must be something with legalities and Car Height as all anniversary models are sans Ground Effects kit in Canada. Can you install one, or would it be illegal ??? It makes the Anniversary Model stand out more than standard SE editions.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by amaxfan

Finally fed up with poor-quality and expensive repairs, I visited Kitchener Nissan (Ontario) and purchased a 2001 Maxima SE Anniversary Edition, Silver, Manual Tranny.
Ahh... Kitchener. Used to work for Descartes based in Waterloo so I know it well. Ever been to the Flying Dog?

I know someone will ask this: Mod's planned = NONE. Well, maybe put the FSB and RSB in it. I don't even want to tint the windows because this car just looks so damned sharp.
Exactly my thoughts when I first got mine. I've been seduced by the Darkside, however. By all means, get the FSTB and RSB right away. You will NOT regret it.

Congrats and Welcome!

Cheers!
Old 06-12-2001, 11:23 PM

No mods...that'll change...I thought the same and but then, as Rcticmax said, I succumbed to the darkside! And definitely get the FSTB and RSB you will really like how much crisper the handling is!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the org.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:28 AM
amaxfan

Originally posted by RcticMax

Ahh... Kitchener. Used to work for Descartes based in Waterloo so I know it well. Ever been to the Flying Dog?
Cool, ya I live in Waterloo. Went to UoW. Done many a drunk stumble from the Dog to my place.

Exactly my thoughts when I first got mine. I've been seduced by the Darkside, however. By all means, get the FSTB and RSB right away. You will NOT regret it.
Alright, alright. I know I said I wouldn't mod my max, but I'm starting to succumb already. I'm the the sway bars for sure, and now I'm hearing a rumour about being able to get the HID's... sheesh! That'd be cool.

Is this how it all starts?

Old 06-13-2001, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by amaxfan
Hey.

I'd just like to come out of the shadows and say thanks. I've been lurking in this forum for a while now, and have been watching the proceedings. While reading this keep in mind that I live in the Plaid-Wearing, Hockey-Loving, REAL-Beer Drinking world of Canada.

Let me get this out of the way: Over the past 10 years I have owned a variety of General Motors vehicles that have all been losers. On the list is a Fiero, a Sunfire, a Grand Prix (worst by far), and a GMC Jimmy. I guess my only incentive to keep buying GM was the low interest rates and the GM Visa incentive.

Finally fed up with poor-quality and expensive repairs, I visited Kitchener Nissan (Ontario) and purchased a 2001 Maxima SE Anniversary Edition, Silver, Manual Tranny. This car, and dealership, has far exceeded any expectations that I had about owning a car. I'm writing to congratulate Nissan on building the best-built car that I have ever owned. I've had the car 45 days now, and have put 5600km's (~3500 miles) on it.

I purchased this car because of what I read on Maxima.org. The members said Sterling Mist was probably the nicest colour (<-see my Canadian spelling, eh?), and it is. So I picked it. The members said that if they could do it, they'd get a stick. So I picked that too. Other than that, there wasn't anything else to pick! The only remaining options were the CD-changer (NA!) and the ash-tray kit (NA!). Oh, sorry, I put a set of wheel lock-nuts on it to keep those beautiful 17" alloys.

Once again I am excited to drive. I look forward to driving to work. I look forward to driving to the store. I look forward to being in the driver's seat. I was told by a friend that if I test-drove a Maxima, I'd buy a Maxima. He was right. Nissan doesn't have to advertise this vehicle; since I purchased my Max, I haven't stopped talking about it.

Everything about this car is perfect. The fit and finish is exemplary. The looks are stunning. The ride is superb. This car was not designed, it was chiseled. This is a work of art. I would, and do, definitely recommend the Nissan Maxima.

My complaints right now? None. Well, there's two little things: slight wind noise from the passenger rear door, and a slight buzz at 2000 RPM in 3rd and 5th gears coming from the stick. If I push the stick forward just slightly it goes away. It doesn't do it below 1800 or above 2200 either. But you know what? Who cares. These are such trivial little things compared to _anything_ I've ever had in a GM that it just doesn't bother me!

The other cars that I looked at: BMW 330 (seems to be too arrogant), Lexus IS300 (nice, too small), and a Acura CL-S (old man's sports car -- 2-door, need 4). I also looked at the Acura TL-S. I really liked it, but the salesman was a ***** and I liked the Maxima more anyway.

Welcome to the forum, amaxfan!
Before I bought my Max, I looked at the exact same cars you did, plus the Infiniti I30t and Audi S4. I have to admit the I30 is more luxurious on the inside, but I think the Max looks better outside. Heard about some problems with the S4 from a friend who works at Audi that I would not want to deal with.
Agreed on all your points about the other cars, especially the CL-S and TL-S... grandpa cars... CL-S did not have enough back seat space, and the fake wood trim... yuck
Anyway... great choice!
On the mods, go with the FSTB and RSB. Don't really need to upgrade the FSB unless you do alot of cornering.
You think the car looks sweet now, get the windows tinted... it will look even more delicious
Old 06-13-2001, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by SFMax20SE

CL-S did not have enough back seat space

Why do you need all that back seat space SFMax20SE ???

Old 06-13-2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by tomz17
Why do you need all that back seat space SFMax20SE ???
Got 2 moms and dad to drive around...
Not for what you are implying
But did do that in the BMW once
The Max is the only car that I own with decent back seat room.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by SFMax20SE

Got 2 moms and dad to drive around...

Oh.. Is that what kids call IT nowadays??
Old 06-13-2001, 08:15 PM

Welcome, Congrats and your story was a great read!
Old 06-13-2001, 10:45 PM

As an American Max owner, I would like to extend my hand of welcome to you. Great story...kinda like a long Hallmark introduction to the Maxima.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:53 AM

Have to agree with you about the GM crap..

I once had a Grand Prix myself. It was a total piece. You said you owned a Jimmy? I remember reading in a car mag (Car & Driver or Motor Trend) that the fit and finish on a Jimmy they were testing was one of the worst they had EVER seen! Gee, I wonder why GM has had such a bad year?

Congrats on the Max purchase!