5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Custom maxima race pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 06:23 AM
On the pedobear bandwagon

Custom maxima race pipe

Hey... may be a stupid question... but has anyone tried this race pipe from custommaxima? 99 bucks doesn't sound too bad... but I want to know if I'm going to get a check engine light... any experience with this? I'm wanting to get this and a ypipe... so if anyone thinks i'll get a code...let me know... and i'll think of another alternative.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:17 AM

usually the only problems you would get a ses light is from not having the o2 sensor in place. Another issue is how well will it line up with ur other pipes, craftmanship, how noisy it is, weather its aluminized or Stainless steal (rust issues). Most people pay extra to have rest assured these problems are taken care of, which is why most people say save your money for the cattman products. I dont know much about the CM race pipe (which doesnt have o2 sensors). I'm 99.999% sure there arnt any o2 sensors past the catalytic converter, so you shouldnt get a ses light. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:53 PM

I have the test pipe, the y-pipe and b-pipe from custom enterprise, there no O2 sensor for the test pipe.
You will notice a better "growl" from the exhaust.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
retired moderator

It will not give you any extra power (unless you are FI or have headers), make the car handle better, or make the car look better.

therefore, it = a waste of money.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by irish44j
It will not give you any extra power (unless you are FI or have headers), make the car handle better, or make the car look better.

therefore, it = a waste of money.
not completely true. test pipe from custommaxima is good stuff, fits on the car really well and lines up perfectly. before my test pipe, i made a perfect run of 14.38. after, with a slipping trans and hitting the rev limiter, i ran 14.31. considering the run was a lot worse and the conditions/launch the same, id say thats an increase of power.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Hoooper
not completely true. test pipe from custommaxima is good stuff, fits on the car really well and lines up perfectly. before my test pipe, i made a perfect run of 14.38. after, with a slipping trans and hitting the rev limiter, i ran 14.31. considering the run was a lot worse and the conditions/launch the same, id say thats an increase of power.

Please keep going...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Hoooper

i have nothing more to say, the truth is already out there, other than that it sounds better too.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
You should thank my D***

I have the cattman fastcat.
Would I gain more horsepower by switching to this straight pipe?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Hoooper

according to upstate it will suck all the power out of you engine. i dont know if it will make more power than a fastcat, but since you already have a fastcat theres no point to get a straightpipe, already flowing just about as good as possible

Old 03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
retired moderator

7 hundreths of a second at a drag strip hardly consitute scientific evidence.

1. you ran at different times, so the temperature, humidity, wind, etc would have an effect on your times. Just a 10% humidity difference can have a noticeable effect on the way the engine performs.
2. nobody puts up identical times every time down the track. Do you know how small of a difference 7/100 of a second is?
3. nobody is contesting the fitament, just the fact that the so-called "extra flow" is not needed unless you are FI, or at least have headers. I remember when soonerfan put the CM straight pipe on his maxima, and it was hard to start, sounded like garbage, and had no backpressure at all.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
retired moderator

bottom line: on a lightly-engine-modded maxima, a straight pipe is only for sound, not for power.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:08 PM

according to upstate it will suck all the power out of you engine. i dont know if it will make more power than a fastcat, but since you already have a fastcat theres no point to get a straightpipe, already flowing just about as good as possible

When did I say you will lose power??

It just does not MAKE power and as Irish said, a drag slip is not proof that it made power. There are WAY to many variables to say a test pipe saved that time.

Show me an independent dyno of it gaining serious power and I will STFU. Tell then, I call BS.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Hoooper

i never said serious power, just that 5-10 is doable. i already had some stuff done so maybe thats why it helped. but 7/100 of a second is 7hp. the 14.38 i ran was the BEST i could have done, no way to be better. it was perfect. the 14.31 was NOT perfect, could have been better and definitely could have been better with a good transmission, not the transmission that was actually missing first on the first try then getting in on the second try.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

i never said serious power, just that 5-10 is doable. i already had some stuff done so maybe thats why it helped. but 7/100 of a second is 7hp. the 14.38 i ran was the BEST i could have done, no way to be better. it was perfect. the 14.31 was NOT perfect, could have been better and definitely could have been better with a good transmission, not the transmission that was actually missing first on the first try then getting in on the second try.
There are so many variables in your specific case, that you cannot clearly conclude that the CustomEnterprises pipe had any effect on your times. And estimating increased HP figures from your time slips is far from accurate.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

but 7/100 of a second is 7hp
Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Drug Money

I originally had just the Cattman muffler on my car - quieter than GReddy EVO.

Tonight, I installed Cattman y-pipe, CE test pipe, and Frankencar b-pipe...

The thing is maaad loud! The straight cat is resonated, but it is not long enough to have a sound-deadening effect. All i know is the whp from the butt dyno tonight
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 AM

You can buy a SS Test Pipe from LSS Exhaust for approx $20 US

http://thewrx.netfirms.com/lss/frame.htm
Old 03-21-2006, 05:49 AM
On the pedobear bandwagon

Does the LSS have to be welded on? I'd rather have one be bolt on... so that I can swap them out easily if needed... Also... will i get the bees in a can noise? Also... does anyone know their email address? There isn't one listed under "contact us".
Old 03-21-2006, 06:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by jdmaxima89
Does the LSS have to be welded on? I'd rather have one be bolt on... so that I can swap them out easily if needed... Also... will i get the bees in a can noise? Also... does anyone know their email address? There isn't one listed under "contact us".
It bolts right in.

Just call them.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have stillen Y-pipe, custom max test pipe, and greddy exhaust....
it is REALLY REALLY REALLY loud.... dont get a greddy exhuast unless you want a lot a tickets....
and you will get a check engine light....
Old 03-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Hoooper

you got yours from the y-pipe, not the pipe. as for anybody whose saying its crap, ok thats your choice. but the truth is that in my case i got more power. its that simple.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 AM

but the truth is that in my case i got more power. its that simple.
Its only simple if you choose to believe that which is false. Its not truth in this case, but mere opinion.

Originally Posted by irish44j
7 hundreths of a second at a drag strip hardly consitute scientific evidence.

1. you ran at different times, so the temperature, humidity, wind, etc would have an effect on your times. Just a 10% humidity difference can have a noticeable effect on the way the engine performs.
2. nobody puts up identical times every time down the track. Do you know how small of a difference 7/100 of a second is?
3. nobody is contesting the fitament, just the fact that the so-called "extra flow" is not needed unless you are FI, or at least have headers. I remember when soonerfan put the CM straight pipe on his maxima, and it was hard to start, sounded like garbage, and had no backpressure at all.
Originally Posted by SEmy2k2go
There are so many variables in your specific case, that you cannot clearly conclude that the CustomEnterprises pipe had any effect on your times. And estimating increased HP figures from your time slips is far from accurate.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by jdmaxima89
Its bolt on. mufflers@allstream.net

Bees in the can come from a flex pipe.