5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

is there a good leather repair product?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:22 PM

is there a good leather repair product?

either a leather repair product or should i just try an upholsterer? I just saw that i have 2 cuts in my drivers seat right close to the door on the edge of the seat. I dont want them to open up and get worse..thanks for any suggestions
Old 03-29-2006, 03:24 PM

I also need a repair on my seat. my seatbelt has rubbed on the edge of the seat for the last 110,000 miles and it has a worn spot on the seam of the drivers seat. I have seen products on TV commercials that are like patches, but I have never heard of anyone using them. I am interested to hear if anyone has done any repairs to their seats and what products they have used.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Walmart

If its not really bad try going to the auto section of Walmart and get the Permatex vinyl and leather repair kit. Its not expensive and comes with color matches.
Other than that goto a good detail shop but it'll cost way more.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:06 PM

If it's a big tear, you'll need a repair kit which will require a patch to cover it, and paint to match your leather. I had repaired a tear in my back seat and it came out so good, you can't even tell. Mine wasn't a big tear, it was just a deep scratch ruining the surface. All I did was just buy some 1500 wet sandpaper and went to work. I applied a small amount of glue from one of those leather repair kits to seal the tear and wet sanded over the tear. Overall, it looks good and didn't even require paint to repair the area. The object is to keep the sandpaper wet, so that the leather does'nt get ruined. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:10 AM

I had a tear in a seat and asked the dealer who they used and was referred to a mobile leather repair guy who did several dealers in the area. He used a mesh patch and put it into the cut, underneath the leather, then tinted an adhesive to match. After it dried he sanded it smooth and recolored the area. He charged $50 but I took the car to him for the work.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:39 PM

i was thinking about getting this one http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/google_index.htm lexol makes it, so i should hope that it is a good one..not cheap though..only thing is it doesnt list a black color for the leather, i am curious if it is a dark gray?? if anyone knows let me know, thanks in advance
Old 03-30-2006, 07:48 PM

Will this stuff work on steering wheels?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:39 AM

I believe the dark gray is the "black" leather interior color. I think you should be able to confirm this by calling Nissan and giving them the vehicle VIN. Also, there is a plate on the firewall that has trim/color info stamped on it. Not sure if it lists interior color.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by tdashmike
Will this stuff work on steering wheels?
one of the testimonials: Your instructions on repairing a leather steering wheel are nothing short of amazing! I followed the directions I received from your site to brush on instant krazy glue and use backing soda exactly as you recommended. Then I sanded the repair to a smooth finish . Today I painted on the magic mender colorflex leather and vinyl coating as instructed .: Toyota med oak 456 ( a perfect match by the way) and the results are a near perfect restoration of the steering wheel on my 1993 Toyota Camry. Toyota quoted me $ 800 to replace the steering wheel. I restored it thanks to you for less than $40. It was truly amazing. Thanks for the great instructions and support. Please use this as a customer testimonial. I only wish I had " before" pictures to compare to the final result. If your other products work this well, no wonder you are the leaders in leather repair!
Old 04-01-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by albundy
one of the testimonials: Your instructions on repairing a leather steering wheel are nothing short of amazing! I followed the directions I received from your site to brush on instant krazy glue and use backing soda exactly as you recommended. Then I sanded the repair to a smooth finish . Today I painted on the magic mender colorflex leather and vinyl coating as instructed .: Toyota med oak 456 ( a perfect match by the way) and the results are a near perfect restoration of the steering wheel on my 1993 Toyota Camry. Toyota quoted me $ 800 to replace the steering wheel. I restored it thanks to you for less than $40. It was truly amazing. Thanks for the great instructions and support. Please use this as a customer testimonial. I only wish I had " before" pictures to compare to the final result. If your other products work this well, no wonder you are the leaders in leather repair!
Sweet! Will have to look into it.