5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 NISSAN MAXIMA SE Hypergrounding kit PowerPoint Presentation.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:17 AM

2003 NISSAN MAXIMA SE Hypergrounding kit PowerPoint Presentation.

I hope this links you to the presentation. With the HELP I am receiving from Progress (Thank you), I am trying to get the Presentation available to you all on how I made my Hypergrounding kit and how much it cost. ENJOY!

http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0L...I0J9NLJXM94OGR
Old 04-13-2006, 09:35 AM

Will this work the exact same for 2000-2001 maximas?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Nice presentation. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:54 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Very nice presentation. Looks like I have another summer project to do! Ground kit REDO!
Old 04-13-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by scheibler
Will this work the exact same for 2000-2001 maximas?
I am not sure because I have never looked in the engine bay of a 00-01 Max. Sorry I cant be of much help to you. You might look at the PP Presentation and see if you have the same grounding points. Hope that works.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown81
Very nice presentation. Looks like I have another summer project to do! Ground kit REDO!
The only other thing I would do and that I have done is add another grounding wire from the Neg Terminal of the Battery to another grounding point right on the back side of the battery. If you are standing infront of the car looking at the battery, on the back left side you will see another grounding point.

Hope it works for you this summer.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:53 PM

so what exactly does hypergrounding do? im electricity challenged.

great work on the presentation, btw
Old 04-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Out of Order . . .

Thanks for the presentation, now I can tackle my own grounding kit!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by neville610135
so what exactly does hypergrounding do? im electricity challenged.

great work on the presentation, btw
Alright.....I am going to be as honest as I can. I installed this going by what others say. I also searched high and low on the net on information on Hypergrounding kits. Basically, it's supposed to help your engine because if the ground is a really good ground then your electrical system doesn't have to work as hard and anything you can do to make your car run easier... is better.

You don't have to buy a fancy kit that is in the hundreds of dollars. Just get a good set if oxygen free high efficiency copper wires. All you are doing is making better grounds on the intake manifold, cylinder head, exhaust manifold (basically any place that has sensors or electronics). Making the metering more accurate and making the battery work less. Just as I have done on the Maxima but I don't know if it really made a difference.

Some Claims:
1. With Hyper Ground, you can get more horsepower, more torque, better gas mileage, crisper throttle response, and brighter lights!
2. Noticeably smoother, quicker starts, more responsive, better shifting
3.For a while I have known about Grounding wires and always felt they were Snake oil. Why the hell would I pay over $100 for some wires? However the mod bug hit me and I started looking around for a simple mod when I stumbled upon a 13 page thread dealing with grounding wires. After Reading the thread I saw that 90% of the people who had them installed kept coming back saying how great it was, especially the 5AT drivers. The other few said It did nothing for them. I looked on ebay and found a custom kit made by a 350z driver. It was going for $50 shipped so I ordered it. The Kit came it was very well made with easy instructions. Took about an hour and was a very simple install.

After install I went for a drive and I noticed very little difference until I pulled up to my first red light. I noticed my idle rpms were the same when I first stopped (750rpm) Then the needle would very slowly start to drop... then it SHOT down to 650 rpm joined by a shaking of the car

Kept drivng around and it kept happening although each time a little less violent when the rpm dropped. Then It stopped and now my idle is 650rpm and the engine feels very smooth. I guess the ECU was adjusting so the wires must have had some effect.

Now on to the biggest surprise 5 AT shifting has been improved! feels much smoother and faster! So now I am thinking to myself my mind is only playing tricks on me and I am falling into the hype. Then I put the car in manumatic and ever since I have had the car the 2-1 manumatic downshift has always been very disturbing on my car. It was very rough, so much that I took it to the dealer when I first got it and he said it was normal. The 3-1 downshift was fine however when coming to a stop in 2nd gear the downshift to first was always very harsh. I would like to report that thanks to the grounding kit this is now eliminated and I am a very happy customer!

My Experience: The idle is smoother at a stop. Other than that I am not sure about any horsepower gain. It would look better if I got more colorfull wire but nothing, NOTHING can beat the copper strand count in the ARC WELDING WIRE. I think it looks alright as well. For around $25.00 and my time in doing this project, I AM HAPPY WITH IT.

Enjoy
Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks for a good write up, where can i get those orange wires?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:58 PM

very nice write up thanks for a new project
Old 04-13-2006, 06:16 PM

thanks for the explanation. unfortunately, i dont have a maxima anymore, but ill use that knowledge to try to figure it out on my new car, probably gonna be a Nissan Sylvia S14 Zenki. Hopefully the KA or SR engine doesnt differ too much from the VQ.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:31 PM
大陆弟弟

Dude, why did you REpost the PPT that chr0nos and I have been posting the last week????
Old 04-13-2006, 09:56 PM

does it matter what gauge wire u use? is it better to use a 4 gauge?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:48 AM

according to blehmco 8 gauge wire is enough, personally, i'm gonna do 4 gauge...
Old 04-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Kevlo for President

What makes it Hyper and not just plain grounding
Old 04-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
thanks for a good write up, where can i get those orange wires?
I got them from an electrical wharehouse. This type of wire is not in your basic hardware store like some of the other ones you see on the net that you can buy at a stereo store or Home Depot. You would have to actually call around.

I just got off the phone with AIRGAS in Tacoma WA and they called it Whip Cable, Orange welding wire. The price ranged here in WA from $1.25 a foot to $2.50 a foot. I called several shops and they all Knew what I was talking about when I said Orange Whip Cable for welding. It literally has HUNDREDS of copper wire strands in it. Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:25 PM

Repost of Grounding Kit

Originally Posted by n3985
Dude, why did you REpost the PPT that chr0nos and I have been posting the last week????
Your telling me you have the exact same POWEPOINT PRESENTAION?! I find that Hard to believe UNLESS I EMAILED THIS TOO YOU. That would be the only way you have it. Give me a link and I will check out what your posting. The question came up about grounding so I POSTED MY PP slide in hopes of helping others. LOCK ME UP and throw away the key. Just trying to help, "DUDE!"
Old 04-14-2006, 01:42 PM
大陆弟弟

The guide was given to me by chr0nos a few months ago...see recent thread here

http://forum.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=465843&page=2

If you created the original PPT, then nevermind, as I thought it would be a ....and props to you if you did originally create it
Old 04-14-2006, 03:50 PM

No Big Deal.

The guide was given to me by chr0nos a few months ago...see recent thread here

http://forum.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=465843&page=2

If you created the original PPT, then nevermind, as I thought it would be a ....and props to you if you did originally create it
I did create the Power Point Presentation, but that is niether here nor there. At the time of makeing the presentation I didn't know how to make a link to it. Since then other org members have enlightened me. THANK YOU! I will be improving on the slide show this weekend. The reason, becuase I have seen how you and others have found more grounding points. I also want to move all the wires from the Negative battery terminal down to the ground behind the battery and then run another wire from that ground up to the negative Battery Terminal as you have done.

I will add to the Presentation and I will hopefully include all the grounds. MAYBE! Take Care.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:26 PM

great presentation. i think this is the first ppt "how to" i've ever seen.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by mingo
great presentation. i think this is the first ppt "how to" i've ever seen.
Thanks
The presentation will be revised this weekend after I hook up some more of the grounding points that other members have shown me. Stay tooned!
Old 04-15-2006, 10:57 PM

Update.

Today I found the Transmission ground, both headlight grounds, and the fusebox ground. I have to get more wire adapters (those things you crimp, whatever they are called) to complete the rest of the connections. Once I have completed this, perhaps on Sunday or Monday, count on another PowerPoint presentation showing the locations of the aforementioned grounds. It will be posted no later than Monday. HAPPY EASTER TO ALL!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:20 PM

looking foward to it camt wait
Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 AM

waiting to do mine until you update the presentation
Old 04-17-2006, 04:45 AM
Tha Snatcher

Wow that's great
Old 04-17-2006, 06:01 AM

yea.....good stuff
Old 04-17-2006, 12:55 PM

The Updated Powepoint Slide As Promised!

Here is the link to the new updated Powerpoint Slide as I promised.

ENJOY!

http://download.yousendit.com/86E5CDE366D131C1
Old 04-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Thinks he is fast

First of all, I want to thank you for preparing a very detailed presentation explaining everything. I have been looking a 5.5 gen specific grounding how-to for a while and have come up with nothing until now. Does this include the "big three" that many of us 5th genners know of for increasing the efficiency of the alternator? As far as I can see it does but I am not that educated on it. What changes did you notice right away other than the transmission shifting faster (I have a 6 speed)? I am definately going to do this when finals are over with, thanks again.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:44 PM

The grounding has the big 3 that include the Transmission, Engine, and the Alternator. Since I have an automatic (to bad not the manual) I noticed it idles right around 500-600 rpms quicker and smoother and the transmission shifts like butter (I also did the flush with AMSOIL). I have yet too see a SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN POWER but I like the grounding kit and the suttle things it has done so far. Not only that but it was fun making the kit and finding all the grounding points.
Glad you like the presentation. My wife thought I was doing way to much work for just a grounding kit............ but HEY, I enjoy doing things like that.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:33 PM

If for some reason the link does not work you can email me at aprilbouchard@hotmail.com and I will send you a copy of the Grounding kit Install.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:57 PM

Damn Good Question!

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
What makes it Hyper and not just plain grounding
I really don't know, if I were to take a quess it would be the amount of wires required to do the job. Thats hillarious now that I think about it. I really can't recall were I got that name from.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:19 AM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by My_first_maxima
I really don't know, if I were to take a quess it would be the amount of wires required to do the job. Thats hillarious now that I think about it. I really can't recall were I got that name from.
Sun Autosystem were the first to introduce to the US the "Hyperground System", the name stuck afterwards.

Also, here is another link for the PPT.

http://portfolio.iu.edu/nayang/Hyper...7_April_06.ppt

Lastly, can you elaborate on the tranny ground more? I just take off the wheelwell cover on the left side, and I'll see it?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM
大陆弟弟

Forgot to say that you should tell in the PPT, for people to buy a steel wire bursh, to clean the ground points and the factory ground ring terminals. That way, wth all the rust and oxidation minimized, the new wires will have better conductivity.

And how long should the tranny ground wire be? Good job on the PPT
Old 04-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't want to rain on the parade here, but what is the benefit? I find it hard to believe that Nissan doesn't know how to do this. Reminds me of all the folks that are absolutely convinced that they "hear" the oxygen-free copper in their speaker cables.

So -- is there a benefit or just a placebo effect?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 PM

Tranny Ground.

Sun Autosystem were the first to introduce to the US the "Hyperground System", the name stuck afterwards.

Also, here is another link for the PPT.

http://portfolio.iu.edu/nayang/Hyper...7_April_06.ppt

Lastly, can you elaborate on the tranny ground more? I just take off the wheelwell cover on the left side, and I'll see it?
The Transmission ground is hard to see by just getting under the front left side of the car. You have to remove the panel. If you are facing the left front tire, look toward the front of the plat wheel well portion above the CV joint. There is a panel that has a screw and then on the front underside you will see a 10 mm bolt head. Unsrew the retaining bolt and the the 10mm bolt and fold the front of the panel back. You should see factory ground on the transmission. If this does not help I can take another picture further away and highlight the area.

Just let me know.

Also very good point by N3985, DONT FORGET THE WIRE BRUSH. As some of the wires had green/yellowish oxidation on them. Good heads up!

That ground wire goes from the Transmission ground to the chassis ground right behind the battery. Its about 2 feet long. What I did to measure the distance was ran a string from one bolt to the other, that way I had an idea of how long the wire had to be. I used a rope and had a permanent marker so I could mark the rope.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jdialc
Don't want to rain on the parade here, but what is the benefit? I find it hard to believe that Nissan doesn't know how to do this. Reminds me of all the folks that are absolutely convinced that they "hear" the oxygen-free copper in their speaker cables.

So -- is there a benefit or just a placebo effect?
aren't you supposed to get better gas milage with better electrical connections? That would be the noticable benefit.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When you use red wires you gaining 1mpg for every additional grounding point.
With blue wires 1hp (on wheels).
Old 04-20-2006, 08:26 PM

The Benefits.

Originally Posted by grubas
When you use red wires you gaining 1mpg for every additional grounding point.
With blue wires 1hp (on wheels).
The BENEFITS as jokingly said above is very minimal. After puttin together a couple of grounding kits I will list the only benefits that I see and feel.

1. The transmission shifts smother, it really does!
2. The Max has a very smooth idle at 500rpm.
3. The kit has increased the conductivity of over the plain stock wires.
4. It does give it alittle bit of added appeal, especially if your use the color wires.

5. I was able to find all the grounding points and the installation gave me some time with my car, alone

I can not legitamently claim that these kits give you more horsepower. If it does I CANT FEEL IT. But I am happy and content with the other gains and improvements.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:27 PM
大陆弟弟

My Bose subwoofer also hit harder

Quick Reply: 2003 NISSAN MAXIMA SE Hypergrounding kit PowerPoint Presentation.