5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake freezing, red hot- Not e-brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Brake freezing, red hot- Not e-brake

2000 GLE, aftermarket wheels/slotted rotors, ceramic brake pads, stainless steel brake lines with factory calipers. E-brake hasn't been touched.

1 yr ago, had same problem with right rear brake, would drive and rotor would get super heated, swapped out caliper and seemed to get better. This was after a long ordeal with the dealership who recommended getting new calipers both rear tires, and replacing the entire e-brake line. Bought a Nissan caliper and had them swap it out, problem resolved. Needless to say, I am not a big fan of that dealership, particularly the service manager.

Now I am having problems with left rear, came home the other night and it was glowing red. I was unsure of status of e-brake, there was about an inch of toggle when pulling on the e-brake while sitting in the car.

Jacked up the car today to take a look. With the car up, the wheel spins ~2-3 revoutions. When I release the e-brake, it doesn't seem to make a difference, tubing looks fine. If I hit the hook where the e-brake attaches with a rubber mallet, the tires will then spin relatively freely, I can hear the brake touching the rotor, but there is a significant difference, because now the wheel spins.

Any idea of what the problem is?

My plan is to take the wheel off, take the caliper off and clean it? Pins sticking?

Any help would be appreciated. Car and wheels below, only change since has been slotted rotors.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:42 PM

bump for my brother!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Hoooper

sounds like your ebrake is not releasing. try taking the caliper off and cleaning the ebrake spring and making sure that the line isnt binding anywhere.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not sure if this will help since you narrowed down to the ebrake, but check if the brake piston in the caliper slides out freely. Sometimes those pistons get dirt and water in them and can form rust and get stuck. I had to take the whole piston out and polish it to make it glide again.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like seized calipers to me. I know MX-6's had similar problems in the 94-96 cars, rear calipers would seize up at about 60,000 miles very reliably.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:42 PM

I had the same EXACT problem on my 2000 SE two weeks ago.
Defective caliper, $125 for new caliper and labor.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:40 PM

Thanks Bro (Redstradic) for the bump.

Hooper: I don't think it is the e-brake, bc when I reapply it after hitting the hook, the brake doesn't lock.

Whtmax'01": I am of the same thinking as you.

2kSC: Who did the work on your car? Are you sure you caliper pins weren't sticking? I am guessing that swapping out parts is faster/easier/and makes the dealer/autoshop more money.

jcaputo: I am right at 60,000. Given that I swapped out my last caliper, this could be the problem. BUT, I never looked at the caliper, nor got under the car myself the first time. So I don't trust that it was just a bad caliper.

Why do calipers go bad? Does sticking sliders pin constitute a BAD caliper.

To more clearly explain my first post..............

Jacked up the car today to take a look. With the car up, the wheel spins ~2-3 revoutions. When I release the e-brake, it doesn't seem to make a difference, tubing looks fine. If I hit the hook where the e-brake attaches with a rubber mallet, the tires will then spin relatively freely, I can hear the brake touching the rotor, but there is a significant difference, because now the wheel spins. If I then pull the e-brake, the wheel stops as expected, when released, the wheel spins freely again.

I am relaying info above because I don't think it is the e-brake.

When I apply the foot brake, the brakes freeze up again. When I hit the hook that the e-brake attaches to, the brake releases again.

My plan is to take the caliper/brake pad off. Clean the sliders pin and relube them. Hopefully this will prevent the brake from catching.

Also, my brakes are squeaking when stopping. I had planned on putting some of the same lube between the ceramic brake pad and the caliper, as I heard this was a way to decrease brake squeal.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 04:44 PM

I had the same problem with a frozen caliper. I replaced both of the rear calipers for piece of mind. I got all my brake parts from www.internetautomart.com Make sure you replace your pads if you change that caliper. I the pads get that hot they get VERY brittle and will all apart in your hands.