5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you guys think of Black rims on a 5.5 gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What do you guys think of Black rims on a 5.5 gen

Hey guys I have a silver I35 with sport package and I have been playing with the idea of getting black 18s with a polished lip and than also going with a nice tint and black LEDs angel eyes that people are finding on Ebay for 35$. If I did this I would get H&R springs probably for the drop. The thing is I've always been an all go no show sort of guy so this would be a big step for me. But I think it would really look awsome. What do you guys think? Especially about the black rims with polished lip.. I am nervous I'm not gonna like them. I would either do that type of rim or does anyone have a picture of a 5th gen or I35 with a deep dished wheel (I dont know if you know what I meen by that) but I seem to like rims where the spokes move in towards the axle as they come to the center rather than protrude out and if they are set into the rim a bit I really like that look. Hopefully you know what I meen.

Btw no right or wrong answers here I am looking purely for opinion.

My car looks stock right now. This is not mine but it is the exact same

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ube...fd.jpg&.src=ph

this is the type of rim I am thinking of just to give you an idea, this isnt exactly what I'm looking for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-BL...58801463QQrdZ1

Also nice but I'm not considering dubs. Too big... I want to keep performance
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-LE...59010156QQrdZ1

If your good at photochoppin and have some free time it would be cool to see what it would look like with a tint and black rims w/ polished lip. Also how much do you guys think I could get for my stock rims given they are in good condition, never been curbed or anything like that but do have scratches that are typical on a car with 60k miles?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:21 PM

Depending on the wheel I think it would look good with a silver and especially, a black car. But your the one driving it. You have to like it. Check out http://www.tirerack.com/ and maybe you can put a set of black wheels on your car on that site.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:25 PM

i think a black rim would look good. there is a guy in my town that has some and it looks great. another thing can someone tell me how to post my own threads? pls help i have lots of info that i would like to post.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 03maxima1
Depending on the wheel I think it would look good with a silver and especially, a black car. But your the one driving it. You have to like it. Check out http://www.tirerack.com/ and maybe you can put a set of black wheels on your car on that site.

Tirerack is helpful at times but for some reason the photo they show never looks like what I know my car would look like with those rims. Plus a lot of the time when you select black rims on that site you cant see them at all because they have a black background behind the cars.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I'm in the same boat... I plan to get some black or dark silver/gunmetal wheels for my Max sometime this summer. It'll look good, I think. Something like this: Motegi DP10

i think a black rim would look good. there is a guy in my town that has some and it looks great. another thing can someone tell me how to post my own threads? pls help i have lots of info that i would like to post.
You have to have 15 posts, first.... :-)
Old 04-24-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
Tirerack is helpful at times but for some reason the photo they show never looks like what I know my car would look like with those rims. Plus a lot of the time when you select black rims on that site you cant see them at all because they have a black background behind the cars.
Black, gunmetal, silver: all will look good on a silver car. It is all contingent on the type of wheel and most importantly, your taste.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:08 PM

I have been looking at that second set of wheels for my Infiniti too. Looking for 18's or 19's. Not sure if I would go with black on a silver car though.

I have the Millenium Jade (a darker color) with black tint and black headlight/foglight surrounds. This is why I think a darker wheel would look good on my car.

With your color I would go with a polished aluminum or even chrome wheel. They have that second wheel in chrome and it looks killer! This is also coming form a preson who is not big on chrome wheels.

BTW, if you do get serious about these would you PM me the weight... Been curious for a while.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Black, gunmetal, silver: all will look good on a silver car. It is all contingent on the type of wheel and most importantly, your taste.
Yeah those are all the ones I am looking at. I have no use for chrome bling or whatever you wanna call it. The only rims I would be able to buy would probably be considered by most to be cheap. So I dont have a ton of money to spend yet I also dont want my car to be any slower than it was before thus I cant get stupidly heavy rims and of course they gotta look good or whats the point at all?

So yeah a damn tall order which make me wonder if I'll even go through with it. But I am just bouncin some ideas off you guys. I was gonna build an all out performance car but now that I have been thinking about buying a second car as a weekend racer my focus for this car has been shifted from performance to luxury and style.

Hell if I wanted it to be quick I shouldent add so much damn stuff to it. Between the SFCs, the LTB the strut bar, the rear sway bar and a 12" sub I am sure I am going to be loosing some acceleration already. I just hope because they are mainly handling mods that the car will be MUCH better overall just because it can finally handle as well as it can accelerate. I knew the first night I had my car that it was over motored compared to its handling limits when I brought it down a curvy road.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:12 PM

Personally, I like black rims on a black car.

Those angel eyes might not fit. We have two different size hi/low reflectors. You need a smaller and a bigger angel eye.

I did angel eyes in my factory A33 I30 headlights. They were not the ones the people in the 5th gen forum are picking up.

Angel eyes I used:

Did get them off ebay though.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by StL I30
Personally, I like black rims on a black car.

Those angel eyes might not fit. We have two different size hi/low reflectors. You need a smaller and a bigger angel eye.

I did angel eyes in my factory A33 I30 headlights. They were not the ones the people in the 5th gen forum are picking up.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2161198_6.jpg

Angel eyes I used:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...198_9_full.jpg

Did get them off ebay though.
Jeesh makes me wonder if they will fit at all. I guess I could buy them and try it and if they dont work I am sure I could sell them to someone on the board for 10$ less or something and then the whole board would gain the knowledge if it is compatible or not.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Play with my balls

Black rims are hidious, don't get them.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:29 PM

Whet springs are you runnin?
Coilovers?

How big are those rims?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Play with my balls

Whet springs are you runnin?
Coilovers?
In the picture is Progress/Illuminas. I now have S-Techs/Illuminas.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
In the picture is Progress/Illuminas. I now have S-Techs/Illuminas.
Wow thats with progress? Progress dont drop the car much at all and that setup looks good. The other thing I just thought of is that I am in New England so I need a pretty tough rim.. potholes here are brutal

Now can anyone with photochopin skills put those rims on the silver I35?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Toolie

Awesome deckdout... I've been wanting to do something very similar. Those black rims look sweet!!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:39 PM

Black rims would looks very nice on you car..i have a set of 18' black rims on my max i love the look of them!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:45 PM

it will look SICK
Old 04-24-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by roll4life
it will look SICK
I noticed that all the black rims seem to be on black cars, is there anyone with a silver 5.5 gen with black rims so I can see what it looks like.

Thanks

btw these black 5.5 gens look sick with the black rims
Old 04-24-2006, 05:45 PM

"Quote:
FOR SALE BY OWNER: Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica! 45 volumes. Excellent condition. $1,000 or best offer. No longer needed, getting married in November. Wife knows everything......"

I love your Quote. When my wife acts like that i just want to
Old 04-24-2006, 05:50 PM

I noticed that all the black rims seem to be on black cars, is there anyone with a silver 5.5 gen with black rims so I can see what it looks like.
So get Gun Metal or Silver. I have the Titanium ED. max and bought gun metal to match.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Play with my balls

Wow thats with progress? Progress dont drop the car much at all and that setup looks good. The other thing I just thought of is that I am in New England so I need a pretty tough rim.. potholes here are brutal

Now can anyone with photochopin skills put those rims on the silver I35?
I didn't think they dropped that much either, but with these 19's they seem to sit lower in the rear. With my stock wheels, they look even. I needed a bigger drop in the front so I went with the S-Techs. I wanted coilovers, but that's far fetched right now. If you want solid wheels, go with forged. I would like the 19" Volk GTS in Gunmetal, or the GramsLights 57s Pro in 19's. Lightweight and strong. But then again, out of my price range. Guys on here and friends I know have AXIS Wheels and they hold up to road disfunctions very well. What look are you going for, and what sizes were you considering?

When choosing a black wheel, you must keep in mind the size and design. If you go with a size that doesn't flow well, and a style that follows those attributes, then it won't look right. The color makes a difference as well, but with your silver it will turn out nice as long as you make your theme dark.....carbon fiber hood would be nice.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Awesome deckdout... I've been wanting to do something very similar. Those black rims look sweet!!
Thank you. 3 out of the 5 of these have a minor bend that I have to get fixed soon. I need to find tires with stiff sidewalls as well, maybe I'll try the Toyo T1R's. I still haven't seen them on with my new drop.

btw attach to my last post, if you get something with a lip, it will less as strong.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by roll4life
it will look SICK
You know how we roll, y0!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Play with my balls

"Quote:
FOR SALE BY OWNER: Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica! 45 volumes. Excellent condition. $1,000 or best offer. No longer needed, getting married in November. Wife knows everything......"

I love your Quote. When my wife acts like that i just want to
This describes my days best.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:47 PM

Rims are soo played. Stay sleeper!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 AM

not a big fan of black rims, but some that have the polished lip look real nice. Just make sure the black finish is glossy.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:18 AM
THIS IS...

I have gunmetal rims on my 20th AE Pearl White max. If you want, PM me and Ill send some pics your way. I personally like black/gunmetal rims
Old 04-25-2006, 07:17 AM

Different strokes for different folks as long as you like them who cares? Go with your gut you'll be happy
Old 04-25-2006, 07:30 AM
THIS IS...

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Different strokes for different folks as long as you like them who cares? Go with your gut you'll be happy
Quoted for troof. You know, its what you want not what others want...
Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 AM

well see the thing is I cant imagine how certain rims would look on my car. And I see a lot of bad rims on cars and it can really make the car look like crap. A good set of rims can really enhance a cars appearence greatly so if I am gonna spend the money for rims I want to be absolutly sure it will look great.

You can also get a bunch of parts that look good on other cars but when you put them on your car they look like crap because they dont work together well
Old 04-25-2006, 08:46 AM

i think they would look good on your car.i got mine for free when discount tires gouged 3 of the four rims putting pilots on and the car only had 11000 miles on it.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I like the fact that you are finally thinking of adding some show to your car and that it's not just raw perforance. I love raw performance to, I really don't care about the look because i'll never get to see that part of the car. Anyways I'll answer your question, the rims that you want to get look awesome but i'm not a fan of black. If it were up to me i would pick them in silver
vertex
Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 PM

alpine i love your signature LOL

i have a Charcoal Grey MAx i'm thinking of getting the G35c rims but in gun metal....
Old 04-25-2006, 02:19 PM

Btw I have one major concern that I have been thinkin about after seeing some black rims with a polished lip on other cars. That is that sometimes (depending on the rim) it seems like the black rims look smaller on the car than they actually are in comparison to some rims which look bigger on the car than they really are. Like I said before I think rim choice is VERY hard because it can really make or break the look of your car and your putting a lot of money down so its not like you could go and try a few sets out to see what you like.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by melvinman2003
Rims are soo played. Stay sleeper!
sleepers are boring
Old 04-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Play with my balls

Btw I have one major concern that I have been thinkin about after seeing some black rims with a polished lip on other cars. That is that sometimes (depending on the rim) it seems like the black rims look smaller on the car than they actually are in comparison to some rims which look bigger on the car than they really are. Like I said before I think rim choice is VERY hard because it can really make or break the look of your car and your putting a lot of money down so its not like you could go and try a few sets out to see what you like.
Yes, black with a polished lip will make you wheels look a little smaller than just silver wheels. This is where style and size come into play. 19's are the smallest I'd go with this setup if you're worried about looks. The drop also will help or hinder. It has to be low to increase the perception of the wheels.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Black rims never photograph well. I think they're hit and miss personally. Usually miss especially with a polished lip.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by phorty
Black rims never photograph well. I think they're hit and miss personally. Usually miss especially with a polished lip.
Yeah I am just trying to go with a theme here. I thought the dark rims with the dark headlights and dark tint would go well together and would in a cool way contrast with the silver
Old 04-26-2006, 07:33 AM

Well you have to make a bet. I guess whether if the black will look good depend on the style and paint used on the rim. Sometimes I say sometimes they look REALLY UGLY because its dull and from a far distance, because of the design, it looks like those winter steelies . Personally, I think gunmetal will look great.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by phorty
No one misses mine...the only time you get hit and miss is maybe at night, except when light flashes on them...i think its all about the definition of the rim design